Author Topic: Panchen Lama in top Chinese panel  (Read 8507 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Panchen Lama in top Chinese panel
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »
This is an interesting article, where the Dalai Lama seems to be endorsing the Chinese-endorsed Panchen Lama, even though it is with a backslap at the Chinese leaders!

“If the Dalai Lama becomes 100 per cent pro-Chinese, then Tibetans will not respect the Dalai Lama. Like what happened with the Panchen Lama [Gendun Choekyi Nyima],” the Dalai Lama said in an interview with The Hindu last year. “I think the Panchen Lama himself now knows that. Recently during these crises, he has remained very silent. He is quite wise. It looks like the Chinese Panchen Lama is more wise than the Chinese leaders”.

Personally, I do not think the Panchen Lama should assume a political position, as i believe in the separation of church and state but i do recognise that the Dalai Lama had been the temporal leader of Tibet since the time of the Fifth Dalai Lama and that he has only relatively recently stepped down from being a political leader to being a purely spiritual leader. Also, i don't think that the Panchen Lama really has a choice if the Chinese leadership wishes him to take on this role.

However, I do know that whether he wants to or not, the Panchen Lama will gain more influence if he takes up a more political role. It will not be easy for the 23-year-old to be thrust into this position as well as continue to establish himself as a spiritual leader of China, including Tibet. Tibetans in general are still devoted to the Dalai Lama and are understandably skeptical of this Panchen Lama, due to the disappearance of the Dalai Lama-endorsed Panchen Lama.

I do believe though that the young Panchen Lama will be fine if he continues to rely on Dorje Shugden to clear his obstacles. See his magnificent Dorje Shugden chapel here: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/places/magnificent-dorje-shugden-chapel-in-tashi-lunpo-monastery-tibet/

Panchen Lama in top Chinese panel
http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/world/panchen-lama-in-top-chinese-panel/article4501574.ece
ANANTH KRISHNAN

In this March 3, 2013 photo, the 11th Panchen Lama, in red clothes, and delegates leave after attending the opening session of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.

To “make greater political contributions”: state media

The Communist Party of China (CPC) has elevated the role of the 11th Panchen Lama on a top political advisory body, a move State media said would pave the way for the Chinese-appointed religious leader to “make greater political contributions”.

The Panchen Lama was chosen as member of the Standing Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), a top political advisory body that is in charge of minority issues, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported on Tuesday.

His appointment, Xinhua said, showed that he “has been entrusted with a more important role of advising China on state affairs”.

The 11th Panchen Lama, Gyaincain Norbu, was chosen as a member of the CPPCC in 2010, and has been seen by many Tibetans as a controversial figure.

The 23-year-old was chosen as the 11th reincarnation of the Panchen Lama — the second most important figure for the Gelugpa or Yellow Hat sect of Buddhism after the Dalai Lama — in place of Gendun Choekyi Nyima. Nyima was first chosen as the reincarnation with the Dalai Lama’s backing, but subsequently disappeared.

The 11th Panchen Lama has faced a tough balancing act, trying to win the support of monks in China while at the same time conveying the government’s position in public appearances.

He remained largely silent in 2011 and early 2012 amid the series of self-immolations in Tibetan areas, where more than 100 people have set themselves on fire to protest policies.

‘SAFEGUARD STABILITY’

During a visit to Lhasa’s famous Jokhang temple in July last year, he broke his silence, saying “if a person does not protect social stability, he is not fit to be called a man of religion”.

He also “urged monks to appreciate what they have now and do more to safeguard social stability” and said “Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism are in their prime time of development”, according to State media reports.

The exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama said last year the Panchen Lama’s silence reflected the difficulty he had faced in seeking the legitimacy of many Tibetans.

“If the Dalai Lama becomes 100 per cent pro-Chinese, then Tibetans will not respect the Dalai Lama. Like what happened with the Panchen Lama [Gendun Choekyi Nyima],” the Dalai Lama said in an interview with The Hindu last year. “I think the Panchen Lama himself now knows that. Recently during these crises, he has remained very silent. He is quite wise. It looks like the Chinese Panchen Lama is more wise than the Chinese leaders”.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaDefender

Re: Panchen Lama in top Chinese panel
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »
Personally, I do not think the Panchen Lama should assume a political position, as i believe in the separation of church and state but i do recognise that the Dalai Lama had been the temporal leader of Tibet since the time of the Fifth Dalai Lama and that he has only relatively recently stepped down from being a political leader to being a purely spiritual leader. Also, i don't think that the Panchen Lama really has a choice if the Chinese leadership wishes him to take on this role.

