Author Topic: Pure view or Compassion?  (Read 13076 times)

psylotripitaka

Re: Pure view or Compassion?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »

Truth is subjective and dependent on research, study, and analysis. Obviously HHDL has researched the Shugden issue and find it not beneficial. I subscribe to that truth. You may not.

As to contradictions on this forum, CONTRADICTIONS is the wrong word. ??? It is a forum with different people and opinions after all. I know many of my Tibetan friends here in Dharamsala as well as Americans visit the forum regularly although they don't participate yet and do not agree, but they find the threads interesting all the same. When everyone has a different opinion expressed politely albeit passionately at times, this is not a contradictions but an expression of pluralistic thinking. Why should everyone on the forum sing the same tune or agree to everything? Makes it very boring and doesn't challenge our thinking. There should be differences in opinion on every forum so there will be polite sharing and discussions to learn. Why should everyone fall in line with just one type of thinking or theory. I respect everyone here although I don't believe Shugden is beneficial.  ::)

You believe Shugden is good. You don't subscribe to the big picture. Another individual believe Shugden is good and does subscribe to the big picture (whatever that might be). And I don't believe in either. So what is wrong with that? This is a forum and let's express and challenge eachother to think.  :)

This forum as far as I can tell does not belong to a group or organization but simply operates openly for all to read and enjoy. Why am I here? I am intrigued with why Shugden is such a big deal when there is so much more teachings out there to explore, namely 84,000. ;) 

I totally concur with your analysis, I cannot see how we can regard as good all the things that the Dalai Lama has done to instigate and continue this ban and regardless of how someone views the Dalai Lama, these damaging actions do have to be confronted and challenged.  What can be more damaging than to force Buddhist practitioners to break their vows and commitments to their Gurus, using Palden Lhamo for political purposes and causing a schism in the Buddhist community?

There is a real contradiction on this forum.  On the one hand, many people subscribe to the 'big picture' that the Dalai Lama has banned the practice in order to make Dorje Shugden practice more popular and cause it to flourish more widely, but then on the other hand they are hoping, as evidenced by recent threads, that the Dalai Lama stop criticising Dorje Shugden and lift the ban.  If it is the case that the ban has made Dorje Shugden practice more popular, everyone should be hoping that the Dalai Lama will criticise Dorje Shugden even more and never lift the ban!  So which is it? 

I understand that everyone who reveres the Dalai Lama is having difficulty in accepting what he has done to his own tradition and are struggling to make sense of it and from this point of view, the 'big picture' is one explanation - albeit a somewhat illogical one, I would say.

To my mind, the DL has brought the Gelugpa tradition into disrepute, as the consequences of his reasoning are that the Gelugpas have no pure practice and are spirit worshippers!  This is obviously ridiculous. How can bringing your own Gurus and tradition into disrepute ever be a good thing?  At the very least, someone who does this, even if they were well intentioned for some reason, would be doing an incredibly foolish thing.  I believe that if Dorje Shugden practice has grown in the years since the ban, this shows the power of Great King Duldzin to flourish this tradition even in the most unfavourable conditions.  It is more a testament to the power of our Protector than the skill of the DL, in my view.  We cannot know the Dalai Lama's motivation in doing these things but to all intents and purposes, he seems to have had a really good go at destroying the Gelugpa tradition and has gone too far in trying to accommodate the wishes of the other traditions who seem to be jealous of the Gelugpas.  In reality, all Buddhist traditions are equally precious and should be respected and protected equally. The domination of the Gelugpa tradition and the persecution of the other traditions of Tibetan Buddhism is due to the political actions of the Fifth Dalai Lama really, and that has caused bitterness amongst the other traditions. All the blame is being placed on Je Pabongkhapa and Dorje Shugden, sadly. It's just the manifestation of jealousy and sectarian hatred - but ironically it's Dorje Shugden is accused of being a sectarian spirit!

It's hard to see if these wounds will ever be healed, no matter what the Dalai Lama does about the ban. But then this is samsara, so what can we expect?  ;)

Tenzin, thank you for sharing your views in this particular thread, for you have answered at least one of my previous questions - why you are here? I would just like to address your answer.

Simply put, the reason Dorje Shugden is such a big deal is that many realized lineage Gurus of several different schools of Tibetan Buddhism have told us that he is wisdom Buddha Manjushri and that now is the time to rely upon him. They have given extensive logical support for who he is, what he is capable of, and the benefits of reliance, the most important being the development and protection of Dharma Wisdom within our own mind - we become our own Protector. He helps us realize the 84,000 teachings of Buddha and protects that realization in different ways. Not only are we told this, but many practitioners have direct experience of these benefits, and this cannot be denied, it is a fact. Whether you care to believe that or not, whether the Dalai Lama cares to believe that or not, this is the reality. And if you two who share the same name want to believe the Dharmapala is a spirit, it will not be the first spirit to have helped practitioners along the path to enlightenment, as we can clearly see in many stories, Jetsun Milarepa's 5 consorts being one such example.

