Author Topic: Abbot betrays his own monastery  (Read 9144 times)

DharmaDefender

Re: Abbot betrays his own monastery
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 07:26:45 AM »
I would hesitate to criticise monks (and there are many Im not too fond of). Whilst some of them might not be the best at upholdign their vows, I think we need to bear a few things in mind before we launch into the vitriolic tirades of the past. First, that they took vows and we didnt and no matter how much you want to criticise their actions, you are still criticising people who held the vinaya for some time. Second, theres already enough schism going around, and it draws people away from the Dharma. Do we really want to keep airing our dirty laundry to those whose minds are not stable, so that they are shaken away from the path?

Third, if you want to criticise the abbot for selling such precious items, think about the karmic results for you. Obv Geshelas karma has already caught up with him but do we really need to create karma for ourselves when weve already so much of our own to deal with?

And lastly, dont get so attached. Sure these items are extremely holy and blessed and sacred, and of course you ought never to sell them, but to keep them as objects of refuge and faith. However has everyone forgotten the Heart Sutra? Form is emptiness, emptiness is form - whats more precious, a bead or the precious jewel of Buddhadharma that your teacher transmits to you everyday?

Galen

• Email
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »
For an abbot to betray his own monastery is really bad karma. On top of that, he even sold statues belonging to the monastery. Even more bad karma. This way he has really betrayed the dharma, his monastery and ultimately broken his samaya with his guru. It is really sad to hear this happened.

People have moved on and whatever that needs to happen has happened. I have also been to Phagyeling Monastery in Nepal a couple of years ago and has the opportunity to meet the sangha members there. They are friendly and they even showed me their precious statues that were brought out from Tibet during the invasion. May they be blessed always.

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 03:58:19 AM »
I heard of this some time back when I was in Nepal. I wanted to visit the monastery but was advised against doing so and that's when the locals told me of this incident. I find this post informative, it's related to Dorje Shugden and how the CTA pressured the monks to give up their Dorje Shugden practice.

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/an-abbot-betrays-his-own/