Author Topic: Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen Thangka  (Read 5016 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen Thangka
« on: December 23, 2011, 10:44:10 AM »
This is a thangka of Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen from the collection of the Rubin Museum of Art which I thought I'd share here. It was painted in between 1700 - 1799, and is ground mineral pigment on cotton.

The write up accompanying the thangka is as follows:

Dragpa Gyaltsen: one of the two principal spiritual sons of Je Tsongkapa. The other and first of the spiritual sons was Gyaltsab Dharma Rinchen. This system was later changed and Kedrub was added as the second heart-son. Regardless, this is a rare central depiction of an important figure in Gelug History. The painting forms part of a larger composition, a set of unknown number.

Seated at the top left side is Jampal Gyatso. Gyaltsab Dharma Rinchen is seated at the top right. At the bottom left is Sherab Sengge.

According to some followers and written texts of the Gelug Tradition, Duldzin Dragpa Gyaltsen was a pre-incarnation of the protector deity Dorje Shugden. This deity has recently been the subject of much controversy within the Tibetan Buddhist community.

This painting is in a unique style with slightly mixed elements of both Central Tibet and Kham style of painting possibly from the Chamdo region. The individual composition is from a larger set of unknown number with Je Tsongkapa likely to be the central painting. No other paintings from this set are currently known. A number of other documented paintings are now considered to be by the same artist.

Jeff Watt 2-2008

Duldzin Dragpa Gyaltsen Biography

Duldzin Dragpa Gyaltsen, 1374-1434, ('dul 'dzin grags pa rgyal mtshan) was born in Drangyul (sbrang yul), in U. A Kadampa monk, he was a main disciple of Tsongkapa Lobzang Dragpa (tsong kha pa blo bzang grags pa, 1357-1419) and Gyaltsab Je Dharma Rinchen (rgyal tshab rje dar ma rin chen, 1364-1432). He was regarded by some followers of the Gelug tradition as one of the Je Yabsesum (rje yab sras gsum), the two main disciples of Tsongkapa, in place of Khedrub Je Geleg Palzangpo (mkhas grub rje dge legs dpal bzang, 1385-1438). He ordained with Drigung Choje ('bri gung chos rje) and studied also with Drigung Kutog Nyernyipa ('bri gung sku thog nyer gnyis pa, d.u.). He later studied Vinaya at Dragtsan (brag tshan), and mastered the complete works of Buton Rinchen Drub (bu ston rin chen grub, 1290-1364).

Tsongkapa praised Dragpa Gyaltsen for his strict mastery of the monastic codes. He is known for his writing on the Vinaya as well as on the Sarvadurgati Parisodhana Tantra. Most of his known compositions are currently unaccounted for.

Dragpa Gyaltsen founded the monastery of Tsunmo Tsal (btsun mo tshal) in Tagtse Dzong (stag rtse rdzong), in U.

His students numbered all of the most important Gelug lamas of his day. Among them were Jamyang Choje Tashi Palden ('jam dbyangs chos rje bkra shis dpal ldan, 1379-1449), the founder of Drepung Monastery ('bras spungs).

Sources:

Tshe mchog gling yongs 'dzin ye shes rgyal mtshan. 1970 (1787). Byang chub lam gyi rim pa'i bla ma brgyud pa'i rnam par thar pa rgyal mtshan mdzes pa'i rgyan mchog phul byung nor bu'i phreng ba. New Delhi: Ngawang Gelek Demo. Vol I, pp. 822 ff.

Grags pa 'byung gnas. 1992. Gangs can mkhas grub rim byon ming mdzod. Lanzhou: Kan su'u mi rigs dpe skrun khang, pp. 886-887.

