Author Topic: China acknowledges Dalai Lama's hold in Tibet  (Read 5502 times)

Namdrol

• Email
China acknowledges Dalai Lama's hold in Tibet
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:23:52 PM »
"Chinese government statements that are directed towards non-Tibetan audiences still pretend there is widespread Tibetan support for China’s policies. However, local articles in Tibetan areas increasingly describe the Dalai Lama as having widespread influence."

The more you ban him, the more widespread he becomes, that's the case of Dalai Lama in Tibet; isn't the same thing happening fo Shugden in the whole world????

This proves that banning somthing/someone has the effect of it growing even bigger and becoming more widespread! Thank you Dalai Lama for doing this for Shugden!

Ajai Shukla / New Delhi Jul 16, 2012, 00:49 IST

As resentment against the Communist Party’s iron yoke boils over in the Tibetan-inhabited areas of China, Beijing has begun admitting that the Dalai Lama’s hold runs deep in these areas.

This is a major policy shift. Since 1959, when the Dalai Lama escaped to political asylum in India, the Communist Party has insisted that the Tibetans are a happy lot. The communist apparatchiks have passed off growing public protests, like the 40 self-immolations by Tibetans in the last four years, as the work of a few malcontents, instigated from “foreign countries” by the “Dalai Clique”.

But, with the Communist Party’s 18th Party Congress looming, denial is no longer an option. Acknowledging the Dalai Lama’s widespread popularity, party bosses in Tibet have slapped harsh restrictions on news, media and communications, ordering that the views of the exiled leaders views must be blocked from reaching Tibetans, particularly those living in rural Tibet.

A fortnight ago, the Communist Party Secretary of the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR), Chen Quanguo, urged officials to “make sure that the Central Party’s voices and images can be heard across 120 thousand square kilometres (of Tibet),” and that “no voices and images of enemy forces and Dalai clique can be heard and seen.” This call was published in an interview in the Communist Party’s official newspaper, Renming Wang on June 27.

Tibetans face tightened controls on internet use, text messages, phone ownership, music publishing, and photocopying. Instead of independent news, Tibetans now get intensified political propaganda in villages, schools, and monasteries, and sharp restrictions on travel into the TAR.

Since March 12, controls have been tightened on travel from other provinces into the TAR. Additional restrictions on travel by foreigners to the TAR were introduced in May 2012 and again in early June.

An authoritative new report from Human Rights Watch traces the Communist Party’s shifting stance that acknowledges the Dalai Lama’s growing influence, especially in rural Tibet, where 85 per cent of the population lives.

Until 2008, Chinese officials in Lhasa declared that Tibetans hardly supported the Dalai Lama. In 2001 an official survey purportedly found that 86 per cent of Lhasa’s residents regarded the “Dalai as a separatist or a politician.” Wu Jilie, TAR’s deputy governor told foreign journalists, “the Dalai Lama has aroused the distrust and resolute opposition of the vast majority of people here (Reuters, August 20, 2004).

According to Human Rights Watch, TAR’s chairman said in 2007 that “the majority of Tibetan people do not want the Dalai Lama to return to the region” and that “his influence is very limited” (Xinhua, June 20, 2007).

The first signs of change date back to 2010, when TAR’s governor, Padma Thrinley (Baima Chiling in Chinese) declared, “to say that the Dalai has no influence at all in Tibet is impossible… The Dalai Lama has some influence for sure” (reported in Ifeng News, November 6, 2010). On March 12, Thrinley said, “Let’s face the reality: the Dalai Lama and his followers do try to attract young Tibetans, but what we need to do is not to compete with them … Instead, the key is to improve people’s livelihood … the popularity of the government will depend on its work” (Xinhua, March 7, 2012). He admitted to a Chinese reporter that, “right now, the Dalai is indeed competing with us for the younger generations.”

Tibetan anger is simmering not just in TAR, but in the adjoining Tibetan-inhabited areas as well. TAR is merely the western half of the Tibetan plateau, home to half of China’s Tibetan population, which is 2.9 million out of 5.7 million officially recognised ethnic Tibetans. The other 2.8 million Tibetans live on the eastern part of the Tibetan plateau, in designated Tibetan Autonomous Prefectures (TAP), and Tibetan Autonomous Counties (TAC) within the four provinces of Qinghai, Sichuan, Gansu and Yunnan.

