Author Topic: The Origin of Dharma Protector Practice.  (Read 15478 times)

Dolce Vita

• Email
Re: The Origin of Dharma Protector Practice.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
Does it mean in this degenerate time, our main practice should be the protector practice if one has not received any Yidam practice from one's Guru? If a person does not have a guru yet but is interested in practising, should he/she start with protector practice first?

RedLantern

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
A Dharma protector is an emanation of a Buddha or Bodhisattva whose main function are to avert the inner and outer obstacles that prevent practitioners from gaining spiritual realisations and arrange all the necessary conditions for their practice.
Though there are some worldly dieties who are friendly towards Buddhism and who try to help practitioners,they are not real Dharma protectors.Such worldly dieties are able to increase the external wealth of practitioners and help them to succeed.in their worldly activities,but do not have the wisdom or the power to protect the development of Dharma within a practitioner's mind.
A Dharma protector will remove all obstacles so that we can practice smoothly.

pgdharma

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
Does it mean in this degenerate time, our main practice should be the protector practice if one has not received any Yidam practice from one's Guru? If a person does not have a guru yet but is interested in practising, should he/she start with protector practice first?
We need to generate enough merits to meet a Guru and receive a yidam practice from him. Dharma protector’s practice like Dorje Shugden will help remove obstacles so that we can practice smoothly.

For newbies, they may not understand the meaning of yidam practice, attainments or enlightenment and if introduced to them it will be less effective. They may still be attached to worldly things so dharma protector practice like Dorje Shugdenwill be most appropriate as He can grant them their wishes, help them solve their immediate problems and guide them (as Dorje Shugden is also Manjushri) towards the dharma, and eventually meet a Guru.

triesa

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
Since we are on the page of Dorje Shugden as our dharma protector, I was told that Dorje Shugden can be propitiated as the guru, yidam and protector.

We can see why this is possible, I have only heard this happened to the DS oracle when in trance, Karche Marpo would come and give extensive teachings for hours, which protector can do that through the oracle? And of course, the king would come to clear our obstacles  but he usually stays for a short while only. The fact that  Dorje Shugden is the enmanation of Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen, a lama whose status and popularity even surpassed the fifth Dalai Lama then, makes it easy to comprehend that Dorje Shugden is the uncommon protector of this age and time.

By the way, who doesn't want their spiritual journey to be as smooth as as the palms of one's hand? 

bambi

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 09:09:36 AM »
Oh yes, I have heard of this before. That a protector is 'assigned' to the practitioner before starting them on their practice. I was attracted to Dorje Shugden before I know much about protector practices or Buddhism. I have been told that due to the degenerating times, we have lots of accumulated much negative karma that will distract us from our Dharma path hence a protector is very good in helping us clear our obstacles and bring positive results during our practice. The best part is that all protectors are Enlightened beings who are emanation of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. ;D

ratanasutra

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »
Why now is in degenerate tiem - because most of us are full with delusion mind and we only looking for the short term happiness with can gain from fame, name and material achievement, we are not seeking for ultimate happiness with is enlightenment anymore, even we do but our practice not progress fast like what we know and learn.

Since our minds are full with delusions and we want everything in the quick fix way, therefore dharma protector is the most needed for us now, until our mind stable and gain some understanding then we will receive the teaching of yidam as it require more vows, commitment and discipline etc in order to collect merit or get a result.

Dharma protector is mainly to clear our obstacles in lower and higher scope ie problem with finance, protection, success and obstacles in spiritual path etc when our 'problem' are settled then our mind calm down and faith increase and we want to learn more..   

Positive Change

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »
Oh yes, I have heard of this before. That a protector is 'assigned' to the practitioner before starting them on their practice. I was attracted to Dorje Shugden before I know much about protector practices or Buddhism. I have been told that due to the degenerating times, we have lots of accumulated much negative karma that will distract us from our Dharma path hence a protector is very good in helping us clear our obstacles and bring positive results during our practice. The best part is that all protectors are Enlightened beings who are emanation of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. ;D

Hi Bambi.. I would like to correct you on one thing... not all protectors are Enlightened Beings. Nechung the principal protector divinity of the Tibetan government and the Dalai Lama is NOT an Enlightened Protector. Enlightened Dharma Protectors are manifestations of Buddhas, and Dorje Shugen an emanation of Manjushri is one!

And amongst Protectors, there are Common and Uncommon Protectors. Common Protectors being Protectors that protect the Dharma/Buddhism in general and Uncommon Protectors protect a specific teaching or lineage. Dorje Shugden arose as an Uncommon Protector in order to safeguard and protect Tsongkhapa's teachings but does that mean Dorje Shugden wont help outside his so called realm of protection? Of course not... because Dorje Shugden is an enlightened being.

I found an interesting except from HHDL book "Freedom in Exile", that mentions the unique relation HHDL has with Nechung:

"For hundreds of years now, it has been traditional for the Dalai Lama, and the Government, to consult Nechung during the New Year festivals. In addition, he might well be called upon at other times if either have specific queries. I myself have dealings with him several times a year This may sound far-fetched to twentieth-century western readers. Even some Tibetans, mostly those who consider themselves ’progressive’, have misgivings about my continued use of this ancient method of intelligence gathering.

But I do so for the simple reason that as I look back over the many occasions when I have asked questions of the oracle, on each one of them time has proved that his answer was correct. This is not to say that I rely solely on the oracle’s advice. I do not. I seek his opinion in the same way as I seek the opinion of my Cabinet and just as I seek the opinion of my own conscience. I consider the gods to be my ’upper house’. The Kashag constitutes my lower house. Like any other leader, I consult both before making a decision on affairs of state. And sometimes, in addition to Nechung’s counsel, I also take into consideration certain prophecies.

