Author Topic: Trijang Rinpoche's daily routine as a student  (Read 19796 times)

hope rainbow

Trijang Rinpoche's daily routine as a student
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »
Someting to reflect on.
I came across a description of Trijang Rinpoche's (previous incarnation) daily routine as he was not even 20 years old, a description made by Trijang Rinpoche himself.
Here it goes:

Early dawn, recitation of:
-   Ganden Lhagyama
-   Expression of the Names of Manjushri (and AM AH RA BA TSA NA DHI mantras, of course)
-   Yamantaka sadhana

Between recitations and breakfast:
-   Memorize at least one and a half page of a philosophical text

After breakfast:
-   Debate in the courtyard (even during the coldest winter days)
-   Study under Gan Rinpoche (his teacher: Lozang Tsultim Rinpoche) or with his learning companion Ngawang Lozang

Mid-day:
-   Debate in the courtyard

Evening:
-   Tara Ritual Puja
-   Debate in the courtyard till past 10pm

Night:
-   In secret, Trijang Rinpoche would study a further 40 to 50 pages of philosophical studies, Kangyur and Tangyur
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:08:42 PM by hope rainbow »

beggar

Re: Trijang Rinpoche's daily routine as a student
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:59:29 AM »
This is beautiful to read and learn about Trijang Rinpoche's life - what a beautiful peek into his daily life!

What struck me most is that he focuses on the prayers and emanations of Manjushri through gaden lhagyama, Yamantaka and of course Manjushri's own mantra. There is a very strong connection between Trijang Rinpoche and this Buddha, which ties in of course, with his strong relationship to Dorje Shugden throughout his life.

I am also inspired by the discipline that he was able to complete so much study and meditation within just one day, even in the harshest of weather conditions. When we read these accounts it show us how our obstacles today are comparatively very small and insignificant, and we just make excuses for not accomplishing what we need to do.

HOPE RAINBOW: What does it mean that he read the Kangyur and Tangyur in secret? Why did he have to do this in secret, as these texts can be read by anyone, i believe, and do not require any initiation?

hope rainbow

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »
Dear Beggar,
"secret" here does not refer to "secret practices".
When I was a teenager, I was watching TV in "secret" after the allowed time, Trijang Rinpoche was studying Dharma texts!
What were you doing in "secret" at that age?
:)

beggar

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:15:58 AM »
Dear Beggar,
"secret" here does not refer to "secret practices".
When I was a teenager, I was watching TV in "secret" after the allowed time, Trijang Rinpoche was studying Dharma texts!
What were you doing in "secret" at that age?

Ah, "secret" means here that it was supposed to be time not meant for studying but he did anyway! Funny how he would find any way to study and read Dharma, even in "secret". Most of us are "secretly" trying to get away from doing more than we need to and would be the reverse to what Trijang Rinpoche did.

It is a consistent point in all the high Lamas biographies that they would find it very spontaneous and easy to read Dharma texts, study, memorise and engage in retreats. They really yearn for it and it is when they cannot do this that they "suffer" - quite the opposite for us modern, wandering, distracted minds! I suppose if we all truly understood the importance and benefit of reading such texts, we would too - it's all a matter of priority, which we have evidently all mixed up.

triesa

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »
Thank you Hoperainbow for sharing this.

High and attained lamas such as Tirjang Rinpoche would never get bored or tired in learning and teaching. They spend their whole life on acquiring knowledge, sharing with their students and benefitting everyone they come across.

Trijang Rinpoche set PERFECT EXAMPLE  to all of us on how we have wasted our lives doing all the mundane things which we hold so dear. It is a true inspiration in reflecting on ourselves that how little we have done in our lives.

These high lamas also show us by " leading  by example" the 6 parameters...... ...

I also read one interesting account in Trijang Rinpoche's Biography that when he was young, he liked to play and draw pictures. But his teacher Gan Rinpoche was very strict. The table close by where Trijang Rinpoche was playing would always come a loud knocking sound  before Gan Rinpoche was to retrun to check on him. This had allowed him to collect the toys he was playing and then pretended to be studying and avoided the scolding from Gan Rinoche. And it was becasue of this "knocking sound" that he could always rely upon, he said he could relax and play until the knocking sound occured.

He then mentioned that it was Dorje Shugden who has cared for him like a loving nother, countless times, even when he was a child at play.  

I find this very cute becasue at the end of the day, all children like to play whether you are a high lama or an ordinary kid. Trijang Rinpoche was no difference. One can easily see the very close bonding and relationship between Trijang Rinpoche and Dorje Shugden.

Lineageholder

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 02:09:09 PM »
Dear hope rainbow,

Thank you for this precious gem that, when contemplated, will dispel laziness!

Do you have the source of this information?  It might be nice to include it in the Trijang Rinpoche Wikipedia article.

