Author Topic: Buddha in bar - skillful means or desecration?  (Read 18757 times)

valeriecheung

Re: Buddha in bar - skillful means or desecration?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
Myself think this is a skillfull means put a buddha statue in hotel,bar,restaurant and etc. In this degenerate age, to attract people in enjoy having a nice meal with drink is much easier than talk non stop to ask them join dharma classes. At least plant inprint in patron mindstream and been blessed. Open mind and skillfully spread dharma is the key to success.

pgdharma

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
Having a Buddha image in a bar is a good idea as it creates an imprint for those who patronize the bar. How many of those party goers or diners will go to a temple or have any karmic connection with a Buddha? Buddha is an enlightened being and he will not be upset where he is placed. It is our own perceptions of where a Buddha image should be. 

In this case, the restaurant owner has tasteful placed a Buddha image as the main focal point amongst nice décor. Just imagine how wonderful it is that all patrons irrespective of race, faith or religion will be blessed upon entering the restaurant.

vajraD

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
I find that placing Buddha statue in places like bar, discos, restaurant, shops and etc as a décor is fine. The statue that is decorated in these places blessed a lot of people because this is where most people will hang out. It is said that even to see the Buddha images plants imprint in each mind in regardless of faith and religion. Moreover using Buddha images for décor calms the surroundings.  There is a restaurant I like in Las Vegas where they have a 20 foot tall Buddha. It is so cool.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »
To me the more Buddha statues there are everywhere, the better. The more people cast eyes on a Buddha image, the better.

When the owner/designer of Buddha Bar gave the statue prominence amidst a beautiful surrounding, they do not desecrating the Buddha. Anything that can draw attention to the Buddha and anything that can trigger people to think (whether consciously or subconsciously) of how beautiful a Buddha image is, is a good thing.

We may think that there are things that we can do than could desecrate a Buddha but the reality is that there is nothing we can do that can rob a Buddha image of its sacredness. Mara and his horde launched spears and arrows at the Buddha and by the time they got to the Buddha, they transformed into flowers.

Having said that, acts done to desecrate the Buddha, whilst they cannot, are in fact harmful to the doer.

Santideva had this advice on how to respond attacks and disparaging acts towards Buddhism. ‘Hatred towards those who speak insulting about or damage sacred images or stupas is inappropriate. The Buddha did not get angry at such things.’ Enough said.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:52:18 PM by vajratruth »

Midakpa

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 01:07:57 AM »
Personally, I don't think there is a need to react negatively to this issue. In the first place there is no desecration as the statue is used as a centrepiece and is placed in a tastefully decorated area which attracts a lot of attention.  I don't think it is improper because the bar was first created in France where the people like to drink wine with their food. It's part of their culture and we should respect that.

The good thing is, as many have already pointed out, the Buddha image will bless the diners and sow imprints. Indirectly, the owner is helping to plant imprints by placing a Buddha in his bar. Many Westerners are attracted to Buddha statues and use them as decoration, to create an ambiance.

Big Uncle

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 04:54:27 AM »
This is indeed thought-provoking. I think it is skillful means and like Mana noticed, Tibetan Buddhists area not offended because meat and alcohol have been a symbolic use in Tantric ritual to obliterate our labels of what is holy or not holy and what is clean and unclean.

Buddha statue is in itself a powerful blessing and I think it is a powerful way to bring spirituality in a small way to patrons of such places that would not normally be incline towards spirituality of any kind. I think it is very skillful indeed. Just remember, many of the patrons of these bars will never see or come near a Buddha statue except in this place.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 05:24:50 AM »
I have seen Shakymuni Buddha statutes in many different forms depending if the origin is from India, Sri Lanka, China, Thailand and so forth.  Therefore the question is, is Buddha but a statute? To me no, in whatever form the Buddha is, it is the Dharma that He has taught that is of paramount importance to any practising Buddhist.

The Buddha statute is a way of presenting the Enlightened Being to us the samsaric and unattained mind so that imprints are put in us to pursue the Dharma now or in future lives.

Buddha represents compassion and being placed in a prominent and respectful place as per the picture albeit in a Bar is really good. The complainants should conduct a survey with this international chain on how many people on setting their eyes on the Buddha image had been awarded with peace and solace from their misery even for the shortest period of time while they were there. 

This chain of Buddha Bar has spread across the world, in my opinion it may have helped to spread Buddhism.