Sure, we can see examples of people who rely upon this King of Protectors who fall off the path or who's realization degenerates, but this is not the fault of the Dharmapala, for all the Buddhas can only work within the frame of our particular Karma, and being the Kali Yuga, it is not a surprise that people fall. Nonetheless, he is very helpful to many people, so for them he is certainly a rock star just as the Dalai Lama is for you. So let us mutually respect each other, and I ask that in your support of the ban and the Dalai Lama, please do not go out of your way to harm others as so many other people like you have. Please act in accordance with Buddha Shakyamuni's teaching to take great care to help suffering mother beings. Life is hard enough, please don't make it harder for people. Love them as you love yourself, as you love His Holiness, for surely you will be taking the essence of your human life.

Thanks again for sharing your time and perspectives.

Much love,
psylotripitaka

dsiluvu

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »
 ;D Here we go again... and I must say it is refreshing to see this subject of debate or dialogue is popping up again... and gosh all this arose from the "Ban"! Isn't it just sooo ironic... because of this silly horrible "ban" that is why we are even here so actively discussing it on this forum. How many Dorje Shugden websites have been created since the ban, how many DOrje SHugden Youtubes done since the ban, How many Dorje Shugden books, posters, brochures etc created since the ban and before there was not much or close to none. And the perfect "real time" example of how the ban created by this one single voice... HHDL is creating chatters on this FORUM! Do we even pause to realize this? I don't think we'd be this passionate to talk or think about Dorje Shugden if there was no "ban".

I do admit in the beginning when I first heard about the ban, I also had a few doubts and questions such as what Lineageholder have pointed out like how could someone who is Chenrezig cause so much pain, suffering and chaos but this is if we view this event through our limited lens of gross contaminated projections. Then I regained faith in His Holiness and even more faith in Dorje Shugden after visiting this website and reading through their stand, logic and reasoning without having to put anyone down especially His Holiness... Just read their mission statement here which is worthy of contemplations and correct motivation I personally feel http://www.dorjeshugden.com/mission-statement/
I'm sorry I just cannot put down any sangha down, especially someone like the Dalai Lama... no matter how bad they may appear as this is one of our basic Buddhist vows taught by Buddha himself and it has heavy negative repercussions, so I am gonna play it safe here, sorry, and not be too cheeky and smart and break it. Simple all we need to do is look at ourselves and check what we have done, what's our result in being, look at Dalai Lama's... (remove your mind from the ban issue) you will be in no comparison! No matter what anyone says, you cannot ignore the fact that He has saved and helped tremendously in the preservation and growth of Vajrayana Buddhism globally!

But I do speak out, I condemn, I rebel, I reject all the negative actions created by the Tibetan govt/CTA  and those who took the Dalai Lama's words literally and acted violently towards their own teachers, sangha and Dharma brothers and sisters! This is the part that is most unfortunate, most disheartening and the saddest of it all for there is huge repercussions... as we all know "karma will come back"... why on earth do you think Tibet lost their country in the first place... if we say it is not because of "karma", the Tibetan's past actions... then we might as well say we do not believe in Buddhas teachings. Then we might as well say we're not Buddhist, no?

So yes you can say because of HHDL, my faith in Buddhism, in my Gurus and in Dorje Shugden have increased tremendously at a very large speed. So I thank His Holiness for this although this does not mean I agree and support the negative actions, pain and suffering created and caused due to this ban! I am looking at the glass...and see it is half full not half empty :) And I'm sure I am not the only one, not only has many faiths strengthen, this ban has created a whole new wave of Dorje Shugden practiced being revived and perhaps you could say encouraged and supported by China. Anything the Dalai Lama says is bad... they will pick it up and use it... so to me this is so brilliantly skillful, how could someone like the Dalai Lama not foresee this. It's ridiculous to even think that. As someone has mentioned before by someone in the previous thread on this subject...  (Tibetans in exile population, approx 140,000 ++  versus China's population 1,344,130,000 ++)..which do you think a Buddha would pick????  ;)

Thanks for all the sharing... it has been an interesting exchange!

Dolce Vita

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 01:08:21 AM »
This is a interesting discussion. I have my doubts to on this controversy, while trying to spread DS to the whole world, many sacrificed. But there are a few points here stopping me from making any conclusion until the 'truth' is revealed.

My thoughts are:
1) could it be our collective karmas that DS has to appear this way? For a Guru (a buddha) to remain with the us or students, we have to create the karmas for this to happen. If we do no create the right cause, gurus will not remain. So,  it might be our collective karmas that DS cannot appear to us in a peaceful situation but in a controversy like this. I remember when Naropa set off to look for his guru Tilopa, he was not able to meet or see him directly. Tilopa has to appear in other forms to give him teachings.

