Author Topic: Aung San Suu Kyi : Buddhism has influenced my worldview  (Read 8322 times)

Mana

Aung San Suu Kyi : Buddhism has influenced my worldview
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »
Beautiful! It says that "Despite all of the horrors she has been through, there wasn’t a trace of anger or bitterness in her (Aung San Suu Kyi)  remarks."

It reminds me of all the Tibetan high lamas/monks tortured and incarcerated by the Chinese communists, but upon their release, there is not a tinge of anger/resentment in their mind despite the hell that they went through, such is the power of the Buddha Dharma.

If the world have more leaders like Aung San Suu Kyi who is strongly influenced by the Dharma, the world will surely be very peaceful harmonious for a long long time...

Mana

By Sally Quinn, The Washington Post, Dec 1, 2011

Yangon, Myanmar -- The Council on Foreign Relations had a live video interview with Aung San Suu Kyi , the Burmese dissident who spent more than 15 years in custody. Today, she received a visit from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. During her talk with the council, Suu Kyi was open and forthright about the issues facing her country. Despite all of the horrors she has been through, there wasn’t a trace of anger or bitterness in her remarks.

I found her a truly remarkable person. I have never met anyone like her before except for Nelson Mandela, who later became president of the nation that imprisoned him.

Below is an excerpt from the event.

QUESTIONER: I’m Sally Quinn from the Washington Post, editor-in-chief of “On Faith.” And like Fred Hiatt, my colleague, I wish you would write for us. (Laughter.) This is more of a personal question. I don’t know what I expected to see from you today, maybe somebody looking very tired and worn and maybe a little embittered. And yet I see an incredibly cheerful and optimistic person before me. And given what you have been through in the last 15 or 20 years, which none of us can really imagine, what has gotten you through all of this? You have talked about how we mustn’t -- we want restorative, not punitive. And you’ve said, let’s forget the past. Is it your faith that’s gotten you through this and brought you to the point where now you can be as optimistic and as cheerful and as forward-looking as you are?

SUU KYI: Well, let me answer you bit by bit. So -- (audio break) -- and secondly, I am tired -- in fact, rather sleepy as well. But I’m glad it doesn’t show. (Laughter.)

And thirdly -- well, I’m not embittered. But I have to say that I’m not saying forget the past. We must face the past. We can’t forget it. But we don’t need to remember it with bitterness. We don’t need to remember it with anger. We need the past in order to -- we need to remember the past in order to avoid the kind of mistakes we’ve made then in the future. So we need the past in order to help us live the future better -- the present and the future better.

And you asked if it was anything to do with my faith. I suppose you mean with my religion. I suppose partly it must have something to do with that because, well, I am a believing Buddhist, so I am sure the teachings of Buddhism do affect the way I think.

But more than that, I would state that when I started out in politics, in this movement for democracy, I always started out with the idea that this should be a process that would bring greater happiness, greater harmony and greater peace to our nation. And this cannot be done if you are going to be bound by anger and by desire for revenge. So I’ve never thought that the way to go forward was through anger and bitterness, but through understanding, trying to understand the other side, and through the ability to negotiate with people who think quite differently from you and to agree to disagree if necessary -- if necessary and to somehow bring harmony out of different ways of thinking.

A Conversation with Aung San Suu Kyi (Video) Small | Large

DSFriend

Re: Aung San Suu Kyi : Buddhism has influenced my worldview
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »
Beautiful! It says that "Despite all of the horrors she has been through, there wasn’t a trace of anger or bitterness in her (Aung San Suu Kyi)  remarks."

It reminds me of all the Tibetan high lamas/monks tortured and incarcerated by the Chinese communists, but upon their release, there is not a tinge of anger/resentment in their mind despite the hell that they went through, such is the power of the Buddha Dharma.

If the world have more leaders like Aung San Suu Kyi who is strongly influenced by the Dharma, the world will surely be very peaceful harmonious for a long long time...

Mana

Beautiful post. Thanks Mana.

People ask what is Dharma? What we are reading here is the result of Dharma.

My only conclusion as to how Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and the likes don't have bitterness nor anger is because their cause is greater than themselves. They have learnt how to turn negative experiences into positive energy which is beneficial and not destructive to oneself.

Reading stories of such people only reaffirms again that it is possible for lay people to not have bitterness and anger. People have so many reasons to justify why they harbor bitterness.

A state without anger can be enjoyed by anyone, not only monks and nuns as how perhaps some may claim that monks and nuns have extraordinary attainments from their deep spiritual, exotic practices.

We can all start by just be a .."believing Buddhist" just like what Aung San Suu Kyi said. Then perhaps one day, we will be just as fortunate as the monks and nuns, to exists purely to be of benefit, rendering the three poisons powerless.

Klein

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »
And thirdly -- well, I’m not embittered. But I have to say that I’m not saying forget the past. We must face the past. We can’t forget it. But we don’t need to remember it with bitterness. We don’t need to remember it with anger.