Mana

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 07:50:48 PM »
The source is Trijang Rinpoche's autobiography. He wrote it himself. I read it also. It is inspiring.

Wonderful post.

Mana

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 01:22:39 AM »
Thank you for sharing this information on HH Trijang Rinpoche's previous life.

I loved especially the story about the knocking that Triesa posted. I would love to read this autobiography. Is it on sale anywhere? Do any of you have more info of when he received the Dorje Shugden practice and how old was he? Would his previous lives have also practised Dorje Shugden? Who was Trijang Rinpoche's previous life in the time of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen or Tsongkhapa?

Sorry I am full of questions. I'm just curious.

Thank you!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

hope rainbow

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »
I do not know the answers to all your questions WB.
And I will answer to a question that was not asked, I'll tell you who Trijang Rinpoche was at the time of Sidharta, he was Chandra, the charioteer of Prince Sidharta.
Also in the present time, two of his previous incarnations were Ganden Tripas (69th and 85th).
But, you have triggered my curiosity and I would very much like to know who/where he was at the time of Lama Tsongkhapa and Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsaen.

triesa

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
I do not know the answers to all your questions WB.
And I will answer to a question that was not asked, I'll tell you who Trijang Rinpoche was at the time of Sidharta, he was Chandra, the charioteer of Prince Sidharta.
Also in the present time, two of his previous incarnations were Ganden Tripas (69th and 85th).
But, you have triggered my curiosity and I would very much like to know who/where he was at the time of Lama Tsongkhapa and Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsaen.

When I learnt that one of Trijang Rinpoche's previous lives at the time of Sidharta was actually Chandra, the charioteer of Prince Sidharta, it gives me great hope that I can be saved too:-)

I believe the amount of merits Chandra collected by helping Sidharta to escape the palace, and thus creating the cause for the prince to become enlightened was enormous as so many have come into the path of liberation under Buddha Shakyamuni's era.

hope rainbow

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »
Let me share more about Trijang Rinpoche (previous incarnation) 's biography:

At 4 years old, Trijan Rinpoche travels from his birhplace to his ladrang in Lhasa.
There to greet his arrival at his ladrang was a ceremony on which occasion a template of the tibetan alphabet was presented to him by Lord Chantzo Ngaram Dampa and Trijang Rinpoche is said to have learned and remembered it within a day!

Extra-ordinary.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:04:41 PM by hope rainbow »

Big Uncle

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »
With regards to Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, he is known to be an emanation of Vajrayogini/ Heruka. In one of his incarnations, he was recognised as the Karmapa and the Karmapa in turn was recognised as Trijang Rinpoche. This 'switch-a-roo' established the close relationship he has with the Karmapa and it is probably also a teaching against sectarianism.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 07:55:57 AM »
Wow, what a wonderful post on Trijang Rinpoche's life!

May we have access to read or view his full bio at sometime and learn more about this great master.

The little that I have read have inspired me immensely.

For someone like me who has trouble just trying to memorise a few lines of mantra, it is incredible to learn that Trijang Rinpoche can remember a whole text just like that! Such are the attainments accumulated from many lifetimes and these are proofs, living evidence that Tulkus and attainments exist! They do not just fade away and die off. They do remain with us, like strong imprints do.

May all of us be able to cultivate such attainments so that everything we have learnt and accumulated spiritually will not be forgotten and wasted in each lifetime, but increase forever more.

May we all become just like all the great Masters, always becoming better with each lifetime.

Thank you for this beautiful post, Hope Rainbow!
Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 07:39:18 AM »
If Trijang Rinpoche, a holy, faultless being spends all his time studying, memorizing, praying, debating, etc...how much more we samsaric being needs to. Of course, we could think "well, only special beings like Trijang Rinpoche can devote such time, effort, energy...because he is a Buddha and I am not." If we believe in the teachings of the Buddha, then anyone can become a Buddha, anyone can have a happy, meaningful and beneficial life such as Trijang Rinpoche.

I have a long way though...but count myself fortunate to have received teachings and blessings of a Guru to get there..!

hope rainbow

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »
Actually, upon reading (the previous incarnation of) Trijang Rinpoche's biography, what strikes me is that many, many obstacles arozed, but he never gave up. His ladrang was in debts, the party of another candidate to the tile of Trijang Tulku created many problems, many a time people tried to attempt to his life, he met with discredit and doubtful students at Chatreng Monastery, he was forced out of Tibet by the chinese oppression then, he had health issues, to name a few.
Most of us have smaller obstacles to deal with, much smaller and very silly for most (diner with friends over Dharma talk, etc...), but our lack of merit make these obstacles so HUGE that we find it so hard to practice.
This tells me a lot about who Trijang Rinpoche actually is, of how highly attained he is...
And I say he is, because we only need to see the obstacles his current incarnation had to face and how he remained faithful and steady through them to confirm through observation that they are of the same mind continuum.