Author Topic: Why did the Dalai Lama ban Dorje Shugden?  (Read 10277 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Why did the Dalai Lama ban Dorje Shugden?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 03:57:59 AM »

In a way, the "new" justification against Dorje Shugden, that the 10th Panchen Lama wrote a notice in Beijing, asking people not to practice Dorje Shugden is pretty much, mysterious. nobody knows where this notice is, there are no pictures of it, or it is not put up anywhere at all. If it is real, it should have been floating around the internet as these are important historical documents for the CTA. The lack of evidence itself proves that it is something dubious or fabricated. Very typical material from the CTA...probably a fabrication that they presented to the Dalai Lama for his speech to support the ban but it was poorly researched.

Apparently the 10th Panchen Lama, Lobsang Trinley Lhündrub, had propitiated this spirit, but shortly before he passed away in 1989, he found a charter written by the 8th Panchen, Tenpai Wangchuk, forbidding the monks of Tashi Lhunpo from doing this practice. He then published a similar notice from Beijing prohibiting its practice. The 13th Dalai Lama also discouraged the practice. I took up the practice, but once I discovered the faults of doing so I stopped. Of my two tutors, Ling Rinpoche had nothing to do with Dolgyal, but Trijang Rinpoche followed the practice. When I stopped, it was with the full knowledge of both my tutors.

But this notice from the 10th Panchen Lama is nowhere to be found. It is not published online. If it was real, then it should be published, right?  Why is it not made known?

By the way, this is what happened to the 8th Panchen Lama as a result of giving up Dorje Shugden. The name of the 8th Dalai Lama seems to be different from that listed in Wikipedia, but in the yellow book, this name is given as the predecessor of the 9th Panchen Lama.

All knowing Losang Palden Choekyi Dakpa was the lord of the Doctrine
and from a very young age proved himself as an eminent scholar. He thus
had great potential to serve the Dharma and sentient beings. But he did not
make the flawless and well established teachings of the Dharma Raja Lama
Tsongkhapa as his principal practice. But instead he studied many treasure
texts of Nyingma order and did meditation on those teachings. These were
mentioned in his autobiography. Dorjee Shugden repeatedly asked him not
to do that. He got annoyed with the deity and performed a wrathful and
despicable ritual to burn it. Along with other ingredients he put a thanka of
deity in the fire. But the fire could not consume the thanka. Then he took
out the thanka and put it under the steps of his door in Tashi Lhunpo.
Because of those actions, the Panchen Rinpoche became ill and eventually
passed away in the water-sheep year of the 15th rapjung when he was
only thirty years of age. In this way the Panchen Rinpoche was
unsuccessful in his Dharma propagation deeds.

So, if this is the result of giving up Dorje Shugden, and this is the result of following such a charter, is it beneficial or not? Why would HHDL want to endorse a charter made by someone who was unsuccessful in their spiritual practice, unless he is waiting, hoping and praying for someone to actually investigate and challenge his findings?

I was thinking about this point when the 8th Panchen Lama was mentioned.

Gabby Potter

Re: Why did the Dalai Lama ban Dorje Shugden?
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 11:00:58 PM »
Most of the stories or rather statements are just our assumptions, there's no way we'd understand what is the real purpose behind the ban unless you're too enlightened. His Holiness the Dalai Lama is an enlightened Lama and there's always reason behind everything His Holiness does, He can't just explain it to everyone. I strongly believe that the ban is actually serving a higher purpose, we just can't see it, yet.