Author Topic: Monks of Serpom and Shar Gaden  (Read 25112 times)

DharmaSpace

Re: Monks of Serpom and Shar Gaden
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »
I noted that Kyabje Domo Geshe Choktrul Rinpoche is still in minority.  Does he ended up in Shar Gaden because he voluntarily chose red sticks?  How does he ended up in Shar Gaden?

At the time the red and white sticks are implemented, what was the starting age before someone could make the choice?  How old Kyabje Domo Geshe Choktrul Rinpoche at the time?

With regard to the recognition of new Tulku, does Shar Gaden and Serpom have the same rights to enthrone new Tulkus in their monasteries as compared to the other "non DS" monasteries?  Who will be the approval authority since they are not officially related to HHDL?

I heard somewhere that Domo Geshe mum found this definitive website and how the information was presented in this website convinced her to send her child to Shar Gaden, so this website is really pivotal for the spread of Dorje Shugden and giving the right information. I think Shar Gaden recognises their own tulkus like Domo Geshe.

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 02:46:35 AM »
During my visit to Serpom, I was touched by  how the young monks were very well treated and trained by older monks . On numerous occasions , while the young monks gathered to serve food/drinks to the sangha congregation , a senior will be giving instructions etc and they will be scurrying all over the gompa doing their thing. I could see the love and care the much bigger monks have for the young ones. There was not any sign of bullying or abuse despite the huge physical difference between them. There was mutual respect which ensured smoothness and efficiency in performing their functions. It was a delight to see the quiet happiness in all of them and there was no hint of pretentiousness.
There was no shoving or pushing when they queue up to receive ' angpows' and offerings from us .Seniors patiently line up with the juniors without any  rank discrimination.
I also dropped in  the classes they were havting at that time.  They were  very organised and disciplined in conducting the classes.
I believe parents in the region are aware of the good work and efforts these two monasteries are putting in to send their children there in the same way we check out the reputation of schools and colleges we wish to send our kids. If parents are DS followers, the natural preference for Serpom n Shar Gaden is obvious since they have received so much benefit themselves.

vajrastorm

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 09:05:09 AM »
It is heartwarming  to learn that, despite such mindless discrimination against them, the monks in Serpom and Shar Gaden have created sanctuaries of peace and  harmony within their monasteries by their love and great compassion.The young monks, including Domo Geshe Rinpoche, are being nurtured so well by the senior monks . There is no doubt that these young monks will carry on the lineage teachings and traditions very capably and with equal zeal, when they come to maturity themselves. So Dorje Shugden monasteries, like Serpom and Shar Gaden,are among the rare existing monasteries that will faithfully preserve the pure lineage teachings of Je Tsongkapa.

Carpenter

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »
That’s right, I believe they will definitely carry the lineage well, because even when they are young, they already learned to care for other people, while walking together with the young monks, when they saw you carry heavy things, very fast they will come to you and want to help to carry for you, and they will insist to help carry or walk close to you waiting to help you.

They will take every trouble step to make sure you are well taken care, in such a young age they already cultivated this kind of care and kindness, this is just as what Dalai Lama has quoted:

-   If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion

-   It is necessary to help others, not only in our prayers, but in our daily lives. If we find we cannot help others, the least we can do is to desist from harming them

-   Today, more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal responsibility, not only nation to nation and human to human, but also human to other forms of life

-   It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come

Today when I came across these quotes, it reminded me of how kind and compassion the monks in Serpom and Shar Gaden, and when these monks can gives us such impact of kindness, it shows how serious they are in their practice. This is just so wonderful.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:11 AM »
Just to share this photo and short bio of this venerable monk.