2) People who sacrificed because of the ban, they might have prayed in their previous lives that they would do anything to spread DS? Just like how Tulku Dragpa Gyeltsen maniefest as DS, he has made a promise in his previous life that he would protect Tsongkhapa's teachings, even it meant to die in a horrible death.

3) Tilopa has instructed Naropa to bring him curry from a wedding, Tilopa knew very well that Naropa would have to steal in order to satistfy his ' craving ' for the curry but yet Tilopa still sent Naropa regardless. Can we conclude that Tilopa was not an attained master because he encouraged stealing?

To be able to see, to understand and to have realisation depends on our karmas. Therefore, I would say as of now, I do not have the Karma to understand what HH Dalai Lama is doing. I would not make any conclusion just yet. However, I do believe he is a highy attained master, a man with full of wisdom. I still respect him.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 02:12:35 AM »
I was waiting for someone to bring up the curry...isn't there also a story where Buddha tells his students to go steal some food or something, and all of them leave but one, who when asked by Buddha why he didn't go with everyone else he replied 'you are always teaching the faults of stealing and the benefits of moral discipline, so it would contradict your instruction to have gone with them' and Buddha replied 'you're the only one that got it'. Did I read that on here...such a poor memory.

I've read some stuff in other threads about our topic and see a middle way that people are working with, but wanted to share the other two perspectives as an alternative way to work with the controversy.

The middle way I see is quite simple - while maintaining our view that the human aspect of the Guru is an emanation of Buddha, upon observing actions that contradict the teachings, we can respectfully engage them in dialogue and confront them about it. If there is no openness to dialogue, we are left in a position of having to make some decisions, and I have seen a variety of decisions being made from both sides while people maintain pure view and this is a wonderful example.

This entire subject is very bound up with tantric view vs. ordinary conceptions, and it is very important that whatever view we choose at any particular moment, that it is increasing the vibration of our virtuous minds. 

Big Uncle

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 10:12:24 AM »
I was waiting for someone to bring up the curry...isn't there also a story where Buddha tells his students to go steal some food or something, and all of them leave but one, who when asked by Buddha why he didn't go with everyone else he replied 'you are always teaching the faults of stealing and the benefits of moral discipline, so it would contradict your instruction to have gone with them' and Buddha replied 'you're the only one that got it'. Did I read that on here...such a poor memory.

I've read some stuff in other threads about our topic and see a middle way that people are working with, but wanted to share the other two perspectives as an alternative way to work with the controversy.

The middle way I see is quite simple - while maintaining our view that the human aspect of the Guru is an emanation of Buddha, upon observing actions that contradict the teachings, we can respectfully engage them in dialogue and confront them about it. If there is no openness to dialogue, we are left in a position of having to make some decisions, and I have seen a variety of decisions being made from both sides while people maintain pure view and this is a wonderful example.

This entire subject is very bound up with tantric view vs. ordinary conceptions, and it is very important that whatever view we choose at any particular moment, that it is increasing the vibration of our virtuous minds.

Dear psylotripitaka,
Interesting viewpoint about the Buddha's story. The story seems to be coming from the viewpoint of a Theravadin where the focus is more upon external morality. There is a similar story in Vajrayana of Naropa and his Guru Tilopa that is totally opposite of what you just said.

In this story, Tilopa the Guru loved the curry that Norapa brought back from one of his begging rounds at a wedding and he kept asking for more. After a few times, Naropa knew he would be rejected for asking for so much. In order not to disappoint his Guru, he let go of inhibition as a mendicant and stole the pot of curry and brought it back to his Guru. When the Guru received the curry, he knew of Naropa's letting go of his ego and thanked him and called him as his son for the first time in many years of service. He knew that it was time for him to receive initiation and bestowed initiation of Vajravarahi unto him.

It is believed that for those with higher motivations like the great masters, the reality of actions, whether they are negative or not cannot be determined solely by the action alone. It is the motivation and if we cannot determine that, it is the result of the action, we can see what was the motivation. Hence, such masters like Chogyam Trungpa, who was a great teacher but with a terrible reputation of being an alcoholic and a womaniser, manage to pull together Shambala. For someone like the Dalai Lama, who is immaculate for everything except his ban on Dorje Shugden, that has managed to get China to spread Dorje Shugden practice and in a strange way, spurt the growth of New Kadampa Tradition and other Dorje Shugden organisations the world over. Instead of stamping out Dorje Shugden, the results seem to point towards spreading it. That's how I see it from the facts that is presented here and on the news.

honeydakini

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 11:07:26 AM »
...... it is very important that whatever view we choose at any particular moment, that it is increasing the vibration of our virtuous minds.

