Author Topic: Hungry ghost celebration  (Read 15377 times)

bambi

Re: Hungry ghost celebration
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 05:48:09 AM »
It is really interesting to read this topic. Yes I believe that there are hungry ghosts BUT why do those people only celebrate it once a year? Why do they offer food since they are called hungry ghost? Like what Wisdom Being said, these ghosts have huge stomachs and their mouth is the size of a pin so how do they eat? These ghost are suffering in the spirit realms for a reason so its not logical for me. I have a Chinese friend who offered paper money, to whom I have asked this question "if the spirits are in hell, why do you burn them money? If its the same as human realm, why do hell even exist since its the same?". He couldn't answer... It would be great if those people can offer prayers instead and its FREE!

ratanasutra

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
I think anywhere that have chinese people, there will be the hugry ghost celebration as this is their believe which they have been followed for long time.

I found this news about ghost festival at Phuket, Thailand.

Phuket ready for ‘hungry ghost’ festival
Phuket Gazette – Saturday, September 1, 2012 10:41:00 AM

A traditional red turtle cake to feed the hungry ghosts expected to arrive in Phuket tomorrow. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

Phuket City Deputy Mayor Kawee Tansukatanon cuts a slice of turtle cake ahead of the Hungry Ghost festival starting this weekend. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: Phuket City Municipality has organized a wide range of activities for the annual Por Tor festival from September 2 to 15, including colorful street processions tomorrow and next Sunday.

Promoted internationally by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) regional office in Phuket Town, the Por Tor festival has its roots from the Chinese "Spirit" or "Hungry Ghost" festival (zhong yuan jie), one of the most important ancestor worship events on the Chinese lunar calendar.

In the version adhered to in mainland China, these ghosts are believed to be the ancestors of those who did not pay to honor them after death, or those who were never given a proper send-off to the next world. They have very thin, long necks because they have not been fed by their families, or are unable to swallow as a punishment for wicked deeds during their lifetime.

Fortunately, the ghosts attending Por Tor are a little more benign.

“The Por Tor festival has a long history and has been celebrated by many generations,” said Phuket City Deputy Mayor Kawee Tansukatanon.

“Por Tor is usually held during the ninth month, which is the month that the door to the world of the living opens for ancestors to come back and visit theirs families. But in addition to the ancestral spirits, ghosts that have no families will also come and wander about,” he explained.

One of the most important offerings are red turtle cakes: Aung Gu (small turtle) and Tua Gu (big turtle).

“In China, turtles symbolize long life and good health, since the turtle can live for a long time. Red is also the color of good fortune to the Chinese. Therefore, using a red turtle as an offering to the spirits of our ancestors, as well as to the spirits with no families, is believed to lengthen people lives,” Deputy Mayor Kawee added.

This year’s Por Tor festival events will be held from tomorrow through September 15, with big street processions on successive Sundays: September 2 and 9.

“The September 2 procession will start at 10am at Queen Sirikit Park on Thalang Road. It will pass along Thalang Road, Yaowarat Road, Phang Nga Road, Standard Chartered Bank Junction, and Rassada Road before reaching the municipal market on Ranong Road at around 12:20pm,” said Mr Kawee.

“The following Sunday, September 9, there will be another procession starting at the Saphan Hin Mining Monument at 9am. The parade route will be along Phuket Road, Kra Road, Takuatung Road and the finish at the Bang Neaw Shrine [also called the Por Tor Kong Shrine] on Phuket Road.”

Por Tor festival activities will be held at the following locations:
September 2, 3: Municipal Market 1 on Ranong Road
September 4 to 15: Bang Neaw Shrine on Phuket Road
September 5: Tai Hua Museum on Krabi Road
September 6: Takuapa Road

– Kritsada Mueanhawong
Phuket,Thailand
10:41 local time (GMT +7)

Manjushri

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 06:50:07 AM »
I didn't know of such events or ceremonies, I decided to head onto youtube to check out what the "hungry ghost festival" is. It is quite intriguing to experience and watch a totally new culture of paying respect to the spirits around.

From what I've read, it seems very prevalent in Asian countries, that this ceremony to appease the hungry ghost is very important. It could be out of superstition as well as culture traditions that people partake in these ceremonies once a year to pay respect to the spirits so that they themselves can get whatever they wish for back in return.

However, what I feel is that paying respect shouldn't only be done during a big ceremony like this once a year. As Buddhists, we are aware that spirits are all around us every moment of the day, therefore, paying respect once a year doesn't really justify, to me. Respect should be shown as frequently and consistently as possible, even in the smallest way, without asking for anything in return. It's like Mother's Day. In the entire year, you'd only show love, care and kindness to you mommy on that one day? Of course not, you show it throughout the year, right? It's just, I'd rather choose consistency.