Gene Smith, February 2010 [Extracted from the Treasury of Lives, Tibetan lineages website. Edited and formatted for inclusion on the Himalayan Art Resources website. April, 2010].

http://www.himalayanart.org/image.cfm/65826.html
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaDefender

Re: Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen Thangka
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
Seems the Rubin Museum is quite the fan of Dorje Shugden...or at the very least, they dont pander to anti-Shugden, pro-Tibetan sentiments. Perhaps they arent into the politics either... art is art aye?

I know at the moment theyve got a comic exhibition going. Brilliant idea if you ask me, I wouldnt have guessed Tibet featured in quite so many comics had they not brought it up...suppose the western fascination with Shangri-la has gone on for quite a while ;)

I like this depiction of Dulzin. He looks pensive, almost like he is considering the impact that his line of incarnations will have on the history of Tibetan Buddhism (or even Buddhism) in the future.

triesa

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:32:05 AM »
Thank you Wosdom Being for sharing this thangka of Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen. It is such a blessing to see the line of incarnations of Dorje Shugden.

Would love to see the actual painting!

hope rainbow

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
Seated at the top left side is Jampal Gyatso.
Gyaltsab Dharma Rinchen is seated at the top right.
At the bottom left is Sherab Sengge.

(1)
Who is at the bottom right?

(2)
Anyone has more specific info on Sherab Sengge to share here?

(3)
more info on Jampal Gyatso:
Jampel Gyatso was born in 1356 in the Tsongkha region of Amdo.
He entered the religious life at a young age, studying the Candrapradipa sutra and other scripture. Wishing to further his training, in 1373 he traveled to Lhasa, where he sought out teachers but avoided entering a monastery, wary of the many mundane duties the average monk is charged with.

At Dewachen, a branch of the Kadampa monastery Sangpu Neutok south of Lhasa, Jampel Gyatso attended a teaching Tsongkhapa was giving on the Uttaratantra.
Tsongkhapa recognized his acumen and advised him to study Madhyamaka philosophy in the formal setting of the Kadampa monasteries, advice which he followed.
He then attended teachings Tsongkhapa gave, with Umapa Pawo Dorje at Kyormolung monastery on Cakrasamvara.

Soon afterwards, as Tsongkhapa prepared to go into retreat, and he requested that Jampel Gyatso accompany him as one of eight disciples. The group set up a camp named Cholung in the Olka region of Dakpo, before moving to a cave in Gar. There they lived on juniper berries and meager provisions of grains, abstaining from all meat. For three years Jampel Gyatso received teachings on Lamrim, Guhyasamaja, Chakrasamvara, and Vajrabhairava, as well as Cho. In addition, Tsongkhapa transmitted the Ganden Mahamudra tradition that he had received directly from Manjushri, together with the traditions ephemeral scriptural collection known as the Trulpai Legbam, which Tsongkhapa gave to no one else. Later he would train again with Tsongkhapa at Olka Samten Ling, where Tsongkhapa taught Guhyasamaja.

In search of solitary retreat, Jampel Gyatso left Cholung for hermitages near Kadampa monasteries of Medro Gyelpoteng and Pangsa, northeast of Lhasa. For some time he gave teachings, but ultimately sealed up his cave and refused visitors, only increasing his renown. Like his teacher Umapa, he served as a medium of sorts for his main deity, Manjushri, taking questions from people to put before the god.

Jampel Gyatso passed away at Ganden in 1428 at the age of seventy-three. His main disciple was Baso Chokyi Gyeltsen (1402-1473) and Chennga Lodro Gyeltsen (1402-1472).

Poonlarp

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 06:14:01 AM »
Thanks Wisdom Being for sharing this, the thangka is very very nice.

The appearance of Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen is always peace and humble, this great master's contribution to Tibetan Buddhism is so vast. Imagine without him manifested as Dorje Shugden then, the Tsongkhapa's teaching of Middle Way might not be passed down for this long period until now.

Gabby Potter

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:00:13 PM »
Wow thank you so much for sharing the pictures of the thangka! I can't believe that it was drawn such a long time ago, it's so detailed and well preserved I must say.