Author Topic: Transcendental Billionaire  (Read 9431 times)

Namdrol

• Email
Transcendental Billionaire
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:23:27 PM »

by Naazneen Karmali, Forbes Magazine, March 26, 2012

Subhash Chandra built the world's largest structure dedicated to the meditation style he credits with his success.

Mumbai, India -- Every day busloads of tourists arrive in Gorai, a seafront suburb of Mumbai, and head to Esselworld and Water Kingdom, two popular theme parks built by Indian billionaire Subhash Chandra’s Essel Group.

Since 2008 the traffic to Gorai has jumped several-fold. Around 10,000 of those people are seeking something other than a ride down a water slide. They are going to the giant golden pagoda. You can see it from miles around rising from the trees in a sharp fingerlike spire aimed at the clouds. The people are going to the pagoda to sit in Vipassana, an ancient Buddhist meditation style seeing a revival in India.

His name is not anywhere on the pagoda, but the landmark’s great ­patron is none other than Chandra, who made a $1.8 billion fortune off television network Zee TV, watched by 500 million viewers a day. He largely credits meditation for his business success. His teacher for going on two decades is Satya Narayan Goenka, the 86-year-old guru who spearheads the Vipassana movement. In 1997 Chandra gifted the 13-acre plot on which the temple stands. It was worth an estimated $5 million when he parted with it and is probably worth twice as much today.

The Global Vipassana Pagoda took 11 years to build. It is 325 feet tall and painted bright gold, a replica of Myanmar’s 2,000-year-old Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon. It has the distinction of being the world’s largest hollow stone dome constructed without any supporting pillars. It was made using traditional techniques, with interlocking blocks of red sandstone, each weighing up to 1,540 pounds and bonded together with lime ­mortar. Around 2.5 million tons of sandstone was hauled 620 miles from Rajasthan, the desert state in northern India that is famous for this ­particular variety.

“This is a unique structure. It’s been built to last 2,000 years,” says Chandra, a youthful-looking 61 years old, in his office at Essel’s headquarters in Mumbai. He appears as serene as the Buddha in the painting that hangs behind his desk. “I had benefited so much from Vipassana, I felt it was important for many more people to be able to share the experience.”

Chandra personally supervised every aspect of the pagoda’s construction, insisting on daily reports and making the two-hour drive in traffic from his headquarters twice a week to review the site. When there was a money crunch Chandra would dip into his pocket to ensure that work didn’t stop. While Chandra won’t disclose exactly how much he personally contributed, he acknowledges that the project cost ten times as much as the initial estimate of $2 million.

When the monument finally opened four years ago, Chandra played a central role in the enshrinement ceremony, carrying a jade stone container with original bone relics of the Buddha on his head and placing it near the top of the first dome. “Vipassana taught me how to maintain equanimity in all situations of life. This has helped me tremendously in business, more so in the tough times,” he says.

Chandra is well acquainted with how perilous financial problems can be. He was born into a trading family and grew up in a small village in northern India. As he relates it, the ­extended family, which numbered as many as 86 people, slipped into debt and split up. He had to drop out of college and start working. With less than a dollar in his pocket he moved to Delhi to find a way to pay off the family’s debt. He eventually made decent money in rice trading and moved to Mumbai, where he set up a packaging unit making laminated tubes. Today his Essel Propack claims to be the world’s largest ­producer of such tubes.

Inspired by CNN’s coverage of the Gulf war, Chandra took a gamble and started Zee TV, India’s first satellite television channel, in 1992. His family fretted that he would lose the modest pile he’d made. Ashok Kurien, his pal and Zee’s cofounder, says it was like walking into the valley of death. There was no private Indian broadcaster, since regulations didn’t permit it then. So he set up in Hong Kong. The Indian government questioned him several times, and he was told to shut the channel down; he refused. At the outset he burned through cash at the rate of $6 million a month.

Around the same time, he was introduced by an acquaintance to the guru Goenka, who persuaded Chandra to do his first meditation course. Chandra’s wife of 38 years, Sushila, encouraged her husband to try Vipassana as an antidote to his current stress. “Even today, whenever he’s troubled, I remind him that it’s time to go back.”

