Author Topic: Good Work at Phelgye Ling Monastery  (Read 18356 times)

DharmaSpace

Good Work at Phelgye Ling Monastery
« on: October 14, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »

Dharma Bridge Foundation

Our work at Phelgye Ling Monastery in Nepal has finished for now, but we have much work ahead in helping this gem of a monastery. The Dharma Bridge Foundation was able to supply all of the monks with English textbooks and nice, hardcover English dictionaries. We were also working on plans to assist the local teacher so that he may provide the best education for these young monks.

After talking to the Abbot of the monastery, it was agreed that the monks would greatly benefit from having one of our teachers come back on a regular basis to assist with the education program at the monastery. The Abbot was very pleased with the work we were able to do in such a small amount of time. He wholeheartedly welcomed us to come back as soon as we are able.
— with North America Gyedenpa.

WoselTenzin

Re: Good Work at Phelgye Ling Monastery
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »
I rejoice in the good works of Dharma Bridge Foundation.  These young monks are the future of Tibetan Buddhism.  They have devoted their lives to the study and practice of Dharma full time and they will be the  ones to preserve the teachings and bring it to many people in the future. Any contribution towards educating these young monks is contribution towards the spread of Dharma for our future generation. 

Thank you for the update DharmaSpace.  It is inspiring to know that there is a Foundation such as the Dharma Bridge Foundation helping the sangha to learn English.  It will definitely help the spread of Buddhism even more in the English speaking world in the future.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
The Dharma Bridge Foundation is working on plans to sponsor English textbooks for all of the students of Serpom Monastery.

More info coming soon.

http://dharmabridge.org/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dharmabridge/

Barzin

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »
Great work!  These are the future dharma teachers in the making!  More and more dharma teachers are produced and with English language, it will benefit many people in the future.  It is wonderful to know there is such foundation set up in supporting these young students in learning English.  It is most admirable to see these young students dedicate their life to study dharma to benefit many.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:04:06 AM »
I am so glad these young monks are able to learn English. For the (sadly) linguistically challenged Dharma addicts like me who only speak English, i treasure any teacher who is able to elucidate the Dharma in English. I would love to be able to understand or speak Tibetan in order to understand the nuances of the ancient texts but for now, I am grateful to all those who teach English to the future Dharma masters. It reminds me of the missionaries of old who taught English to other countries - their cause was religion too. It's wonderful that different religions are spreading language proficiency to allow everyone to communicate better. It will also help in the spread of each individual faith.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
The Dharma Bridge is in the process of filing for 501(c)(3) status in America in order to facilitate future expansion as a non-profit organization.

Many people from all over the world have contributed to the success of the Dharma Bridge.

The idea is simple: creating a cause and effect relationship between assisting with English education in these monasteries leading to the continued flourishing of our precious lineage.

For those interested in learning more, check out the website or send an email to-
 [email protected]
http://dharmabridge.org/

kurava

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 04:00:58 AM »
How apt that this foundation is named Dharma Bridge !

By funding the English learning program,  the West  or English speaking community help these young monks to learn English who in turn will  teach the Dharma in English to their benefactors.

This is truly a bridge between the two communities where there shall be great mutual benefits cross-over to each other.

dsiluvu

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
Just wondering, if we wanted to send gifts to the monks over there, how may we do so? Does anyone know the address for Phagye Ling Monastery or  how we can get their mailing address??? I've checked the website out but there is nothing except the gmail address.

Thanks in advance

Galen

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:28:44 AM »
What is lacking today is availability of translated English Dharma books and English Dharma teachers. The initiative of Dharma Bridge in educating the young monks in Phelgye Ling Monastery is wonderful news as it will be a start of more English educated Dharma teachers for the future. And according to the abbot, the response of the English education is very encouraging and therefore would want Dharma Bridge to come back. The young monks are hungry for education and hopefully they will become Geshes of the future for our future generation.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »
The Dharma Bridge will be sending someone back to Phelgye Ling Monastery in April for a couple of months to continue to develope the English program there.
Also, two directors of the Dharma Bridge will meet with the educational coordinator to assess the current needs and see to it that a plan is in place to meet these needs.

the Dharma Bridge Foundation email address-

[email protected]

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
I am very happy for Phelgyeling Monastery in Nepal for their support they have gotten. 

It has not been easy for them since the start of the ban. I have heard directly from some of the older monks how they were treated when the ban started. Tibetans threw rocks and stones at their monastery, they were not allowed to mix with the tibetan community in Nepal and etc. Sponsors left and they had trouble paying bills. And it was worst after Dagom Rinpoche passed away. Even a lot of their monks who could not withstand these situation left the monastery and their gurus.

Sometimes i do wonder whether the Tibetans especially CTA are that smart....the tibetan community is already so small outside Tibet and they have made so much problem for themselves.

vajrastorm

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:42 AM »
Like SP, I'm glad that Phelgyeling Monastery in Nepal is having a "break" from the constant harassment by anti-Shugden officials of the Dalai Lama and also anti-Shugdenists from their own village in Tibet. The Dharma Bridge Foundation has helped a great deal in the education of the young monks of Phelgyeling, supplying them with textbooks and English dictionaries, and also plans to continue to help the local teacher so that he may provide the best education for these young monks who will be the ones to preserve the lineage teachings going forward .

Phelgyeling Monastery has stood out as a rare monastery where the monks have continued to defy all the atrocities and condemnation levelled at them for not wanting to give up the practice of Shugden. One reason why they have continued to practice Shugden is because it is a lineage practice that was handed down to them from the 5th Dalai Lama, who was the one who had given the monastery the statue of Dorje Shugden. They also see that they have not done anything to hurt the 14th Dalai Lama. Instead they have continued to offer pujas and prayers for His long life. Dorje Shugden, through the oracle, had also advised them to continue to pray for the current Dalai lama and not hurt Him in any way.The practice of Shugden is also a practice that they had received from their Gurus and hence they would continue with it.     

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
Found this website for Phelgye Ling Monastery in Nepal.

Very interesting history, as well as a recent picture of the famous Dorje Shugden statue created by the 5th Dalai Lama!!

http://nyanangphelgyeling.org/

DharmaDefender

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
Even a lot of their monks who could not withstand these situation left the monastery and their gurus.

All smarminess aside, thought you were supposed to hold on to your vows even at the cost of your life. Sad that the current situation has driven them to such lengths...I mean, even after escaping the hardships of Tibet, youve to put up with this kind of "freedom" in Nepal? Is it REALLY that much freer than the situation in China? And for the people who have driven them to that point, I hope they enjoy the karma they reap from causing monks to abandon their gurus or disrobe. No wonder as the Kaliyuga age progresses, and the destruction comes from within (within the sangha, and within every single one of us), were seeing fewer and fewer attained practitioners.

dsiluvu

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
Well here is some rejoicing wonderful news that despite all that has happened... Dharma still flourishes...

The Rainy Season Retreat (Skt. vassa; Tib. yarney) will begin tomorrow!
Historically this is a time when monks would take shelter from the heavy rains. Because this is the season when so many tiny creatures come to life, travel would cease so that these tiny animals wouldn’t be harmed needlessly.

At Phelgye Ling Monastery, Yarney will begin on the first full moon of the sixth month according to the lunar calendar and lasts until the new moon in the seventh month. This year yarney will begin on August 2nd and end on September 16th. Yarney is a time when monks and nuns are not allowed to leave their monasteries except with permission from the abbot or disciplinarian. Yarney gives the monks more time to concentrate on their studies and spiritual practices.

As we speak the monks there are focusing on their studies...
http://nyanangphelgyeling.org/news/