Author Topic: Why not to hate the Dalai Lama for us  (Read 31032 times)

Galen

• Email
Re: Why not to hate the Dalai Lama for us
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 06:22:45 AM »
I am not qualified, but many of the Lamas that I have faith in have said directly that the actions of the Dalai Lama are wrong. Many Lamas also have protested. I have many pictures of the protests here in India that occured before the protests in the West.

And I praise the selflessness of the Dalai Lama to take this upon himself.
My words are written with wet eyes.

And I praise the selflessness of the brave monks who took all of the abuse upon themselves in order to send the Dalai Lama a message that his actions were harming people.

These monks derserve my respect first and foremost.

That being said, I have never heard a Lama or monk say they 'hate' the Dalai Lama. I have never even heard the slight trace of anger in their voice when talking about the Dalai Lama....but I have heard some say that his actions are wrong.

No doubt that there are a group of monks who went out to the streets to protest. I think the protest is not that they hate HHDL, it is more of them protesting the actions of HHDL. They are suffering because they could not practice the instructions from their guru, their family break up as a result of this and they have to separate from their fellow monks. Also a lot of the monks in the monasteries in India just so not understand why HHDL is taking such drastic actions when DS has helped him so much. Some also think that the truth will be revealed soon and there must be a reason why HHDL is doing this.

hope rainbow

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 07:09:02 AM »
I am not qualified, but many of the Lamas that I have faith in have said directly that the actions of the Dalai Lama are wrong. Many Lamas also have protested. I have many pictures of the protests here in India that occured before the protests in the West.

And I praise the selflessness of the Dalai Lama to take this upon himself.
My words are written with wet eyes.

And I praise the selflessness of the brave monks who took all of the abuse upon themselves in order to send the Dalai Lama a message that his actions were harming people.

That being said, I have never heard a Lama or monk say they 'hate' the Dalai Lama. I have never even heard the slight trace of anger in their voice when talking about the Dalai Lama....but I have heard some say that his actions are wrong.

Losang Tenpa, thank you for highlighting this.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 05:45:54 AM »

If that is what they mean and do, then yes it is good and they deserve praise. You dont have to say that you hate something outright to actually mean that you hate it, it ca be in the form of implications and actions. But if they show any other action other than the protests that show that they are having contempt against the Dalai Lama, then it is not sincere or honest. But in any case, the outcome of the protests were a positive one where there was more awareness drawn to the Dorje Shugden issue, a hidden side where the Tibetan NGOs around the world do not want anyone to know about and it is swept under the carpet silently.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
Personally I agree that there is no point to hate or even disrespect the Dalai Lama. It is because of the ban that he has imposed on Dorje Shugden that has made Tibetan Buddhism grow, and it even allowed us to know who is Dorje Shugden the protector of our time.

We can see that many Dorje Shugden Lamas still have a lot of respect towards the Dalai Lama. They even follow the Dalai Lama's instructions, saying if they do worship Dorje Shugden, they do not put Dalai Lama's picture in their centres. Through this we can tell the type of respect they have for the Dalai Lama. They have followed almost every instruction that the Dalai Lama has given.

If we noticed, the Dorje Shugden Lamas has never said anything bad about the Dalai Lama. Instead, they teach their students to respect the Dalai Lama. The only thing is that they do not understand the need for the ban. But, they trust what the Dalai Lama is doing and they follow with folded hands.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
Many people I know whoa re Dorje Shugden practitioners, read His Holiness books, watch his videos etc. I have also heard monks who have left Gaden and Sera and joined Serpom and Shar Gaden are having pictures of the Dalai Lama still on their altars. The Dalai Lama has once again shown his skilful means in 'promoting' Dorje Shugden' , without the Ban would Dorje Shugden be so well known now, would the lamas, monks and students of the Gelug have put in so much to debunk the ban, at the same time learning new skills and methods suited for beings of this age.

May His Holiness never leave the beings in samsara.   

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
It's true that if HHDL had not escaped from Tibet, Buddhism of the Tibetan lineages would not have spread as far as it had, so many monasteries and dharma centers would not have been founded outside of Tibet, many people would not have found Buddhism on such a large scale. But it's also true that all these were not possible if Dorje Shugden had not advised, showed and assisted HHDL and his entourage to escape Tibet, and not forgetting role played by Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche, other high lamas, the bodyguards, cooks, doctors etc.
I am grateful to HHDL, Dorje Shugden, Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche and all people who escaped Tibet and to those who chose to reincarnate around the globe.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 08:46:15 AM »
I do Vajrasattva for the Dalai Lama almost every day.  I do not hate him, but he is not why I am practicing Dorje Shugden; I never really noticed the Dalai Lama's opinion on most things, to be honest, as I started off as a Kagyu.
  I have to say, I like protector practices, and the first Buddha I connected with was Amitaba; I read a Tibetan Buddhist book, but it was the book of the dead.  So I am offering this perspective because most people who do the Shugden practice are Gelugpas this life, though Sakyas used to do it as well as one of the Kagyu schools (Drukpa?).
  I used to do the Mahakala practice with the Kagyus and the Vajrakilia practice with the Nyingmas.  I still respect these protectors and say their mantras from time to time, but honestly, I just have a strong connection with Dorje Shugden.
  Maybe he is becoming a general protector?  I don't know.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 11:28:12 PM »
I believe that when people are educated enough about DS and what he really is, they can easily decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong, and why does the ban not make sense in the first place.

