Author Topic: Tibet won't crumble when Dalai Lama dies: China  (Read 4520 times)

Mana

Tibet won't crumble when Dalai Lama dies: China
« on: March 09, 2011, 05:31:26 AM »
source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1115079/1/.html

BEIJING: The eventual death of the Dalai Lama, Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, will have no major impact on the stability of the Chinese-ruled region, state media on Tuesday quoted top officials as saying.

The officials attending China's annual session of parliament hit out at the Dalai Lama, calling him a "wolf in monk's robes" and saying he did not have the right to decide how his successor would be chosen.

"There will be little repercussions (when the Dalai Lama dies) due to religious factors, but we will take that into consideration and will surely guarantee long-term political stability in Tibet," the Global Times quoted Qiangba Puncog, head of the region's parliamentary delegation, as saying.

"I dare not say that Tibet will not see any incidents, big or small, forever, but I dare say that the current situation in Tibet is on the whole stable," the former regional governor said Monday.

"The Tibetan people wish for stability and object to trouble-making."

China has long viewed the 76-year-old Dalai Lama as a "splittist" seeking to separate Tibet from China -- charges that the 1989 Nobel peace prize winner has repeatedly denied.

His thorny relationship with China's Communist rulers has led him to state that he would have no misgivings ending the centuries-old tradition of relying on high-ranking monks to choose his reincarnated successor after he dies.

The current governor of Tibet, Padma Choling, said the Dalai Lama was in no position to make that decision.

"I am afraid it is not up to anyone to abolish the reincarnation institution," the paper quoted him as saying.

"What he says does not count ... we must respect the historical institutions and religious rituals of Tibetan Buddhism."

Traditionally, the search for the Dalai Lama's reincarnated successor was conducted by the region's high lamas.

But China's officially atheist Communist Party-ruled government has claimed the right to intervene, citing a precedent set by a past emperor.

Tibet's top Communist Party official Zhang Qingli further blamed the Dalai Lama for instigating anti-Chinese riots in Tibet three years ago that turned deadly in Lhasa and spread to other Tibetan-populated regions in China.

The London-based pressure group Free Tibet immediately condemned the officials' remarks as "another high point of farce" in China's attempt to vilify the spiritual leader and exert control over Tibet.

"Stamping out loyalty and devotion to the current Dalai Lama and eradicating his influence in Tibetan society, to the extent of banning photographs of him, is central in China's Tibet policy," Free Tibet Director Stephanie Brigden said in a statement.

"Efforts to control his reincarnation have subsequently been put at the centre of China's policies to cement its rule in Tibet."

-AFP/jl

DSFriend

Re: Tibet won't crumble when Dalai Lama dies: China
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:42:47 PM »

BEIJING: The eventual death of the Dalai Lama, Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, will have no major impact on the stability of the Chinese-ruled region, state media on Tuesday quoted top officials as saying.

The officials attending China's annual session of parliament hit out at the Dalai Lama, calling him a "wolf in monk's robes" and saying he did not have the right to decide how his successor would be chosen.

"There will be little repercussions (when the Dalai Lama dies) due to religious factors, but we will take that into consideration and will surely guarantee long-term political stability in Tibet," the Global Times quoted Qiangba Puncog, head of the region's parliamentary delegation, as saying.

Interesting article. I do agree that this will be the case in the near future. Already as it is now, Tibet is no longer in the control of Dalai Lama nor TGIE. What more when Dalai Lama passes on...

"Efforts to control his reincarnation have subsequently been put at the centre of China's policies to cement its rule in Tibet."

-AFP/jl

Can reincarnation be controlled by China? Sounds to me that it means China will recognise their own candidate
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:37:47 PM by DSFriend »

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 02:02:57 AM »
I have faith in Enlightened Beings and how they work their mysterious ways.

Whether a mere mortal wants to attempt to control reincarnation or not, as long as Dorje Shugden is there, all will turn out for the best - best, meaning in the best interest of Dharma.

Dorje Shugden seem to be the only Protector recognised by the Chinese simply because TGIE is so against it and HHDL has banned it.

So, if nothing else, but all they have is Dorje Shugden in China - that is still all right with me. Because Dorje Shugden will bring out the right conditions for Dharma to take root and grow.
Helena

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
Actually, I don't really think that the Dalai Lama is working in any mysterious way at all. The Dalai Lama definitely believes in the Tulku system because he himself have recognized many Tulku throughout the many years of his tenure-ship.

He is saying that so that the Tibet/China would object and immediately ensure that the Tulku system stays and that they would have their hand in this. This is merely another skillful means of the Dalai Lama for his next move.

Perhaps, he is already planning to reincarnate right into Tibet/China and be a pawn so he can spread Buddhadharma through China. That is merely my speculation...After all, I can possibly fathom the Dalai Lama's vast mind and motivation. 

Gabby Potter

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 05:10:23 PM »
I'm sorry to say this but I'm pretty sure that it will fall apart, I mean look at their current situation, even the His Holiness is around and they are already acting like that, having massive conflicts and they are splitting apart. Do you really think it will be okay when His Holiness the Dalai Lama passes into clear light? I do not wish for bad things to happen to His Holiness nor Tibet, of course. No matter what happens to Tibet is non of my concern because I am not a Tibetan nor do I have any connections with them. But I do not wish for bad things to happen to Tibet because not all of them are bad people.