Author Topic: What must it be like for the Lama?  (Read 15697 times)

Damian.D

What must it be like for the Lama?
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »
Spare a thought for the Lama who comes back again and again to teach the same students with the same hangups again and again.

To sit day in day out listening to the same issues. Seeing through the pretenses and disguises of the many people who live in samsara. We are open  books and the lama is reading us constantly. Just waiting for the day we turn a new leaf and write a direction in our lives. One that gives up on the poisons of this existence.

I am grateful that they are here for us. Students come and go, but eventually all roads will lead back to the source and solution.

May the Lamas of the world live long,
May the students grow in Dharma
May our results inspire others

Our Lama's don't live forever, seize the opportunity while you still can.

samayakeeper

• Email
Re: What must it be like for the Lama?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:42 PM »

This is interesting. I get tired of having to advise my younger colleagues of their faults at work but did not think how a Lama would be, having to advise so many of his students. Thinking of it now, the Lama has so much patience, love, kindness, compassion, resiliency, wisdom, never giving up and more. Yet with me, it is usually leaving these younger colleagues to their own device after I thought I had done my best for them. My resolve now is to start with my loved ones. And I will pray to Dorje Shugden for strength and wisdom.

hope rainbow

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »

This is interesting. I get tired of having to advise my younger colleagues of their faults at work but did not think how a Lama would be, having to advise so many of his students. Thinking of it now, the Lama has so much patience, love, kindness, compassion, resiliency, wisdom, never giving up and more. Yet with me, it is usually leaving these younger colleagues to their own device after I thought I had done my best for them. My resolve now is to start with my loved ones. And I will pray to Dorje Shugden for strength and wisdom.

Yet in a secular working environment, very quickly one's limitation is identified and one is kept within these, for sake of efficiency.
In a Dharma environment, when one's limitation is identified he is being pushed beyond to improve, out of an IMMENSE care from the lama.
Much more difficult and demanding job than the job of a "boss" at work.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:42:48 AM »
Spare a thought for the Lama who comes back again and again to teach the same students with the same hangups again and again.

To sit day in day out listening to the same issues. Seeing through the pretenses and disguises of the many people who live in samsara. We are open  books and the lama is reading us constantly. Just waiting for the day we turn a new leaf and write a direction in our lives. One that gives up on the poisons of this existence.

There is no one who cares about us more than our Lama in the right way.  The right way meaning for the benefit of our current and future lives.  It is no doubt that Lamas care for their students out of pure compassion to lead us into the correct path of real self liberation and eventually enlightenment. 

If we think of it carefully there is really nothing in it for the Lama to do that.  He could have easily pack his bag and go off somewhere or pass on and take another rebirth somewhere else that he does not have to deal with all these tiring pretenses and disguises but then, it would have defeated his purpose of taking rebirth in samsara in the first place.  The Lama is here with us because he knows he is able to help us as he has transcended samsara.  He may be in samsara but samsara is not in him.  He would probably think, if he doesn't help us who else would?

So what must it be like for the Lama?  I am sure it is never easy.  He nevertheless endures all difficulties so that he can fulfill his previous lives aspiration to lead us out of our suffering.

Positive Change

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »

I am grateful that they are here for us. Students come and go, but eventually all roads will lead back to the source and solution.

What a good question! This evokes many other pertinent questions which fall like dominos...

Here I am complaining and being self absorbed with MY problems, MY worries, MY laziness, MY needs, MY wants, ME, ME, ME... If we just put on the brakes for one moment, ask ourselves this question and ponder on this! WOW. Blows one's mind doesn't it?

For me, MY problems just literally melt away (sure it comes creeping back after a spell but I try to curb it as much as I can) and i realise how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of things and that I do not want to living this self absorbed life thinking I am doing "so much" but in actual fact I am doing absolutely "zero" if I am lucky... probably negative if one were to check...

I like questions like this because it is brilliant grounding for our egos but having said all that, it only does help if one truly believes in one's Lama and have faith in our protector DS whom will help us overcome our minds if we surre

Positive Change

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:04:32 AM »
DO EXCUSE PREVIOUS POST. THE END GOT CUT OFF!