"In one respect, the responsibility of Nechung and the responsibility of the Dalai Lama towards Tibet are the same, though we act in different ways. My task, that of leadership, is peaceful. His, in his capacity as protector and defender, is wrathful.

However, although our functions are similar, my relationship with Nechung is that of commander to lieutenant: I never bow down to him. It is for Nechung to bow to the Dalai Lama. Yet we are very close, friends almost. When I was small, it was touching. Nechung liked me a lot and always took great care of me. For example, if he noticed that I had dressed carelessly or improperly, he would come over and rearrange my shirt, adjust my robe and so on.

"Nechung has always shown respect for me. Even when his relations with the Government have deteriorated, as they did during the last few years of the Regency, he invariably responds enthusiastically whenever asked anything about me. At the same time, his replies to questions about government policy can be crushing. Sometimes he just responds with a burst of sarcastic laughter. I well remember a particular incident that occurred when I was about fourteen. Nechung was asked a question about China.

Rather than answer it directly, the Kuten turned towards the East and began bending forward violently. It was frightening to watch, knowing that this movement combined with the weight of the massive helmet he wore on his head would be enough to snap his neck. He did it at least fifteen times, leaving no one in any doubt about where the danger lay.

"Dealing with Nechung is by no means easy. It takes time and patience during each encounter before he will open up. He is very reserved and austere, just as you would imagine a grand old man of ancient times to be. Nor does he bother with minor matters: his interest is only in the larger issues, so it pays to frame questions accordingly. He also has definite likes and dislikes, but he does not show them very readily.

Big Uncle

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »

Hi Bambi.. I would like to correct you on one thing... not all protectors are Enlightened Beings. Nechung the principal protector divinity of the Tibetan government and the Dalai Lama is NOT an Enlightened Protector. Enlightened Dharma Protectors are manifestations of Buddhas, and Dorje Shugen an emanation of Manjushri is one!

And amongst Protectors, there are Common and Uncommon Protectors. Common Protectors being Protectors that protect the Dharma/Buddhism in general and Uncommon Protectors protect a specific teaching or lineage. Dorje Shugden arose as an Uncommon Protector in order to safeguard and protect Tsongkhapa's teachings but does that mean Dorje Shugden wont help outside his so called realm of protection? Of course not... because Dorje Shugden is an enlightened being.

I found an interesting except from HHDL book "Freedom in Exile", that mentions the unique relation HHDL has with Nechung:

"For hundreds of years now, it has been traditional for the Dalai Lama, and the Government, to consult Nechung during the New Year festivals. In addition, he might well be called upon at other times if either have specific queries. I myself have dealings with him several times a year This may sound far-fetched to twentieth-century western readers. Even some Tibetans, mostly those who consider themselves ’progressive’, have misgivings about my continued use of this ancient method of intelligence gathering.

But I do so for the simple reason that as I look back over the many occasions when I have asked questions of the oracle, on each one of them time has proved that his answer was correct. This is not to say that I rely solely on the oracle’s advice. I do not. I seek his opinion in the same way as I seek the opinion of my Cabinet and just as I seek the opinion of my own conscience. I consider the gods to be my ’upper house’. The Kashag constitutes my lower house. Like any other leader, I consult both before making a decision on affairs of state. And sometimes, in addition to Nechung’s counsel, I also take into consideration certain prophecies.

"In one respect, the responsibility of Nechung and the responsibility of the Dalai Lama towards Tibet are the same, though we act in different ways. My task, that of leadership, is peaceful. His, in his capacity as protector and defender, is wrathful.

However, although our functions are similar, my relationship with Nechung is that of commander to lieutenant: I never bow down to him. It is for Nechung to bow to the Dalai Lama. Yet we are very close, friends almost. When I was small, it was touching. Nechung liked me a lot and always took great care of me. For example, if he noticed that I had dressed carelessly or improperly, he would come over and rearrange my shirt, adjust my robe and so on.

"Nechung has always shown respect for me. Even when his relations with the Government have deteriorated, as they did during the last few years of the Regency, he invariably responds enthusiastically whenever asked anything about me. At the same time, his replies to questions about government policy can be crushing. Sometimes he just responds with a burst of sarcastic laughter. I well remember a particular incident that occurred when I was about fourteen. Nechung was asked a question about China.

Rather than answer it directly, the Kuten turned towards the East and began bending forward violently. It was frightening to watch, knowing that this movement combined with the weight of the massive helmet he wore on his head would be enough to snap his neck. He did it at least fifteen times, leaving no one in any doubt about where the danger lay.

"Dealing with Nechung is by no means easy. It takes time and patience during each encounter before he will open up. He is very reserved and austere, just as you would imagine a grand old man of ancient times to be. Nor does he bother with minor matters: his interest is only in the larger issues, so it pays to frame questions accordingly. He also has definite likes and dislikes, but he does not show them very readily.

Thank you Positive Change. Nechung belongs to a class of Protectors that are oath-bound by a Lama like in Nechung's case, Guru Rinpoche. They are powerful beings that are bound by their oaths to protect Buddhism. They are in no way, suitable objects for refuge because of the unenlightened state of mind. However, someone like Nechung would have been sufficiently advance for having served his oath to Guru Rinpoche for hundreds of years now.

Hence, you will see that he was instrumental in creating the cause for Dorje Shugden to arise. He is also the Protector that gave Dorje Shugden his name and today, he is the proponent of the Dorje Shugden ban along with the Dalai Lama. According to a prophecy, Nechung is expected to transcend his worldly state of existence and join the ranks of enlightened Protectors. Hence, Dorje Shugden is prophesied to take over from Nechung and be the main Dharma Protector of our times. It is believe that this transfer of power would occur within our lifetime. Perhaps, it will happen when the Dorje Shugden ban gets lifted.