Author Topic: Insinuation vs Accusations  (Read 23575 times)

Positive Change

Insinuation vs Accusations
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »
Is there a difference between the two? Either way, which is worse?

An age old debate but relevant in this day an age of samsaric pursuance and distractions. For me, I have come to this conclusion:

Insinuation: It is an almost indirect hinting that in hearing it may seem weak. But it is a powerful tool and abuse of it is a common way of introducing bias. It tries to swing another's opinion to his or her own favour through a calculated and often "by the way" statement.

Accusations: Often emotionally driven and hence more instinctual rather than calculated. Often very cut and dry and straight to the point. No beating around the bush.

Galen

• Email
Re: Insinuation vs Accusations
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:18:56 PM »
To me, Insinuation is a way of manipulation. The person may not want to be direct because of fear of hurting the other person or fear of losing face or some form of fear. Therefore, they manipulate the situation or the way they say it to sound nicer. But the intent is still the same. And also the person who insinuate may not have all the info in their hands to make an accusation.

Accusation is a direct way of telling the person he/she has done something wrong.

To me both are bad and should not be done. Must find out more before any decisions/conclusions can be made.

Manjushri

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »
To me, I think both are just as bad. But the results of our actions, or more accurately put, the karma that comes back to us depends on our intent. Both methods of insinuating and accusing can bring harm to others, depending on our motive, intent, actions and feeling whilst carrying it out and after.

Insinuating, I feel is more like purposely stirring up and creating problems/rumours to throw others out of balance or to start a new rumour. Basically, its to play with other's minds regardless of whether evidence is at hand or not.

Accusing is to blame others without any evidence at hand.

Dictionary.com's definitions:

Insinuate:
1. to suggest or hint slyly
2. to instill or infuse subtly or artfully, as into the mind
3. to bring or introduce into a position or relation by indirect or artful methods

Accuse:
1. to charge with the fault, offense, or crime
2. to find fault with; blame.

Both are equally bad, but I feel insinuating is worst as it is playing with other's minds.

negra orquida

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
I think insinuating is a very subtle way of accusing.  It would be harder for the listener to directly see what the insinuator is really trying to say as there are many layers to unfold. Sometimes even the insinuator cannot see what their true motive is unless pointed out by someone.  And because of this, it may be harder to correct the person who is insinuating something as they do not know they are being covertly "evil".

Both are damaging to the speaker and others.. I'm not sure which is more damaging as I think accusation would involve some level of anger, while insinuation perhaps is more of sneakiness and ill intent.

daka

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
To me, insinuation is more dangerous as it is not so obvious, it can kill someone without leaving a trace. The listener will not have noticed the real intention of the speaker and passes on the message without even realising it is harmful. Just like a HIV carrier who can spread the fatal disease without knowing about it himself/herself if he/she didn't know that the person who he/she used to have sexual contact with is a HIV carrier.

If a person insinuates out of bad intention, I guess the karma is worse than accusation as this person is trying to manipulate people's mind and to "Kill with a borrowed knife".

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 12:24:53 AM »
I think insinuation is a manipulative way of finding fault in others without taking the personal responsibility of the statement. Hence, people who insinuate always try to avoid owning up to the statement by saying they didn't mean it the way it has been interpreted. It is always used to start rumors and to ruin the reputation of someone or an institution for whatever reason. It is the bread and butter of schismatic talk. They are often very confused about matters or rather, that's what they portray. Confusion is just a result of insinuations, bad rumors and broken relationships. People with such habits are bad news! If you are such a person, I suggest you do something to cut that nasty habit before the karma comes back to you.

On the other hand, accusations are plain straight-forward way of finding fault. I actually don't find this bad as the person making this statement is owning up to this statement and has sufficient confidence in saying it. If he/she is wrong, someone will eventually correct her/him. No one is perfect and omniscient but people will at least know his/her motive. People who are so straight forward are usually always easier to deal with then the above. That's my experience with both types.

Klein

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:37:31 PM »
Insinuation is a form of accusation that is indirect and leaves a back door for the person to deny.  Accusation is a direct, certain and firm statement with no back door to deny. Both can be manipulative depending on the situation.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:57:36 AM »
Insinuations are used to manipulate others. Highly skilled people can use it in a way to sway people to or to get things done, or make people think in the way they want them to think, sort of like mind control. People who have mastered this skill can do it without others realizing what is going on, and I have met people who are capable of doing this. This is negative as it is based on deceit as if something was true this would not need to be done in the first place.

Accusations are statements pushed to be true when they are clearly false, and are usually meant to corner or incite someone. This is done to disturb the minds of other or to create disharmony and promote misinformation. And clearly,  this is not right at all.

pgdharma

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 03:10:49 PM »
Whether it is insinuation or accusation, I feel both are bad as the end results cause harm and bad intentions.

Insinuation is an indirect way to manipulate and harm others using skilful, ill intent speech, while accusation is a more direct way of finding faults and blaming others. However, it gives the accused a chance to defend himself. Out of the two, I feel insinuation is worse than accusation as it has a more sneaky and sly way of approach.

diamond girl

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »
Insinuate or Accuse ... both are negative as it creates disharmony and schism. Both also affects people's minds negatively. They are both bad speech thus breaks basic refuge vows. People who insinuate and accuse do not have good intent at all no matter what circumstances.