What a good question! This evokes many other pertinent questions which fall like dominos...

Here I am complaining and being self absorbed with MY problems, MY worries, MY laziness, MY needs, MY wants, ME, ME, ME... If we just put on the brakes for one moment, ask ourselves this question and ponder on this! WOW. Blows one's mind doesn't it?

For me, MY problems just literally melt away (sure it comes creeping back after a spell but I try to curb it as much as I can) and i realise how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of things and that I do not want to living this self absorbed life thinking I am doing "so much" but in actual fact I am doing absolutely "zero" if I am lucky... probably negative if one were to check...

I like questions like this because it is brilliant grounding for our egos but having said all that, it only does help if one truly believes in one's Lama and have faith in our protector DS whom will help us overcome our minds if we surrender to him. How privilege and blessed for those of us to have a Lama to guide us and DS to protect us!

WoselTenzin

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »

I like questions like this because it is brilliant grounding for our egos but having said all that, it only does help if one truly believes in one's Lama and have faith in our protector DS whom will help us overcome our minds if we surrender to him. How privilege and blessed for those of us to have a Lama to guide us and DS to protect us!

I totally agree with you Positive Change.  Whatever "problems" we may have is really nothing when we think of what our Lama has to go through.   If we think of his spiritual responsibilities towards the many hundreds or thousands of his students and other sentient beings, our problem immediately shrink to insignificance.

I think this is one way we can meditate whenever we get into a "poor me" self absorbed mode where we imagine that our miniscule problems are insurmountable.  What's worse is that it is mostly self created and within our control to change if we kick our butt hard enough to get out of our comfort zone, attachments and hang ups.  The question is whether we are prepare to go through the withdrawal symptoms of transforming.  Like any other types of addictions, attachments and laziness takes effort to get out of and any attempt of it will entail pain.   

This suddenly occurred to me when I spoke to a friend yesterday.  Something we can all think about. 

Barzin

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
Yes,  ALL Lamas are here to teach us the dharma and imagine how much problems we created for them over and over again due to our ignorance, ego and attachments?  They returned life after life just teach us more, and we are so stuck with our own views and habituation.  The Lama has to use all different methods to get the teaching to us.. which actually takes up a lot of energy and don't forget even if they are enlightenment, they are in human form...  just like us.   Sometimes in order to teach us something, they have to manifest flaws and lower down to our standard...  They are not superman, if they are they would have taught us how to fly.  So we must not abuse the fact that just because they are highly attained, they must have the compassion of enduring our bad qualities.  In fact, we are only creating a cause of our lama becoming more distant to us.

triesa

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:06:42 AM »
Yes,  ALL Lamas are here to teach us the dharma and imagine how much problems we created for them over and over again due to our ignorance, ego and attachments?  They returned life after life just teach us more, and we are so stuck with our own views and habituation.  The Lama has to use all different methods to get the teaching to us.. which actually takes up a lot of energy and don't forget even if they are enlightenment, they are in human form...  just like us.   Sometimes in order to teach us something, they have to manifest flaws and lower down to our standard...  They are not superman, if they are they would have taught us how to fly.  So we must not abuse the fact that just because they are highly attained, they must have the compassion of enduring our bad qualities.  In fact, we are only creating a cause of our lama becoming more distant to us.

Dear Barzin,

I like and agree with what you said here.

kurava

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 03:13:57 AM »
The closest example I can think of is our mother.

My Lama often reminds me of my mother - no matter how stubborn I was, how hopelessly forgetful, how much I took her for granted - tirelessly she would always be reminding  me the things I was supposed to do, always understanding, always supportive.

For those who are mothers themselves can , perhaps, understand the hope, happiness, disappointment, frustrations, immense patience and love the Lama has for his students without the motherly attachment.

The Lama looks into every aspect of the students' well being- from material to emotional & spiritual which is much more than what mothers do.

The Lama is really our mother from life after life.

Positive Change

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 04:30:51 AM »

My Lama often reminds me of my mother - no matter how stubborn I was, how hopelessly forgetful, how much I took her for granted - tirelessly she would always be reminding  me the things I was supposed to do, always understanding, always supportive.

