Author Topic: China's Tibetan Buddhists 'in vicious cycle'  (Read 25488 times)

DharmaSpace

Re: China's Tibetan Buddhists 'in vicious cycle'
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »
Tibet will never be the same to CHina like Hong Kong. Hong Kong people are one of the most dynamic in Asia or even the world. Tibetans politicians like those within CTA are just self serving and doing whatever they can top help themselves. Tibetans should be grateful for the religious freedom the CHinese is giving them, at least there is no Dorje Shugden ban in Tibet.  Plus the tibetans should feel fortunate that China is developing their country.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 09:24:30 PM »
Yes, I totally agree. The Tibetans do not understand that the Chinese are actually doing them a favour by developing their country land. The view and perception that the Tibetans have is that the Chinese government is harming them due to the information that is constantly being fed to them. The CTA gives them all the different knowledge that is not true, but the Tibetans would believe because is what the CTA have said. They think that whatever CTA say would equals to Dalaia Lama says, and whatever Dalai Lama says would be equivalent to what the CTA says.

vajrastorm

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »
There are two issues I wish to raise here. The first is this: have self-immolations that, to date, number more than 100,  achieved its desired result? Has Tibet been freed and the Dalai Lama returned to 'his rightful place"?
'No' to both. So the lives have been lost in vain.  We have seen endless arguments presented here against self-immolation. Buddhists cannot take their own lives. It's against the 5 precepts and against the Refuge vows.

The second issue is that of freedom for Tibet. As far as I can see, the only freedom being fought for by self-immolators is "political freedom". At this moment in time, Tibetans in Tibet are free to practice Buddhism and follow their lineage practices. This includes the practice of Dorje Shugden. Whereas, back in the country f their exile, India, this freedom of religion has been taken away with the enforcement of the ban on Shugden practice.

As for the high lama who had committed self-immolation, why did he do that? To stir up more support for the cause of Tibet? Yet in the eyes of the world, it brought the image of the Tibetan sangha further down a notch or two. 

dsiluvu

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 03:42:09 PM »
Yes Vajrastorm... I think most Buddhist who have some kind of Dharma knowledge would agree that committing suicide such a self-immolation for political reasons is totally wrong and not befitting sangha who are suppose to be less attached to things, people and property. There could have been a better approach to get attention from the Chinese Govt... after all the lives sacrificed, what's the result? Anything dramatic improved? No...

Definitely at this moment, Tibet under China seems way more appealing than being under the CTA... at least in China you're not going to be discriminated for practicing Dorje Shugden. In this way, there is more freedom there for sure! Why would you wanna run back to CTA if you are Shugdenpa living in Tibet. On top of that the Chinese govt are helping to refurbish the monasteries. Well it sure looks like sooner or later Dorje Shugden practice will become a household practice in China, Tibet and it already has begun.   

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 10:16:55 PM »
It is definitely not right for ending committing suicide, no matter what reason is it for. Especially when we commit suicide for secular reasons, that would not help in any way at all. It is just pathetic that some Tibetans are doing this for the attention of the public, giving all the poor me stories which are not true at all. It does not mean that when the CTA is giving all these different poor me stories, all the Tibetans would have to follow as well. When this goes on, it does not benefit anyone at all. Instead it would prevent the Dharma from growing.

Considering the fact that most of these people that end their lives are members of the Sangha, they should know better to not do so. They should be turning the Dharma wheel instead of getting involved in all these politics that would not help them in the end.