Author Topic: Kyabje Pabongkha Choktrul Dorje Chang  (Read 11200 times)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
Kyabje Pabongkha Choktrul Dorje Chang
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:42:23 PM »
One thing I realized a while ago is that you rarely hear people on the internet talking about Kyabje Pabongkha Choktrul Dorje Chang. He is one of our most illustrious Gurus, yet you do not hear much about his activities. He seems to be remarkably low-key! 

I find this very refreshing! Such a high Lama yet to all appearances is not concerned about making a big name for himself. I hear he is still teaching in Nepal and Tibet, and has contact with many of our lineage Lamas. I know some monks who received their Dharma names from him. :)

Very inspiring to hear about the humble nature of such high Lamas as Kyabje Yongya Rinpoche and Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.

Does anyone have any pictures to post of Je Pabongkha Choktrul Dorje Chang?

DharmaSpace

Re: Kyabje Pabongkha Choktrul Dorje Chang
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:37:37 AM »
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=426.0

This was a post that spoke about Kyabjye Pabongka deeds back in 2009, seems like he is active in parts of China. May he spread Dorje Shugden far and wide through his immaculate teachings. 

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:05:21 AM »
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=426.0

This was a post that spoke about Kyabjye Pabongka deeds back in 2009, seems like he is active in parts of China. May he spread Dorje Shugden far and wide through his immaculate teachings.

Excellent!! Thank you!

happysun

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:34:55 AM »
Oh my god!!!!I am so excited to hear this news:) Yes, Kyabje Pabongkha Choktrul Dorje Chang is a very high lama, his teaching of Lamrim had been edited into"Liberation of the Palm" now be using by many Buddhist practitioner. Even translate into different language such as Chinese.

Many people knew Buddhism philosophy through this precious Dharma book which sometime we called Buddhist's Bible. Pangkha Rinpoche is one of my favorite high lama. I read Pangkha Rinpoche's biography before, it is very interesting and educating.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:09:29 AM »
It was due to 'Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand' that I met my Teacher, Geshe Tsultrim Gyaltsen.

When I fist found the book I was completely blown away and immediately called the publisher to ask where I could find someone who could teach me more about this book. Nick Ribush of Wisdom Publications told me I was in luck, Geshe Tsultrim Gyaltsen had a Dharma Center very close to where I was living at the time.
I called the center right away and was invited to come to meet Geshe-la and visit the next day.  :)

How fortunate I was to have found this book at that time. Before reading that book I had been practicing a bit of Zen, which was nice but I needed more answers. Zen seemed too anti-intellectual and never really explained what the final goal was. When I read Liberation...all of that changed. I knew that I had finally found something that would provide all of the answers as long as I studied and learned more about this text.

In many ways I feel I owe everything to Kyabje Pabongkha. Without finding that book when I did my life would be very different right now. For one, I would have never met my Teacher, Geshe Gyaltsen. That alone is enough to keep me filled with gratitude.

I am still far from knowing all of the answers, but I have never given up the realization that this text, if I continue to dig deep into the essense of it's meaning, will slowly reveal everything to me.

lightning

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:45:36 AM »
Zen seemed too anti-intellectual and never really explained what the final goal was.

Agreed on this sentence ;D

lightning

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 07:50:08 AM »
It was due to 'Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand' that I met my Teacher, Geshe Tsultrim Gyaltsen.
Same here, 'Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand' that I met my Teacher I met my teacher Jamseng Rinpoche, now Dromtug Rinpoche (Vajradhara)
Cheers, ;D
Somhow we are brought by Protectors via different means, I am grateful to the protectors for my Guru.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »
As far as I know, no high lama is concerned about making a name for himself. Making a name for oneself is one of the Eight Mundane Concerns, so a high lama and seeking a reputation is inherently a contradiction in terms. I do think that good qualities of anyone, be it a high lama or not, should be promoted so that other people will be inspired. We have CNN Heroes, for example, people who like to benefit others. I don't feel that these people are out there helping others in order to get a name for themselves. There are easier ways to get a name for ourselves should we want to!

High lamas like Geshe Tsultrim Gyeltsen could have achieved even more if their students had promoted them and their qualities. For example, Geshe Tsultrim Gyeltsen could have had more students and more people would have benefited by his incredible knowledge and attainments. Unfortunately, great masters like Geshe Tsultrim Gyeltsen who did not have the assistants who are forward thinking enough to promote him, were not able to provide maximum benefit. I feel that whether the teacher has a high profile or not is not a reflection of the greatness of the teacher but of the students.

