Author Topic: Zoege monk arrested from Chengdu hospital  (Read 9020 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Zoege monk arrested from Chengdu hospital
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:11:34 AM »
Interesting to note that this monk is said to be anti-Shugden and that he was arrested partly because of that.

http://phayul.com/news/article.aspx?article=Zoege+monk+arrested+from+Chengdu+hospital&id=28994

Zoege monk arrested from Chengdu hospital
Phayul [Tuesday, January 25, 2011 16:05]
By Kalsang Rinchen

Dharamsala, January 25 – The Public Security Bureau of Zoege County in Tibet’s Sichuan province have arrested a Tibetan monk on January 15, the Voice of Tibet reported. Soepa Gyatso, a monk of Tenzar Drenpa monastery in Zoege, and another monk had gone to a hospital in Chengdu, the provincial capital, for medical treatment. However, officials from the PSB arrested Soepa from the hospital without stating any reason or charge against him.

A Tibetan who had arrived from Zoege has told the radio service that Soepa had been to India some years back. “He was known for his dedication for public welfare, and his works to create environmental awareness in our locality,” the source said.

The Chinese authority appears to have, according to the source, felt that Soepa was actively involved in environmental campaign and anti shugden (deity whose worship the Dalai Lama discourages) under the exiled Tibetan leader’s influence. China regularly reviles the Tibetan leader calling him a "separatist" and arrests Tibetans for affiliation to or devotion

The source added that Soepa had been summoned by local PSB officials earlier in the past for questioning and warned against engaging in such campaigning activities. “He was told by the authorities that if he did not stop engaging in such activities [seems to be some text missing here..]

Currently, there is no information about where Soepa is being held by the authorities.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

daka

Re: Zoege monk arrested from Chengdu hospital
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:14:10 AM »
I think this is interesting. China has been adopting anti-religious policy for decades, yet they are arresting those who anti-Shugden now. Well, I see it as a very good sign. Hope it helps making dharma grow in China, they really need that. 

Mana

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:15:04 AM »
It seems to the Chinese that now whoever is anti-Shugden, he is automatically pro-Dalai Lama therefore a separatist.

The sign is more and more clear now, that China adopts the stand of pro-Shugden, leading towards widespread promotion of Shugden practice in the future...

Helena

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:22:28 AM »
Dharma is needed everywhere. So, wherever Dharma can take root - it is definitely a very very good sign.  :)
Helena

Robert Thomas

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:27:57 AM »
This is no good sign. This is terrible. Think about it - how can we feel happy that a person is arrested for no other reason than they follow thier conscience. This is exactly why I am so wary of the 'big picture' which says that bad is good. Of course in lojong we internally transform adverse conditions, but externally we oppose wrong actions - this is showing respect for conventional truths as Je Tsongkhapa advised.

Lineageholder

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:45:50 AM »
This is no good sign. This is terrible. Think about it - how can we feel happy that a person is arrested for no other reason than they follow thier conscience. This is exactly why I am so wary of the 'big picture' which says that bad is good. Of course in lojong we internally transform adverse conditions, but externally we oppose wrong actions - this is showing respect for conventional truths as Je Tsongkhapa advised.

Fantastic, Robert, I totally agree with you.  We must externally oppose wrong actions.

DSFriend

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »
I don't think anybody in here rejoices when someone is hurt or harmed but is merely stating a view that china's stand for a deity is interesting and could contribute towards the spread of dharma.

Robert Thomas

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:47:21 PM »
Dear DS Friend

I share your opinion that no one here is pleased about the suffereing of anyone. But if you read what people wrote, it appears that the belief that the Dalai Lama's Ban is causing Dharma to flouish has made them lose sight of the manifest suffering and therfore inherent contradiction such a view entails. All the comments seem to agree that this news is a good sign for the flourishing of Buddhism.

Below is an extract from a discussion Geshe Kelsang had on a web forum many years ago on a point which i think has many simillarities to today's situation. I think this because in both cases some people claim that wrong actions are the cause of great benefit. And superficially it even appears to be the case. However, I found his answer extremly illuminating at the time and still do so today.  Because he relies on Karma not historians to explain world events. Ask yourself as a Buddhist, How can crushing other Buddhist schools be the cause of pure Dharma to flourish?