However, I do know that whether he wants to or not, the Panchen Lama will gain more influence if he takes up a more political role. It will not be easy for the 23-year-old to be thrust into this position as well as continue to establish himself as a spiritual leader of China, including Tibet. Tibetans in general are still devoted to the Dalai Lama and are understandably skeptical of this Panchen Lama, due to the disappearance of the Dalai Lama-endorsed Panchen Lama.

I dont think its fair to say the Panchen Lama hasnt got a choice. Look at what the Karmapa did - he escaped Tibet into exile. What a blow to the Chinese authorities and in doing so, he "trapped" them into having to agree with the Tibetan government who gave him refuge, since they had already spent so long singing his praises.

So I do wonder what the Panchen Lama hopes to gain out of this? And if hes acting entirely from his own accord, without influence from the Tibetan political machine?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:39:28 AM »
China is very obviously trying to groom their Panchen Lama into a replacement for the Dalai Lama for Tibet but it isnt working very well as the Panchen Lama has yet to do anything that will gain the trust of the Tibetans for him. I feel that the Panchen Lama could be a very powerful force to lead the Tibetans in Tibet, but only if he does something about it. Perhaps the time is not right for him to do so, but definitely he would do so in the near future especially if he is the real incarnation of the Panchen Lama, which I think he is because the previous Ganden Trisur and Gangchen Rinpoche has visited him and got his blessings.

hope rainbow

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »
It is very interesting, I think to reflect on what karma is needed to become a Panchen Lama "chosen by the Chinese"...

If there is no karma for such a role, then I say, the fraudulent Panchen Lama would die at a young age or would lose his charge.

If the karma is there, that is: if this Panchen Lama is genuine (even if chosen by Chinese officials), then he may be able to accomplish great things.

However. do China, do Chinese have the karma to receive the blessings from the Panchen Lama?
If they don't and if the Panchen Lama is genuine, then he will go away so that he can be more efficacious elsewhere.
If they do, then this will be like fire-works!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:13:56 AM »
It is very interesting, I think to reflect on what karma is needed to become a Panchen Lama "chosen by the Chinese"...

If there is no karma for such a role, then I say, the fraudulent Panchen Lama would die at a young age or would lose his charge.
Or that the fake Panchen Lama would not be able to take on the role and would just simply mentally collapse from the huge responsibility. Not everyone can handle the life of being a monk, moreso someone with such a huge responsibility and with such a position.

If the karma is there, that is: if this Panchen Lama is genuine (even if chosen by Chinese officials), then he may be able to accomplish great things.
The fact that he has completed his Geshe degree at such a young age shows that he is probably an indication that he is not just another political puppet propped by the Chinese government. Else why would the 102th Ganden Tripa and Gangchen Rinpoche waste their time visiting him?

However. do China, do Chinese have the karma to receive the blessings from the Panchen Lama?
If they don't and if the Panchen Lama is genuine, then he will go away so that he can be more efficacious elsewhere.
As we can see, China is evolving to be a Buddhist nation faster than we think they are. They are also putting the Panchen Lama in a very high position within the ruling hierarchy of Tibet, so it is only a matter of time before the Panchen Lama executes some plans to benefit others and make full use of his position to achieve.

If they do, then this will be like fire-works!

You have some interesting questions there, hope rainbow but there are signs appearing that the Chinese Panchen Lama is the real one so I do rejoice :)

Positive Change

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
Why is it that religion has always got to be thrown into the fray when it comes to politics? Why can't politicians leave religious autonomy alone? There is this prevelant "desire" to control the people through spiritual pressure and that is so wrong! Such form of "control" I personally feel is for the middle ages and not for these times.

