Author Topic: Getting what you want...  (Read 20708 times)

beggar

Getting what you want...
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »
There is this common misunderstanding: People pray to dharma protectors to clear their difficulties and/or they wish for something good to come into their lives. It is mistaken to assume that just because we don't get what we want, that the dharma protectors are wrong or that they are not helping us. Sometimes, the very fact that you don't get what you want is because the dharma protector is helping you!

It could be that the thing that we wish for is harmful to us and bring us further into our delusions, problems, negative karmas - so we don't get it. Or maybe we get the complete opposite to what we wish for - that whole experience could be the actual purification we keep praying and hoping for. We "suffer" when this happens. We experience mental anguish, frustration, stress, pain or not getting the expected result. We might even suffer some kind of material or financial loss. We might fall ill from the experience. Whichever way we turn, there are problems waiting for us!

But it could also be that from going through this experience, we learn, we transform our minds, we purify the obstacles - then another more positive result arises which is what we could have wished for in the first place. Along the way, we might transform our minds, gain the qualities and strength to deal with a situation - then, instead of the obstacles just disappearing like magic, we instead gain the ability, wisdom and courage to deal with it in the most beneficial and effective way. The protector literally creates a situation for us to clear our own obstacles ourselves. 

So, be careful what you wish for - it may not come out exactly the way you hope it will but trust that it is for your ultimate benefit. The dharma protectors never harm us but it is crucial that we maintain faith and trust that whatever we wish for from the protector will manifest in a form that would be most beneficial to us for our spiritual path, even if we "don't like it."

So tell us, how have your prayers been answered?

yours, beggar

Big Uncle

Re: Getting what you want...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »
Dear Beggar,

What you mention is really intriguing and I totally agree. The Dharma Protector's role is to protect the Dharma and part of that protection is actually to strengthen us spiritually. How does a Dharma Protector strengthen our Dharma practice? Well, he does it by not completely removing all obstacles. Sometimes, he 'allows' smaller obstacles to befall us so we fall down, learn from it and grow spiritually.

Well, everything is within the safe and watchful eyes of the Dharma Protector...in this case Dorje Shugden. With his infinite wisdom, he assesses our ability to cope and he dishes out what we can take. Hence, for seasoned practitioners, Dorje Shugden actually allow smaller obstacles so he can actually protect our Dharma practice.

I believe that wholeheartedly because I have seen it happen to me and my fellow Dharma brothers and sisters. Hence, we do our practice and black teas asking for what is best for us and not just to blindly remove all obstacles. As Shantideva said, it is better to wear sandals than to sweep the whole earth. Dorje Shugden's practice helps us to do just that!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:11:16 AM by Big Uncle »

triesa

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »

Well, everything is within the safe and watchful eyes of the Dharma Protector...in this case Dorje Shugden.

In other words, pray what you want but be happy with what you get.

Initially I don't quite get this, because I am like everyone else, we all want a quick fix to our problems and obstacles. But as I think deeper, and understanding the principles of Buddhism which is totally based on KARMA ..........

Karma is created by oneself........
Karma is experienced by oneself.........
And karma is ceased in oneself.

I realised that if our protector loves us, he would like us to purify as much negative karma as possible in the ways that we can bear and cope with in this life time without being carried forward to our future lives. Like compound interests, negative karma is mutiplying everday if not purified.

So we should be grateful if problems or obstacles arise when we engage in protector practices or retrreats. We should think in a positive way that our negative karma has a chance to be pruified faster. The duress, mental or physical pain, financial losses or any sicknesses that we go through are in fact out of the kindness, compassion and skillful means of our protector.

Triesa

Helena

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 04:34:04 PM »
Well said, BU.

When we start our practice and prayers, we must stop thinking that we know best. We don't.

Why we don't because if we did, we would already be Enlightened by now.

As opposed to popular belief and want - a quick fix is never a real solution because it does not get to the heart of the matter, the root of the cause.

Hence, a cycle will repeat itself. A pattern will exist.

When we go through a purification process - meaning, we learn, we address these issues, not run away and try to escape, we actually confront and resolve them by actually going through the entire process - then we will emerge as a truly transformed person. At least, much transformed than previously.

We can un-do old habits by thinking it will go away without effort.

At this day and age, I find that although people have much conveniences at their disposal, they have become lazier. Nobody really wants to work at anything and for anything anymore. Hence, the quick fix mentality.

It is really a disease of utter laziness.

Hence, we experience the karma we have created.

After laziness is fear - because we are so into cherishing the self - anything tough, or bad that happens to us, we will cry, complain, whine and whinge.

We have zero perseverance. This is the society we are becoming - of self-cherishing sloths.

In this respect, I can totally understand how Dharma will definitely disappear in due time.

No one will care to practise anymore because it takes too much effort and they will live in fear of suffering any 'purification processes' because they do not believe in the ultimate good.

In the end, we will get what we want and we will truly regret when we get it.

