Author Topic: Dalai Lama may retire in 6 months  (Read 26037 times)

beggar

Dalai Lama may retire in 6 months
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »
New Delhi, Nov 21 : Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama has said he was contemplating retirement within months and a final decision on it will be taken after consultations with the political leadership and Parliament-in-exile.

The 76-year-old leader, who has been living in India in exile since 1959, expressed hope that he could return to his homeland before his death.

"I think within next six months," the Tibetan leader in a television interview, when asked whether he was retiring as was being speculated.

He, however, promptly added that "I do not know. May be next few months. I think may be."

The Dalai Lama said he will firm up his decision on retirement after discussions with the Tibetan Parliament-in-exile.

"I want to inform them about my intention although I briefly mentioned (about it) already," he said.

source: from sinlung.com

http://www.sinlung.com/2010/11/dalai-lama-may-retire-within-6-months.html

##########################

What will this mean for the future of the ban on ds... ? More mayhem? Or more freedom and peace to practice?
Your thoughts....?

DharmaDefender

Re: Dalai Lama may retire in 6 months
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »
New Delhi, Nov 21 : Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama has said he was contemplating retirement within months and a final decision on it will be taken after consultations with the political leadership and Parliament-in-exile.

The 76-year-old leader, who has been living in India in exile since 1959, expressed hope that he could return to his homeland before his death.

"I think within next six months," the Tibetan leader in a television interview, when asked whether he was retiring as was being speculated.

He, however, promptly added that "I do not know. May be next few months. I think may be."

The Dalai Lama said he will firm up his decision on retirement after discussions with the Tibetan Parliament-in-exile.

"I want to inform them about my intention although I briefly mentioned (about it) already," he said.

source: from sinlung.com

http://www.sinlung.com/2010/11/dalai-lama-may-retire-within-6-months.html

##########################

What will this mean for the future of the ban on ds... ? More mayhem? Or more freedom and peace to practice?
Your thoughts....?

In the short term, probably more mayhem as the TGIE put in extra effort to enforce the ban since they haven't got the Dalai Lama's authority/backing anymore. Eventually though, people will see through their charade and it will lead to more freedom and peace to practise.

Anyway, let's not get our hopes up. Expectations are the cause for our disappointments.

Lineageholder

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
Since the Dalai Lama is the source of the ban and the TGIE just do what he says, hopefully with him gone, the ban will disappear.

However, I think that's probably too much to wish for.  I don't think the DL will let it go that easily.

Zach

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:01:57 PM »
Nothing can avoid the great Degeneration of time  :)
A ban cannot last for ever  :D

triesa

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »
If HH the Dalai lama chooses to retire in a few months time, I am sure he has all the reason for doing so.

When he is not in office anymore, I believe the Ban on DS will slowly die down as time goes by, and practitioners will be able to practise more openedly and freely.

It is surely a very interesting transition period ahead of us.

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
The practice of Dorje Shugden was banned because it SUPPOSEDLY jeopardized the health and lifespan of the 14th Dalai Lama as well as hinder the progress of Tibet's liberation from China.

With H.H being 76 years old and retiring from political duty, it would seem that the first purpose of banning our Protector is no longer quite valid. Similarly, without a clear direction for the future of the TGIE, the substantiation for the second purpose is also invalidated.

If the ban still continues and is violently upheld by the TGIE, it would reveal that they have been misleading the public about the reason for implementing the ban.

Therefore, it would be logical to conclude that the retirement of H.H would cause the ban to be lifted eventually as the ban no longer has a cause. Additionally, it would be wise for the TGIE to let this matter go so another can of worms that may cause further suffering (this time it may be the TGIE themselves who suffer) will not be opened.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
A few things that I thought about was:

1. Whether the 14th Dalai Lama is quiting his status as the political head of the Tibetan people, or his spiritual head role too? 
- 2 years ago, His Holiness told a German news magazine Der Spiegel that he will "no longer play a political role or a pronounced spiritual role".

2. Who is the successor? Is he/she going to play both the role as political head and also spiritual head?
- Earlier this year, the prime minister of the government-in-exile told the Guardian: "The age of the old monks is passing and we are looking forward to a young, energetic, lay leadership."
- "But as far as Tibetan struggle is concerned, we have a politically elected leadership," His Holiness said at the HT Leadership Summit.

3.  How relevant is the institution of Dalai Lama and whether it will continue?
- The Dalai Lama said that in case majority of the people among the Buddhist feel that the institution (of Dalai Lama) is not relevant, then it will cease to exist.
- The Dalai Lama said "It's for the Tibetan people to decide… If I die in the next few days, they may want to continue with the institution of the Dalai Lama. But if it's 20, 30 years later, who knows?"