In fact, the religious grip on one's "subjects" are fast losing ground... look at the Catholic Church with its turmoils... the Church has certainly lost its firm grip on the people and politicians are shying away from the Church these days...

So why the Chinese is using Buddhism as its hold on the people? I guess when it comes to the Tibetans, religion is still very much instilled in their hearts and their souls and that is the only way to "win" them over... Time will tell...

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:50 AM »
Why is it that religion has always got to be thrown into the fray when it comes to politics? Why can't politicians leave religious autonomy alone? There is this prevelant "desire" to control the people through spiritual pressure and that is so wrong! Such form of "control" I personally feel is for the middle ages and not for these times.

In fact, the religious grip on one's "subjects" are fast losing ground... look at the Catholic Church with its turmoils... the Church has certainly lost its firm grip on the people and politicians are shying away from the Church these days...

So why the Chinese is using Buddhism as its hold on the people? I guess when it comes to the Tibetans, religion is still very much instilled in their hearts and their souls and that is the only way to "win" them over... Time will tell...

China is aware that they also need to have some support for religion in Tibet as  the Tibetans are very pious people and the Tibetans see religion as an intergal part of their lives. I dont think the China plans to use the Panchen Lama as a political chesspiece to control the masses, but rather as a figurehead to fill in the void left by the absence of the Dalai Lama in Tibet so that the people dont feel left out. When China first took over Tibet, the Dalai Lama, Panchen Lama and Samding Rinpoche were in the committee as well, until the Dalai Lama wanted independence. So the Chinese are just sticking to a system that works for them.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »
China is very obviously trying to groom their Panchen Lama into a replacement for the Dalai Lama for Tibet but it isnt working very well as the Panchen Lama has yet to do anything that will gain the trust of the Tibetans for him. I feel that the Panchen Lama could be a very powerful force to lead the Tibetans in Tibet, but only if he does something about it. Perhaps the time is not right for him to do so, but definitely he would do so in the near future especially if he is the real incarnation of the Panchen Lama, which I think he is because the previous Ganden Trisur and Gangchen Rinpoche has visited him and got his blessings.

The very fact that this Panchen Lama was chosen by China as opposed to HH the Dalai Lama's selected Panchen who has since disappeared is extremely controversial for Tibetans. The majority of Tibetans, understandably, do not trust this Panchen Lama. However, the Tibetans may wish to consider a couple of things:
1. that the China-endorsed 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley, is also endorsed by HH the Dalai Lama, so maybe not all those endorsed by China are bad?
2. This Panchen Lama is acknowledged by the great HH 101st Ganden Trisur and HE Gangchen Rinpoche, so Tibetans who respect these two masters should respect their acknowledgement of the Panchen Lama also.

I think this Panchen Lama is still young but as time goes by, he will manifest to be who he really is.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:28:23 AM »

The very fact that this Panchen Lama was chosen by China as opposed to HH the Dalai Lama's selected Panchen who has since disappeared is extremely controversial for Tibetans. The majority of Tibetans, understandably, do not trust this Panchen Lama. However, the Tibetans may wish to consider a couple of things:
1. that the China-endorsed 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley, is also endorsed by HH the Dalai Lama, so maybe not all those endorsed by China are bad?
2. This Panchen Lama is acknowledged by the great HH 101st Ganden Trisur and HE Gangchen Rinpoche, so Tibetans who respect these two masters should respect their acknowledgement of the Panchen Lama also.

I think this Panchen Lama is still young but as time goes by, he will manifest to be who he really is.

To me, it is impossible for the Dalai Lama to not know that China would make his choice of the Panchen Lama to disappear, because if he did not know that then he would not have clairvoyance, would he? So the only logical conclusion is that the Dalai Lama baited China to recognize the real Panchen Lama with another emanation of the Panchen Lama. What I dont understand is that if the Tibetans really believe that the Dalai Lama is really Chenrezig, why is it that they act as if he is not clairvoyant and believe his choice of the Panchen Lama to be the real one, just because he chose it? Blind faith or lack of introspection?

