Author Topic: the 3 VAJRAS and the 3 PLACES  (Read 7028 times)

hope rainbow

the 3 VAJRAS and the 3 PLACES
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:30:58 AM »
3 VAJRAS
In some prayers we find mention of THE 3 VAJRAS, can someone help me find our what are the 3 vajras?

3 PLACES
"[...] the three places of myself [...]"
Can someone help me understand what are the 3 places?

Is it body, speech and mind?
These are usually referred to as the 3 DOORS though...

Thank you

sonamdhargey

Re: the 3 VAJRAS and the 3 PLACES
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »
Pabongka Rinpoche identifies the seed syllables corresponding to the Three Vajras as: a white om (enlightened body), a red ah (enlightened speech) and a blue hum (enlightened mind).

"The trinity of body, speech, and mind are known as the three gates, three receptacles or three vajras, and correspond to the western religious concept of righteous thought (mind), word (speech), and deed (body). The three vajras also correspond to the three kayas, with the aspect of body located at the crown (nirmanakaya), the aspect of speech at the throat (sambhogakaya), and the aspect of mind at the heart (dharmakaya)."[5]

Source from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Roots

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »
Pabongka Rinpoche identifies the seed syllables corresponding to the Three Vajras as: a white om (enlightened body), a red ah (enlightened speech) and a blue hum (enlightened mind).

"The trinity of body, speech, and mind are known as the three gates, three receptacles or three vajras, and correspond to the western religious concept of righteous thought (mind), word (speech), and deed (body). The three vajras also correspond to the three kayas, with the aspect of body located at the crown (nirmanakaya), the aspect of speech at the throat (sambhogakaya), and the aspect of mind at the heart (dharmakaya)."[5]

Source from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Roots

In the prayers it is mentioned "deities of the 3 vajras". I take that as the deities of the body, speech and mind ie the deities of the Guru Tree. The 3 places like SD posted are the Om (Crown of the head, white in color, representing Body), Ah (Throat, red in color, representing Speech), Hum (Heart, blue in color, representing mind).

During the purification prayers before the Vajrasattva mantra we visualize all the deities of the Guru Tree emitting the white color light from the crown, red color light from the throat and blue color light from the heart into our corresponding 3 places (crown, throat and heart). If we can't visualise all the deities at once, then we can choose any 1 deity ie Lama Tsongkhapa emitting these lights.

I look forward to any comment or corrections!

ratanasutra

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:36:03 PM »
HR, hope this help.

What do the Om, Ah, and Hung syllables represent?

Om represents the vajra of form, the union of appearance and emptiness.
Ah represents the vajra of speech, the union of sound and emptiness.
Hung represents the vajra of mind, the union of clear awareness and emptiness.

These are called "the three secrets." When there is no grasping to perceived form, this is the union of appearance and emptiness. Forms continue to appear and are seen, yet there is no grasping at their reality. When there is no grasping at perceived sounds, this is the union of sound and emptiness. Sounds continue to be heard, yet there is no grasping at their reality. If the mind neither grasps at sights nor sounds, it will naturally rest within the union of awareness and emptiness and thus will not grasp at mental arisings either.

The three vajras are contained within the vajra of the mind. Thus the Om, Ah, and Hung syllables mark the forehead, throat, and heart of all deities-—while deities appear in myriad forms, the essence of their body, speech, and mind is the same.

Source from Garchen Rinpoche  http://people.tribe.net/f7a3d649-1972-4af4-bc93-bd89e6c3c77a/photos/01e28af1-41ef-4085-bbd7-1893fee9bf8f

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
I've read in Geshe Kelsang Gyatso in "Great Treasury of Merit", that the three (principal) places, also called the 'three doors', are the body (crown chakra), speech (throat chakra), and mind (heart chakra).

Same like what Pabongka Rinpoche said, the three Vajras are a white OM (at the crown), a red AH (at the throat), and a blue HUM (at the heart). These are known as the 'three vajras' because they are the nature of the vajra body, the vajra speech, and the vajra mind of all the Buddhas.

A Buddha's body, speech, and mind are called 'vajras' because they are immortal and indestructible, completely beyond birth, ageing and death.

Dhiman

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
Are the Three Vajras here similar to the three pieces of advice given by Atisha, which is also known as the Three Vajras???

Three Vajrays
First advice: Place before you the unshakable vajra of no dissuasion.
Second advice: Place behind you the vajra of no shame.
Third advice: Keep company with the vajra of pure wisdom.

Extracted from: http://blazing-splendor.blogspot.com/2005/11/atishas-timeless-teachings.html

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
Buddhist always chant OM AH HUM. Find out what this means.  Personally I have been wondering what the 3 Vajras and 3 Places mean also the colours of white, red and blue hundred mantras mean. With reading of this I am now not so ignorant.

OM : White colour at our Head for the body.
AH  : Red colour at our throat for the speech.
HUM:Blue colour at our heart for the mind.