Author Topic: Perspectives: A fishy dilemma?  (Read 4028 times)

Jessie Fong

Perspectives: A fishy dilemma?
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:45:47 AM »
I read an article on http://www.bbc.co.uk/ asking "Can three tiny drops of fish sauce create an ethical dilemma? "

It seems this lady invited her friends over for a meal. One was a vegetarian.
As the hostess started to prepare the meal, she reached for the fish sauce and paused; wondering if she should indeed add it to the meal. The sauce was a key ingredient and she thought it would be inconvenient to have to prepare a separate vegetarian dish.

She added the 3 drops of fish sauce, hoping that her friend would not find out.

Question :: was she wrong to add the fish sauce,knowing quite well that her friend is a vegetarian and would not have partaken it?

rossoneri

• Email
Re: Perspectives: A fishy dilemma?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:37:53 PM »
Yes, it is not something unavoidable since she very well knew that her friend is a vegetarian. Instead of being a honest and true, this lady chose to be lazy and selfish merely for her convinientcy. We must always be respectful to others and you do not betray your friend simply because of your selfish mind and attitude. Respect. Love. Care and Bother, these are some of the key attitude one must have if we claimed ourself as a friend to them. ANother point is that this lady will create a negative karma by doing just so. Not that the Buddhas wanted to punish this lady but it is being created due to her own doing.

bambi

Re: Perspectives: A fishy dilemma?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
Lazy, selfish and ignorant. But that is just my first thought right after I finished reading it.  :P

It really depends on that person cooking. Knowing very well that 1 of them is a vegetarian, then why invite or rather why not cook a separate dish? Why did she choose the dish that needs the fish sauce? It is definitely not ethical at all. And the funny part was, knowing that her friend will not consume it then why bother having the dilemma?

Haha... Well, these are just my thoughts. At one time, I had a dilemma too, whether to consume the meat my friend cooked tirelessly the whole day.  :P