Author Topic: Is Apathy An Act of Evil?  (Read 14628 times)

Big Uncle

Re: Is Apathy An Act of Evil?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
Well, it all depends on the situation. I think apathy can be evil when we have witnessed a crime being committed or someone being hurt and we did nothing to help the situation. That's evil. There are so many cases of crimes these days that being committed in broad daylight and with people nearby. But nobody stops to help because people were more concerned about themselves.

That's a uncommon apathetic situation but the most common apathy is for people who are oblivious to the sufferings of animals as they chow down chunks of cooked meat. Due to advancement in farming, packaging and so forth, people just don't see that behind the pink flesh was once a living, breathing animal that is intelligent and capable of feeling fear and pain.

Jessie Fong

Re: Is Apathy An Act of Evil?
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »
Having generally described apathy as a lack of concern or interest, I would say that it is a matter of attitude of a person.  To say whether it is evil or not depends on why he was not concerned in the first place. 

Some people are not even bothered about their own appearance, going about disheveled, clothes torn and tattered and dirty, unwashed - all these due to not taking an interest in their own hygiene.  I do not call this evil as I equate evil with wicked.

Like BU pointed out, if it was a crime that had been witnessed and no one did anything to help, then it was indeed evil.