Although i am not part NKT, I must say that the students of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso promote him very well and are fiercely loyal. See how big their organisation has grown (of course with the help of Dorje Shugden!). How many people have NKT benefited all round the world. I don't think Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is looking for name. He seems very humble.

Even the modern tulkus like Gomo Tulku and Kalu Rinpoche, who seem to be 'courting attention' through various media, it would be an idea to examine what their previous lives' works were and what they are hoping to achieve in this life. I know many people are critical about Gomo Tulku for releasing a music video but perhaps this is an unconventional way to reach a modern audience. The people who are traditional and conventional can follow the traditional masters like Lama Zopa. The people who are quirky and not attracted to traditional spirituality can follow these young Lamas. I think we should be careful not to judge the high lamas on superficial mundane levels but to at least just watch and see the results. After all, having negative thoughts about masters, even though not our gurus, is not good in general because these masters will have their own niche and their own students.

Every high lama that i have read about is very humble. Humility is part of buddhanature. If we see a high lama who does not appear to be humble, perhaps it is our own deluded view which gives us this impression.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
Same here, 'Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand' that I met my Teacher I met my teacher Jamseng Rinpoche, now Dromtug Rinpoche (Vajradhara)
Cheers, ;D
Somhow we are brought by Protectors via different means, I am grateful to the protectors for my Guru.

I feel the same.  :)
Somehow I feel I was led to finding that book, and thus my Teacher. :)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
As far as I know, no high lama is concerned about making a name for himself. Making a name for oneself is one of the Eight Mundane Concerns, so a high lama and seeking a reputation is inherently a contradiction in terms. I do think that good qualities of anyone, be it a high lama or not, should be promoted so that other people will be inspired. We have CNN Heroes, for example, people who like to benefit others. I don't feel that these people are out there helping others in order to get a name for themselves. There are easier ways to get a name for ourselves should we want to!

High lamas like Geshe Tsultrim Gyeltsen could have achieved even more if their students had promoted them and their qualities. For example, Geshe Tsultrim Gyeltsen could have had more students and more people would have benefited by his incredible knowledge and attainments. Unfortunately, great masters like Geshe Tsultrim Gyeltsen who did not have the assistants who are forward thinking enough to promote him, were not able to provide maximum benefit. I feel that whether the teacher has a high profile or not is not a reflection of the greatness of the teacher but of the students.

Although i am not part NKT, I must say that the students of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso promote him very well and are fiercely loyal. See how big their organisation has grown (of course with the help of Dorje Shugden!). How many people have NKT benefited all round the world. I don't think Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is looking for name. He seems very humble.

Even the modern tulkus like Gomo Tulku and Kalu Rinpoche, who seem to be 'courting attention' through various media, it would be an idea to examine what their previous lives' works were and what they are hoping to achieve in this life. I know many people are critical about Gomo Tulku for releasing a music video but perhaps this is an unconventional way to reach a modern audience. The people who are traditional and conventional can follow the traditional masters like Lama Zopa. The people who are quirky and not attracted to traditional spirituality can follow these young Lamas. I think we should be careful not to judge the high lamas on superficial mundane levels but to at least just watch and see the results. After all, having negative thoughts about masters, even though not our gurus, is not good in general because these masters will have their own niche and their own students.

Every high lama that i have read about is very humble. Humility is part of buddhanature. If we see a high lama who does not appear to be humble, perhaps it is our own deluded view which gives us this impression.

agreed.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »
I would also like to add that all of the Lamas I have personally met, without exception, were very humble.

I do see your distinction of students who may promote their Lama however.

Mana

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »
One thing I realized a while ago is that you rarely hear people on the internet talking about Kyabje Pabongkha Choktrul Dorje Chang. He is one of our most illustrious Gurus, yet you do not hear much about his activities. He seems to be remarkably low-key! 

I find this very refreshing! Such a high Lama yet to all appearances is not concerned about making a big name for himself. I hear he is still teaching in Nepal and Tibet, and has contact with many of our lineage Lamas. I know some monks who received their Dharma names from him. :)

Very inspiring to hear about the humble nature of such high Lamas as Kyabje Yongya Rinpoche and Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.

