Author Topic: Buddha tattoo anyone?  (Read 10497 times)

Q

Buddha tattoo anyone?
« on: March 18, 2013, 07:11:16 AM »
I just read this news about a man that was denied entry into Sri Lanka and was deported for having a Buddha tattoo on his arm!

I have heard of people misusing Buddha images, and even putting it on sandals, toilet cleaners etc.. but I am not too sure if it is really disrespectful to have one tattooed on your body. After all, we have pendants and even t-shirts with the Buddha image which we wear on our body, so is it really a wrong thing to have an image of the Buddha on one's body permanently?

Do share with me your thoughts. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Briton denies Buddha tattoo was 'disrespectful'

Mr Ratcliffe got the tattoo in Burma, and says it was not something he took lightly

Antony Ratcliffe, 42, from Nottingham, was turned back at Colombo's main airport on Friday for allegedly showing a lack of respect for Buddhism.

The authorities are tough on perceived insults to Buddhism - the religion of the island's majority ethnic Sinhalese.

But Mr Ratcliffe says the "inoffensive" body art was meant as a tribute.

'Officer went crazy'
The Briton, a former infection control officer for the ambulance service and a keen amateur photographer, was stopped as he tried to leave Bandaranaike International Airport during a 12-hour stop-over en route from London to Malaysia.

Despite having a valid two-day tourist visa, Mr Ratcliffe said he was frogmarched to a detention area after immigration officials spotted the Buddha's head tattoo poking out from the sleeve of his T-shirt.

"As soon as he saw it the chief officer went crazy. You could see it on his face, he looked really angry and said I would have to go back to London," Mr Ratcliffe told the BBC.

An unnamed immigration official told a local newspaper that when questioned about the tattoo, Mr Ratcliffe had spoken "very disrespectfully" about Buddhism.

But the Briton says he remained calm throughout the proceedings.

"They took my passport and held me there for an hour and a half. All the time they were bringing people in to look at my arm, and they were shaking their heads.

"I was explaining my case, pleading basically, and the chief officer just told me to 'shut up, shut up' and he refused to talk to me."

"I like the artwork in tattoos obviously and, due to my belief in Buddhist philosophy which I have followed for many years, I thought a quality tattoo of the Buddha was rather apt.

"It wasn't something I took lightly or did on the spur of the moment."

Eventually, Mr Ratcliffe was allowed to continue his journey to Kuala Lumpur, but faced further questioning when he landed.

"The whole experience has been a shock - it has been upsetting and a waste of my time. I'm not taking it further, but when I saw they had accused me of speaking disrespectfully about Buddhism, I had to put my side of the story", he said.

More than 100,000 British citizens visited Sri Lanka in 2012, accounting for 10% of the total number of tourists. The UK is also the country's second-largest trading partner after India.

Last year, three French tourists were given suspended prison sentences for taking photographs that showed them pretending to kiss a statue of Buddha at a temple.

In 2010, the American R&B star Akon was refused a visa after protests over one of his music videos, which featured scantily-clad women dancing in front of a statue of Buddha.

The UK foreign office offers the following caution for travellers to Sri Lanka: "The mistreatment of Buddhist images and artefacts is a serious offence and tourists have been convicted for this."

It also advises that travellers "don't pose for photographs by standing in front of a statue of Buddha".

Big Uncle

Re: Buddha tattoo anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
I think this is really taking it too far. It may be disrespectful for Buddhist but it may not be disrespectful for people who have no faith in the Buddha. The idea is not to penalize them based on their ignorance. Wouldn't it be better to educate people on how to show proper respect to a Buddha and since the tattoo is offensive, perhaps, it would be better for that person to be told to cover up the tattoo instead of deporting the person. I feel it is not fair as Westerners have no concept of what is respectful and disrespectful when compared to an Asian. Considering that, the Sinhalese authorities should consider informing tourists that enter the country and ways to avoid disrespecting the local population. 

