Author Topic: Why not to hate the Dalai Lama for us  (Read 31029 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Why not to hate the Dalai Lama for us
« on: January 11, 2012, 03:42:58 AM »
I just realized that if it was not for the Dalai Lama there is no way we would ever gain exposure to Tibetan Buddhism, and there will be no way that we would even have heard of Dorje Shugden or made any connection with him. So why are we hating Dalai Lama for the ban? I know it is painful to see the effects but without him Dorje Shugden's practice cannot spread as well. It is also because of the ban that many curious people investigated Dorje Shugden and many of them took up his practice. I know because I am one.

vegeing

Re: Why not to hate the Dalai Lama for us
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 04:30:52 AM »
I practice Dorje Shugden. At the begining i feel sad why HHDL Ban our protector. And I read all the infomation from the website. I also notice a lot of the Monk ( who practice Dorje Shugden ) , they are not hate HHDL, they just dont understand why he Ban !

In their heart still have a deep respect to HHDL .

Yes may be we dont understand . But we can see , and learn from the monk ! We practice Buddhism, we dont practice hates ! Always put all the problem as our guru !

When we go thru it always we can understand !!

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:13:04 AM »
I just realized that if it was not for the Dalai Lama there is no way we would ever gain exposure to Tibetan Buddhism, and there will be no way that we would even have heard of Dorje Shugden or made any connection with him. So why are we hating Dalai Lama for the ban? I know it is painful to see the effects but without him Dorje Shugden's practice cannot spread as well. It is also because of the ban that many curious people investigated Dorje Shugden and many of them took up his practice. I know because I am one.

What you say is true but people are not exposed to that. All they see is a spiritual and temporal leader being extremely unfair to his own people. They see people being ostracized, they see monks being beaten and the horrendous strife that occur as a result of the ban. If you hear the cries and tears of the old helpless monks who have no place in their own society, it is really hard not to feel angry.

I like this forum and website because it allows us to examine the ban and its result impartially and presents a view in which hate is not an option but understanding and doing something as a result of this understanding. I just love that. I also believe many of people within the Tibetan community suffering from the ban is reading and watching every news. They find solace and peace with the views presented here.

Anyway, it is in line with the true spirit of Buddhism to love and not hate.

Positive Change

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:26:57 AM »

What you say is true but people are not exposed to that. All they see is a spiritual and temporal leader being extremely unfair to his own people. They see people being ostracized, they see monks being beaten and the horrendous strife that occur as a result of the ban. If you hear the cries and tears of the old helpless monks who have no place in their own society, it is really hard not to feel angry.

I like this forum and website because it allows us to examine the ban and its result impartially and presents a view in which hate is not an option but understanding and doing something as a result of this understanding. I just love that. I also believe many of people within the Tibetan community suffering from the ban is reading and watching every news. They find solace and peace with the views presented here.

Anyway, it is in line with the true spirit of Buddhism to love and not hate.

To add, it also gives, like you say, an outlet for much needed information to "counter" the negative and often baseless and sometimes downright ridiculous comments or accusations against Dorje Shugden. This website is an incredible tool, an epitome of the wheel of Dharma where it is a source of information, education and insight which is non biased and based on the truth backed up with facts. Kudos to the website for giving us such hope and from the activity and benefits it has evidently provided, I know this is the right path or way!

Galen

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:03 AM »
The Dalai Lama is the ultimate poster boy for Tibetan Buddhism to the world and on top of that he is a Nobel Peace Prize winner. He has made Buddhism famous and spread the Dharma worldwide. Weherever he goes, there is a huge following. We should be thankful for what he has done and still doing.

With the ban that the Dalai Lama has imposed, he has invoked the curiosity of others to find out more about Dorje Shugden and its practices. No doubt there were a  lot of pain involved for the practitioners and the monks where they have to choose and swear in on lineage practices passed down to them. In fact, the ban has made the practitioners stronger and more determined to spread Dorje Shugden far and wide.

Sooner or later we will understand why he is doing what he is doing. We should be patient and continue to practice compassion for all. After all, the Dalai Lama is Chenrezig and he can't be wrong.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »
We must never have anger towards Avalokiteshvara, the Dalai Lama he was the main person who made Buddhism famous in the world. Who else can command so much attention and a following?

Another reason is if we hate the Dalai Lama we are shutting our door towards enlightenment! How can Buddha be enlightened if he even dislike one person in the universe? It is very cliche' but what does not kill you will make you stronger. I do have faith one day the Dorje Shugden practitioner and the non practitioner wil one day join hands again

pgdharma

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »
As a Dorje Shugden practitioner, I do not hate HHDL but have deep respect and admiration for him. Without HHDL banning and creating such a huge controversy of Dorje Shugden, I would not have the privilege to know who is Dorje Shugden. It is from the website that I learn and know the truth. I feel that the reason why some hated HHDL is because they do not understand or was misinformed of the real issue.

HHDL is revered around the world for his compassion and forgiveness. He even forgave the Chinese who have killed  many Tibetans and destroyed so many Tibetan temples, so how can we hate him?

triesa

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »
I practice Dorje Shugden. At the begining i feel sad why HHDL Ban our protector. And I read all the infomation from the website. I also notice a lot of the Monk ( who practice Dorje Shugden ) , they are not hate HHDL, they just dont understand why he Ban !