For those who are mothers themselves can , perhaps, understand the hope, happiness, disappointment, frustrations, immense patience and love the Lama has for his students without the motherly attachment.

The Lama looks into every aspect of the students' well being- from material to emotional & spiritual which is much more than what mothers do.

I agree with you Kurava... what you have written above is very apt. And this is because our mothers also work out of/from compassion... even when "angry" they do it for our good or benefit. Of course there are exceptions to the rule (I cringe to think of it!) but on a whole a mother has that innate instinct to benefit her child.

On top of looking after our material, emotional and spiritual paths, the Lama also looks beyond the mere limitations of our current life as well. Through the Lama's skillful methods he will even steer us on a path that will ensure we do not create more negative karma for our future lives. This is also on top of helping us remove obstacles and purify our existing negative karma...

And all this multiplied by the hundreds if not thousands of

Positive Change

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 04:32:07 AM »

I agree with you Kurava... what you have written above is very apt. And this is because our mothers also work out of/from compassion... even when "angry" they do it for our good or benefit. Of course there are exceptions to the rule (I cringe to think of it!) but on a whole a mother has that innate instinct to benefit her child.

On top of looking after our material, emotional and spiritual paths, the Lama also looks beyond the mere limitations of our current life as well. Through the Lama's skillful methods he will even steer us on a path that will ensure we do not create more negative karma for our future lives. This is also on top of helping us remove obstacles and purify our existing negative karma...

And all this multiplied by the hundreds if not thousands of students the Lama has PLUS ALL other sentient beings... Feeling pretty insignificant now huh! :P ;)

DSFriend

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 08:49:50 AM »

You've brought up a key point about the qualities of the Lamas... the perfection of the six paramitas :
generosity, ethics, patience, enthusiastic perseverance, concentration and wisdom

May we develop these qualities to repay the kindness of our lamas.

hope rainbow

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »
And this is because our mothers also work out of/from compassion... even when "angry" they do it for our good or benefit. Of course there are exceptions to the rule (I cringe to think of it!) but on a whole a mother has that innate instinct to benefit her child.

Dear PA,
I think there is no exceptions when it comes to mothers.
It may be a very demanding journey for someone who had to endure a "mean" mother to discover the infinite compassion she actually displayed while carrying her baby and everything else... But it is a necessary journey.
There is nobody who can be exempted from contemplating on the compassionate nature of his/her mother.
Nobody one can say to: "oh, it's ok, in your case your mother was essentially evil, no hope anyway, maybe mediate on the true compassion of your pet-dog instead".
If we love the whole universe of all sentient beings, ALL, but justify one exception, we have failed to develop compassion to the most important being of them all.
That's what I think.

vajrastorm

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 04:46:32 AM »
Yes, only a compassionate Lama, who is a Buddha, will return again and again to samsara to help and guide us towards total liberation from suffering and complete Buddhahood. There is no one else who cares for us and can care for us with such limitless compassion and using such infinitely skillful means.

To make direct connections with our totally deluded minds, the Lama (of infinite compassion) will choose to incarnate in a form and under conditions and circumstances of great suffering (that we, with our deluded minds, can relate to and understand); and , like a true Bodhisattva, he will take this suffering into his path of practice. Thus, by a path of suffering, does he come to us to help us overcome our suffering and the causes of our suffering.

My Lama sees my weaknesses and flaws more clearly than I (with my mind of delusions) can see them. He then uses his skillful means to help me work on them and overcome them. If my laziness kicks in and my mental afflictions rage and create havoc with me, until I cannot see the wood for the trees, he will still patiently endeavor in different ways to help me get past all my mental obstacles.

When he knows I need a tangible show of kindness (in case I loosen my grip of faith or trust in him), he quickly comes on the scene and displays his infinite kindness in ways that open up my heart and my mind in eternal gratitude and indebtedness to his infinite compassion.

His kindness is without agenda, and he shows equal compassion to all. This means that every one of his students receives the same infinite love and compassion from him. So my Lama embodies what is said in the final verse of Shantideva's Bodhicharyavatara (Dedication Prayer):

"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."

Thus do Holy Beings return as Lamas again and again for the sake of all.