Anyways, that's just me. Different cultures have different beliefs and traditions, thus I do respect that. Do watch some of the videos I did check out on youtube. They're pretty interesting!:

Videos:

1. This video seems like the lady has taken trance, but what of, I am not sure. Seems like a local deity to me, but I may be wrong. Isn't it dangerous to take trance of unenlightened beings for they are not omniscient and may in turn have a different motive in taking trance? Anyways, your call to judge. Very interesting video of the festival in Malaysia, do watch:
Hungry Ghost Festival Malaysia Small | Large

2. A short documentary on the festival from Singapore:
?? "Qi Yue" (7th Month) Hungry Ghost Festival | Short Documentary

3. Conclusion of Hungry Ghost Festival in Taiwan:
Taiwanese Hungry Ghost Festival Concludes Small | Large

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 05:25:07 AM »
I have always thought that the Hungry Ghost festival has become more commercialized and now not just for the spirits but more for the companies who make money off people who buy paper. The burning of paper money is said to bribe the hell guardians. It does not help the dead souls.

Also, how sure are we that our relatives are all in hell or as a hungry ghost?

I also feel sorry for the hungry ghosts. The humans put on a lovely display of foods and drinks. The hungry ghosts would either see this as pus and feces or their mouths are the size of a pinhole and can't eat them. Poor ghosts.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
This is such an interesting collection of how hungry ghost festival are celebrated thru out the world. I like the question posed by ilikeshugden on how sure we are that our dead relatives are hungry ghost and residing in hell. The Buddhists believe the only way to help our loved ones and all those who have passed on is thru dedication of merits to them. And we can do this everyday. How wonderful, we can pray for them not to remain in hell for very long but have Buddha guide them out of samsara. :)

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
I found this interesting article on hungry ghosts from the Buddhist point of view...so if they dont have the karma to receive food, how would they get the karma to receive it even when people burn food to them?

Ghosts & Buddhism                                                               

Ghosts can be found within religion and Buddhism.

Buddhism does teach the existence of ghosts through story and imagery, most specifically through what are called, "hungry ghosts." Hungry Ghosts are used as a metaphor demonstrating that ghosts do suffer through attempting to fulfill earthly desires.  It is an exercise in futility, because ghosts find themselves without physical bodies to be able to act out such lusts.  The seventh month is believed by many followers of Buddhism to be a time when ghosts and spirits come out of the lower realm and interact with people. So a Ghost Festival of sorts is honored, paying homage to ancestors through various rituals designed to ease the
suffering of ghosts and possibly aid in direction.  It is believed by Buddhists who celebrate the festival that their ancestors visit them, so it is a time to prepare elaborate meals, ceremonies and offerings to help them in their journey in the afterlife.

In Buddhism, hungry ghosts are simply suffering spirits who should be treated with compassion and not feared.  Some Buddhists believe ghosts should be led to the light through chanting and explanation of Buddhist teachings, until the golden light of Buddha is seen and can be advanced to by the ghost.

The same Buddhists also teach that ghosts canremain around people through their concern and love for them.  It is also thought that some ghosts are lost due to not understanding their own death and the existence of the afterlife.  Other ghosts are believed to remain earthbound due to self-created fear, guilt and shame - all forms of self condemnation which need to be worked through.  Ghosts may not have a concept of time and remain stuck in the year of their own passing, an illusion created by their mind.  Some Buddhists also teach ghost possession can occur when ghosts who suffer from earthly lusts and addictions seek to fulfill those desires or "highs" through another's physical body.

Buddhism and Hinduism have influenced each other, though they have fundamental differences.  Buddhism does find its roots within Hinduism, as Buddha was born into a Hindu family, but later found enlightenment which spawned new, radical teachings upon which Buddhism was founded.  Teachings concerning ghosts in Hinduism also exist.

Content copyright 2008
Angels & Ghosts, LLC
www.AngelsGhosts.com

Amitabha

• Email
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 02:35:25 AM »
It is really interesting to read this topic. Yes I believe that there are hungry ghosts BUT why do those people only celebrate it once a year? Why do they offer food since they are called hungry ghost? Like what Wisdom Being said, these ghosts have huge stomachs and their mouth is the size of a pin so how do they eat? These ghost are suffering in the spirit realms for a reason so its not logical for me. I have a Chinese friend who offered paper money, to whom I have asked this question "if the spirits are in hell, why do you burn them money? If its the same as human realm, why do hell even exist since its the same?". He couldn't answer... It would be great if those people can offer prayers instead and its FREE!
Similar to giving red packet once a year, business and sport events etc. Offering prayers to the spirit is immeasurably great but if the spirit arent in ghost realm, it don't reach them as well. However, the prayer offered benefit yourself.  8)