Author Topic: But I'm a good person....  (Read 24519 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Re: But I'm a good person....
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »
When people tell themselves or other people that, it probably means that they want to believe that they are good people and that they don't want to go further to better themselves. Its just a lie that they want to believe to cover their insecurity most of the time. It is not easy to live life knowing that you have been the "bad" person -- everyone wants to believe they are good people, good examples and they made no mistakes but this simply isn't true..

I know because I used to do that too until I met my Lama and i realized that it was just an illusion that I should not hold on to. Because it is something that limits the mind and prevents it from expanding…I'm already good, what for i need to do more good? there is no need for me to push myself to do harder to benefit others…therefore this is a view that can stunt our spiritual and mental growth.

Nobody except for those who are ordained persons can say this because how much did they dedicate to being "good"? and if they are how come they still hurt people around them? Because they did not and they know it, that is why they say such things to hide and cover from.

As we understand the teachings more, we realize that there is no such thing as good person until we have reached enlightenment because during then we will never hurt or harm another being either consciously or unconsciously.

I also noticed that people who say "But I'm a good person" does not like to study or push themselves for the extra mile and are always afraid of Dharma teachings or to meet a Lama…if they're a good person why be afraid? hmmm…maybe they are very afraid to be exposed I guess…most people are..

negra orquida

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
People in general feel/think they are good, and we should work with them from that level and not make them feel that their level of good is not good enough. Tell me honestly, who here likes to be told they are not good enough? Yes, it is ego but we all have ego and it takes time to reach a level of no ego and focus on the bigger picture. So, in getting people to the next level of goodness to contribute more and have a bigger purpose in life, we should be compassionate and not put them down but work with them from where they are and bring them to the next level.

I totally agree with Diamond Girl.  We shouldn't feel irritated or frustrated with people who think it is "good enough" being a "good person" and minding their own business, bringing up the kids up well, hugging the spouse every day, taking out the garbage at night, leaving a tip at the counter... most of us have been brought up this way by our parents, who in turn have been brought up that way by their parents.  It is nothing wrong, it is just that they didn't know any better.  This concept of "being good" is a very very old ingrained habit. 

I think one of the best things we can do to help open up such minds to the bigger good they can DO and not just BE, is to lead by example.  This is what all the famous compassionate people did, they went on and do good everywhere and inspire others in their humble quiet way.

one such person is Pancho Ramos Stierle "If you want to be a rebel, be kind".  Anyone who wants to DO MORE GOOD should REALLY read his touching story here and get inspired (if i had the merit to be able to recognise a Boddhisatva when i saw one, he would be it) http://www.dailygood.org/view.php?sid=127

RedLantern

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 08:04:43 AM »
A good person takes care of themselves spiritually and emotionally and therefore think of others before themselves.A genuinely good person is someone who when walking down the street does not think he/she
is better than anyone else and is confident about who they are,not projecting their insecurities and what they
hate about themselves most on to others.A good person is a person who says please and thank you and means it but,are these  qualities enough to make one a good person?
The practise of Lamrim is very beneficial to open up one's mind to do more with our lives.

ratanasutra

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 02:37:45 AM »
'I'm a good person and i didn't harm anyone'  for me this statement is very subjective... for one person it could just mean i do nothing so i didn't harm anyone therefore i'm a good person but for another person it could be i hold the vows and didn't break my vows therefore i'm a good person.. or it could be i not hold vows but i only help other and i never harm people therefore i'm a good person..

i understand in this case is a first one that they do nothing and they didn't harm other therefore i'm a good person.. i believe that most of us are like that before we met buddhism and learn and understand because we are raise up in that way from our parents. But why we changed our thought and willing to do more? For some people because they understand that not to harm people is not good enough we should do thing that benefit other as much as we can.  For some people because they saw someone do it and it click to their mind and it inspire them to do the same even not really understand the benefit..

so to answer the question, there are so many things to do to change their mind either by education, talk, explanation, show sample, let them feel and experience, and how our actions, how we treat people etc and it also depend on the how open of their mind to accept it.. hence to nature someone it depend on their believe and faith and the method we use with them with each person are different due to their karma ..