As it was, the first course proved to be more than a mere stress-buster. When Chandra returned to work after a ten-day retreat, his colleagues commented that his mind had become “sharp like a knife.” When asked to ­describe the experience, he demurs, adding, “It can’t be truly explained. Suffice to say, the return on the time I invested in doing the course was enormous. Immeasurable.”
Article Controls

As things got more stressful for Chandra, he continued going on retreats frequently. Over the years Chandra has done 17 Vipassana courses in durations varying from 3 to 25 days. While there are always business compulsions to dissuade him from taking time off, he’s learned to ­ignore them. “Very often there are forces that try to prevent you, but I just go,” he says.

Ashok Kurien, who still sits on the board and retains a minority stake, says that in the early years of Zee Chandra’s frequent disappearances were disconcerting. “We used to have 40 different problems hitting us at the same time. Subhash would disappear from the scene right in the middle of a raging gun battle. But he would return reenergized and recharged,” he recalls.

Chandra’s efforts to get his family into Vipassana have been less than successful. While Sushila and son Punit have attended a couple of courses, they don’t practice as diligently as he does. His younger son Amit enrolled in a course but left halfway through. Staff at Zee are given paid leave to do the course, but less than 15% have enrolled. Chandra is ­sanguine: “It isn’t in their destiny.”

Vipassana, which means “to see things as they really are,” differs from other forms of meditation in that it involves no chanting and focuses not on the breath but on observing sensations throughout the body. It’s claimed that this practice of self-observation eventually purifies the mind. “I found this meditation method to be very ­scientific,” says Chandra. “I felt it was the right path for me.”

The technique has its roots in India, where it was taught and practiced by the Buddha himself 2,500 years ago. It spread to neighboring countries such as Myanmar and Sri Lanka and eventually disappeared from India. It resurfaced in 1969 when Goenka, who was living in Myanmar, returned home to reintroduce it to its country of origin. The nonprofit Vipassana Research Institute, set up by Goenka, now has more than 1,200 volunteers who conduct courses in 163 centers in 90 countries.

The courses are free and funded solely by donations from past students. Mastering this art of meditation begins with a ten-day residential course that is like boot camp. Students meditate for ten hours daily, starting at 4 a.m., and are required to adhere to a strict moral code, including abstaining from lying, stealing and sex. They take a vow of ­silence. There’s no reading, writing, watching TV or chatting on phones. Students sleep in small rooms furnished with only a single bed and get two ­vegetarian meals a day.

Chandra, who in 2008 handed down operations to older son Punit, recently announced an additional $250 million investment in Veria Living, the health-and-wellness channel in the U.S. he launched in 2007. It has not yet made money, but he insists it eventually will. “A lot of money may go down the drain, but this is close to my heart,” he says. “It’s my passion.”

Chandra also stepped down as chairman of the Global Vipassana Foundation in 2009 once the pagoda was completed. He remains a trustee and continues to practice daily. Says Chandra: “I can meditate anywhere, anytime, even whilst talking to you.”

yontenjamyang

• Email
Re: Transcendental Billionaire
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 05:25:50 AM »
Thank you Namdrol for this post.

It is truly inspiring and is a confirmation of the Buddhist practices. Vipassana is a basis for all forms of Buddhist meditations including Zen and Tibetan Buddhism. Vipassana is often translated as "insight", "clear seeing" or "see apart" or "see deeply". It has the effect of calming the mind thus making our mind sharper and gives us different and often better perspectives in our daily life.

Practicing some form of meditation daily is highly recommended for every one in this modern, hectic, stressful and degenerate times as we can gain the benefits of discerning the truth of reality in a gradual or fast path depending on the individual ability. The results is that we view things as impermanent, equanimous or impartial. This helps by us realizing that things are not really as we perceived. The things or events we perceived to be the "stressful" can easily be overcome by doing meditations.

In the Tibetan Buddhism context, a practitioner practice what the Guru prescribed, which may involve a daily sadhana, some work for the Guru or Sangha or just mantra recitations which leads to a transformation of the mind. True meditation are not just for the 1 hour or so during the meditation period but also involve mindfulness in between meditations. Practiced correctly, it is a 24/7 meditation that can truly help us in our life and in our future rebirths.

triesa

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:11:43 AM »
Thank you Namdrol for sharing this article.

It is really wonderful to have people like Chandra who not only share what he has benefited, but put all his heart and soul into ensuring the Vipassana traditions can be passed on by building this big pogada.

