Author Topic: Chief monk receive honours in lay clothes, what do you think?  (Read 12181 times)

Reena Searl

Re: Chief monk receive honours in lay clothes, what do you think?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
‘When ordinary people praise the Buddha, they do so only on the trivial and petty grounds of mere behavior.’
The Buddha, Brahmajala Sutta, Digha Nikaya 1

Quoted from above,

The Buddha makes a strong point about how people will tend to blame or criticize based on trivial details of external behaviour, ignoring that which is of true value.
The Buddha was very clear on this, and always kept a sense of ethical perspective.
Sadly, we Buddhists have become so attached to the externals of our religion that we tend to judge and condemn someone who has spent a life in service to the dharma based on such a trivial thing.

To me, if there is nothing immoral about wearing a suit. It doesn’t harm anyone. There are real, genuine moral issues facing us every day, and as Buddhists get used to simply living as if they passed us by. But a suit!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »
I find this article somewhat sad because this shows that the people of Malaysia, and the Buddhist council of Malaysia who consists of lay people think that they can criticize monks. No doubt that the he also happens to be the nephew of the former chief monk of Malaysia and thus have certain expectations to follow, but to make a big fuss out of this as if they have authority over sangha is extremely sad indeed for 1) they do not hold the monk vows, so they do not have the right to criticize a sangha member 2) they have not renounced anything in their lives to qualify to have the right to criticize a fully ordained monk. This shows how little Dharma does the lay people of malaysia know and how insecure they are about their own Dharma practice as only insecure people see the need to police others. Any practitioner that is strong, stable and sure of their own Dharma practice will not see a need to make such statements or actions against others. It is also very obvious that they do not study much Dharma but wishes to govern others anyway. if they did they would have learnt that criticizing sangha can bring about very heavy consequences as it is the same as criticizing the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. An ordained person represents the Buddha via the robes, embodies the Dharma and is the sangha support for the disciples, so to criticize an ordained person is to deny being Buddhist.

I am just a lay person and as such I have very little knowledge of the monk’s vinaya. Nevertheless, I wish to know that by not wearing his robes, did he break any of the monk’s rules of conduct?

I was also informed that even if there was minor breach of the rules, there need to be some sort of confession between the venerable and his brother monks. How is this being handled?

people who wish to criticize do not even know if an ordained person is allowed to wear lay clothes or not, and they end up feeling shocked or horrified or whatever. If you dont know about the vinaya rules, go find out. there are books about it that can be bought from Buddhist bookstores or ordered online. If I were you i'd shutup and keep my assumptions to myself instead of posting such a stupid article on the net and cause more misunderstandings to people. Yeah so, ratana acted against your expectation and thats his only 'mistake', but i dont think it warrants a lay person to make such comments against an ordained person. After all, the ordained person holds at all times more vows than your measly 5.

And since the venerable will place the honorific “Datuk” title in his name card, will he also put the photo of him receiving the award from the Malaysian King in his office or anywhere inside the compound of the temple where he currently resides?
My question is why would you expect a monk to act only in the way that you want? If a monk is recognized by the government of a certain country fro their achievements, why is it wrong for that monk to accept this award? Why are people so hung up on this? I dont see anything wrong. Apparently, Rev Ratana is operating and running an ophranage and old folks home as well as a shelter for single mothers and the head of the malaysian government is recognizing him for that. The tone of the comment represents the jealousy of the author of that article towards Rev Ratana who received the award. If he was not jealous, would he actually say something like this? Is there even a need to say this? Since when do monks carry name cards? My word!! what an insolent person this is! Shocking how people can bad mouth sangha like this in malaysia. What a nightmarish country for Buddhism to be in!

It is things like this that make my blood boil: lay people criticizing the sangha as if they know everything.

biggyboy

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
Personally, I think that the chief monk should wear robes to receive this award as representation of sangha communities. This award is given to him in recognition of his works and all his life as a monk he has been wearing the robes, so I could not fully comprehend why he chose to wear a traditional suit to receive this honour. As a monk, his traditional suit should be his robes. But having said that, whether he is in a suit or a robe does not play a significant part as long as his motivation to spread the dharma and bring benefits to others is pure.

bambi

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »
Come on guys, who are we to say what is right or wrong for a monk to receive an award-ship in lay clothes? Isn't it the same as someone saying that HHDL is wrong for banning Dorje Shugden practice but HHDL has His reasons of which SOME of us have different opinions. Aren't they the same? Maybe Chief Sangha Nayaka of Malaysia and Singapore have bigger reasons for receiving this award as well?  :o

To whom do the Chief Sangha Nayaka of Malaysia and Singapore report his vows to? You, me or His Guru? He has His vows and He answers to the 3 Jewels and I am very sure that His motivation is pure for doing so.

Probably the government asked him to do so? Maybe its a standard protocol that the government set?  ;D

http://www.malaysianmonarchy.org.my/malaysianmonarchy/?q=en/dresscode

Dhiman

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:41 AM »
I am just a lay person and as such I have very little knowledge of the monk’s vinaya. Nevertheless, I wish to know that by not wearing his robes, did he break any of the monk’s rules of conduct?

I don't know anything about the monk vows as well but I think one of the many general Buddhist conduct is to be humble at all times and respect other religions, ethnics and cultures. My great teacher also told me before that by being a Buddhist practitioner, we must have respect towards the government and always abide the law, which is the same as respecting our guru / elders and holding our vows. Relating to this situation on Venerable receiving the title, I can only say that Venerable dons a lay suit at the ceremony out of respect for the Malaysian King.

Do you think it is ok to receive honour such as Datukship?
Personally I don't see the harm in receiving a title for the recognition of his hard work. I've read that Venerable took his monk vows when he was 17 and is very well known in Malaysia for his missionary work. Such titles can be easily abused in the secular world but since Venerable is a holy man, I'm sure he will put this title to good use in spreading the Dharma more efficiently.