Author Topic: Repaying our mother's kindness  (Read 18495 times)

Tenzin K

Re: Repaying our mother's kindness
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 10:54:59 AM »
A mother will sacrifice everything for their children.
Firstly from the time where the mother pregnant going through the hard time with the physical and hormone changes in them.

Later during delivery where the mother have to go through tremendous pain and have the baby out to the world.

After that only the beginning of the journey raising ups the child. The care of a mother can never end regardless of time or ages. The mother are tirelessly concern, always protect and thing for their child interest before hers. 

This is what we should always remember and remind us as a child to repay our mother kindness.
As mentioned by negra, seeing that all beings had been our mothers. We believe in endless rebirth and we our self-have been a mother before and all other people have been our mother before. To practice boddhicitta it’s a best way to treat all people as our mother and always have the compassion for others as our mothers. It’s wonderful but not easy to practice but we can start to visualize all people with the mothers qualities.

Positive Change

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »
Indeed... for all of us, our mothers are like our source and inspiration for compassion and love. It is easy to have such love for our mothers because we feel connected to her... as she is tangibly the person who gave us life. Well, if we truly believe in reincarnation and Karma, as it says in the Lamrim, every living being have indeed been our mothers.... so should we not extend that very same attitude towards every living being equally?

I personally find that mind blowing and really humbling. The very principles of my belief in existence is based on that fact and it is hard to deny even if my deceptive mind tries very hard to deny. It does win sometimes and I do get caught up in samsaric 'pleasures' or distractions but how I gauge that my spiritual path or direction is going the right way is that I am able to control or lessen it dramatically as time goes by. And for that I am ever thankful I have come across Dharma... I wish and prayer everyone comes to this very minute realization where we can start to focus out and not inward...

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »
The love and kindness shown us by our mother in this life would be difficult to repay. She endured many sleepless nights to care for us when we were helpless infants. She fed us and would have willingly sacrificed everything, including her own life, to spare ours. As we contemplate her example of devoted love, we should consider that each and every being throughout existence has treated us this way. Each dog, cat, fish, fly, and human being has at some point in the beginningless past been our mother and shown us overwhelming love and kindness. Such a thought should bring about our appreciation.

pgdharma

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
A mother's love is the greatest as she will even die protecting her children.

All sentient beings have been our mother before and we should treat each and everyone with the same kindness like our present mother. This is the practice of Bodhicitta and to show our compassion for them and repay their kindness, the best is to bring them into the dharma and if this is not possible then we should dedicate our merits to them that they may one day meet meet the dharma.

My mother was very fortunate to meet a Guru who taught her the dharma and when she passed away, her Guru helped and guided her to her next rebirth. As her daughter, the best I could do is to dedicate my merits to her that she may take a good rebirth. As a mother myself, the best gift I can give to my children is the dharma.

biggyboy

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »
Before knowing and learning dharma, the thoughts and wishes to have family and kids were there thinking that it will the security for old age.  How silly and ignorant I was to think that way.  Well, that's how we were brought up to think that.  I would rather use all those time that are to be spent and 'invested' to raise our kids to learn and practise dharma instead.  Every being that we are connecting with are our mothers and hence to treat every person the same though it seem to be not easy.  Well, what is easy in life?  We need to constantly practise to uncondition our conditioned non-virtuous mind for the better over time and dedicate our merits to our mothers in past and present life so that they may one day be born where Buddha is.

ratanasutra

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »
Wow!! this is very interesting..

To become a mother for a child it take such a lot of responsibily, love and care in order to raise children to grow with right attitude, motivation and actions. So it seem like most of mother have bodhicitta mind towards their child. But to have same bodhicitta mind to other child or other people is not that easy as our love always not pure love but it love with agenda. so to be a mother doesn't mean that you will be kind than other people.

i will prefer to not be a mother of one child but for everyone as the fact of everyon is one life time had been our mother before, this is make sense and it good enough for us to start to practice bodhicitta and cut out all the delusions mind and attachement.

In another point of being a mother, you create more attachment towards your child and as the same time you also become more lovely, caring, patience person which those quality can be develop more in spiritual practice. Attachment will be the obstacle for your progress of the spiritual practice, only when you realize about it then it will be useful in the spiritual practice.

The best mother we should remember and put her as an idol is Mohter Teresa, she truly a great mother for everyone in the world, her love and compassion towards everyone is forever, no matter who you are.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 06:44:34 AM »
I think being a mother is the greatest responsibility in the world.  Imagine carrying your baby in you for months and suffering the nausea, sleepless nights, ensuring you are on the proper diet for another being depends on you to survive, to make sure he/she comes into this world with all the limbs and mind intact.

Having to endure the most painful time during delivery, you also have to ensure the baby grows up to be healthy, educated, loving, kind ..... all these do not happen within a second.  It takes a lifetime and it is said that learning is a daily affair, you learn something new everyday of your life.

We have our mothers to thank for bringing us into this world, taking care of us until we are old enough to take care of ourselves and to take care of her in return.  Having met the Dharma, we learn that every being has been our mother before, so we should treat everyone as how we would treat our very own mother.