In their heart still have a deep respect to HHDL .

Yes may be we dont understand . But we can see , and learn from the monk ! We practice Buddhism, we dont practice hates ! Always put all the problem as our guru !

When we go thru it always we can understand !!

You are right vegeing, the DS monks do not hate the Dalai Lama, they just dont understand why the ban has to be in place. I was told by one of my friends that there are even Dalai Lama pictures on the altars of the monks in Shar Gaden, that shows that these monks still respect the Dalai Lama and they have no hatred or whatsoever towards the DL.

I pray and dedicate all the merits that the ban would be lifted very soon so that these sincere monks would be able to practice freely and without discrimination and much suffering. After all, the DS monks only want to practise what their gurus have passed on to them, they are not into any politics.

kris

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »
Yes, indeed it is very sad to hear the sufferings of the monks because of the ban.

As such, please remind ourselves that, we are practicing Dorje Shugden at the expense of the monk's suffering, and if the sufferings is inevitable at this stage, we should do our best to spread the teachings so that their sufferings do not go in vain.

At the same time, we need to tirelessly do what is necessary to lift the ban soon!!

Lawrence L

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
We as a Buddhist, if we are a real Buddhist, we understand karma. We understand cause and effect.
We know how to practice compassion. We practice skillful means.

In this case, if we hate the Dalai Lama, we create more negative karma that leads to more conflicts and suffering. If we accpet it with an open heart and using a skillful-means-way to deal with it, we don't create bad karma. We create a cause to make peace and show to the world that Dorje Shugden or the practitioner of Dorje Shugden is not evil but good and compassion!

If we hold on the hatred, we will never create peace. With hatred(no peace in our mind), how could we create the cause to lift the ban? (lifting the ban is a peace action)

Dolce Vita

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 07:05:28 PM »
I have always like HHDL, it was because of him, I found Tibetan Buddhism, I found my Guru. People relate him to Buddhism, he alone has planted so many Dharma seeds all around the world. I am also aware of the DS controversy, but it did not make me hate him. I still think he is a very compassionate person. The I found this website, so much information is made available to me and it reaffirms to me that HHDL is extremely compassionate.

He is willing to sacrifice his personal reputation to spread Dharma in China, to billions of people. What he has achieved is far more than the 'harm' he created.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 01:15:36 AM »
I have always like HHDL, it was because of him, I found Tibetan Buddhism, I found my Guru. People relate him to Buddhism, he alone has planted so many Dharma seeds all around the world. I am also aware of the DS controversy, but it did not make me hate him. I still think he is a very compassionate person. The I found this website, so much information is made available to me and it reaffirms to me that HHDL is extremely compassionate.

He is willing to sacrifice his personal reputation to spread Dharma in China, to billions of people. What he has achieved is far more than the 'harm' he created.

It is not just his reputation but the negative karma incurred from having monks mistreated because of the ban is all absorbed by the Dalai Lama. And if what HHDL did was done with malicious intent, the amount of negative karma from that would show by now. So many statues were destroyed in his name and so many holy and senior monks were kicked out from the monasteries in his name as well. If nothing is coming to him it does mean something dosent it?

When Dorje Shugden took trance he did ask everyone to serve the Dalai Lama. Do we go against our Dharma protector because we got too emotional? I dont think we should. I choose to follow my protectors advice to still love, respect and serve the Dalai Lama while doing the protector's practice.

hope rainbow

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »
I was told that in Shar Gaden there are many pictures of His Holiness throughout the monastery.
Most won't be able to explain why the Dalai Lama implemented the ban, but one thing is for sure, nobody holds on to the grudge and all have deep respect for His Holiness, he is Chenrezig after all! And he must have a pretty good reason for the ban!

I do find it extremely relevant that we find picture of His Holiness in Shar Gaden.
In fact, it makes me cry of joy.

Lineageholder

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 03:34:32 PM »

Dear Ensapa,

I think that what you say may be true for some, but not everyone.  The Dalai Lama is not the head of any tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. I met Buddhism through my kind root Guru Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and have never even read a book by the Dalai Lama, so he's not important from my point of view.  In fact, the only connection in which I heard about the Dalai Lama was first in 1996, a couple of years after I met Dharma when my then Teacher told me about the ban on Dorje Shugden!  I was incredulous that someone could go against their Guru and their lineage.  It's still really hard to believe it's happening.

Everything I learned about Dorje Shugden came from my Guru and his teachings.

I don't hate the Dalai Lama, he's simply wrong and misguided.  I feel sorry for him that he has created the karma of causing a schism in the Sangha.  But then, conversely we must be very careful not to go to the other extreme of simply believing whatever he says because of his title and reputation.

Zach

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
I was told that in Shar Gaden there are many pictures of His Holiness throughout the monastery.
Most won't be able to explain why the Dalai Lama implemented the ban, but one thing is for sure, nobody holds on to the grudge and all have deep respect for His Holiness, he is Chenrezig after all! And he must have a pretty good reason for the ban!

I do find it extremely relevant that we find picture of His Holiness in Shar Gaden.
In fact, it makes me cry of joy.

Ive not seen one photo of him so far in Shar Gaden only the picture of the previous Panchen Lama not the Dalai lama.