Reference:
1. http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4596795
2. http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=28588&article=Dalai+Lama+says+Chinese+more+concerned+about+successor+than+him&t=1&c=1\
3. http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=28585&article=Calm+mind+is+key+to+happiness%3a+Dalai+Lama&t=1&c=1

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 03:05:34 AM »
Oh this is groundbreaking news! If the Dalai Lama does retire.... I feel he is already planning to leave his body. I pray that he does not and I do hope he relaxes on the ban too. His leaving would leave a vacuum not just in the TGIE but also in the larger Buddhist world as he had been a great leader. Who would be the successor for both of these positions? That would be the big million dollar question.

DSFriend

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 07:21:10 AM »
More news on Dalai Lama's retirement -

"Dalai Lama hints at full retirement within a year"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/22/dalai-lama-retirement-next-year

The Dalai Lama has given the clearest sign yet that he is preparing for a full retirement from political life, possibly within a year.

Speaking during an Indian television interview, the exiled Tibetan Buddhist spiritual leader said that he was contemplating raising the issue with the elected political leadership of the Tibetan community in exile within six months and that a final decision could be made "a few months" later.

"In order to utilise fully democracy I felt [it is] better I am not involved [and that] I am devoted to other fields, promotion of human values and peace and harmony," the 75-year-old said. "[But] firstly I have to discuss, to inform members of Tibetan parliament."

The most likely date for discussions to start would be after the elections for the Tibetan parliament in exile to be held in March next year.

Traditionally the office of the Dalai Lama combines spiritual and temporal roles. The current 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, has progressively distanced himself from a direct political role and expressed a desire to live as a simple monk. He remains however official head of the central Tibetan administration in exile.

Last week, at a conference in Delhi, the Dalai Lama said that a new set of political leaders were emerging among exiled Tibetans. Since 1960 an assembly has been elected by voters in exile but since 2001 the Kalon Tripa or prime minister has been elected too. For the coming elections, 80,000 voters have registered in India, Nepal, Bhutan, US, Europe, Australia and elsewhere.

The Dalai Lama also told the conference it was possible that he would be the last Dalai Lama, saying that the institution had been useful for many centuries but that this did not necessarily mean it could not be abolished if the majority of followers of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition so wished.

"Things change," he said last Friday though he also stressed his belief that, at least in the short term, believers would prefer to see a new Dalai Lama appointed. The question of the succession is highly controversial and risks sparking dissent within the Tibetan community. Chinese authorities are also likely to exploit any opportunities offered by the transition of power.

The present incumbent of the office told Indian television's Karan Thapar that the immediate question of the next Dalai Lama was not to be considered immediately. "I think for the moment, the next Dalai Lama issue, [let's] not hurry," he said.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:24:18 AM by DSFriend »

DSFriend

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 07:29:46 AM »
More news:

"Dalai Lama's possible retirement fuels succession fears"
Anxiety over reincarnation and succession surrounds hopes for replacement figurehead for Tibetan Buddhists
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/22/dalai-lama-retirement-succession-fears

The Dalai Lama's announcement that he could retire within six months may do more to confuse than enlighten listeners because of his overlapping religious and political roles.

He has described himself as "semi-retired" and, as unrest rippled through Tibetan areas in 2008, threatened to resign as leader of the administration-in-exile if violence continued.

Might he go further than giving up that position one day? Perhaps. Two years ago, Der Spiegel, the German news magazine, asked him whether it was possible to resign as Dalai Lama, given that Tibetans believe him to be the latest reincarnation in a long line of religious leaders. He told them he would "no longer play a political role or a pronounced spiritual role".

Some would like to see the Karmapa Lama, 26, succeed him as the figurehead of Tibetan exiles. Others believe it is time for a more fundamental change. Earlier this year, the prime minister of the government-in-exile told the Guardian: "The age of the old monks is passing and we are looking forward to a young, energetic, lay leadership."

The Dalai Lama has blurred the issues of succession and reincarnation. Asked if he would be the last, he told Der Spiegel: "The key factor should be the will of the Tibetan people ... Everything is possible: a conclave, like in the Catholic church, a woman as my successor, no Dalai Lama anymore, or perhaps even two, since the Communist party has, astonishingly enough, given itself the right to be responsible for reincarnations."

That was a reference to the controversy surrounding the reincarnation of the Panchen Lama, the second-highest monk in Tibetan Buddhism. The Dalai Lama identified six-year-old Gedhun Choekyi Nyima as the 11th Panchen Lama in 1995, but Beijing announced that a search committee had selected another boy, Gyancain Norbu.