Does anyone have any pictures to post of Je Pabongkha Choktrul Dorje Chang?

His Eminence the current Kyabje Pabongka Dorje Chang is becoming well known in China and very well known in Tibet.

It seems he is low key because they information on him are not in English but in Tibetan and Chinese. But in the Chinese world he is well known and often on their forums he is spoken about.

1. Rinpoche travels often into to Tibet and stays at Denma Gonsa Rinpoche's Monastery. He was receiving practices and lineages from Kyabje Denma Gonsa Rinpoche  before Denma Gonsa passed away. He participates in their pujas and events openly. He often journeys to Denma Gonsa's monastery for retreats and pujas.

2. He travels to Shanghai very often and stays for months at a time as he has gathered a group of disciples there. He teaches and disseminates the Dharma there.

3. He also travels to Wu Tai San (5 peaks of Manjushri in China to teach and retreat. He has built many stautes of Tsongkapa for the 5 Temples that are there dedicated to Manjushri these few years. He is there yearly for months at a time.

4. He does not come to Serpom and India not because of humility but because there is threat to his life and welfare. Same for Kundeling Rinpoche, there are threats to his life by CTA. Just like there was threat to Trijang Rinpoche's life and Trijang Rinpoche left for Switzerland then USA. Kyabje Pabongka is without ego, but it is not humility as the reason for not being present in India or internet, it for safety purposes. But yes he is very humble, very kind and works very hard for the dharma. His incarnation is unmisaten as chosen by Trijang Rinpoche and Dorje Shugden. He was requested to be the first abbot of Serpom and he turned it down. Partly safety reasons. Because he declined for now, it was only then Serpom requested Kyabje Yongyal Rinpoche to be the abbot.

5. Part of the reason we do not publish extensive information of Pabongka Rinpoche at this time is safety reasons.

6. Kyabje Pabongka is currently as we type in China now.

High Lamas like Geshe Kelsang are doing so much work, his name is famous and he is high profile not because he wants a name for himself, but by nature of his work he is thrown into the spotlight. Geshe Kelsang's name is famous and very high profile not because he is not humble, but because he is compassionate to give up his privacy for the benefit of his students and Shugden's cause. Geshe Kelsang is also without ego and high attainments. Some lamas manifest fame and some do not depending on time, place, environment, karma and situation of the people. So whether they are humble or not is not really in the equation. High profile is not the issue, but the motivation behind it. And I cannot judge their motivation.

It is important we promote these lamas skilfully and let them be well known. It sends a message to CTA their undemocratic ban does not work and they will not win. They cannot supress Dorje Shugden lamas and practitioners. It also let's practitioners around the world know about these lamas giving them a chance to connect with them if if does not endanger their safety. Remember, CTA is capable of physical harm of these lamas.

This website has been financially supporting Kyabje Pabongka Choktrul Rinpoche since ten years back. And we are in contact with Pabongka Rinpoche when necessary.
We will continue to support both emotionally and financially toward Pabongka's activities for sure.

We at www.dorjeshugden.com wish Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche the best and will continue to serve him.

Mana
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:18:19 AM by Mana »

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 10:20:27 AM »
EXCELLENT NEWS!! AND GREAT PICTURE!!! Thank you very much!!

Mana

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
EXCELLENT NEWS!! AND GREAT PICTURE!!! Thank you very much!!

You are welcome. We are very happy to provide information for our fellow practitioners. That is part of the goal of this website.  :)
Mana

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
This topic brings to my mine that there are 2 significant places that Dorje Shugdn practice can and may already are flourishing; that is Tibet and China. Significant because Tibet was where Dorje Shugden first emerged as the uncommon protector of our time and subsequently banned by HHDL. It is where Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche gave the most famous 24 days discourse on the Lamrim.
I can imagine the HHDL's ban have much less effect in Tibet. Is DS being practiced in the original Gaden, Drepung, Sera and other Monasteries? If so then Tibet is really blessed.

Similarly, with the current incarnation of Kyabje  Pabongkha Rinpoche in China, we can rest assured that the Dharma King in propitiated widely enough there.

How strange that HHDL's ban is benefitting China so much. What is even more amazing is that the ban is benefitting Tibet the most.