Author Topic: The Mark Of Cain  (Read 10766 times)

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
The Mark Of Cain
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:40:30 PM »
Hitler wanted to create a utopia – a world which was dominated by a “superior Aryan race” and to that end, Hitler’s Nazi Germany went about eradicating all those who didn’t fit in, those who were deemed undesirable.

Some people were deemed undesirable because of who they were i.e. the Jews were despised for their race and cultural origins, or the sick rejected for their health conditions, homosexuals for their sexual preference and Jehovah Witnesses for their religious belief. Hitler didn’t like them. One man decided he didn’t like them.

The undesirables were banished and the world and life they could access narrowed or disappeared almost over night.  They could no longer enter certain public places, restaurants, shops and cinemas. Children of the undesirables were forbidden from going to schools and slowly the hate-machinery began to be absorbed by a fragmented society which then started to expel these undesirable people by social isolation.

Jews were required to carry identity cards such as this:

For the longest time, the world stood by idly to watch this obscenity being played out. It is estimated that about 11 Million people were killed because of Hitler’s genocidal policies.

And so we taught we had learned an important lesson.

But in 2008 one man instigated a series of public swearing in Buddhist schools and universities and introduced a yellow identity card to be issued only to people who have renounced a sacred 350-year old religious practice – the practice Dorje Shugden.

Those without this yellow card could not enter certain shops, obtain visas for travel, and even enter public prayer halls. 

Like the “undesirable” people that Hitler rejected, overnight, thousands of old Tibetan monks, ordinary people, families and children were deemed “unclean” because they refused to renounce a Buddha and abandon their religious belief. And because they refuse to break vows they made to their Gurus and Lamas.

The forced segregation and persecution of the Buddha Dorje Shugden's practitioners is unfortunate and but no amount of cards and marks can eradicate the truth. As much of the world watches idly by, the Shugden practice has grown tremendously.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:38:51 PM by vajratruth »

Zach

Re: The Mark Of Cain
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »
Some are Idle others are not.  :)

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:34:18 AM »
Funny you mentioned Hitler. I heard from someone that Hitler's views was heavily influenced by early discoveries of Tibetan culture and beliefs. It was believed that he read up on the legend of Shambala and moulded his military goals towards creating a Shambala-like society. However, he deluded himself to think of the Aryans as the superior race. He even used a reversed Swastika, (a symbol used in Buddhism and the east) to represent his militia. Hence, he never thought of the Tibetans as inferior but rather as equals. I know this has got nothing to do with the meaning of your post but I just thought I post it anyway.

jeremyg

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »
It is scary that we can compare the Dogyal ban to the holocaust. Such is the extent of ridiculousness that has been associated with the ban. This is not right, especially for a nation that practices Buddhism in the ways that they do. If Hitler employed measures to enforce his views, and we now view what he did as very very wrong, what is the the Dalai Lama doing? Is the ways in which this ban is being enforced any different to the holocaust? It is quite awakening to make the comparison between the holocaust and the Dogyal ban. I really hope these cards will be eradicated, as I cannot take the suffering the Dorje Shugden practitioners must be facing. I really hope that this ban is a way of purifying their bad karma, or testing their spiritual practice, for the better. In fact the only reason I can see for a ban of such a rash nature, is for the reasons I just stated. Putting innocent practitioners through this suffering is inconceivable.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
As I had mentioned in another thread, the Tibetans are now having their very identity threatened because the Chinese government is considering removing their ethnicity from their identity cards. This would be a radical method to assimilate the Tibetans into Chinese society, an action which was ironically prompted by the actions of the Tibetans to protest for independence.

Perhaps there’s a strange sort of karma, in that since the CTA had wanted to separate Shugden practitioners from what they held so dear – their practice, it seems to have created the causes for the Tibetans to be separated from their very identity which they hold so dear.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »
Well, you can't preach for freedom and not exercise the same with your own people. You can't expect global human right groups and bodies to support you, when your own people are crying for help against you!!

How silly. It's a little like how Hitler thought the superior race to be tall, fair, blue-eyed and blonde haired.... everything he was not! He attempted to create a utopia he could not even be part of!

I like what WisdomBeing said below, what the CTA holds dear (their identity) is being threatened by the Chinese.

What Shugdenpas hold dear (their practice) was taken away by the CTA. Maybe the CTA should wake up and realize that their actions do have karmic repercussions!

As I had mentioned in another thread, the Tibetans are now having their very identity threatened because the Chinese government is considering removing their ethnicity from their identity cards. This would be a radical method to assimilate the Tibetans into Chinese society, an action which was ironically prompted by the actions of the Tibetans to protest for independence.

