Author Topic: Translators  (Read 15842 times)

lodoe

• Email
Translators
« on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »
Dear Admin and dharma friends,

It is wonderful to read the translation of Music Delighting the Ocean of Protectors. Even I am poor at english but i found many mistakes and misunderstood the some points. And many friends also agreeing with me. I humbly suggest the admin or friends to form new translation committee on preserving the  great masters works. There is some points which is as follows:
1. Translator must be scholar in Tibetan Literatures and good understanding of Dharma fields.
2. And must master in english literatures or equivalent to that.
3. Sincere in Translating the texts without assuming or adding owns view.
4. Must coordinate well with other scholars and doing extensive research in fields.
5. Members should donate or gives resources to the committee without any delay.
6. And must careful guard the the genera principles of dharma and decide what to translate and translation should be present to public etc. guarding certain vows and samaya.

I was guessing many friends are wishing to have a book from certain persons and scholars. I think it is time to coordinate all scholars on one desk.
Regarding Trijang Dorje Chang Biographies, Translation was done by great scholars and will be soon in Dharma stores around the world.  There is no need to ask others. I guarantee that. Believe me.

with regards and tashi Delek

Lodoe

Admin

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Translators
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
Dear Lodoe,

This Trijang Dorje Chang Biographies translation that you mentioned, will it be complete including the many parts on Dorje Shugden, or will it be edited out? Also the part on Dorje Shugden instructing the Dalai Lama to leave Tibet back in 1959, will that part be included also?

Thanks.

admin
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:59:44 PM by Admin »

mountains

• MAY THE DALAI LAMA LIFT THE BAN AGAINST SHUGDEN
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »

Dear Lodoe,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR SHARING WITH US THE NEWS REGARDING HH TRIJANG RINPOCHE'S BIOGRAPHY COMING OUT SOON. FINALLY!!!!!! :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D

SO MANY PEOPLE INCLUDING MYSELF HAVE BEEN WAITING A VERY LONG TIME FOR THIS. WHEN WILL IT BE OUT IN THE BOOKSTORES?? WHEN PLEASE? ??? ??? ???

WILL THE TRANSLATION BE OUT IN IT'S ENTIRETY WITH ALL THE EVENTS IN TRIJANG RINPOCHE'S LIFE INCLUDING DORJE SHUGDEN?? OR WILL BE EDITED OUT?? I HOPE IT WILL NOT BE EDITED OUT. DO YOU KNOW PLEASE?? ??? ;) :D

lodoe

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:35:15 PM »
Dear friends,

Yes, the translation was complete biography of trijang dorje chang composed by himself. And it contains events back from old tibet and dorje shugden events. I couldn't  say much for now but will come soon.

thanks

mountains

• MAY THE DALAI LAMA LIFT THE BAN AGAINST SHUGDEN
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »

Dear Lodoe,

Sorry to disturb you on this again, but will the translation of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche's biography be in the english language?

Thank you for your information.

lodoe

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 06:58:45 AM »
Dear Mountains,

Of course translation is in english and also will translate in other European and asian languages later.
Thanks for your understanding.

Jane

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »
Mmmmm.... excuse me! I do not take lightly that someone erases a translator´s job on the bases you mention, which sound a bit dogmatic to me, I do not think is fair nor valid. Let´s see, you said:

1. Translator must be scholar in Tibetan Literatures and good understanding of Dharma fields.

R= It seems to me that he or she has this quality, for the few pages that I have read.

2. And must master in english literatures or equivalent to that.

R=This is definitely clear in his renderings, it is beautifully written.

3. Sincere in Translating the texts without assuming or adding owns view.

R=It seems sincere and I have not noticed any assumptions.

4. Must coordinate well with other scholars and doing extensive research in fields.

R=It is obvious he has done so in order to have such a command of both languages.

5. Members should donate or gives resources to the committee without any delay.

R=Well, it is not necessarily so, sounds a bit dogmatic to me, but if you like it we agree and I will give the first donation.

6. And must careful guard the the genera principles of dharma and decide what to translate and translation should be present to public etc. guarding certain vows and samaya.

R=Well, he has done that perfectly.

On the other hand, very often the faults are not in the Dharma books but in people´s mind who lack the skill and knowledge to understand them. Perhaps, those "unclear points" that cause you misunderstandings are clear but you failed to understand them, specially, as you said, and it is obvious anyway, due your English language level. If you would take a statement and proof something, I would find that much more valid than erasing someone´s effort and good intentions based on an old enumeration of translating rules.

And I take the chance to thank whoever translated the book. I will enjoy it reading it and contemplating its meanings.

Thanks

lodoe

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »
Dear jane,
Thanks lot for your suggestion and answers. I would like to point that few points:
1r2. I know the translator but not personally. He has good knowledge about t & d. But still need to progress. And above of all you need to learn.
2r2. I agree that.
3r3. some are there.
4r4. not completely.
5r5. you been conservative, this kind of translation is something very important and must be authentic. Not the novels which you used to read.
6r6.  nope at all.

Then please ask the admin who publish that on this site , i am sure they have new correction version from translator. Any way i didn't meant to offense nobody, just with wholesome intention and sake of pure practitioners.

three pots

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »
Jane,

Please, before you jump to conclusions or judge the qualifications of someone on this forum, it seems you may have missed the main point of Lodoe's request for translators. 

While Lodoe mentioned that the current translation had some errors, the qualifications for a translator were in reference to his request to put together a committee in order to translate future works of our great masters.  I am sure that the individual who did the translation is very well educated and I am equally certain that everyone here feels the same way and has nothing but appreciation for their work.

The translation of these texts can be quite complex and often require the assistance of one's lama or qualified geshes to ensure that the meaning itself is being translated as opposed to just the language.  I have seen the same text translated by three different individuals printed and distributed with three very different meanings!  The translators themselves excelled in both languages, but ultimately it is the Dharma within the language that needs to be translated and thus even a great scholar will appreciate the advice of those who have a firm understanding of the Dharma or the history that is being presented.

Since you do not know who is behind the name of Lodoe, and likely most everyone on this forum, I would caution you and others in making quick assumptions regarding their background and knowledge.  Most are not here to judge others and Lodoe's comments regarding the translation were not intented to criticise the translator but to share with us some information that will only help us to better understand.

Thank you

Jane

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »
Okay, thank you, Lodoe, i enjoyed your comments, and agreed with mos of them.

Perhaps you would like to elucidate more on the point 6, if you have time and think is worthwhile.

I am not sure whih novels you refer to =:))

Thanks

Jane

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 02:11:28 PM »
Three Pots, I was not jumping to conclusions and definitely no judging Lodoe. I said "vey often", "perhaps"...

Here everybody is only what they write; behind the courtains, anyone can be highly realised being or a low being, with high names (which not "always" means much more) or no name, but in this arena, we are only the meaning conveyed with our writings, we are what we express. And I and all may (should) judge the words, the reasoning, the meaning, not the person, isn´t that what Buddha advised? Thanks

Mooch

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 04:09:33 PM »
What does Sungbum mean?

a friend

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 07:18:25 PM »
It means like the zillion expressions of speech of a given Lama. It's loosely translated, I think, as "Collected works". For our lineage the best known is called "Yab se sum", the collected works of Father Je Tsongkapa and his two main sons, Venerables Gyaltsab Je and Khedrup Je.