Ven Geshe Tenzin Dorje: The New Shar Gaden School Principal and the New Director of the Library. He had been a regular teacher for past two years where he had served with full of dedication and love. He is very well known for his extraordinary skills in Tantric fields. He received a number of teachings from the previous Kyabje Trijang Vajradhara, Ling Rinpoche, Zong Vajradhara, Zemey Rinpoche and so on. He was an alumnus of Gaden Shartse Monastery, where he completed his studies and was respectfully conferred the Geshe Degree which is the most deserving.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

bambi

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 03:55:58 AM »
Eventhough the ban has made life difficult for many people yet they still send their kids to Serpom and Shar Gaden. How strong is their faith in Dorje Shugden! It's great to know that those young monks are well taken of and cared for. This shows that no matter how Dorje Shugden is being discriminated and brought down, people can tell the difference between wrong and right! Learning young is so beneficial. I wish my kids can be trained in such a way as well.

valeriecheung

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
Re monks of shar & serpom monastery, after watched all video took by my friend whom came back from monasteries. I felt extremely touched by all the monks about their devotion,never give up no matter what happen, caring, gentleness, disciplin and etc. Especially keeping their DS practises even they force to split up with their families, closed friends and dharma brothers and sisters. These monks still choose DS. These monks cannot enjoy facilities of hospitally and medicine support. This is unacceptable. After all these bad treatment by CTA and HHDL, they still keep HHDL picture on there altar and pray to HHDL. These what I admired most.

Carpenter

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 03:55:53 AM »
Re monks of shar & serpom monastery, after watched all video took by my friend whom came back from monasteries. I felt extremely touched by all the monks about their devotion,never give up no matter what happen, caring, gentleness, disciplin and etc. Especially keeping their DS practises even they force to split up with their families, closed friends and dharma brothers and sisters. These monks still choose DS. These monks cannot enjoy facilities of hospitally and medicine support. This is unacceptable. After all these bad treatment by CTA and HHDL, they still keep HHDL picture on there altar and pray to HHDL. These what I admired most.

I agree, and to add on, the DS practitioners actually have a very simple mind and kind heart, spiritual practice are something very personal, other people should not use spiritual practice as excuses to attack them, they have the right, they own the right fully to practice what they believe in.

Although they have been treated very unfairly, but they did not even thinking of paying back with revenge, no hatred, and never use any excuse to hurt other people as to release the suffering they are facing. They do their practice quietly, patiently and even help those who are in need for help.

They forgive and help, who else can do this?

VS

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »
Though both Serpom and Shar Gaden are not considered as the 'main stream monasteries', but they have very good and qualified teachers who are sincere and passionate in helping and teaching the younger monks. Most of the senior monks in these monasteries are elite masters that have opted to continue with their Dorje Shugden practice that was given to them by their Gurus and not giving in to the pressure of the ban.

This is really admirable as they have to face tonnes and tonnes of obstacles by choosing this path and yet they did not criticise HHDL nor did they blame the community at large for treating them 'differently'. In fact, they rise above the challenge and grew stronger and more popular. They carried on in spreading Lama Tsongkhapa and Dorje Shugden practice regardless of the obstacles thrown in their way. This can be seen in the 'success' they achieved during the official opening of their monasteries.

More sponsors and followers are coming forth towards these monasteries and are being blesse by our great Protector Dorje Shugfden.

May more sponsors come forth in supporting all Dorje Shugden monasteries, creating the causes for the ban to be lifted soon.

RedLantern

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »
Serpom monastery aims to produce Buddhist masters,philosophers,scholars,peace educators etc.to make greater contribution to world peace and people's welfare. Here monks study the five text of the Mahayana Buddhist curriculum,which takes an average of 18 years.The monks are granted free education,meal and accomodation.There are 567 monks at this monastery excluding the monks who resides abroad.The monastery is open to anyone without any discrimination.It's sister monastery is Shar Gaden monastery.This monastery will be safe and blessed with Dorje shugden's practice.