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Not too sure what really happened between them whether the Briton speaks disrespectfully to the immigration officer or not but, hey what is happening to the beauty of Buddhism? As a Buddhist shouldn't we all should be practicing to be more tolerance. Shouldn't we forgive or knew someone who is not a Buddhist will treat Buddha as a form of art. Shouldn't we be grateful that person will be bless for his entire life by just looking at his tattoo everyday?

If the Sri Lankan government do consider tattooing the Buddha is being disrespectful, wouldn't it'll be better to have certain guideline to be translate into general information for all the westerner. I don't think is fair for him to be deported just like that based on different a culture and understanding.

Q

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
@Big Uncle and Rossoneri

The both of you speak with much logic. Thank you.

I must agree with the both of you regarding not penalizing a foreigner and having tolerance. It is true that many foreigners do not have the background or understand the notion of respect towards the Buddha's image due to cultural difference.

However, I still wonder if it is disrespectful to have the Buddha's image tattooed on one's body. Is it written in any sutras? Personally, I have seen people with tattoo of mantras on their arms, and they do not have any problem or offend anyone with it. If the mantra is the representation of the Buddha in words, and it is not offensive... why is it the image of the Buddha being tattooed on the body offensive and disrespectful?

bambi

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »
I agree with everything the 3 of you have mentioned.
First thing that came to my mind was, are you kidding me? So what if there is a Buddha or mantra tattoos on the body? If the country cannot accept it, they should have come up with some guidelines for tourists. How would anyone outside the country know??
Second thing was, what happened to Buddhism and why the harshness?
Third thing was, cant they just ask him or any other tourists with offensive tattoos to wear long sleeves or cover it up with something?

I have not heard of any sutras stating that its offensive to have such art on body. It'll be interesting to know.

Positive Change

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
I think this is really taking it too far. It may be disrespectful for Buddhist but it may not be disrespectful for people who have no faith in the Buddha. The idea is not to penalize them based on their ignorance. Wouldn't it be better to educate people on how to show proper respect to a Buddha and since the tattoo is offensive, perhaps, it would be better for that person to be told to cover up the tattoo instead of deporting the person. I feel it is not fair as Westerners have no concept of what is respectful and disrespectful when compared to an Asian. Considering that, the Sinhalese authorities should consider informing tourists that enter the country and ways to avoid disrespecting the local population.

Well said Big Uncle... To add, one cannot judge another's intentions or motivation behind the action. The guy probably had so much reverence for the Buddha that he would endure the pain of that tattoo that he may use himself as a canvas for a holy image. He could well have chosen skulls, dragons, naked women, etc as do many tough tattooed men have... So we have to ask ourselves why he chose a Buddha image in the first place!

Who are we to judge eh!

Tenzin K

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
To what I understand for most of the people having tattoo on the body is always to have something nice or special. It makes sense because they want it eternal and something so special and close to them. So having Buddha images as a tattoo it could be applying the same idea. I might be wrong but that’s what I can figure out. I totally agree with Big Uncle, every country or places might have their own rules & regulation. Make it clear and up front for the people especially tourist so it would not cause any disrespect to the local. In this context I would not say whose right or wrong as if we take the motivation away it’s very personalize kind of regulation.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
I believe a tattoo on any body part is a personal matter; a person can get a tattoo of any image that he wants and on any part of his body.  However if he were to get a tattoo of anything religious, I guess he should be sensitive enough not to get the image on certain parts e.g. not on the buttocks.

If any country should find it disrespectful to have Buddha tattoo-ed on a body, then it is only fair and correct that all tourists/visitors should be informed well in advance before they enter that country.

pgdharma

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
Some people may think that a tattoo of Buddha is a way of paying respect just as a statue in the home would. Unlike a statue or a painting of a Buddha, a Buddha tattoo is part of them and can rely on to be with them to take everywhere. Many people also have holy mantras tattooed on their body. So whether it is a holy image of a Buddha or mantras, it is really individual choice.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:56 PM »
i love tattoos and i've been dreaming about getting one of a female deity, but my friend told me that it is disrespectful so i have been restraining myself. i was told that the disrespect comes from it being on your body and you go and do all sorts of carnal things which the Buddhas should not really see... i don't think there will be sutras on it as they probably didn't have tattoos in those days? I was also told that aside from the disrespect, we shouldn't do tattoos cos it disrupts the 72000 channels/meridian points on our body. Anyway, I will keep ruminating on this...
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

dondrup

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 02:59:36 AM »
It is common knowledge for travelers to abide by the laws and observe the dos and don’ts of the country they are visiting.  Before travelling to that country, travelers would find out in advance these important facts.