Chinese government statements that are directed towards non-Tibetan audiences still pretend there is widespread Tibetan support for China’s policies. However, local articles in Tibetan areas increasingly describe the Dalai Lama as having widespread influence.

Since late 2011, official speeches throughout Tibetan areas have referred repeatedly to campaigns directed at “the masses” or “the foundations,” rather than primarily at monks and nuns, indicating an attempt to change the thinking of rural Tibetans on a scale not seen since the beginning of the reform era in the 1980s.

Barzin

Re: China acknowledges Dalai Lama's hold in Tibet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
One thing came to my mind, we all know that His Holiness Dalai Lama is an icon of Buddhism, a well respected teacher to many and his influence is undeniable.  On the other hand, it is amazing that China has such great influence in the today's world.  His Holiness is spreading buddhism alright but China is spreading Dorje Shugden!  Both most powerful influential directly and indirectly are spreading dharma hand in hand.  Eventhough most have guessed the bigger picture that what His Holiness grand plan is but what about the Chinese?  I wonder if as when His Holiness lift the ban eventually but since it is approved by His Holiness, will the Chinese drop the practice?  But whether the Chinese will drop the practice or not, one thing for sure by that time, many people are practicing Dorje Shugden already and it will be the very time to receive the protector of our time.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
I do feel like the situation in Tibet is reaching a boiling point as the Tibetans are getting more desparate since His Holiness is so old. Lobsang Sangay has proved to be little more than a pretty face - he hasnt enacted any policies that have turned the lives of the Tibetans around for the better, nor has he started any global waves of changes. What has Lobsang Sangay achieved on an international level? What happened to Tibets great hope? Is this the best leader the Tibetans have? Face it - no one will ever be able to match up to the Dalai Lama, and if the Dalai Lama cant get you freedom, no one can... and I think sadly, thats a fact the Tibetans are starting to quietly realise.

One thing came to my mind, we all know that His Holiness Dalai Lama is an icon of Buddhism, a well respected teacher to many and his influence is undeniable.  On the other hand, it is amazing that China has such great influence in the today's world.  His Holiness is spreading buddhism alright but China is spreading Dorje Shugden!  Both most powerful influential directly and indirectly are spreading dharma hand in hand.  Eventhough most have guessed the bigger picture that what His Holiness grand plan is but what about the Chinese?  I wonder if as when His Holiness lift the ban eventually but since it is approved by His Holiness, will the Chinese drop the practice?  But whether the Chinese will drop the practice or not, one thing for sure by that time, many people are practicing Dorje Shugden already and it will be the very time to receive the protector of our time.

I dont think theyll drop the practice. let me put it to you this way - if someone says you cant go to school to learn how to read, but you do it anyway AND you find the experience enjoyable and beneficial, will you stop going once the ban is lifted from you?

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
I do agree HH has a widespread influence in China & around the world.

I have been to China many times and have travelled to many different region. The influence of HH is still very limited I feel. It stops there but there are NOT MANY outwardly protest which are consistent against the China government to support HH. In fact, it is getting less and it is  NOT enough to make a difference in the government or the masses.

What I do noticed which is sad is that the younger generation of Tibetans in China, do not think much about Buddhism. Their parents, YES but not the newer generation. I have met the younger generation of Tibetans, they are not into protest, they do not like trouble, they are not like the West whereby if you believe in a cause, you are persistent, consistent and will die to support the cause. Whereas, for these generation of Tibetans, they want an easy life, want to make money, into the Chinese Pop Culture and etc.

One good benchmark is that the the enrollment rate into the monastery for monks and nuns in Tibet or India has lessen dramatically over the years. The culture and priorities are very different in this era. Previously, to have someone in the family to be a monk is highly honorable but now, the parents want their children to make be successful and make money.

Sad but this is the result of modernisation. Therefore, soon HH name will not hold any credit to the new generation of Tibetans.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:15:09 AM »
I do agree HH has a widespread influence in China & around the world.

I have been to China many times and have travelled to many different region. The influence of HH is still very limited I feel. It stops there but there are NOT MANY outwardly protest which are consistent against the China government to support HH. In fact, it is getting less and it is  NOT enough to make a difference in the government or the masses.