Aung San Suu Kyi embodies the buddhist teachings of compassion. It's truly inspiring that after so many years, she doesn't have any anger and bitterness. She even teaches others what's more important than holding on to these ill feelings. Incredible!

daka

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
So I’ve never thought that the way to go forward was through anger and bitterness, but through understanding, trying to understand the other side, and through the ability to negotiate with people who think quite differently from you and to agree to disagree if necessary -- if necessary and to somehow bring harmony out of different ways of thinking.

What Aung San Suu Kyi said moves me a lot. This is the spirit of Buddhism. The way to go forward shall never be anger and bitterness, this is especially true to us DS practitioners.

Although we are basically being "kicked out" from the "main stream", We should try to understand the other side and always remind ourselves about bringing harmony and peace to the world.

If we continue doing that, the truth will reveal itself. If DS practitioners are those who always bring peace and harmony, and showing the true spirit of buddhism, then what's wrong with this practice?

Dolce Vita

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »
"But more than that, I would state that when I started out in politics, in this movement for democracy, I always started out with the idea that this should be a process that would bring greater happiness, greater harmony and greater peace to our nation."

It is because of her goal to bring better harmony, peace and happiness that Aung San Suu Kyi started out in politics. For the future of her people, she was being house-arrested, she was not allowed to see her husband and her 2 children, she didn't even get to see her husband when he passed away. Her action is truly an action of a Boddhisattva. How many of us can put down our attachment and really do something for others?

Therfore, it is important to have a clear goal in mind when we are doing our Dharma work, it will make us stronger and go further. Imagine how much difficulties and obstacles this woman has to go through but she has never given up, she has never complained, she does not show her tireness but her positivity.

fruven

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »
She is definitely an inspiration to other as a layperson who has tremendous compassion towards her enemies. There is absolutely no anger in her conduct. With tremendous energy she channel it to bring positive change not to herself but to her countrymen. Because she started with a sincere and good motivation for her goal it is merit in itself. Of course in reality she faced tremendous hardship and no freedom while pursuing her goal which compared to us our goal is usually a personal goal and very small. We gave up easily. That says how much self-cherishing we are while hers is selflessness.

dondrup

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »
Aung San Suu Kyi had truly put Dharma into practice.  She took upon herself the sufferings of many years of imprisonment and separation from her loved ones as a path.  She had relied on Dharma and Dharma was her refuge during those trying periods.  She had developed great patience and compassion for her enemies such that she has no hatred at all against them. Her sacrifice is due to her strong motivation of wanting to benefit others i.e. to bring democracy to her country.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
"It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it."

Since Burma has long been predominantly Buddhist, Aun San Suu Kyi's ability to integrate Buddhism with western democratic ideals has been crucial to her success at inspiring and motivating the Burmese people. Like Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh, she has become a modern proponent of engaged Buddhism. A shift has occurred, especially within the ranks of Buddhist monasteries in Burma, with more monks willing to become politically active. One result of this was the 2007 uprising against the government in protest of certain economic policies, which was largely led by Buddhist monks and nuns. Unfortunately, many were killed and imprisoned, and the movement has been forced to regroup.

Positive Change

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
This is indeed a truly remarkable example of compassion! Not one act or a mere moment but literally almost a lifetime of personal embattlements all stemming from a love for her country and sticking to her believe in others before herself. From the moment her father was murdered right to date, she is "fighting" for her people and she embodies and iconic symbol of peace and resilience in a very degenerate world.

I sometimes wonder if Aung San Suu Kyi is not truly a Boddhisattva of our time... alongside the likes of Mother Theresa. On a much larger scale, even in Buddha's time and even Jesus's time, some recognised them for who they truly are and others condemned if not disbelieved. After all, history does repeat itself and perhaps such beings manifest in much subtler manner because of our karma... I wonder!!??

Tammy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 05:03:44 PM »
I have not follow Ang San Suu Kyi's story closely, but I watched the movie that was about her life story thus far.. Beautiful movie and I love the way Michelle Yeoh perform, she captured the spirit of Ang San Suu Kyi.

Ans San's life is very much like those who are engaged in full time dharma work, the support from family members and society is atmost important. Ms Ang San Suu Kyi is fortunate to have a understanding (which is an understatement!!) husband..he understoodand supported her decision of not leaving her country for fear of not being able to return once she leaves. Hence she had made a calculated and yet painful decision to NOT leave her country until she was sure that she could return at will.

Down with the BAN!!!

kris

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
Aung San Suu Kyi is truly an inspiration. She has suffered so much for the country.I can only relate her to a Bodhisattva.  She reminds me of people like Gandhi and Mother Teresa. And as  mentioned by Mana, she is like the monks, whom upon release from the "prison", there is no trace of anger and hatred.

Many already knows she had strong influence from Buddhism, and it is Buddhism who helped her during the difficult times. I hope she can use the position now to spread Buddhism even farther and wider!

We definitely need more people like Aung San Suu Kyi. It is people like her who show us world peace is possible!