Psylotripitaka, I love what you have said here, especially what I put in bold. Ultimately, that's what any true teacher wishes for his students - that their minds transform and goodness increases.

I also like what you have said about being able to debate and be open to dialogue. Any true teacher would be more than happy to answer our questions if we ask sincerely, with the wish to understand what we are doing better, and therefore get much better results from it. I think, a variation of your story about the Buddha telling his disciples to steal, would be for any student to just ask him from the start what this is about and to request that he be excused from this instruction as it contradicts the former teachings. This would be his form of questioning the instruction but respectfully, and with the wish to understand why he should or shouldn't do something at a deeper level.

I have asked my teacher many times when I am unsure of something and he has patiently answered every of my questions, even if he had already answered them a hundred times before. I know there comes a point where you need to have some trust and understand that the teacher isn't going to do anything that hurts you but what i mean to say is that a true teacher will never not answer a student's question if it is asked sincerely and with the wish to understand and do things better.

However, it's also important to know when the questioning just becomes a form of resistance or when we ask only as a kind of delay tactic, or because we are just arguing for the sake of it. If the teacher has explained something very clearly and his instructions to us are logical and clear, but we still refuse to do it, then we need to ask ourselves why it is that we are even following this person as a teacher.

I was told once that a teacher doesn't need or want us to be dependent on him. Ultimately, he wants us to be free agents, independent and able to think for ourselves - we become our own teachers and moral compass. So it's about being careful not to develop this over-dependency on him either. Like you said, whatever we have chosen to do, we need to think about whether it's increasing our goodness or if it's just making the delusion in us grow even stronger.

Lineageholder

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44:22 AM »
For someone like the Dalai Lama, who is immaculate for everything except his ban on Dorje Shugden, that has managed to get China to spread Dorje Shugden practice and in a strange way, spurt the growth of New Kadampa Tradition and other Dorje Shugden organisations the world over. Instead of stamping out Dorje Shugden, the results seem to point towards spreading it. That's how I see it from the facts that is presented here and on the news.

Sorry, I can't agree with this. I find that this is a strange view - it's almost like attributing the success of Atisha's activities of spreading Buddhadharma in Tibet to the destructive reign of King Langdarma previously! Are you saying that the growth of the New Kadampa Tradition is due to the ban on Dorje Shugden?  You would not believe the ostracism and negativity we have had to endure from other Buddhist traditions as a result of the Dalai Lama's ban.  We've had people from other Buddhist groups phoning venues where we hold classes and actively trying to get them stopped.  NKT has also received much criticism for standing up against the Dalai Lama, and for the protests of 1996/7 and 2008.

The growth of NKT is due to the purity of Geshe Kelsang's intention and the power of Lama Tsongkhapa and Dorje Shugden, nothing else.  The growth of Dorje Shugden organisations is due to the power of the Great King also, in spite of the Dalai Lama's attempts to stamp out the practice.  I rejoice in all Buddhist traditions and practitioners but the Dalai Lama can take no credit for the growth of reliance on Dorje Shugden.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »
We've had people from other Buddhist groups phoning venues where we hold classes and actively trying to get them stopped.  NKT has also received much criticism for standing up against the Dalai Lama, and for the protests of 1996/7 and 2008.

Lineageholder,

This is quite interesting and not something widely reported. Can you please share with us a bit more on how other Buddhist groups tried to stop NKT activities? Was it a Shugden related issue and how was it resolved? Is there still trouble for Shugden practitioners and what do the local law enforcement people do about it?

I would like to hear accounts of how the ban has affected people outside Dharamsala.

Thank you.

dondrup

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »
"Curious Vajratruth, so are you saying that if it serves the greater good, it is acceptable to do the following:

1) lie
2) trash talk our lineage Gurus including our own root Guru
3) force people to break their samaya through coercion, signature campaigns, economic withholding and so forth
4) encourage others to destroy peoples homes and shrines
5) cause international schism within the Buddhist community
6) bring the Buddhadharma into disrepute
7) encourage others to stop peaceful protesters by whatever means
8)put lineage Gurus on 10 most hated enemies of the state and issue death threats to them
9) cause extensive ostracism within an already exiled community
10) and so forth and so on?

In his reply to one of his students, Lama Zopa Rinpoche has this to say about Dorje Shugden practice below. Please refer the article Caught Between a Rock and Hard Place http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/caught-between-a-rock-and-hard-place/

Therefore, it becomes very important to support His Holiness and to fulfil His Holiness’ wishes. For that reason, Kopan Monastery stopped doing this practice. This was done for His Holiness. This does not mean that Pabongka Dechen Nyingpo, His Holiness Trijang Rinpoche, and His Holiness Zong Rinpoche have made mistakes. It does not mean they are wrong. Nor does one have to look at the protector as evil. For us ordinary people it is difficult to judge, because we cannot see these lamas’ minds.