Sri Lanka is a Buddhist country and there are practices and customs unique to its citizens.  If you are in Sri Lanka, it is considered disrespectful to have your back face the Buddha statue while taking a photograph with the Buddha statue.  You must stand sideway with your back away from the statue.  Do ask for permission before taking photographs.  If Sri Lankan Buddhists are particular about the way a person pose in front of a Buddha statue, obviously, having a Buddha face tattooed on a body is unacceptable!  Mr. Ratcliffe was not being mindful and careful for displaying his tattoo openly.

Whether or not it is offensive and disrespectful to have a tattoo of Buddha image on the body are quite subjective and different Buddhists countries and Buddhist traditions have varying views about it.  It is the motivation of the person having the tattoo of Buddha image on his body that matters.  He should use the tattoo wisely and not use it to boost his image.  Buddhism is about overcoming our ego and not about enhancing it!

Q

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
It is common knowledge for travelers to abide by the laws and observe the dos and don’ts of the country they are visiting.  Before travelling to that country, travelers would find out in advance these important facts.

Sri Lanka is a Buddhist country and there are practices and customs unique to its citizens.  If you are in Sri Lanka, it is considered disrespectful to have your back face the Buddha statue while taking a photograph with the Buddha statue.  You must stand sideway with your back away from the statue.  Do ask for permission before taking photographs.  If Sri Lankan Buddhists are particular about the way a person pose in front of a Buddha statue, obviously, having a Buddha face tattooed on a body is unacceptable!  Mr. Ratcliffe was not being mindful and careful for displaying his tattoo openly.

Whether or not it is offensive and disrespectful to have a tattoo of Buddha image on the body are quite subjective and different Buddhists countries and Buddhist traditions have varying views about it.  It is the motivation of the person having the tattoo of Buddha image on his body that matters.  He should use the tattoo wisely and not use it to boost his image.  Buddhism is about overcoming our ego and not about enhancing it!

I agree with some of the points that you've mentioned here.

It is true that the traveler is wrong due to his ignorance on the topic. However, it is also valid to question that as a foreigner that knows nothing of the Buddhist culture in Sri Lanka, is it actually a wise decision set forward by barring him from entering the country just because of a tattoo?

What happened to tolerance? Is that not a Buddhist principle as well? If one is claimed to be a country rich with Buddhist values and knowledge, the very fact that this news has gone international plants an image in the minds of others that Buddhists are not very tolerant to foreigners that are obviously ignorant to the culture and traditions of Buddhism.

Personally, I would think asking him to wear long sleeves to cover the image is a more wise approach rather than outwardly rejecting him from entering the country.

RedLantern

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
The belief by some Buddhists that tattoos are disrespectful of our beliefs is odd given that Buddha spoke of not attaching too much importance upon the body due to it's impermanent nature.
If you get a Buddha tattoo,don't expect that tattoo to bring you long term happiness,or forever stay beautiful.Just like all things of this world,it will fade and completely disappear with the death of our body.To get a tattoo to 'impress' people is purely about the ego.Seing it as something that protects you from suffering is a misguided view within the Buddhist teachings,as there is no magic in this world to help us avoid doing work to over-come suffering.There are no short cuts in Samsara.No symbol,chant,ritual or prayer will take the place diligently following stepping stones of the Dharma towards ultimate liberation from suffering.No one can work for us.No symbol has the power to help us avoid the process of personal refinement.
A tattoo is no different than any of the helpful symbols in life; they are helpful only as a guide posts pointing the way.The guide posts can't transform your suffering into the pure freedom of Nirvana.