I feel that other lineages should know about why DS should not be banned as well, that DS will not harm them because DS is a Buddha, that there is no basis on the myth that DS harms his practitioners or those who will come in contact with DS. Other lineages like the nyigmas especially are very fearful of DS and they need to know there is nothing to be afraid of, unless they have not been sincere in their practice, but even then they have their own protectors and vows as well, so there is no reason at all to be against DS in the first place.

I've never met a Nyingma that was fearful of Dorje Shugden; I have met Nyingmas whose root guru, Penor Rinpoche, told his followers not to uphold the Shugden ban.
  All the Nyingmas I have ever met rely on Padmasambava, so I have noticed them not to be afraid of really anything except being trapped in samsara. 
  Most actual followers of Dorje Shugden also do not harbor hate, but rather learn to act skillfully, which does involve right speech; right speech can be to tell a political leader that what he is doing is wrong.  Even if the person might think that a teacher is a Buddha, if they are manifesting wrong activity, then we say so.
  In Europe, there used to be a lot of people saying that we have to say this prayer or not that prayer----
  how convenient for a political leader to frighten everyone into saying he is Chenrezig--- so if you go against the politcal leader then you go against the Buddha of Compassion?  Could we enter the modern era on this please?

lotus1

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »
It's true that if HHDL had not escaped from Tibet, Buddhism of the Tibetan lineages would not have spread as far as it had, so many monasteries and dharma centers would not have been founded outside of Tibet, many people would not have found Buddhism on such a large scale. But it's also true that all these were not possible if Dorje Shugden had not advised, showed and assisted HHDL and his entourage to escape Tibet, and not forgetting role played by Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche, other high lamas, the bodyguards, cooks, doctors etc.
I am grateful to HHDL, Dorje Shugden, Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche and all people who escaped Tibet and to those who chose to reincarnate around the globe.

If we read this article “UNCOVERED TRUTH: Evidence of how Dorje Shugden was actually behind the Dalai Lama’s escape out of Tibet to India in 1959”, http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/uncovered-truth-evidence-of-how-dorje-shugden-was-actually-behind-the-dalai-lamas-escape-out-of-tibet-to-india-in-1959/ we can see all the evident that Dorje Shugden was actually behind the Dalai Lama’s escape out of Tibet in 1959.
Without Dorje Shugden, there will be no Tibetan Buddhism and we will not able to practice Tibetan Buddhism.
I respect HH Dalai Lama for who he is as the Tibetan Buddhsim leader and do not hate him. Though he is Chenrezig and do not understand why he has the ban, I still more pro on the saying that the ban is for a bigger picture and continue practicing Dorje Shugden that is passed down by my lama. 

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »
I totally believe that there is abigger picture/purpose behind the ban of Dorje Shugden practice and am against people who instigate hating the Dalai Lama for his action. After coming to know about Dorje Shugden from this website and other information I can find online, I'm very drawn towards wanting to start this practice as well. I've always been a big fan of the Dalai Lama because he's just so famous and his presence is so overwhelming to everyone who has come close to catching a glimpse of him. It is actually because of the Dalai Lama that I first become attracted to Tibetan Buddhism and it is also ironically through my interest in Dalai Lama that I got to know about protector Dorje Shugden. So whatever it is I just can't seems to hate one or the other even though on the surface they seemingly clash as Dalai Lama banned Dorje Shugden practice. It's kind of a surreal harmony and dependent co-existence between the two.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2013, 07:53:23 AM »
I totally believe that there is abigger picture/purpose behind the ban of Dorje Shugden practice and am against people who instigate hating the Dalai Lama for his action. After coming to know about Dorje Shugden from this website and other information I can find online, I'm very drawn towards wanting to start this practice as well. I've always been a big fan of the Dalai Lama because he's just so famous and his presence is so overwhelming to everyone who has come close to catching a glimpse of him. It is actually because of the Dalai Lama that I first become attracted to Tibetan Buddhism and it is also ironically through my interest in Dalai Lama that I got to know about protector Dorje Shugden. So whatever it is I just can't seems to hate one or the other even though on the surface they seemingly clash as Dalai Lama banned Dorje Shugden practice. It's kind of a surreal harmony and dependent co-existence between the two.

