Author Topic: Remembering 2004 Tsunami Victims  (Read 4892 times)

icy

Remembering 2004 Tsunami Victims
« on: December 27, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »
How sweet this is for the 2004 Tsunami victims to collect merits on an alms giving day for 500 Buddhist monks.

An alms giving for 500 Buddhist monks was held at Tangalle yesterday to bestow merit on those who died in the 2004 tsunami, with the participation of President Mahinda Rajapaksa. Picture shows the President offering Ata Pirikara to the Maha Nayake Thera of the Asgiriya Chapter Most Ven. Udugama Sri Budharakkitha Thera -

See more at: http://www.dailynews.lk/local/alms-giving-500-buddhist-monks-was-held-tangalle-yesterday?

bambi

Re: Remembering 2004 Tsunami Victims
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »
How wonderful! Although, they have passed on, they are still remembered and something meritorious is being done for them.

The Buddha said that one of the greatest gift one can confer on one's dead ancestors is to perform 'acts of merit' and to transfer these merits to them. He also said that those who give also receive the fruits of their deeds. The Buddha encouraged those who did good deeds such as offering alms to holy men, to transfer the merits which they received to their departed ones. Alms should be given in the name of the departed by recalling to mind such things as, 'When he was alive, he gave me this wealth; he did this for me; he was my relative, my companion'.
There is no use weeping, feeling sorry, lamenting and bewailing; such attitudes are of no consequence to the departed ones.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »
It really touches my heart to know that after so many years that the people still remember the 2004 Tsunami victims. 
Making offerings generate lots of merits and we can also dedicate the merits to the families of the departed and also to help the deceased have a good and swift rebirth too,
May all the families be blessed by the Buddha.

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »
This is great. There are many traditions all over the world, celebrated in most world religions, that centre on honouring family or other loved ones through various means. This in my opinion is the best way..... but I probably slightly biased because of my being a Buddhist. lol.

Seriously, however, this is a great way to ensure that those who have moved on to their next lives are able to benefit. We aren't able to provide for them physically but we can do something that can alleviate their suffering and propel them towards enlightenment.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 02:33:03 AM »
I may not understand how hard these victims fell during those times of pain and suffering, but I can only imagine and times those imagination by much more. Tsunamis have caused so much havoc, years and years passed, each country with an increasing deathbed, Japan, Thailand, Haiti...
The mourns and losses these people felt, no home, no family, no future, no possessions to remember by. I am so happy humanity still stand in certain people even under such suppression of a corrupted society. May God, Buddha and every highly being in this universe bring them mercy and help them overcome their hardships with merits and good karma.

vajrastorm

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »
Beautiful indeed that 500 monks remembered the 2004 tsunami victims , and performed arms giving, dedicating all the merits to these poor hapless beings who had been swept away in the tsunami.
In recent times, we have had  a spate of bad news of violence committed between different groups in Thailand and  Myanmar . In India itself, there was the violent attack on a frail elderly monk, personal assistant to the previous incarnation of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche. This heinous act was a case of an attack staged by anti-Shugdenists against innocent Shugden practitioners

It is thus like a breathe of fresh air, of sunshine after rain, to hear about these monks acting in concert out of great compassion. How Beautiful!

i