Author Topic: Why is China afraid of the Dalai Lama?  (Read 9399 times)

DSFriend

Why is China afraid of the Dalai Lama?
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:04:38 AM »
Came across this eye catchy title of the article. Take a read and see what you think.

Source : http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-is-china-afraid-of-the-dalai-lama/2011/07/14/gIQAd5gyEI_story.html

“If China overnight adopted a democratic system, I might have some reservations..?.?. If central authority collapsed, there could be a chaotic situation, and that’s in no one’s interest.”

The words of caution might have come from a Communist Party leader, once again lecturing the West not to push too hard on human rights. But, no; this was the party’s nemesis, the Dalai Lama, the exiled leader of Tibet, explaining in an interview Thursday why he favors “gradual change.”

Listening to his moderate, sensible advocacy of step-by-step democratization, it was impossible not to marvel at the fear that leads Beijing to view this 76-year-old Buddhist leader as such a mortal threat — not to mention the confusion he seems to cause within the Obama administration, which once again was declining to answer the seemingly simple question of whether the president and the Dalai Lama would meet during the Dalai Lama’s 10-day visit to Washington.

We talked in a room in the bowels of Verizon Center. Above us, thousands of Buddhists from around the world were making their way into the stands for a religious teaching. But before the day’s lesson would begin, their spiritual leader, alternately serious and jolly, had some political thoughts to impart.

He chortled as he pointed to Lobsang Sangay, 43, the former Harvard Law School researcher who was recently elected prime minister by Tibetans in exile. “This young man,” the Dalai Lama said gleefully, “he took my power.”

Unlike the Dalai Lama in his monk’s robes, the prime minister-elect was dressed in a politician’s sober dark suit, a symbol of the serious point beneath the Dalai Lama’s ribbing: After four centuries, Tibet has separated spiritual from political authority. The Tibetan government is democratizing. The Chinese Communist Party, the Dalai Lama is too polite to say explicitly, might do well to follow suit.

Born in 1935, and having fled Communist China in 1959, the Dalai Lama takes a long view. Initially, he said, he believed that the Communists, who took power in 1949, had principles — that they were “dedicated to the people.” But Mao Zedong’s emphasis on ideology proved “unrealistic” — a tactful understatement of policies that led to the starvation of tens of millions — and Mao’s successor, Deng Xiaoping, realized that China had to embrace capitalism and allow people to improve their living standards.

So today’s China, he continued, is entirely different from Mao’s. The economy is thriving and connected with the world. Thousands of Chinese have studied abroad.

But capitalism without an independent judiciary or a free press, the Dalai Lama said, brings a “very bad side effect: corruption.” And rising power without transparency breeds fear and suspicion among China’s neighbors.

“They always say, ‘We have no intention to expand,’?” he said. “I tell my Chinese friends, if everything is transparent and policy is open, there is no need to keep saying that. And if everything is a state secret, then you can 1,000 times deny such intentions, and still no one will believe you.”

The upshot: The United States and other free countries were right to open trade with China and help bring it into the mainstream of global commerce. “Now the free world has a responsibility to bring China into the mainstream of world democracy.”

But, he said, it makes sense to start by urging gradual progress: legal reform, and an end to internal censorship.

You might think President Obama would be interested in discussing these matters with his fellow Nobel peace laureate (the Dalai Lama was awarded his in 1989), but it’s not so simple. Obama declined to meet with him in October 2009, then welcomed him to the White House four months later; this week, administration officials have declined to say whether another meeting will take place. The absence of clarity only encourages Beijing’s bullying and discourages other world leaders from engaging with the Tibetan leader.

Meanwhile, a half-century of exile has not tempered his optimism. Noting that even Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao has talked about the need for political reform, the Dalai Lama said that intellectuals and party members understand the contradictions in the current state of affairs. “Things will change,” he said.

Big Uncle

Re: Why is China afraid of the Dalai Lama?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »
Erm, I am sorry but with all due respect to the Dalai Lama, what can the TGIE do with an efficient prime minister? At the end of the day, Tibet is ...and has been a part of China for the last 3-4 decades. For anyone to wrestle control of Tibet back from China, it would take a massive and powerful army or nation to do that. The Chinese are very protective of their provinces and states due in part to national pride and abundant natural resources. So with so much at stake, the Chinese wouldn't just let Tibet go so easily and without a fight. With China's might, I don't think there's anything for China to fear. Even with the world's most powerful nation, America is seen to be increasingly differing towards China because of the widening trade deficit between America and China. So why would China be afraid of the Dalai Lama?

