Author Topic: Kyabje Pabongka Bio  (Read 14107 times)

VS

Re: Kyabje Pabongka Bio
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »
"Upon his return, when others asked about the visit he remarked: “When we were on the debate ground at Sera Mey, Kyabje Dechen Nyingpo wasn’t an expert at debate by any means. At the time I didn’t think he had learned very much. But now I understand that his way of studying and mine went in different directions. For instance, when we debated, I for my part, would apply reasons and quotations to back up my arguments, all the time focusing on the other debater. But Kyabje Pabongka, for his part, when studying, asking questions, giving answers, reciting quotations, giving reasons, everything, would focus all of these on himself, applying them to his own mind. Therefore, by using such a method, there is no way to argue with him on any of the points since he has mastered them all.”

Robert Thomas, this is beautiful and am so pleased that you shared this! What a wonderful end of the week before we hit the weekend. Humbly, I'd like to second Robert Thomas in requesting Admin to please add this to the biography section ?

It is not uncommon to hear, in many accounts of Pabongkha, that he was often known for being "dull" in his early academic life. Isn't it rather interesting (though rude!) to read in the biography that he was often used as an example of "lesser intelligence"?

Though intelligence of course, is not quite the same as wisdom and attainments, as we well know.

This reminds me too of what was said about Shantideva - how he was ridiculed for just eating, sleeping and defecating and even nicknamed "Bhusuku" (with "hu" which comes from bhukta and means "eating"; su, which comes from susta and means "sleeping"; and "ku" which comes from kuchiwa and which means just walking: bhusuku is one who just eats, sleeps, and goes out to the toilet). How he stunned them when a supposed trick of humiliating them on the throne was turned around, and he delivered the most astounding teachings.

Goes to show then, that we should never be quite so quick to judge another, even (or especially) the sangha. Aren't there countless dozens of similar stories of mahasiddhas who have appeared in the most unconventional ways to shock us or expose us, only to reveal their true attained natures later?

As my lama has always taught us, it is more beneficial to view another person as a Buddha, than to view them as not - much better on our side, for our practice of awareness and for training our minds to look for the positive aspects in someone more than the negative.

I truely agree with both Robert Thomas and Honeydakini. Never ever judge a book by its cover! Still water runs deep!

Pabongkha Rinpoche was such an erudite master that has given us the opportunity to learn and practice Lamrim. Pabongkha Rinpoche was also such a humble person that doesn't show off his 'power'. Despite being put down during Rinpoche's earlier years, Rinpoche persevered and rised up to the occassion in later years to become one of the greatest master of all times that had also given lay people a chance to learn the Lamrim.

Despite having His 'original' lineage being 'wiped off', Pabongkha Rinpoche had returned to benefit others and many to come. I pray that I will have the great merits to receive Vajrayogini practice from within the seven generations to receive Pabongka Rinpoche's blessings.   ;)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
"The evil thought of worldly concerns -- supported by the concept of permanence -- is constantly attacking us, interfering with our practice of Dharma, and preventing the actions of our daily life from becoming pure Dharma." ~Kyabje Pabongkha Dorje Chang

Big Uncle

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 04:30:51 AM »
I found this in wikipedia regarding Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche's stand on Bon religion:-

Regarding Pabongka Rinpoche's attitude toward the non-Buddhist Bön religion, he said that "The dharmas of Boenpos, tirthikas, and so forth are non-Buddhist and should not be taken as our refuge." In his famous work Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand, he calls it an "evil system", "false dharma", "not worthy of being a refuge", "plagiarized", and "invented". Although the Bon religion was originally highly hostile to Buddhists,Je Phabongkhapa never advocated intolerance towards them: "Boen is not a refuge for Buddhists; it is not worthy of being a refuge. All the same, Buddhists and Boenpos say things to each other out of attachment or hostility, and this hardly makes for honest debate. It is vital that you should know the sources of the Boen religion." To support his claim that Bon is not a fitting refuge for Buddhists, Je Phabongkhapa quoted several Buddhist scholars, including Milarepa who said, "The source of Boen is perverted Dharma. A creation of nagas and powerful elementals, it does not take one to the ultimate path."

It is really good to know this about Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche because there is a lot of people out there in other forums and traditions smearing his name and calling him all manner of foul names. Wikipedia has quite extensive info about him as well. One thing for sure about Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche, he left us with a lasting legacy... he propagated Dorje Shugden (at that time, pretty obscure deity) into a popular protector deity worshiped throughout the great monasteries and high Lamas and he advocated Vajrayogini, which is outside of the popular and recommended practices of  Guhyasamaja, Chakrasamvara and Yamantaka. He must have clairvoyance to see all of us future practitioners - lay, lazy, self-absorbed and obstacle-ridden. I take refuge in my Lama, my lineage Lama, Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche, Vajrayogini, Lama Tsongkhapa, Yamantaka, Guhyasamaja and my most efficacious Protector, Dorje Shugden!

Big Uncle
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:42:57 AM by Big Uncle »

Helena

• Email
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »
Oh wow, this is such a wonderful thread! I love reading threads like this because something meaningful and beneficial came out of it.

Starting from TK, with this bio post - it lead to Robert Thomas, enriching it with more info and now, TS & WB.

Dear TS and WB, I sincerely hope that the Tibetan Texts can be translated so that more people can read for themselves just how great this Master this.

Without Pabongka, the Gelugpa Lineage may just be lost and none of us would be even sitting here, discussing, learning and sharing.

Please do keep all of us posted on how the translation goes. Thank you all, again.
Helena

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 08:23:19 PM »
I would be happy to send you a copy of the pdf. It may take a few days though. Today is a holiday (Chokor Duchen), but tomorrow I will be very busy again.

My dear Tenzin Sungrab,

I know you're a busy bee and i don't want to hassle you, but did you manage to find the pdf of "The Lovely and Very Meaningful Song of the Pure One" yet?

x
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being