Gedhun Choekyi Nyima has not been seen since; human rights groups have described him as the world's youngest political prisoner. Tibet's governor said earlier this year that he and his family were "living a very good life" and were reluctant to be disturbed.

The Dalai Lama is considering ways of averting that kind of crisis, possibly through the unprecedented step of seeking his own reincarnation. He told Der Spiegel: "I was unanimously asked to take part in choosing my successor and to keep the institution alive. But I hope that there is still plenty of time, and that I will have another 10 or even 20 years to think about things. Of course, if we are still in exile then, my successor will presumably have to be found somewhere in India, certainly outside Tibet."

DSFriend

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 07:54:10 AM »
Oh this is groundbreaking news! If the Dalai Lama does retire.... I feel he is already planning to leave his body. I pray that he does not and I do hope he relaxes on the ban too. His leaving would leave a vacuum not just in the TGIE but also in the larger Buddhist world as he had been a great leader. Who would be the successor for both of these positions? That would be the big million dollar question.

Could this be the answer to the million dollar question?

The Dalai Lama discusses succession
Small | Large

pgdharma

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
I feel sad that HH The Dalai Lama is retiring soon which may mean that he will eventually passed into clear light. However, I feel that the ban will eventually die off and all those practicing in "closet" now will do it in the open. Nothing last forever, even for a ban.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
Latest news from source: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/11/23/dalai-lama-to-retire-from-ceremonial-role/

Dalai Lama to Retire as Head of Tibetan Government
By: MEGAN FRIEDMAN (51 mins ago)
Topics: BUDDHISM, CHINA, DALAI LAMA, TIBET, WORLD

REUTERS/Mike Cassese

Tibet's spiritual leader plans to step down as head of the Tibetan government-in-exile, his spokesman said.

The Dalai Lama, 75, has scaled back his duties leading Tibet since 2001, when the Tibetan movement first directly elected a political leader. Since then, his government role has been mainly ceremonial as he travels around the world giving speeches. His spokesman said he would discuss retiring with the next session of parliament in March. Though it might not be too easy to get away; the speaker of Tibet's parliament said that a retirement requires consideration, since it would mean a sweeping political change.

(See pictures of The Dalai Lama's White House visit.)

"Retirement" would mainly mean stepping away from ceremonial duties as head of government, like signing resolutions. The Dalai Lama would still remain an advocate for the Tibetan movement and a Buddhist spiritual leader.

The Dalai Lama, who was born Tenzin Gyatso, is the highest-ranking Buddhist priest and seen as an incarnation of the original Dalai Lama from the 1300s. Finding a replacement requires a formal search party, though many expect the 26-year-old monk Karmapa to one day take his place.

Still, many worry the current Dalai Lama's retirement would mean a weakening of the Tibetan struggle against Chinese rule. Many hope he will still be the main negotiator for independence from China.

(See TIME's 10 Questions with the Dalai Lama.)

"This [retirement] does not mean that he will withdraw from leading the political struggle," said his spokesman, Tenzin Taklha. "He is the Dalai Lama, so he will always lead the Tibetan people." (via AFP)

I wonder what "a sweeping political change" would actually entail.

I am with Zach W - a ban can't last forever because nothing lasts forever.

With the new "leadership" in place, there will be other more pressing issues that will arise. Whoever it is, be it the 17th Karmapa or someone else - the state of transition will bring about its own set of challenges that will make the ban old news.

Helena

Zach

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »
Friends there will never be someone like His Holiness the Dalai lama again who holds both temporal and spiritual power of such magnitude, I think maybe such acts in this life are a deliberate attempt at once and for all removing the politics from what was once a most auspcious monastic lineage of reincarnated venerables.
After all how many here would follow the Karmapa as their spiritual and temporal leader ? Not that I have anything against HH Karmapa ( whichever one it maybe ) but as we know when the Dalai lama passes from this current body china will soon be filling the role would this perhapes provide the time for a perfect move back to the pure days of old.

After all HH panchen lama is working in china for others benifit Im under the impression because His eminence Gangchen lama has recognised him as his old friend the 10th that appearances and actions can appear to be deceptive but after all we cannot see the effects of what is to come from them over many lifetimes.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »
I agree with Helena. The retirement & its transition is a shift/ change in such a magnitude that the ban is miniscule.

I personally don't think His Holiness the Karmapa will continue to impose such a ban?

I feel sad to know that such a great leader now has limited time with us. His Holiness is a global icon and widely recognised and respected worldwide. I wonder if we will have another great leader that command such great respect and "fame" worldwide in this lifetime... :-\