People who can use their wealth to benefit others are always inspiring, it is like they are returning the resources from what they have taken in  this world to benefit back the world and its people, as they know they can't take all the money with them when they die. A lot of wealthy billionaires such as Bill Gates, Warren Buffett are also sending up funds for special projects for the underprevileged.

Sometimes, I just wish I could be one, but obviously I did not accumulate enough merits in my previous lives to enable me to do this...... :-[

Galen

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »
There are not many people who can give their wealth away for the benefit of many people. But Chandra is a gem who can do it and he does it is because he has benefitted from his practice. His sharing of his wealth and spirituality is very commendable and he himself oversees the construction of the pagoda. THis is true passion.

With this pagoda up, he not only contributes to the spirituality of people, he also contributes to the economy and the fame of the place because the pagoda attracts lots of tourists and people. THis is the ripple effect of just one person doing more for others. In his case, it is a lot more!!!

Congratulations to Chandra and may he inspire more rich people to contribute to the people rather than to themselves only.

jeremyg

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:55:49 PM »
I hope he has the right motivations behind the meditations, and he isn't just doing it for himself, and to make more money. If he is doing it properly that's great. I hope he continues to help and contribute back to the people. I also hope that he uses the billions that he has, to help people, and not just to meditate more, because for me that would be more meaningful

pgdharma

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »
Thanks Namdrol for sharing this inspiring article. People who are rich should contribute back to society. It is good to see billionaire Subhash Chandra not only sharing his wealth materially but spiritually. The meditation courses are conducted free and his staffs are given paid leave to attend the meditation course. He even contributes to the economy of his country by building The Global Vispassana Pagoda which attracted a lot of people.

May more rich people be inspired by him and contribute back to society :)

dondrup

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
After Goenka introduced Vipassana at a prison in Bihar in India, it became an effective and popular programme used in many prisons around the world to transform the minds of the inmates.

Many practitioners had practised and benefitted from Vipassana meditation.  Mr. Chandra the billionaire had proven Vipassana’s effectiveness in overcoming his stress, maintaining equanimity, sharpening his concentration and wisdom.

I truly rejoice in Mr. Chandra’s effort and generosity to share this beneficial meditation.  Mr. Chandra has such great merits to be able to build the Global Vipassana Pagoda and help spread the Vipassana meditation to the World.

The modern World needs meditation like Vipassana to help cultivate mindfulness and awareness. Vipassana offers the practitioners more than just mindfulness and awareness; it helps them perceive things as they really are.  It gives them the true peace of mind.  It helps them to overcome the three poisons of the mind – ignorance, anger and hatred, the causes of samsaric existence.

What a brilliant idea to locate the replica of Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon next to the two popular theme parks, Esselworld and Water Kingdom.  The Global Vipassana Pagoda will attract many people and offers the visitors an opportunity to explore the inner workings of their Mind!  Many visitors will receive the imprints and blessings of the Buddha. Who can miss such magnificent and beautiful structure!

Jessie Fong

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
Not every self-made millionaire (or billionaire) would give back to society, not the way that Mr Subash Chandra had.  His Global Vipassana Pagoda is his way of giving to the people what he has reaped for himself having gone through the Vipassana meditation and retreats.  The proof is in the pudding.

Mr Chandra even encouraged his staff to attend the free courses, though not many took up his offer.  Rare is the person who shares his material wealth and spirituality.  May there be many more Mr Chandras in the world who contribute back to society and may he continually be an inspiration to others.

Big Uncle

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
This is so neat! When a person knows a little bit of the Dharma, it will change the way he thinks and acts. This man is clearly influenced by the Dharma and that's why he would use it to help many. His actions will provide mental relief for so thousands who engages in Vipassana. It will also bring Dharma to them, which in itself is the highest offerings one can give to others. The merits accrued is phenomenal.

Klein

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »
Thank you for sharing this article on Chandra. This is a clear example of the many benefits of practising Buddha's teachings. In this case, it's practising Vipassana meditation. Benefits that Chandra received from meditating are:

1. Chandra could release his stress from work.
2. Chandra could resolve pressing issues in his company.
3. Chandra became a billionaire because his mind became more clear, alert and sharp.
4. Chandra became altruistic by donating and building the golden pagoda for people to learn Vipassana meditation. This is an act of selflessness.