Another side of the teaching is that it is mentioned that the protector is an Arya Bodhisattva, a manifestation of Manjushri. So, then, there is also the risk of our creating very heavy karma in that context. [for having bad thoughts about an enlightened being]

Similarly we are not in the position to say that HH Dalai Lama is wrong even though all of these “ordinary” actions appear to be wrong and totally contravene the very essence of what Buddhism taught – compassion, kindness, love, non-harming of others and so on.  If HH Dalai Lama is truly an emanation of Buddha  Chenrezig, He would have complete omniscience and clairvoyance of the consequences of initiating the ban.  He would have known the suffering of each and every one affected by the ban.  How could He not know?  Even if HH Dalai Lama is not an emanation of Buddha Chenrezig, as a lineage holder of Buddha Shakyamuni, HH Dalai Lama would have the common sense to know the effect of the ban would have on many people!  Similarly, HH Dalai Lama/emanation of Buddha Chenrezig will know who Dorje Shugden is from the very outset and not changed His mind later saying that Dorje Shugden is a spirit!

Another quote from Lama Zopa Rinpoche’ advice to his student below.  Please refer the article Caught Between a Rock and Hard Place http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/caught-between-a-rock-and-hard-place/

Another way to look at this situation is that although in reality there is no mistake on the guru’s part, nevertheless we see mistakes according to our karma. The guru shows mistakes because we only have the karma to see this manifestation at this moment, and nothing else.

In this matter, that aspect becomes most precious and important for us, for our minds. As it is mentioned by Gyalwa Ensapa, “Until one becomes separated from evil karmic obscurations, even if all the Buddhas without exception directly descend in front of one, one will not have the fortune to see the supreme holy body, adorned with the holy signs and exemplifications, but rather only the present appearance (the ordinary view). ”

Until we have completely purified our obscuration to the mind, we continue to perceive HH Dalai Lama’s actions as ordinary.  In other words, HH Dalai Lama is “wrong” with the ban.

Not everyone can have the pure view of HH Dalai Lama’s actions as beneficial and for the greater cause.  Not everyone can accept that it is our mistaken view on the pure action of the enlightened being like HH Dalai Lama. 

Great damage had been done and a huge one indeed! Everyone that is affected by this ban has the karma to experience this huge obstacle!   If we can transform these adversities into the path, we can definitely purify our heavy negative karma!  But again, not many will be able to transform these!  Notwithstanding that, as Dorje Shugden practitioners, we have the personal responsibility to create the cause for the ban to be lifted. We have the responsibility as Buddhists to uphold the Dharma and right the wrong. 

psylotripitaka

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 01:48:33 AM »

Dear psylotripitaka,
Interesting viewpoint about the Buddha's story. The story seems to be coming from the viewpoint of a Theravadin where the focus is more upon external morality. There is a similar story in Vajrayana of Naropa and his Guru Tilopa that is totally opposite of what you just said.

In this story, Tilopa the Guru loved the curry that Norapa brought back from one of his begging rounds at a wedding and he kept asking for more. After a few times, Naropa knew he would be rejected for asking for so much. In order not to disappoint his Guru, he let go of inhibition as a mendicant and stole the pot of curry and brought it back to his Guru. When the Guru received the curry, he knew of Naropa's letting go of his ego and thanked him and called him as his son for the first time in many years of service. He knew that it was time for him to receive initiation and bestowed initiation of Vajravarahi unto him.

It is believed that for those with higher motivations like the great masters, the reality of actions, whether they are negative or not cannot be determined solely by the action alone. It is the motivation and if we cannot determine that, it is the result of the action, we can see what was the motivation. Hence, such masters like Chogyam Trungpa, who was a great teacher but with a terrible reputation of being an alcoholic and a womaniser, manage to pull together Shambala. For someone like the Dalai Lama, who is immaculate for everything except his ban on Dorje Shugden, that has managed to get China to spread Dorje Shugden practice and in a strange way, spurt the growth of New Kadampa Tradition and other Dorje Shugden organisations the world over. Instead of stamping out Dorje Shugden, the results seem to point towards spreading it. That's how I see it from the facts that is presented here and on the news.

Hello Big Uncle & others, thank you for your input.

Firstly, I have to admit that after reading so many contradictory things from Lama Zopa, I don't pay much attention anymore to things I read about things he's said regarding the Protector, the Dalai Lama, or the ban, the introduction to a new anti-Shugden book being the final straw for me. I certainly don't mean disrespect, but there are too many contradictions to know what to believe so I just steer clear. His other Dharma teachings are wonderful!

