Author Topic: The Tail Wagging The Dog  (Read 5956 times)

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
The Tail Wagging The Dog
« on: February 02, 2013, 07:57:59 AM »
If there is one thing the Tibetan government in exile (CTA) have mastered, it is in deviously leveraging on the goodwill of other nations and make them fight the Tibetan cause, never mind the fact that the Tibetans themselves are not sure what the Tibetan cause is.

Here is an article I found in Phayul.com where Lobsang Sangay is again applying pressure on India to fight the CTA's battle with China on its behalf, just like the it did the United States and other western powers for decades. What is amazing is how the Indian government continues to put up with the tail wagging the dog syndrome and instead of buying further into the CTA's poor me stories, India should take stock of what the CTA has done for the Indian community and India's reputation as seen by other democratic countries. As if India does not have its own fair share of unresolved issues with China, the Tibet question is another burden that Indian has had to carry and often without the help of the CTA. In fact the attitude of the CTA makes it very dangerous for India to keep risking its relationship with a fellow Asian giant, with whom India is better off making friends, especially given the many unresolved border issues that India is facing such as its standoff with Pakistan and Kashmir.

Lobsang Sangay claims that Tibetan "democracy" is a replication of India's democracy. How can that be when India's Constitution and law forbids it to interfere with religious matters and yet in the world over, the CTA remains the only "nation" that claims to be democratic but suppresses religion freedom with its ban on the Dorje Shugden worship. India is a true democracy and the CTA is not and for India to allow the CTA to claim that its government is modeled against India's democratic respect of human rights, is to diminish the rule of law in India and its culture of respect for other religions.

The Tibetans government's lack of respect for the law is infectious and corruptive. This is clearly seen in how Tibetan influence have been allowed to infiltrate Indian politics via the Karmapa issue to the point where the supposedly democratic government of India allows the Sikkimese government to act as the Tai Situpa's henchmen to drive out the lawful (by Indian law) occupants of Rumtek Monastery. Tai Situpa is known for his anti-Indian activities and yet he is well supported by the CTA.

As for Kirti Rinpoche's statement that India should assist Tibet because Tibet is India's neighbour, I wonder of that same logic applies if China comes to Pakistan's aid in opposition to India because Pakistan is China's neighbour?

India owes nothing to the CTA. The contrary applies and if the CTA has an ounce of gratitude, it should not embarrass India any longer and tarnish its reputation by conducting religious persecutions on Indian soil. As to why India allows the CTA to keep manipulating it is anyone guess. Strange things happen on country roads, I guess.

Sikyong and China experts Discuss Tibet Situation and Implications at India International Centre
January 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Sikyong Dr Lobsang Sangay and other speakers at the panel discussion at the India international Centre, New Delhi on 31 January 2013. (Photo/Tibet Museum)

India should make Tibet issue a core issue with China

NEW DELHi: Sikyong Dr Lobsang Sangay and noted China experts Shri Lalit Mansingh, former foreign secretary of India and Shri Jayadeva Ranade, former additional secretary of the Indian Government as well as Kirti Rinpoche, the head lama of Kirti monastery, Dharamshala, discussed Tibet at a seminar at the India International Centre, New Delhi.

The Seminar titled “Tibet: Current Situation And Its implications For China and India” was organized by the Gandhi Peace Foundation and was moderated by Mr Karma Choephel, former speaker and current member of the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile.

Speaking at the seminar, Sikyong Dr Lobsang Sangay said “Historically,Tibet was an independent country serving as a buffer between India and China. So whatever happens in Tibet today, has implications on both the sides”.

Sikyong Dr Sangay said the border dispute between India and China along the McMohan Line remains unresolved primarily because of the issue of Tibet. The Shimla Agreement, on the basis of which the McMohan Line was demarcated as the border between India and Tibet, was signed between British India and Independent Tibet in 1914. Therefore, if McMohan line is the preferred border for India, then the signatories vis-a-vis Tibet, has to be recognized, the Sikyong said.