Helena

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:23:22 AM »
On the other hand, I would like to stress that Dorje Shugden does not create and remove karma magically. No Buddha can do that no matter how close karmically they are with us. What Dorje Shugden does is that with his practice, he purifies karma especially with his practice of kawang/kangshak so our positive karma can come up. On the other hand, black teas are really powerful way to tap into Dorje Shugden's blessings in dire circumstances for quick assistance. In that way, Dorje Shugden is the most supreme for such things.

At the end of the day, Dorje Shugden's practice is no miracle quick fix really because whatever he bestows, we must have the karma for it and he merely brings it forward. When we get what we want, he ensures that it doesn't bring us down spiritually. Like I said earlier, Dorje Shugden's primary concern is our spiritual practice and nothing more.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 02:46:38 AM »
Further to what BU said regarding Dorje Shugden removing our karma, i also read that no Buddha can remove our karma. What Dorje Shugden does would be to delay the manifestation of our negative karma, such as if i was meant to have an accident, Dorje Shugden would delay that karma from ripening and allow me to purify that karma by purification practices so that in the end that karma may not even ripen because it has been purified. Or if the karma is very heavy, and would have normally resulted in a very severe accident with loss of limbs, by allowing me to purify it, when the accident happens, the car is smashed up but i'm physically okay.

I just think i am so darned lucky to have Dorje Shugden to look after me. I just feel so safe when I think of him.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 06:52:35 AM »
In addition to our karma, whether or not we get our wishes granted by Dorje Shugden also depends on the state of our mind and Dharma practice. If our minds and practice are unstable and we quickly get everything we wish for, there is a high chance that this superficially “good” thing because our downfall. Fast rising celebrities are good examples: they become rich and famous quickly and, with an unprepared mind, these starlets succumb to the “poisons” of their good fortune…resulting in their own eventual downfall. In more serious cases, death could result if the negative karma is reinforced as they get entrapped in the vicious cycle of non-virtuous acts like drug addiction.

As shared by Big Uncle, there are available obstacle removal practices that will help. However, I would like to humbly add that it is also very important to watch our reaction when our requested are not granted. If we accept, continue to have faith and make effort on our own to reach our goals, our reaction will cause the exhaustion of a negative karma AND the opening of a positive karma. Therefore, in not giving us what we want immediately, Dorje Shugden is giving us what we need eventually: spiritual progress towards enlightenment.

Wisdombeing, I am completely with you: I am the luckiest person to have Dorje Shugden in my life. Whenever fear arises, I think of Him and the fear reduces or go away. It would be simply wonderful to share this “lucky charm” with more people so that suffering can be reduced. Fortunately for us, available tools are easily downloadable on dorjeshugden.com!

pgdharma

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »
I agree that no Buddha can remove our karma. What Dorje shugden does is to prevent or suppress the negative karma from arising so that we can have the chance to collect more positive karma through dharma practices or activities. Even if our negative karma were to arise, the impact will be less.

As Dorje Shugden is an enlightened being he will do what is best for us and will not let what we desire  pull us down from our spiritual path. So we should be grateful that negative karma arises in small "doses" in a conducive environment instead of accumulation which eventually we will need to purge out more "garbage" in us which will cause more duress, pain and sufferings.

And I also agree with Wisdom Being, I am also one of  the luckiest person to have Dorje Shugden in my life. I know that through his compassion He will take care and never fail me and I trusted and surrender myself to him!!! We are all so lucky to have HIM in our lives.!!!

beggar

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 07:03:28 PM »
Sometimes, you DO ACTUALLY GET WHAT YOU WANT, but the process of getting there is very difficult at first. The situation arises for you to purify the obstacles which are stopping you from getting what you want. If you ride it through and purify that obstacle, then the thing you wish for comes about easily.

Now the process of purification itself must include the four opponent powers of course, for it to be truly effective. If not, and if we just keep on creating negative karma / negative situations from the obstacle, then we only create the causes for more and more obstacles to arise. Sometimes it becomes overwhelming - the obstacles might take over and practitioners may just give up or level. Then we never get beyond this process and therefore never get what we really pray for.

It's important all the time to think of how we are acting and practicing all the time. Then, if we do that, when obstacles arises or when we don't get what we want at first, we actually turn that situation into a positive one by making it a true process of purification.

kurava

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:57:29 AM »
Well said, Beggar. To have our negative karma purified, practice of the 4 opponent powers is very important. Otherwise we will just be experiencing the results of our negative actions and might even accumulate more negative karma due to our negative reactions to misfortunes.

Whenever misfortune occurs , we MUST acknowledge we created the causes for it ; we then feel strong regret for having committed such negativities that give rise to our sufferings and pains; relying on either the buddhas and/or fellow beings by practising dharma sincerely and purely we make genuine promise not to commit the negative action(s) any more.

With our Protector watching over us, we should engage in dharma practice whole heartedly. Otherwise we shall squander away our merit of meeting DS in this life.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »
With our Protector watching over us, we should engage in dharma practice whole heartedly. Otherwise we shall squander away our merit of meeting DS in this life.