Secondly, I do not agree with the view that Dorje Shugden practice is now spreading throughout the world due to the ban. Consider the following - There are a few new monasteries and we have all this great knowledge about his history, but if you compare the number of new monasteries to the number of monasteries and Centers that have lost the practice, there is simply no comparison. The reality is, if the ban never happened, there would be far more places practicing Dorje Shugden. As I said before, due to the power of the blessings of the Ganden lineage and Dorje Shugden, the Dharma of Je Tsongkhapa was doing just fine spreading and proliferating throughout the world. Therefore, I would say the ban has had the opposite effect as you say, for many people have abandoned the practice who also go out of their way to slander and obstruct the human rights and Dharma activities of those who continue the practice. Also, the Ganden lineage has been split and forcibly mixed with other instructions that have not been handed down in this lineage. And, the reputation of various Gelug organizations, Centers, and practitioners has become tarnished and complicated.

Thirdly, the meaning of why exactly Mahasiddha Tilopa was delighted by Pandit Naropa is uncertain, and anyhow, this was a very individual situation. Maybe after chilling our around the fire afterwards, Je Tilopa said 'ya know, it was really inappropriate to steal so try not to do that in the future even if I tell you.' It was difficult to record every little conversation back then. I get your point, but we are talking about human conventions being ignored on a massive scale over a very prolonged period of time. In that light, whether the Dalai Lama is a Buddha or a sentient being is nearly beside the point. You see, until we accomplish Outer Pure Dakini Land, we still perceive and conceive (mostly) ourselves to inhabit an ordinary human realm, and in that realm there are conventions that the majority of humans live by. Sure Dondrub, we need to purify the negative karma, good point, and the appearance of suffering and the ban is ordinary appearance and conception, but, as I said, until we accomplish deep stability in Generation Stage and Completion Stage of Highest Yoga Tantra, we still inhabit this human world and need to respect its boundaries and conventions to an extent. It seems to me that people are always coming up with ways to be ok with the Dalai Lama's actions, and I understand why some people would need to do this. Whether or not he is a Buddha, with respect to this ban and all the damage its caused, it is wrong.

Vajratruth, there are many problems with people from various traditions that support the Dalai Lama. Examples are slandering a teacher, Center, or tradition so that they will not be able to use a venue or retreat facility. Theft of fliers so that people will not find out about an event. Slander in the media to cause disruption to a Dharma event. Protesting outside Centers on the sidewalk to prevent people from going. Doing "Buddhist" rituals to cause disruption and even kill people. These things definitely happen, and I've been told things by many people from various traditions in confidence because they didn't know I am best friends with Dorje Shugden. As you can see from this last mention, the ban has made it very awkward to make harmonious connections with Buddhists in general because as soon as they find out you practice Dorje Shugden, their bodies and minds contort with non-virtue. Just think how much worse their reaction would be if they found out I actually am Dorje Shugden. Their face would bug out like "Large Marge" in Peewees Big Adventure! hahahaha.

The reason Heruka and Vajrayogini's blessings increase as times become more degenerate is due to how Ishvara and his retinue were subdued at the time of the Chakrasamvara Tantra's appearance. So, as the activities of Ishvara increase, the blessings of the Yidam's also increase because of their special relationship. That is one of the reasons why for some practitioners (those who actually train deeply and consistently) it is sometimes said we are experiencing a golden age. From the point of view of how far the teachings have spread it is also a Golden Age.

However, from the point of view of predictions, things do not look so hot for the not too distant future. We know Buddha's prediction about the length of life of his teachings and that it will be destroyed from the inside, and Ngulchu Dharmabhadra's prediction that the time has been cut in half. We know the prediction that Tantra will become very popular just before the teachings are extinguished. We also know that this is the Kali Yuga, so we can see many internal and external things rapidly degenerating in our world, and that it is increasingly difficult for people to gain deep realizations such as tranquil abiding, actual bodhichitta, mastery of generation and completion stage, permanent liberation etc. Compare how many have high realizations to how many had them in the past and how easy it was for them to do so. And, we know that the Mara's activities are very intertwined with this degeneration.

So, when we look at the circumstances surrounding this ban, the Karmapa controversy, and other things within the international Buddhist community that bring the 3 Jewels into disrepute and cause great degeneration of harmony and the ability to generate faith - the mother of all realizations, it is not unreasonable to consider how the Mara's are doing an excellent job bringing the Buddhadharma quickly to the finish line. In Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, Professor Dumbeldore begins a year at Hogwart's by speaking about dark forces attempting to penetrate the walls of Hogwart's, but that in the end "there greatest weapon is YOU". Through possession, through mixing with the delusions of living beings, through coordinating circumstances by various means, the mara's assist us in actions that break moral discipline and defame the teachings.

