Author Topic: Social activity vs Dharma activity  (Read 13972 times)

negra orquida

Re: Social activity vs Dharma activity
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »
Thank you Vajrastorm for that beautiful story.  I heard that there was this student of Lama Zopa who died from cancer, during the last months of her life she wrote a letter saying that she is so happy, she had some sort of realisation because of her impending death.  It seems that if we can truly accept death and see the potential opportunities it could bring, dying could be a joyful process with sincere Dharma practice.

Back to the original question... i came across this article about His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, where it stated that (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9265311/Dalai-Lama-thought-English-law-abiding-before-the-riots.html):

The exiled Tibetan Buddhist spiritual leader was in London to receive this year’s Templeton Prize, which promotes religious understanding, in a ceremony at St Paul’s Cathedral.  He donated most of the £1.1 million award - the world’s biggest prize in monetary terms – to Save The Children, for work preventing malnutrition among children in India, where he has lived in exile for 50 years.

Aurore

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
Dharma is the ultimate solution to one's problems and sufferings. While not everyone's due to their own karma is ready for the medicine (dharma), the very least we can do for them is to give monetary support and whichever means depending on the situation the person is in. If we are unable to help with pujas and monetary aid due to lack of funds, we can always do virtuous deeds and dedicate the merits to them.

Certains problems do require pujas and prayers to alleviate the problem such as spirit disturbance and black magic. Again, dharma and the underlying compassion and teachings of karma is the ultimate solution to these problems. However, it takes time and understanding to comprehend the teachings of the Buddha. So quick solutions which can bring immediate results would be more appropriate.

Conclusion, it all really depends on the level of the person's mind. When some people's karma has ripen, it would be difficult to help in any spiritual form and only possible with material form.

Klein

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 10:34:29 AM »
The answer can't be a sweeping statement as everyone has written. There are many factors to consider. Every case is different. Some of the things to consider are:

1. How urgent is the problem? Does it need immediate help?
2. How serious is the problem? Can it be resolved without any pujas?
3. Is the person opened to pujas?

This is where we need to be alert and decide what's best for the person in need. The decisions we make will become better through time when we learn and practise more dharma.

Aurore

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 04:59:44 AM »
The answer can't be a sweeping statement as everyone has written. There are many factors to consider. Every case is different. Some of the things to consider are:

1. How urgent is the problem? Does it need immediate help?
2. How serious is the problem? Can it be resolved without any pujas?
3. Is the person opened to pujas?

This is where we need to be alert and decide what's best for the person in need. The decisions we make will become better through time when we learn and practise more dharma.

How urgent is the problem should also be dependent on WHAT is the problem? What is the problem is also the factor that helps us decide on the best immediate solution based on the urgency (timeframe) given.

I believe that if the person is opened to pujas, then one should consider pujas. It will be like adding vitamin supplements to the the "secular" help. Hence, yes this would be my first question to the person. Adding pujas on top of other mental or physical aids, will also help to connect people closer to Dharma. I personally feel it's a good opportunity to harness someone issues and turn it into a blessing.

I think it's always good to marry the 2 types of solutions together in all cases. Again, all human problems are due to ego and the selfish mind. If we know the Buddhist methods, why not use the Buddhist methods?