Author Topic: When Karma ripens, are you strong enough to overcome it?  (Read 14573 times)

Matibhadra

Re: When Karma ripens, are you strong enough to overcome it?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 04:30:56 AM »
This way of thinking works for Buddhists, but I wouldn't advise telling people who don't understand karma to practice like this.

This sounds weird. Why should a wholesome way of thinking work for Buddhists only? And how could someone who does not understand karma think correctly about it? Besides, how could someone who thinks correctly about karma fail to understand it? Just because someone does not label oneself a “Buddhist”?

Not only the quoted statement is illogical, but also it lacks any Buddhist lineage. Maybe Thubten Chodron, born as a Jewess, just expressed deeply ingrained non-Buddhist, Jewish atavistic preconceptions, according to which some Jewish precepts apply exclusively to the Jew.

For instance, while Jewish teachings forbid killing, this applies only to another Jew. The Jewish Torah (roughly equivalent to the Christian Old Testament) is filled with examples of mass-murderings of innocent non-Jewish women and children being presented as “virtuous”.

Also, Jewish law does not allow a Jew to charge interests on a loan to another Jew, but allows a Jew to charge interests on a loan to a non-Jew. This is because Jews see themselves as intrinsically different from non-Jews, as a “chosen people” subject to special rules and precepts.

However, such preconceptions do not apply to Buddhist teachings. According to Buddhism, every single sentient being, even the most insignificant insect, partakes of the Buddha's lineage. Everyone is capable of understanding karma, and of improving their lives through such understanding, irrespectively of labeling or not oneself as a “Buddhist”.

Buddhism is all-embracing, open, non-exclusivistic. And one should be wary of mixing pure Buddhist teachings with illogical garbage, lacking any Buddhist lineage.

MoMo

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »

Not only the quoted statement is illogical, but also it lacks any Buddhist lineage. Maybe Thubten Chodron, born as a Jewess, just expressed deeply ingrained non-Buddhist, Jewish atavistic preconceptions, according to which some Jewish precepts apply exclusively to the Jew.

Also, Jewish law does not allow a Jew to charge interests on a loan to another Jew, but allows a Jew to charge interests on a loan to a non-Jew. This is because Jews see themselves as intrinsically different from non-Jews, as a “chosen people” subject to special rules and precepts.

Err?? Scary as your comment sounded so racist!!!. ???
When Ven. Thubten Chodron’s remark could also be taken as “Buddha’s principles of speech:
[1] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.
[2] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.
[3] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.
[4] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.
[5] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.
[6] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."   
Abhaya Sutta: To Prince Abhaya (On Right Speech)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.058.than.html

On my side, I choose to view Venerable as pure and a great teacher. _/\_

Matibhadra

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 09:20:45 PM »
Err?? Scary as your comment sounded so racist!!!. ???

Where is the “racism” in logically demonstrating the inherent racism of Judaism? Please explain why do you defend such racist ideology gratuitously attacking my own comment as “racist”.

According to your logic, showing the inherent racism of South-African apartheid ideology, for instance, would sound “racist” as well, wouldn't it?

Funny enough, Israel, the Jewish state, was the only state in the whole world to support to the end the defunct South-African apartheid racist regime (which, to be fair, had to do not only with racism, but also with diamonds and gold).

Now, if you want to support the view that Judaism is not a racist ideology, please explain your reasons on a factual basis, instead of gratuitously and hysterically accusing others of “racism”.

[6] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings." 

Why then do you violate Buddha's teachings, gratuitously and aggressively labeling my comment as “racist” without any factual basis?

On my side, I choose to view Venerable as pure and a great teacher. _/\_

No surprise here. Myself, I prefer to see non-exclusivistic teachers such as Buddha Shakyamuni as pure and great.

Indeed, and as opposed to you and Thubten Chodron, I believe that Buddhist teachings can be beneficial to anyone, not only to Buddhists, which was my original point.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 05:08:46 AM »
Due to our perception and pre conceived ideas we label one thinking as such and the other as "such-such". The Dharma is all encompassing and apply to every being, Buddhist or not. Otherwise, why do one need to be a Buddhist as what follows from that would be karma does not apply to none Buddhist. Wouldn't that be great? LOL. But alas, that is not logical as we see clearly even in everyday life that karma applies to ALL.

All to calling others racist, we are again labeling and in my opinion does not necessarily mean the accuse is racist or the accuser is by logic non racist himself. In truth we have a certainly degree of "ism", whether it is about race, gender, class etc....!In other words we are not perfect and hence we cannot go around argue on these issue.

Matibhadra

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 06:38:25 AM »
Otherwise, why do one need to be a Buddhist as what follows from that would be karma does not apply to none Buddhist. Wouldn't that be great? LOL. But alas, that is not logical as we see clearly even in everyday life that karma applies to ALL.

I beg to agree. This shows how ridiculous is the non-Buddhist statement of the pseudo-Buddhist proselityzer Thubten Chodron, according to whom only Buddhists should think about karma, and that thinking about karma is harmful to non-Buddhists.

Her contrived concept is akin to the Christian Dispensationalist view, initially proposed by the Jewish proselityzer Paul, that only non-Jews need to believe in Jesus, because Jews have their own dispensation of the “divine law” (the “law” commanding mass-murdering, raping, etc.).

In a similar way, Cherry “Thubten Chodron” Green wants to limit the benefits of thinking about karma only to Buddhists, as though non-Buddhists would not be subject to the workings of karma.

Maybe, like the Jew Paul, she just subserviently wanted to reserve to her Jewish tribe the supremacy of their own supremacistic “law”, thus denying in general the power of karma, which, according to her, affects only Buddhists.

Incidentally, this might also explain why Cherry “Thubten Chodron” Green is so emphatically promoted by Jewish owned-media such as Huffington Post (which, again incidentally, is a major defamer of Dorje Shugden teachers and practitioners).

Anyway, what is clear is that asserting that karma only works in relation to Buddhists, and not to just every sentient being, Cherry Green shows her real face, which is her lack of any Buddhist lineage.