Barzin

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »
China is afraid of thr Dalai Lama?  Why?

China has becoming increasingly powerful with their nation and resources.  Even strong independant countries like the states and Japan have established connections with China due to its growing trading and resources.  So how would Dalai Lama fit into the picture, a spiritual leader?  What would His Holiness do to China I wonder...

dsiluvu

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
From the article from Washigton Post... I think it is trying to make the world think that China is afraid of the Dalai Lama. Perhaps this may be true because otherwise why are they so hard on not allowing leaders of different nations meet with Him? This is questionable.

One thing I picked up from the article is that China is probably afraid that the Dalai Lama's charisma may influence the leaders to push China toward real democracy and transparency. This is something the world could put pressure in and demand. Not so much war... it is all about the money, economics these days. I guess anything that could spoil their plan in gaining power is something they would want to out a stop to. Funny to think a simple monk like the Dalai Lama could make them fuss so much. This is looking at it the other side of the coin.

China knows that as long as the Dalai Lama is still alive, He will definitely have something to say and since he is a media darling as well... there is no stopping the press going wild and people in China... well the rich are getting rich but are the poor getting better? Fairly treated, what do we really know?

I believe the Dalai Lama has turned the tables around by allowing democracy to happened and getting a Tibetan in suit to represents has probably many folds of benefit that we have yet to discover. I think before HHDL passes away...there will surely be a big rock up in politics.

thaimonk

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 08:22:20 AM »
China's 'fear' of Dalai Lama is minimal next to none.

Since the Dalai Lama's self exile from Tibet (China) 50 years ago, he has made Tibetan Buddhism grow in the world, but for Tibet's freedom and independence, nothing.

The Dalai Lama has no armies, no vast reserve of money, no recognizable product that the world wants (watches, cars, etc), has produced no world figures (Doctors, actors, scientists, or ppl of influence), and is backed up by Democratic govts from a safe distance. Meeting Obama and world leaders does nothing for Tibet, nor does it ultimately hurt China.

This Washington post and it's headlines are just products of the American people's psyche of fear toward some other nation taking world dominance in this century. Their fears are expressed through the Dalai Lama. What does the Dalai Lama and America have in common? Nothing? What does China and US have in common? Everything. Trade, commerce, business, population, armies, and so on.

The Washington Post is just 'screaming' American fears and perhaps sometimes their ignorance. No one can stay on top forever for better or worse.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
China on a whole operates like a dragon: very spiteful towards their enemies and very benevolent towards their vassals. As HHDL has tried to seperate Tibet before, she grows very vary and hateful towards HHDL.

China really needs to transform or else it will lose out with the rest of the word when it comes to relations with other countries. Acting paranoid does not bring benefit.

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
China on a whole operates like a dragon: very spiteful towards their enemies and very benevolent towards their vassals. As HHDL has tried to seperate Tibet before, she grows very vary and hateful towards HHDL.

China really needs to transform or else it will lose out with the rest of the word when it comes to relations with other countries. Acting paranoid does not bring benefit.

Ensapa,

I don't agree with you. China is not hateful towards the HHDL, it just views him as a separatist, meaning a leader who encourages pro-independence of Tibet. You must understand that China views Tibet as part of China. That is at odds with China who does not tolerate dissension or anyone who preaches independence of any provinces of China as that will destabilize the country.

Due to Chinese economic strength, she is not losing out to any other country at all. In fact, China is moving up the ranks and is currently number two after bypassing Japan, whose economy shrunk due to recent natural disasters and years of economic setbacks. China does not need to transform but the rest of the world need to accept the fact that Tibet as a country is lost. Like I mentioned before, if anybody wishes to change that fact, they have to prepare to go to war with China. No country would want to do that, especially not America (the largest economy in the world today) but is in massive debt with China.

happysun

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 06:05:14 PM »
Politic and religion always be a hottest topic in public!!!!

Spy ;D

bitter >:(

Afraid or not, politician and spiritual guide always have different view between each other....so what???!!!

For all people who live in this planet, harmony is more important than anything, do you agree???

diamond girl

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »
I agree with Big Uncle and his valid points. Tibet is lost...period. And guess what? China is really afraid of nothing. Tell me anyone who does not want something to do with China. China is the land of opportunity, not even the US anymore. The US themselves are in China. At the end of it all, economics rules politics. Spirituality has minimal impact. Many wars have started with the underlying intention for economics. Very sad and I fear to see the Karmic effects.