"Question: Is it appropriate for a Gelugpa lama whose tradition benefited materially from these events* (surrounding the 5th Dalai Lama) to be complaining about them and holding the present Dalai Lama responsible when the leaders of the Kagyu and Sakya traditions themselves do not hold the present Dalai Lama to blame for these things?

"Answer (from Ven. Geshe Kelsang Gyatso)I believe that the Gelugpas owe their success mainly to the power of the special karmic connection between the Tibetan people and Je Tsongkhapa’s doctrine.

<edit>

I do not like to see other traditions degenerate. I am simply saying that the 5th Dalai Lama was misusing his political power to weaken the other traditions, and this is not correct. My main point here is that people should stop blaming the Gelugpas for the degeneration of the other traditions; instead of this we should each try to improve our own tradition, and appreciate and respect each other. "

*The "events" referrd to by the questioner, are the suppression of other Tibetan tradtions with the support of the Mongol army[/i][/size][/size]
from http://groups.google.com/group/talk.religion.buddhism/msg/3e32048104e859d2

On this basis I suggest humbly that the Dalai Lama's ban on Dorje Shugden has no bearing on the flourishing of this tradition but only hinders it. The cause for the tradition to flourish is in the power of the virtuos actions of its practitioners and the wealth of blessings of our lineage coupled with the close Karma of it and Dorje Shugden with the people of this time.  And actions such as the Chinese arresting innocent monks are to be unequivocally criticised and opposed.

thaimonk

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »

I am not happy that anyone is arrested for their religious beliefs. I hope the monk will be free soon. It does indicate that in parts of Tibet, anti-shugden activities is seen as clearly pro-Dalai Lama hence must be stopped.

Well Dharamsala created these chain of events. So China,is without intention protecting Dorje Shugden's practice. What an incredible irony. Dharamsala is always saying those who practice Dorje Shugden are being paid by Chinese. If that was really the case, then many Tibetans would gladly practice Dorje Shugden as they all want money to buy their visas to the US.

If Dharamsala would like to get on Beijing's good side, now is the time while the Dalai Lama is alive. After his passing, there is zero hope for Tibet already as a nation on it's own. All the protests by monks/lay in Tibet would have very little effect already.

Dharamsala is playing a dangerous waiting game. With Dalai Lama they can accomplish so little for the cause of Tibet, without him, there is only silence.

Whatever the case, Dorje Shugden's practice will continue to grow and expand. After the death of the Dalai Lama, no other lama would be tolerated to criticize Dorje Shugden in any way and if they did, they would be asking for sectarian trouble.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 02:36:53 AM »
Thank you, DS and Thai Monk for your comments.

At least, some people do understand my statement.

No one likes to suffer nor see anyone suffer. After all, the core of our Buddhist practice is to remove all causes of sufferings.

Hence, I sincerely reiterate - as long as Dharma takes root and spread - it is a good thing.

Those who are still keeping with their practice of Dorje Shugden will always be guided by Dorje Shugden, especially if they have kept their vows and practice well.

Those who have abandoned Dorje Shugden will undoubtedly feel the stark difference in their lives, unless they practice in secret. And no one will know anyways.

Those who have not heard of Dorje Shugden will begin to see and hear more as time goes by.

Whatever the case, Dorje Shugden's practice will continue to grow and expand. After the death of the Dalai Lama, no other lama would be tolerated to criticize Dorje Shugden in any way and if they did, they would be asking for sectarian trouble.

Dorje Shugden can only grow from strength to strength in time.

To me, that is always a good thing. Because I know, our Supreme Protector will take good care of everyone who comes across HIM, as HE has done for me.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.
Helena

icy

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
China is fast becoming a world power within this decade.  In this instance we are already witnessing the spread and protectionism of the practice of Dorje Shugden in China, I foresee the practice of Dorje Shugden will also become the most prominent force in China as well as the world.