The Dalai Lama is Chenrizig and definitely he has his reasons to impose the ban on Dorje Shugden. Only us the lay people would not understand it. No doubt that the ban has cause a lot of pain and heart ache for all Tibetans and non-Tibetans, if there is a bigger picture, definitely the benefits would be far greater than the sorrows that we are facing now.

As we can see and hear of late, the Dalai Lama is softening his stance on the ban. It may be a sign that the ban is starting to be lifted. Let's hope so.

I am sure that it hurts the Dalai Lama a lot when he banned the Dorje Shugden practice. But with the bigger picture in mind, he has to do it. For me, Dorje Shugden is widely practiced in China and is growing fast. For this reason only, I think the ban works for the spread of Dorje Shugden practice.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »
As a practitioner one does not hate the Dalai Lama. Someone need to do this and it happens to be HHDL. I am sure he is using his skillful means to spread the teachings and practice of Dorje Shugden. Humans normally will do what is prohibited. They take it as a challenge. Therefore there are so many practitioners around the world practicing Dorje Shugden. And in Buddhism we are taught to be compassion to every sentient beings and not hatred.

lotus1

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
I totally believe that there is abigger picture/purpose behind the ban of Dorje Shugden practice and am against people who instigate hating the Dalai Lama for his action. After coming to know about Dorje Shugden from this website and other information I can find online, I'm very drawn towards wanting to start this practice as well. I've always been a big fan of the Dalai Lama because he's just so famous and his presence is so overwhelming to everyone who has come close to catching a glimpse of him. It is actually because of the Dalai Lama that I first become attracted to Tibetan Buddhism and it is also ironically through my interest in Dalai Lama that I got to know about protector Dorje Shugden.

Dear gbds3jewels, I fully support you to start Dorje Shugden practice as soon as possible. I also started with Dorje Shugden practice when my friend told me about Dorje Shugden is a demon and I come to know more details about Dorje Shugden from this website. To me, if all the previous Dalai Lamas and high lama such as Pabongka Rinpoche, Trijang Rinpoche, Gangchen Rinpoche were practicing this protector and they would NOT BE WRONG! All lineage Gurus of Gelug will not be wrong!

Through starting the practices, I am advancing further in my spiritual journey. I met with my Guru and I learn more on Lama Tsongkapa practice too. I do hope I would get to learn, practice and realize the supreme teaching on Lama Tsongkapa on emptiness and get to enlightenment since Dorje Shugden is the supreme “Uncommon Protector” who sworn to protect Lama Tsongkapa’s teachings, ultimately the teaching of emptiness by Manjushri.

I pray that you will advance further in your spiritual journey too from practicing Dorje Shugden practice!  8)

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »
Hate is a word in my opinion not associated with Buddhism. I may have very little knowledge of Buddhism compared to most on this forum but both DorjeShugden and the DalaiLama are emanation of Buddhas. So in that aspect they cannot contradict and one cannot be more powerful and one more superior to the other. How can one Buddha criticize another Buddha. I think if we truly believe in Buddha we should also accept the fact that contradiction does not exist.

The core fundamental practice of Buddhism to my understanding is about motivation behind ones own action. If I practice DS and asked/forced to stop, it is still a conscious choice I have to make and I should examine for myself which course of action to take. If I continue and suffer because of it I should rejoice in my suffering as I keep my vows and commitment to my practice. If I choose to abundant the practice also because to keep my vows and commitment to the Dalai Lama, then I should do so. One should not persecute the other or judge the other. One thing I know for certain is we normal human beings have no wisdom and real penetrative insight to truly discern between truth and delusion within samsara. But we can be true to ourselves and make the right decisions base on the awareness we have at a particular time. Buddhism is not about changing the world but changing ourselves. So why judge and criticize what the Dalai Lama is doing? Let's just present the facts and people can determine for themselves whether they want to practice Dorje Shugden.

As many have also commented, the ban has only seems to increase the popularly of this practice and not the other way. So perhaps all the hardship and suffering having to be endured by the monks who continued to be firm in their DS practice throughout the ban period is to absorb the negative karma so that the practice would spread.

Gabby Potter

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2015, 07:42:24 AM »
I totally agree with what Ensapa has stated here, if it wasn't for His Holiness the Dalai Lama, the Dorje Shugden issue wouldn't have gained so much exposure. And what's more is that it's actually these media platforms that are making Dorje Shugden famous, not famous to fulfill secular needs but to grab more attention from people all over the world. I have been practising Dorje Shugden for years now, I have not received anything negative but only benefits from the King. There's no way I will believe the fact that Lord Dorje Shugden is an evil spirit because I only believe in what I have seen and experienced with my own eyes. Believe it or not, His Holiness is doing us, the practitioners a favour skillfully (sorry for lack of better words). I have faith in the Buddha Dharma and His Holiness the Dalai Lama, I believe that what He is doing now serves a better and greater purpose.