This article on Washington Post, like what Thaimonk posted is just something to throw out there "screaming" something. I do not mean any disrespect to the HHDL and I do like what he says. However, that is about all the effect it will hold - It will just be a good read reminding people about the issues at hand and that HHDL still has spiritual weight. Eventhough people still listen, what has it done in the big picture of things. Perhaps, what is said could affect some people, but what can they do? It could even irritate the Chinese like a mosquito at the ear, but it will not make any drastic change to China and how it operates. Perhaps one day there might be some world leaders who will demand for transparency and democracy from China, have they not in some ways already? Is China more transparent?

A better questions should perhaps be - Who is not afraid of China?

Helena

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »
Headlines are meant to grab people's attention, as Diamond Girl rightly said.

By now, I should hope that we have enough intelligence to know between whats real and whats sensationalism in the news.

Everyone should be afraid of China. Because for once, an Asian dragon rises in the East. And it could even rival all the forces and powers from the West put together. It's time we all recognise that and stop belittling the possibility just because we are uncomfortable with the idea that the next super power is no longer white supremacy.

China's "estranged love affair" with the Dalai Lama is something no westerner could possibly fathom. It is the principle of the whole escaping into exile issue. To China, HHDL is probably likened to a child running away from his parents. At least, that is what China perceives. And as long as that is what they perceive, they believe they have the right to 'discipline' this 'rebellious child'. How they do it, they believe is none of anyone's business because to them, it is their 'private family affair'.

In any case, I think the USA has greater problems at home to worry about - the mounting debt woes, the high unemployment rates, etc.
Helena

WoselTenzin

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 05:55:55 AM »
China has got no reason to fear HHDL or anyone for that matter.  China with it population and natural resources is a self sustaining economy by itself  that does not really need the rest of the world but the rest of the world do need China as market for their products.  Therefore, they have no fear for any country teaming up with Dalai Lama on the independent Tibet issue because I don't think any nation would want to get into China's bad books.  So the chances of Dalai Lama regaining Tibet independence is to say the least is close to zilch. 

All nations in the world realizes the inevitability of China taking over as the No 1 economy as a matter of time.  So for those who are still screaming for Tibet independence, I would suggest that they don't waste their time as this is not going to happen at least in their life time.

China is well aware of this.  Therefore, fear of HHDL is the last thing on their mind. If they do give concessions of any sort to TGIE, it will be more of their PR effort to look better in the eyes of the world.

kris

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:10:28 AM »
I felt China is afraid of Dalai Lama is because of the bad experience they had with Fa Lun Gong. Fa Lun Gong spread so fast at that time, and the China government is afraid that Fa Lun Gong will ask the people to topple the government.

Also, HH Dalai Lama has a lot of western support which the China government worries that other countries will apply political pressure on them.

On a sie note, the China government does not even allow facebook because the flow of information is out of control :) Even they have a facebook replica, renren.com, the freedom of information is so little.

Klein

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »
As of now, I don't think China is afraid of HHDL. Her sheer size and wealth will crumble HH's activities. It's like throwing eggs at a brick wall. I can understand that perhaps before year 1997 when Hong Kong  was to return to China, it was crucial that Tibet remains part of China. Otherwise, people would find excuses for Hong Kong to be independent. This will spill over to Taiwan's fight for independence as well.

Since HHDL was lobbying for Tibet's independence back then, it would make sense for China to be on guard on HHDL's activities. Anyways, it's history now.

kurava

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
China is not afraid of HHDL. It is just making sure that America is not using HHDL to gain military and intelligence access to China . Geographically, Tibet is like the back door of China. Therefore gaining control of Tibet by any foreign power will mean having strategic control over China.

Years ago, when Falkland Island ( a far away tiny colony of Britain) was in danger of being occupied by another nation, the Great Britain sent a whole navy half way round the world to protect its sovereignty. Well, what would you do if someone tries to get into your home through your back door ?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 06:31:32 AM »
I dont think that China is afraid of the Dalai Lama. If they were, they would have caved in to HHDL's demands of autonomy and even allow HHDL to go back to Tibet even for a visit. China is also preserving Tibetan Buddhism and Tibetan culture sans Dalai Lama and they are doing a good job at that, far better than what CTA is doing in Dharamsala. They have trained their own Panchen Lama and they have restored many temples to date as well. China is just having a facade to discourage people from supporting the Dalai Lama for consistency reasons, and not political because it would be odd for them to suddenly be warm to the Dalai Lama after so many decades of being against him.