Author Topic: Monk from Ladakh commits suicide near Nechung monastery  (Read 4897 times)

Ringo Starr

• Email
Monk from Ladakh commits suicide near Nechung monastery
« on: November 27, 2016, 04:17:39 PM »
Monk from Ladakh commits suicide near Nechung monastery

November 16, 2016 4:53 pm · 0 ????????????????????: 311
By Lobsang Tenchoe

DHARAMSALA, Nov 16: A 42-year-old monk has committed suicide by hanging himself in the woods near Nechung Monastery.

“The monk identified as Dhondup Sonam from Stok monastery in Ladakh’s Leh district came to Dharamsala to receive treatment as he was suffering from tuberculosis and diabetes. He was residing at Nechung monastery’s guest house but has been missing for the last two days,” Dawa Rinchen, the Tibetan Settlement Officer of Dharamsala told Tibet Express.

His students found his body hanged in the woods near Nechung monastery around 3 pm today.

The reason for his suicide remains unknown as no suicide notes were recovered.

At the time of the reporting, the local police have taken charge of the monk’s body for further investigation.

Source:
http://tibetexpress.net/monk-from-ladakh-commits-suicide-near-nechung-monastery/

grandmapele

Re: Monk from Ladakh commits suicide near Nechung monastery
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 04:37:51 PM »
This is very sad indeed, What is it that can drive a monk to do such an act? Surely the karma for that cannot be good, in fact, from what I've read, this can only lead to a lower realm. I wonder what kind of karma can bring him to this and he was staying at the Nechung guesthouse at that. So, very sad that the monks at the monastery could not help in any way.

It's very disturbing to see any death, much less a suicide and a suicide of a monk at that!!!

SabS

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:53:50 PM »
Om Benza Wiki Bitana Soha!

Being a monk and a teacher of Dharma, he would have been well versed in the lower rebirth involved with suicide and yet, he hanged himself. I wonder what could be so terrible that it pushed him to such an extreme action which is against all principles of the path. Even if he had medical conditions of diabetes and tuberculosis, both of which can be treated or controlled. I have heard before the some monks even welcome sickness as to cut whatever remainder attachment they have that prevents their full concentration on their practice towards attainments. This is really baffling especially when he is staying in the rest house of Nechung Monastery. Wouldn't the blessing of Nechung Monastery had prevented any untoward from happening? Or could the the rumour be true that it is no longer Nechung but the spirit "Nyatrul" that had taken over the Oracle and thus there are no more blessings. And could it had been vengeful Nyatrul that had driven the monk to suicide? Wonder what results will the police come up with?

On a side note, it is interesting to see how the mind wanders uncontrolled with all the different theories of possibilities when the result is unknown. I would say that these speculations when uncontrolled could go off on different tangents and lead one further away from the reality of things.

pgdharma

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Tuberculosis and diabetes are not life threatening sickness and can be treated with modern and advance medicine. What drove the monk to commit suicide? No one knows and I don’t think the police can find the answer through post -mortem.  As a monk he should know the repercussion of such tragic death. It is sad that he did not disclose his problems or get some help or advice from the monks in Nechung Monastery.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 01:38:47 PM »
Sad to read of the monk who decided to take his own life by hanging himself on a tree. As he is dead, no one would knows what drove him to end his life this way. As a monk, he must have known the consequences of ending his life, but surely he would realize that dying would not solve whatever hardships he was facing. Or could it be he was murdered by someone?

James Bond

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:05:17 PM »
This is strange. Im trying to think of reasons why he would commit suicide. Of course there may be personal reasons that we may never know. Or it could even be a murder executed to look like a suicide. There are many cases of that happening in the past. There are so many possible answers.

However, using only the information from the article itself, we can assume that he was suffering too much from tuberculosis and diabetes and simply could no longer stand the pain. That is the only logical reason I can think of by just using the information given.