Perhaps there’s a strange sort of karma, in that since the CTA had wanted to separate Shugden practitioners from what they held so dear – their practice, it seems to have created the causes for the Tibetans to be separated from their very identity which they hold so dear.

vajrastorm

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:54:05 AM »
First of all, I do not condone in the least, all the atrocities carried out against Shugden practitioners, young and old, the laity and lay people. The yellow card has effectively ostracized Tibetan Shugden practitioners and created a group of people who are being denied their basic rights. Schools are denied the children, visas for travelling are denied , shops and restaurants and public places are denied too. Furthermore, besides segregation and ostracism, they also suffer from violent acts like stones being hurled at them and their homes. Old lamas and monks may live out the remaining years of their lives (if the ban on Shugden practice is not lifted soon) in pain and anguish.Imagine their having suffered tremendously to escape from the Chinese and now to face this uncalled for anguish and suffering in their land of exile.

Having said that, I do feel that what Hitler did to the Jews in singling them out (via their ID cards) had  a far more deadly and lethal motivation and hence  more painful and disastrous consequences to the Jews than the yellow cards to the Shugden practitioners. Hitler sought to systematically eradicate the Jews. He used such diabolical measures as concentration camps, gas chambers etc.On the other hand, the Dalai Lama's act of banning Shugden practice and segregating/ostracizing Shugen practitioners via the yellow card has been prompted by motivations that we, as yet cannot fathom.Being an emanation of Chenrezig, as we have repeatedly reminded ourselves in this forum, he must surely be acting out of great compassion. The positive result of the ban and the enforcement of the use of yellow cards for Shugden practitioners, if seen in terms of a bigger picture, is that Shugden practice has spread far and wide and is gaining significant ground in populous China. 

Positive Change

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:40:07 PM »
Through the centuries, society has tried (in vain, if I may add) to suppress or segregate for purely selfish reasons. The reason for this is because it is easy to point out the differences (flaws) in another and say just because they are "different" it is cause to justify their own jealousy or selfishness.

History has time and time again proven such atrocities exists and pushed them to the surface. Sometimes these calculated acts last for some time but often it gets to the point where it becomes so jarring it is hard to ignore and thus eradicated in some way.

Why do "we" do this? Yes, I use we because, we are all guilty of this at some point in our lives. It is always "easier" to find fault than it is to find the good (or similar qualities) in others. Such is the nature of our egotistical mind which only focuses on self perseverance. If one disagrees on this, check where this thought comes from and you will get my point!

Having said this, I do not condone such actions. NO! Am merely saying it happens and why it happens. It is a very simple act of wanting "control" over others. To pigeon hole them into admitting that they are indeed wrong because in agreeing with the "motion" one is saying precisely that and in NOT agreeing one is "publicly" saying no, hence it is a lose, lose situation cleverly disguised as a "choice"!

negra orquida

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »
Thank you vajrastorm for highlighting that the situation for Tibetans who practice DS being discriminated against by their own people is akin to the plight the Jews during the holocaust. 

This post reminds me of the quote by Albert Eintsten:

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Another more "recent" genocide happened in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge Regime led by Pol Pot (1975 - 1979), which saw millions of innocent civilian Cambodians, from babies to old folks, comprising almost half of the country's total population at the time being cruelly tortured and killed.  Cambodia is a Buddhist country, however Pol Pot was an atheist (or obviously not a practicing Buddhist).  And the horror of it all was that other countries had allowed and supported the regime to rise to power:

(From Wikipedia)
  • US policies in the 1970s contributed to the brutal regime's rise to power
    The Chinese provided financial and military support to the party
    the US and UK began supporting the deposed Khmer Rouge regime of Pol Pot.
    Due to American and British pressure, the Khmer Rouge retained the Cambodian seat in the United Nations for many years afterwards

If we sit around and sigh and do nothing else about the plight of oppressed Shugdenpas, or even turn a wilful blind eye at the situation, we would just be like the US, Chinese, UK politicians allowing Pol Pot and Hitler to do whatever they thought was right for their countries, at the expense of millions of innocent helpless lives.  Can we, after seeing how these oppressed Shugdenpas are being treated in this day and age and against all logic, hold our head up high and not feel guilty to say we could not have done anything to help them at all?

So what can we mere non-politicians and non-VIP people do?

Use the hands and eyes of the internet. Read. Write. Share. Like! It takes one to start a thread and one more to follow to create a movement. never underestimate the power of One.  Keeping this forum alive and exciting is one way to lift the ban and stop this spiritual genocide!

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 07:59:09 AM »
 I find that the fact that the holocaust and the ban on Dorje Shugden having so many similarities is very scary. The "hitler" now is His Holiness and tons of people are getting ostracized  just like the Jews. It is really sad to hear that. But, through this ban, the world is able to see the rise of the Dorje Shugden practice. When the ban is lifted, the practice of Dorje Shugden will flourish. The world will see the rise of Shugden.

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »
Vajratruth, I like your creativity in comparing the two situations. You are right it is very much in similarity.   “Like the “undesirable” people that Hitler rejected, overnight, thousands of old Tibetan monks, ordinary people, families and children were deemed “unclean” because they refused to renounce a Buddha and abandon their religious belief.”

The Shugdenpas who refuses to abandon their practice are denied of certain rights, benefits and are being ostracized by people they may have known for their whole life! How sad to see this happening in Buddhism itself. 