With one method of Buddha's teachings, Chandra already received so much benefits. We can imagine if we learned and practised more, the benefits would be immeasurable.

Rihanna

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 04:52:56 AM »
I hope he has the right motivations behind the meditations, and he isn't just doing it for himself, and to make more money. If he is doing it properly that's great. I hope he continues to help and contribute back to the people. I also hope that he uses the billions that he has, to help people, and not just to meditate more, because for me that would be more meaningful

[Is this the same person? I hope the pagoda was built with clean money.
INDIA
'Extortion' case: Zee chairman Subhash Chandra appears before police for questioning
December 8, 2012 | PTI
NEW DELHI: Zee group chairman Subhash Chandra appeared before police on Saturday for questioning in connection with the alleged Rs 100 crore extortion bid by two Zee editors from Congress MP Naveen Jindal's company for not airing news damaging to it. Chandra, who had secured an interim protection from arrest till December 14 by a Delhi court, came to crime branch office in Chanakyapuri along with lawyers where he was questioned. His...

INDIA
Zee extortion case: Subhash Chandra, son questioned
December 9, 2012 | Raj Shekhar , TNN
NEW DELHI: Zee Group chairman Subhash Chandra and his son Puneet Goenka, the managing director of the company, appeared before Delhi Police on Saturday to face interrogation over the alleged Rs 100crore extortion bid by two Zee group editors from Naveen Jindal's company for not airing news damaging to it. At 9pm, the duo came face to face with Sudhir Chaudhary and Sameer Ahluwalia, the arrested Zee editors, who were then sent to two day police custody....

INDIA
Police question Zee chairman Subhash Chandra, son for second day
December 9, 2012 | PTI
NEW DELHI: Zee Group chairman Subhash Chandra and his son Puneet Goenka were questioned for the second day on Sunday in connection with the alleged Rs 100 crore extortion bid from Congress MP Naveen Jindal's company. After nine-and-half hour questioning and confronting them with two arrested Zee editors, police asked the father and son duo to appear before investigations on Sunday afternoon. Both Chandra and Puneet came to Crime Branch office at around...]

apprenticehealer

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 06:57:18 AM »
Thank you Namdrol for sharing this article.

It is very inspiring that Subhash Chandra, who came from a poor background , gave back to society when he had made his millions and not 'brag' about it by not disclosing how much he had spent on building the temple. And the focus he displayed by overseeing the whole project personally, wanting daily reports and visiting the site frequently, showed his commitment in serving others.

"I have benefitted so much from Vipassana"
"Vipassana taught me how to maintain equanimity in all situations"

Clearly from the above two quotes that Chandra never forgot his roots and how he devoted and dedicated he is to the teachings of the Buddha.

I salute his generosity, courage, compassion and his humility.

brian

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 10:10:34 AM »
Chandra is an attained Buddhist practitioner, the way he operates and thinks in daily activity or working on a big project is in accordance with Buddhist teachings. He neither want recognition nor fame and even resigned from his position to become a trustee after the pagoda been completed. This goes to show how attained he really is.

In this degenrate times, it is particularly rare to find great people like Chandra who readily parted with his wealth and being so committed to this project. I think he believes in helping people and this is his way to contribute to the society mankind rather than sit back and enjoy his karma of being wealthy this life.

fruven

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 06:15:16 PM »
Chandra has a lot of courage to persevere in his vipassana meditation even while his company required his presence to manage it but it didn't make his company closed down. In the end he is the one to gain the most by being discipline enough to continuously doing meditation when he sees that he needs it even while others things needed his urgent attention.

Chandra shows that we can be both spiritual and wealthy as well. Prioritizing spirituality will have a better long term benefits as opposed to wealth. What we can see is he gave back a lot to vipassana community.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »
Interesting. inspiring. scary. Interesting life Chandra has lived. Inspiring that he sponsored this pagoda and believed so much in vipassana meditation. Scary that he was in a case of alleged blackmailing and extortion, filed by Congress MP Naveen Jindal. I don't know what is the latest on this case though i did a light google. Whether Chandra is guilty or not, i hope he is not purely because i would like him to be clean since he is successful and promoting spirituality. Perhaps he should ask Dorje Shugden for protection if he is innocent!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being