The storm has hit, and the only shelter is to practice hard. Pabonkha Rinpoche said - "Now is the time to steel your will". May the increase of Mara increase your realizations!

Big Uncle

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:29 AM »
Dear lineageholder and psylotripitaka,
You may not agree with what I believe. Its ok. No need to get all riled up for it. I understand the persecution people from NKT experience as I have often heard about it and that's why I chose not to be engage in any organisations. Part of why I believe the way I believe is because of what Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche had explained in his text as well.

Page 125 of Music Delighting The Ocean of Protectors
But some who are narrow minded, not understanding this point, consider this Dharmapala to be like an ordinary worldly being and, with supposed faith in the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama, disparage him; or else they indeed admire this great Dharmapala but criticize the Dalai Lama or Panchen Lama. Using either one as a reason not to admire the other and speaking badly about either in any way is the conduct of an ordinary being who, under the influence of attachment and hatred, just tries to help friends and hurt enemies; it obscures the increase of these great holy Aryas' deeds and creates the karmic cause to experience unbearable suffering in the future.

You may or may not believe in Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche's advice or you may interpret it differently. That's ok too. But you cannot deny that Dorje Shugden is growing despite all the persecution. I am very sure NKT is one of the biggest if not the biggest Buddhist Organisation in the world. It is definitely the blessings of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and students with samaya that makes it grow all over the world. However, I also think that the ban had a hand in making NKT stronger.

This is not to mention the growth of Dorje Shugden practice in China. Putting Trijang Rinpoche's advice and the very obvious growth of Dorje Shugden practice in the world makes me think that perhaps the Dalai Lama may have a different intention with the ban. It's not easy to accept and I understand that considering all the hurt and harm, which I cannot deny as well. So, at this point, I have to stick with Trijang Rinpoche's advice for now and rather not saying anything bad about the Dalai Lama and not supporting his ban either as a Dorje Shugden practitioner.                                                         

psylotripitaka

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
Hi Big Uncle,

I don't feel riled up, was just responding with a different view. I agree with Trijang Dorjechang as well, and do not feel that I have been speaking badly about the Dalai Lama, I have been speaking frankly with good intention about the predicament and the Dalai Lama's influence in it. As you know, in terms of taking action to pacify the ban and its negatives side effects, we cannot ignore the stark contrast between clear and extensive logical reasoning, and the many contradictions of the anti-Shugden party in both word and action. This is not speaking badly, it is speaking candidly about the facts that are appearing to the people in this world. There are so many example, but let's take Lama Zopa's new introduction as an example. Besides the plain contradiction that he speaks extensively about Guru devotion and the Guru not making mistakes yet stating that Je Pabonkhapa & Trijang Rinpoche made mistakes, how can he say the Dalai doesn't make mistakes when the 5th Dalai Lama says in his own autobiography that he made a mistake. I must say that when Masters write things like this, from a practical point of view, you have to say 'huh'? Hence the recent thread on "...which is it?"

The ban has certainly been a contributing factor in certain developments, I agree. I was just making the point that the overall spread of Je Tsongkhapa and Dorje Shugden's lineage is mainly to do with their blessings and would have increased anyways without any sort of ban.

Probably the thing I feel the most saddened by is that many practitioners have lost their faith and abandoned Dharma altogether. I realize they didn't have to abandon it completely, but the fact is, the whole situation was too much for them to bear. Now, our friend Ensapa here thinks this is the skillful means of the Dalai Lama separating the wheat from the chaff, but I don't agree. Buddha taught according to the capacity, inclinations, and personal circumstances of the people, and it is very important that we strive to follow that example because everyone has different karma. It takes alot of consistent effort in correct meditation to get our realizations to go from a somewhat shaky belief to a strong enough force in the mind to oppose hindrances. This is one reason I felt like sharing various ways to look at this situation, because I have suffered and watched many others suffer and some of the things I've shared in this thread have grown out of my own experience of working with the situation. In this thread I was attempting to show how tricky it can be in the mind when we are relating to appearances, and to check very precisely what our view is at different times. Obviously there's alot at stake, as Trijang Rinpoche points out, but ultimately it does boil down to 'applying meditation to whatever circumstances we meet'. If our virtuous minds are not increasing through this dialogue, through being confronted by the ban and it's side-effects, we are definitely not going in the right direction.

beggar

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »
Actually, I don't think it's really all that possible to speculate how much more or less the practice of Dorje Shugden would have grown IF this hadn't happened or IF that had happened etc etc. At our level, without clairvoyance or any ability to see into the future, there is no way for us to tell what would occur if this or that course had been taken.