What I do noticed which is sad is that the younger generation of Tibetans in China, do not think much about Buddhism. Their parents, YES but not the newer generation. I have met the younger generation of Tibetans, they are not into protest, they do not like trouble, they are not like the West whereby if you believe in a cause, you are persistent, consistent and will die to support the cause. Whereas, for these generation of Tibetans, they want an easy life, want to make money, into the Chinese Pop Culture and etc.

One good benchmark is that the the enrollment rate into the monastery for monks and nuns in Tibet or India has lessen dramatically over the years. The culture and priorities are very different in this era. Previously, to have someone in the family to be a monk is highly honorable but now, the parents want their children to make be successful and make money.

Sad but this is the result of modernisation. Therefore, soon HH name will not hold any credit to the new generation of Tibetans.

All that will change once they have 'made it' and have enough money to entertain themselves and to survive. Then they will have a vacuum and that is where Buddhism omes in as an answer to the emptiness that they feel in their hearts. its always a trend where developed countries eventually turn back to Buddhism for answers as opposed to other religions. China itself is looking back at Buddhism for answers to their social ills, and more and more Chinese people themselves are turning to Buddhism for answers. The monasteries that was once used for generating money now spreads the Dharma far and wide.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »
Of course the Dalai Lama still has an influence in Tibet but I would not be surprised to learn that His Holiness is symbolic of and represent different ideals for the older generation Tibetans and the younger ones. To the older Tibetans, the Dalai Lama is the face and embodiment of the Tibetan culture and their religion. But to the younger Tibetans especially those born outside Tibet, His Holiness is more a symbol of resentment against Chinese rule than the emanation of Avalokiteshvara.

Be that as it may, the Dalai Lama's hold in Tibet is not something the CTA can count on as leverage against China. Time is on the Chinese government's side as the Dalai Lama ages. The difference between what His Holiness means to the older generation Tibetans compared to the younger ones is this - as a symbol of the Tibetan culture and religion, the Dalai Lama cannot be replaced and here his hold is strong. But as the face of opposition against Chinese rule, the Dalai Lama will become a diminishing figure as the Chinese government work hard to improve the livelihood and job opportunities for the younger generation. And the Chinese know that.

The longer the CTA hold out on meeting China on some of her terms, the less influence the Dalai Lama will have on the Tibetans. As it is, the Chinese are portraying the young Panchen Lama as the alternative spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism and this has met with some approval amongst the Tibetans. So what is going to keep the hold on the Tibetans once His Holiness passes into clear light which we hope is a long time away? Other than the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan government in exile have literally no hold on the Tibetan population.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 04:07:00 AM »
Of course the Dalai Lama still has an influence in Tibet but I would not be surprised to learn that His Holiness is symbolic of and represent different ideals for the older generation Tibetans and the younger ones. To the older Tibetans, the Dalai Lama is the face and embodiment of the Tibetan culture and their religion. But to the younger Tibetans especially those born outside Tibet, His Holiness is more a symbol of resentment against Chinese rule than the emanation of Avalokiteshvara.

Be that as it may, the Dalai Lama's hold in Tibet is not something the CTA can count on as leverage against China. Time is on the Chinese government's side as the Dalai Lama ages. The difference between what His Holiness means to the older generation Tibetans compared to the younger ones is this - as a symbol of the Tibetan culture and religion, the Dalai Lama cannot be replaced and here his hold is strong. But as the face of opposition against Chinese rule, the Dalai Lama will become a diminishing figure as the Chinese government work hard to improve the livelihood and job opportunities for the younger generation. And the Chinese know that.

The longer the CTA hold out on meeting China on some of her terms, the less influence the Dalai Lama will have on the Tibetans. As it is, the Chinese are portraying the young Panchen Lama as the alternative spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism and this has met with some approval amongst the Tibetans. So what is going to keep the hold on the Tibetans once His Holiness passes into clear light which we hope is a long time away? Other than the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan government in exile have literally no hold on the Tibetan population.

Pretty soon, the current generation of Tibetans will find the Dalai Lama obsolete as the Dalai Lama loses relevance in the eyes of the Tibetans. You're right that China is more or less playing a waiting game to wait for the Dalai Lama to pass on, but I also think that dialogue between the Dalai Lama and China is possible if the CTA stops deceiving the world with their poor me stories and by using the word "chinese spy" as a derogatory term. I find it funny that CTA can tell the western world that they are being discriminated when they are discriminating Dorje Shugden practitioners and harbor a lot of hate for China, and it is them who did not initiate talks but they blame it on China.