WisdomBeing

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
I believe that most Tibetans think of the Dalai Lama as Chenrezig and that he is clairvoyant. However, i always wonder why they don't ask why if the Dalai Lama is Chenrezig, then didn't he KNOW that Dorje Shugden was a spirit before 1996?? Why would he write a praise to Dorje Shugden, Melody of the Unceasing Vajra, if Dorje Shugden was a spirit?? http://www.dorjeshugden.com/prayers/dorje-shugden-prayers/melody-of-the-unceasing-vajra-by-the-14th-dalai-lama/

It's completely illogical.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 04:10:48 AM »
I believe that most Tibetans think of the Dalai Lama as Chenrezig and that he is clairvoyant. However, i always wonder why they don't ask why if the Dalai Lama is Chenrezig, then didn't he KNOW that Dorje Shugden was a spirit before 1996?? Why would he write a praise to Dorje Shugden, Melody of the Unceasing Vajra, if Dorje Shugden was a spirit?? http://www.dorjeshugden.com/prayers/dorje-shugden-prayers/melody-of-the-unceasing-vajra-by-the-14th-dalai-lama/

It's completely illogical.

If they really believe that the Dalai Lama is clairvoyant and he has his own plans and he works in his own ways, then they should realize by now that his Panchen Lama is the fake one and the Chinese one is the real one, simply because the Dalai Lama should know what would happen if he recognized the Panchen Lama. If Gedun Chokyi Nyima was the real Panchen Lama, why would the Dalai Lama recognize him anyway despite knowing that he will be whisked away and made unreachable? That dosent sound clairvoyant to me at all, unless Gedun is the fake Panchen Lama and Gyaltsen Norbu is the real one and HHDL is the hand behind the strings to China which  he pulls and plays China into his hand at whim.

vajrastorm

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »
Yes, HH Dalai Lama seems to be  acknowledging the 'wisdom' of the young 11th Panchen Lama for having kept silent for a while throughout the crises. But recently Gyaltsen Norbu has spoken  on the need to safeguard  social stability.I believe that his recent statements were made to urge the stop to protests and self-immolations by the Tibetans in China. This is better than to silently aid and abet the self-immolations (which the CTA appear to have done) which have not in any way furthered the 'Free Tibet' cause. 

The fact that the Gyatsen Norbu has been recognized and endorsed by such great masters as  HH 101st Gaden Trisur and HE Gangchen Rinpoche is sufficient to remove any doubt or controversy surrounding him.

Yes, HH Dalai Lama is revered by all, including Shugden practitioners, as Chenrezig. Yes, there is no doubt that great Holy Beings(like HH Dalai Lama, HH Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche, HH Gaden Trisur and HE Gangchen Rinpoche)are all working 'hand in hand' in their enlightened ways.The big picture will unfold as the ban is lifted in the near or distant future.   

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »
Yes, HH Dalai Lama seems to be  acknowledging the 'wisdom' of the young 11th Panchen Lama for having kept silent for a while throughout the crises. But recently Gyaltsen Norbu has spoken  on the need to safeguard  social stability.I believe that his recent statements were made to urge the stop to protests and self-immolations by the Tibetans in China. This is better than to silently aid and abet the self-immolations (which the CTA appear to have done) which have not in any way furthered the 'Free Tibet' cause. 

The fact that the Gyatsen Norbu has been recognized and endorsed by such great masters as  HH 101st Gaden Trisur and HE Gangchen Rinpoche is sufficient to remove any doubt or controversy surrounding him.

Yes, HH Dalai Lama is revered by all, including Shugden practitioners, as Chenrezig. Yes, there is no doubt that great Holy Beings(like HH Dalai Lama, HH Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche, HH Gaden Trisur and HE Gangchen Rinpoche)are all working 'hand in hand' in their enlightened ways.The big picture will unfold as the ban is lifted in the near or distant future.

Another thing that stands out is that the Dalai Lama has not criticized China's Panchen Lama or say that he is a fake (although the Tibetans have) and that is a point that is worth considering and observing. So maybe, perhaps that is the real Panchen Lama although the Tibetans do not like him, but since when is popularity important for any Lama to actually do their real works? They will be able to do what they are meant to do anyway, regardless of circumstance. Perhaps, when the time is right, someone will speak up against the self immolations, perhaps from the CTA and it is then when the Panchen Lama will be able to stand up to his role.