However, due to this ban, the Shugdenpas not only did not give up their practice that was passed down by their Holy Guru, the Shugden movement is getting stronger by the day and more people are benefited and coming to know the uncommon protector DORJE SHUGDEN, thanks to this ban.

May all Shugdenpas stay strong and carry on the necessary work to spread the teaching far and wide!
DORJE PAKMO

Klein

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
This is a human rights issue which CTA can be sued for.

The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) is a multilateral treaty adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 16 December 1966, and in force from 3 January 1976. It commits its parties to work toward the granting of economic, social, and cultural rights (ESCR) to individuals, including labour rights and the right to health, the right to education, and the right to an adequate standard of living.

Furthermore, Part 2 (Articles 2 – 5) of the Convenant "establishes the principle of "progressive realisation" – see below. It also requires the rights be recognised "without discrimination of any kind as to race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status". The rights can only be limited by law, in a manner compatible with the nature of the rights, and only for the purpose of "promoting the general welfare in a democratic society"."

CTA has NO rights to ostracise Tibetans who practise Dorje Shugden. Like Aung San Suu Kyi, we need to advocate for the ban on Dorje Shugen to be lifted using non violent approaches. Perhaps a lawyer is needed to help the ostracised Tibetans win back their basic rights.

kurava

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 04:20:29 AM »
[i]"Perhaps there’s a strange sort of karma, in that since the CTA had wanted to separate Shugden practitioners from what they held so dear – the practice, it seems to have created the causes for the Tibetans to be separated from their very identity which they hold so dear. " - Wisdom Being

It is obvious to the whole Buddhist world the irony in CTA's cause - By not giving freedom to DS practitioners how can the CTA realize their goal of Free Tibet ? You may say it's a bigger picture theory , but how can you get the result by not creating the right cause ? So many suffered unnecessary under CTA, it really takes a whole lot of patience to wait for the unveiling of the Bigger Picture.

The world will not allow Holocaust to repeat itself. Through the power of media and pressure from other bodies, CTA will definitely relent and DS practice will come out even stronger just as Trijang Rinpoche predicted.

michaela

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 02:00:07 PM »
I found that equalizing DS ban with the 3rd Reich (Hitler) or with Khmer Rouge are too extreme.  The 3rd Reich and and Khmer Rouge involved massive killing and extreme cruelty.

I think the issue of DS ban is more or less similar to US race discrimination of the past.  Where the black/ nigger as they were referred to back then (now they were referred as African American) were not allowed to go to certain places, attend certain functions, etc.  Even their seats in the bus were segregated from white folks.  Thus, to see how Shugdenpas are being treated today is like we are going back several decades in time.

History has proven again and again that when a certain group of people are being oppressed or treated unfairly, sooner or later they will rise to defend their rights.  Unfortunately, this action to defend one’s right can turn bloody. 

I really hope that when Shugdenpas rise to defend their rights we will embody Mahatma Gandhi’s spirit of non-violence.  I pray that the ban will be lifted soon.

dsiluvu

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
I found that equalizing DS ban with the 3rd Reich (Hitler) or with Khmer Rouge are too extreme.  The 3rd Reich and and Khmer Rouge involved massive killing and extreme cruelty.

I think the issue of DS ban is more or less similar to US race discrimination of the past.  Where the black/ nigger as they were referred to back then (now they were referred as African American) were not allowed to go to certain places, attend certain functions, etc.  Even their seats in the bus were segregated from white folks.  Thus, to see how Shugdenpas are being treated today is like we are going back several decades in time.

History has proven again and again that when a certain group of people are being oppressed or treated unfairly, sooner or later they will rise to defend their rights.  Unfortunately, this action to defend one’s right can turn bloody. 

I really hope that when Shugdenpas rise to defend their rights we will embody Mahatma Gandhi’s spirit of non-violence.  I pray that the ban will be lifted soon.

Yes my views is along these lines of racist discrimination or the Salem witch hunts, where many were accused wrongly for practicing witch craft!  And they were drowned... all in the name of the Church. And now this, all in the name of ???

Yes it is frightening and would be such a horrible despair if it turns bloody. And it has happened when they first started the big split.

The Shugden Outcasts Small | Large

Or Read about it Here... http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=3867 

Yes we a Dorje Shugden practitioners, devoted to our Gurus will need to defend not by violence but more with love and compassion and definitely skillfulness. Well I find that over here, this website, the admins/moderators & ppl we don't see behind, has been amazing, actively defending and promoting Dorje Shugden is such a manner that is non-violent & non-bias. There are so many ways we can defend our Gurus, lineage and practice and this is one skillful way I believe will surely make the CTA's ears/eyes itch... and anyone can do it from any part of the world too! Anyone can participate in this.

Just send them CTAs / Human right organisations these lovely beautifully yet Powerfully written letters which has been kindly crafted out for us to just PRINT & POST from wherever u are.
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=10541 and http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?cat=944