This isn't to say that we allow things to just happen without doing anything but like Psylo has been saying, it's important to remember at all times if our virtue is increasing or decreasing. There have been many ways of reacting to this ban, some of which we personally may not agree with. I think most important is to think if our actions in reaction to the ban creates more negativity or if it inadvertently disturbs more people's minds (for example, might it cause them to go further away from their teachers? have doubt in the Dharma? Think wrongly of Buddhism?).

There will always be obstacles to our practice, whatever that practice may be and whether on an inward or outer level. If it wasn't this ban, the collective karma of practitioners, or even our own individual collected karma of countless lifetimes would manifest in a different way to disturb us equally. Think about it - if we were already freed from samsara, we wouldn't have any obstacle at all; we just wouldn't have the karma for this. This is how so many of the high lamas maintain their practice of Dorje Shugden but stay peaceful about the situation. It is, at the end of the day, between us and our lamas; us and the Three Jewels; us and Dorje Shugden. If we can maintain that samaya at all times, then whatever we do will automatically yield that same virtuous result that Psylo has mentioned a few times; and it would cause the least damage to others in the long term.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 03:40:32 AM »
Ensapa,  I see what you mean, so you believe that if the human aspect of the Guru kills someone for example, that this action is ok because it is for a higher purpose; that if they command us to kill others we should do it without question because they have a higher purpose?
Obviously it is within context. If you get a Guru that manifests cult like activity, then obviously, questioning is needed but even before that one should examine the Guru before taking the Guru as the Guru. If we get a Guru that asks us to do things that are beyond our cultural, moral and conventional context it is really our fault for not examining beforehand.

We can still confront sentient beings about their wrong actions without losing respect for them, indeed it is because we love and respect them that we try to correct them. Also, just practically speaking, the members of  Dorje Shugden society have done a good job speaking up without being rude, although there are a couple exceptions where it was necessary for them to be more direct.
Ditto!

Of course Ashvagosha's compilation of what is said in the Tantras isn't a lie, but we need to reflect on the Gurus actions by holding them up to the mirror of Dharma. If their actions are revealing the path of abandonment, it is not inappropriate to engage them in dialogue about their actions. The particular actions related to the ban are especially very damaging from the pov of Dharma and the pov of the society the Gurus human aspect is operating in. Also, the Gurus teach that some aspects of the 50 verses are cultural and we can adjust according to context. The Gelong vows are similarly flexible.
The ban was meant to provoke questions but nobody questioned the Dalai Lama. So in that context, perhaps the Dalai Lama has tried to intensify the ban hoping that there would be questions, but there was none so now he does not want to condemn Dorje Shugden anymore

As for the advisement to respect the Dalai Lama, consider that there are different meanings of 'respect'. Respecting the Dharma activities of a teacher. Being respectful when communicating with others. Respecting the Holy inner and secret aspect of the Guru. Respecting the Buddhanature of living beings. Respecting sentient beings ' freedom and happiness. Be respectful in communicating your views so the world will see a peaceful example that accords with the Dharma. Be respectful because otherwise you will lose your status, funding, and other kinds if support. Be respectful or your human rights will be abused.
That is the deeper meaning of "respect" that we keep referring to. Again, thank you for your insight.

Just think of what would have happened to the FPMT if Lama Zopa decided they would be loyal to the lineage Gurus and keep relying on the Protector. Respect has many meanings depending on context.
Outwardly it would be disastrous for them, but inwardly i dont think they have given up at all.

As for Gurus beating students to help them purify, in today's society, such things are best kept private between Guru and disciple. And if such actions are going to have the opposite effect, it is not appropriate to do it. That is why Marpa Lotsawa told Jetsun Milarepa not to treat his own students as he had done to Milarepa.
This cannot be applied to today's society anymore..again its within context

Regardless of the view we take, it is outrageous how damaging the ban has been. When we act in contradiction to the Dharma, we are taught to be ashamed of our actions and to take immediate corrective actions. If the Gurus act in accordance with the Dharma, especially in such a broad reaching way as this ban, what is that telling students and the world about the efficacy of the teachings. If I were a teacher that perpetuated the abuses, I would either lift the ban and apologize, or out of respect for the 3 Jewels and world society, I would step down as a teacher rather than perpetuate negativity.
the ban is outrageous, and there has been much damage created by the ban and nobody can deny that, but one has to remember that the Dalai Lama is not an ordinary Lama.

Excellent points as always, psylotripitaka, it is always refreshing and nice to see your postings as it gives insight to so many things.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 04:09:20 AM »
Hi Ensapa, the comments about the ban being to provoke questions but nobody questioning the Dalai Lama, who wrote that?

Certainly the Dalai Lama has been questioned by many people regarding the ban, he just chose to ignore them.

As for your logic about examining the Guru beforehand, your thoughts are inconsistent here. I'm sure many people examined the Dalai Lama (I know some) beforehand, yet now look at the situation.