Barzin

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 06:16:01 PM »
It is ironic that even after the ban, even Shar Gaden is on their own even through difficult times, they managed to survive and more and more younger generation monks are joining them.  On the other hand, Serpom is new and now there is a huge infatuation of young monks and teachers.  Now, the both monasteries are suppose to be the "alternative".  But if Dorje Shugden is bad, their work wouldn't grow.  But now we are worried about them getting supplies and being cut off from the mainstream.  But I think it actually created more awareness to the people from the outside work to help and support their world, in other words their names are actually on a international platform!

Of course, those who did the research Dorje Shugden came from a line of great elite masters all the way to what we have now Shar Gaden and Serpom.  Without the ban, we wouldn't have the alternative!  The parents of the young monks would have done research that the monasteries provide excellent studies and masters based on their past result.  Even it is directly going against the will of His Holiness, but maybe it is meant to be this way?   ;)

dsdisciple

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »
Thank you Losang Tenpa for your feedback and information concerning the young monks at Shar Gaden.

It is very heartening to hear they are being taken great care of by the older monks and house teachers? Great Care for future Dharma Teachers upholding our lineage and protector.

How often in worldly life we see the results of the care and teaching of good parents whose kids turn out good due to the amount of love and care they were given...and imagine what can come from children in Dharma! (in Shar Gaden and Serpom, around enlightened teachers).

Where would you want your child to get a spiritual and secular education? No where else that's for sure.. :D

xo

lotus1

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
I am very fortunate that I am able to pay a visit to Shar Gaden. When I was there, I am amazed and touched by what I saw. Despite the ban and being ostracized by the whole Tibetan community, the monks there are so nice and serious about their practices.

I can experience the peacefulness and serenity being there in Shar Gaden. The monks, old or young, are very friendly, kind and gave us warm welcome. Their smiles are very genuine and authentic. Although they have very limited resources, they do not complain. Instead, the young monks studied very hard in class, debates and do their puja and practice seriously. Their Guru devotions are so strong that they are not afraid of all the obstacles that they are facing even it may endanger their life but they are still practicing DS which is taught by their Guru.

Therefore, we should support them in whatever way we can, financially or publicity to create the awareness and the truth of DS. May the ban be lifted soonest and more people can be blessed and be protected by DS.   

P/s. You may also watch the video here to know more about Shar Gaden : http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=111

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »
No matter how you want to see it, Dorje Shugden is helping these monasteries to grow, and you can tell that they are definitely Buddhists as they are happier and calm despite the ban going on and despite being ostracized by their community. Those are the mark of high quality practitioners that will definitely make the Dharma grow in all the directions because the lead and teach by example.

This really does increase my faith in Dorje Shugden more as he has promised to help practitioners who petition him to grow in the Dharma and also to have their needs taken care of and have what they need so that they will have more time for Dharma practice. And guess what: he is fulfilling his pledge of providing and caring for his practitioners and there is actual proof of that happening.

Shar Ganden and Serpom is truly an inspiration for us all to follow, that is to not give up whenever it gets hard to practice the Dharma. When we give up on the Dharma whenever something gets hard or difficult, or worse still, that they're not really difficult but its nothing more than just our perception that things are hard, how can we truly get any results from practicing the Dharma that way?

The emergence and success of Shar Ganden and Serpom is very clear proof that Dorje Shugden is beneficial as he brings about positive results. If that is not visible proof of his positivity, I dont know what is. And I would love to hear from  the monks of Shar Ganden on their updates and daily happenings here because its proof that he is actually good for all of us.

Carpenter

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »
Oh you have been there too Lotus1? it is very nice isn't it?

I went last year with a few friends to visit Serpom for their opening ceremony, I saw many tourists, many people visited them, wonder is there you one of the many tourists i saw. The world is so small huh.

I agree with you, the monks there are so nice, to me, a Dharma practitioner should be someone who can go through any obstacle but still can remain their own self character, and not going around hurting and harming people with other belief.

When i went there, what i saw are a group of monks, I saw how they live their life, if for anyone there are not practicing Dharma seriously, i'm sure they would have ran away already...