This is the statement that really summed up our samsaric existence.

Karma and merits will change all the time. Before we know it, we might have squandered away all our merits and then, our karma will run out, and then what will happen to us?

Everything in life needs maintenance.

Same with merits and karma - they all need maintenance. It is an on-going consistent effort.

We cant be doing good for one month and then be bad for the next few months and expect everything will still be ok.

It is exactly like losing weight - for the lack of a better analogy.

How can we work out and eat healthy for three months and then gain the health and shape we want, and after that, just let ourselves go and just eat whatever we want. We will definitely put on the weight again and possibly gain more weight than we previously had, with the possibility of adding other health risks - depending on what we have been binging on.

Like that, the health of our karma and merits needs to be well looked after. And this requires consistent effort, commitment and time.

Only with continued effort and commitment, will we see real lasting results.

And that should be the very thing we aim for - lasting results.
Helena

beggar

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »

Like that, the health of our karma and merits needs to be well looked after. And this requires consistent effort, commitment and time.

Only with continued effort and commitment, will we see real lasting results.

Bravo and well said! Consistency is key and I am starting to understand this more and more.

The teachings talk frequently about how important it is to remain consistent. At first I didn't really understand why it was such a big deal or why it needed to be emphasised so much. I thought "But I'm already in Dharma aren't I? I'm here aren't I? I'm already being consistent, no need to remind me!"

But going back to the original topic of this question.... consistency applies very much to this topic because we need to maintain a very consistent and stable frame of mine to work through the toughest times, when we don't get what we want or expect.

How stable and consistent can we maintain our efforts when we don't get what we want? Or when our prayers to the protector seem to come out the opposite? I have seen it all too often in fellow Dharma friends that when they don't get what they want, they leave the Dharma completely. Sometimes, it is literally that their prayers are not answered; or sometimes it is something more subtle, like people not behaving or working in the way that they want.

Just a little bit of hesitation and doubt can escalate and take away all our consistency. Sometimes doubt is characterised as a thief - because it steals away all our attainments, effort, faith and devotion in just one split second of a negative thought. We don't even realise it sometimes, maybe until it is far too late.

So consistency is key - how we weather the storm, no matter how turbulent it can become inside our big old complicated heads. And consistency is tied in very much to devotion, faith, commitment, samaya. I am seeing more and more now, that it is enough to have whole hearted Guru devotion and faith because then even if you don't get what you "want", you are fulfilled in every part of your life anyway: all your wishes become fulfilled on an ultimate level and there's nothing left for "wanting".

triesa

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
Can't agree more, consistency is one of the 6 parameters. So when come to protector practice, yes the same consistency applies. Our protector will definitely grant our wishes if we have been consistent, and do not give up nomatter what tough purifications we might be going through. By going through purifications without giving up is also a very good reflection that our minds are stable, and that we are committed in our practice.

The why wouldn't a Dharma protector grant our little wishes if we are consistent and committed?

DSFriend

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 04:11:30 AM »
One of Dharma Protector's role is to create the conducive conditions for our practice until we achieve enlightenment. Conducive conditions does not mean a cushioned journey as many of the practitioners here in this forum may concur.

Leave behind our own projections of what is "perfect", what is conducive. Our minds arises from delusions, thus what do we actually know about creating the conditions suitable for our own practice. We are in the situation we are in because we do not know better. How kind our Protector and Lama is to provide us with such conditions.

With studying, we have knowledge of who our Protector is. With knowledge and understanding, faith and a firm mind must be cultivated. Then gratefulness and determination to go through the many trappings of samsara will be ever present.

beggar

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »
One of Dharma Protector's role is to create the conducive conditions for our practice until we achieve enlightenment. Conducive conditions does not mean a cushioned journey as many of the practitioners here in this forum may concur.

Leave behind our own projections of what is "perfect", what is conducive. Our minds arises from delusions, thus what do we actually know about creating the conditions suitable for our own practice. We are in the situation we are in because we do not know better. How kind our Protector and Lama is to provide us with such conditions.

With studying, we have knowledge of who our Protector is. With knowledge and understanding, faith and a firm mind must be cultivated. Then gratefulness and determination to go through the many trappings of samsara will be ever present.

A great insight. Too many of us think that "conducive conditions" means a nice easy happy life when actually we forget that it means "conducive conditions FOR PRACTICE". So a conducive condition for learning humility could be when you totally lose all your money, or you get demoted. A conducive condition for gaining that beautiful quality of patience could be meeting extremely difficult people. Conducive conditions for purifying your karma could manifest as a horrid illness for a while. ALL terrible scenarios, but very CONDUCIVE for growth and practice.

Like DSFriend has touched on, perspective and reliance on our Gurus, The Three Jewels and our Protectors are most important to carry us through the tide and weather the storm. If we choose to see every situation as positive, it will go a much longer way for our journey and success; if we choose to see every situation as a bad one, then we will also get the results of that: bad results (or worse, no results!)