He also said that Tibet is a test for the world as well as India and China because Tibetan democracy is, more or less, a replication of Indian democracy. Moreover, the Tibetan struggle is a non-violent struggle and if the world wouldn’t support it, it would send a mixed message, he said.

The distortion of historical facts by China by demarcating and re-demarcating Tibetan areas and imposing severe repression in Tibet is not the answer. Solving the Tibetan issue peacefully by restoring the dignity of Tibetans and safeguarding the Tibetan identity will be the beginning of moderation of China, the Sikyong asserted.

Ven. Kirti Rinpoche and Shri Lalit Mansingh at the panel discussion on 31 January 2013. Also seen Additional secretary Tashi Phuntsok of DIIR, Central Tibetan Administration. (Photo/ Tibet Museum)
Venerable Kirti Rinpoche, the head lama of Kirti monasteries, where most of the Tibetan self immolations have taken place since 2009 spoke about the reasons why Tibetans are resorting to self-immolations. He said, self-immolations are taking place in Tibet because of the failed policies of the Chinese government.

The Chinese government, instead of addressing the genuine grievances of the Tibetan people are blaming the Dalai Lama and outside forces for the self-immolations in Tibet. Chinese authorities are further rounding up Tibetans, falsely accusing them of instigating self-immolations in Tibet, he said. At the time of seminar, he received information that of the  two Tibetans arrested recently, one was sentenced to death while the other sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Kirti Rinpoche also said that since Tibet and India are historical neighbors, it is the duty of India to take the responsibility of a good neighbor and help Tibet in its time of need.

Shri Lalit Mansingh, former Foreign Secretary of India talked about the recent developments in the three most important countries, namely China, India and the United States.

He said, in China, the leadership that has remained in power for the last 10 years has changed. As for India, The ancient traditions of India has been preserved by the Tibetans in the form of Buddhism and it is time to repay the Tibetans for this by by making the Tibet issue a core issue with China. And as for the United states, it had initially helped the Tibetans by secretly arming Tibetan guerillas but as the cold war progressed, their priorities changed and resorted to real politicking, he said.

He added, “What is happening in Tibet is like a volcano, ready to erupt. It can explode anytime when nobody is expecting it, which is why we need to understand what goes on in Tibet.”

The last speaker on the panel, Jayadeva Ranade, former Additional Secretary of the Indian government, spoke abut the recent developments in China. He said, leading Chinese government think-tank, The Chinese Academy of Social Science, has warned the Chinese government that the Chinese public are losing confidence in the party with growing views that party cadres are in league with businessmen.

He said, this growing dissatisfaction inside China has resulted in more than 180,000 protests across China.

He also said that he does not believe in the perception that China’s new leader Xi Jinping will be soft on the Tibetans. He cited the reason that Xi Jinping’s father himself was a victim of the cultural revolution but he went on to join the party which proves his belief in communism and assertion to the party line.

The panel discussion was followed by a question and answer session where questions on Tibet’s demands from China as well as India’s role in the Tibetan issue with China was discussed.

Press contacts:

Ms. Youdon Aukatsang, TPIE member, 0-9999915061

Ms. Dhardon Sharling, TPIE member, 0- 9810847905

Mr. Tashi Phuntsok, Additional Secretary, DIIR: 0-9816539103

Mr. Tenzin Lekshay, Media officer, Delhi Bureau office, 0-9811422930
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:36:00 AM by vajratruth »

Ensapa

• Email
Re: The Tail Wagging The Dog
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
oh my. this is ridiculous indeed. the CTA has been a recipient of the kindness of the Indian government for so many decades and now they are demanding India to fight their battles for them? Such ungratefulness and such insolence! News of how the CTA show respect for India is far and rare in between and it is usually the Dalai Lama that would do the PR work to thank India again and again and speak about India in a favorable manner. CTA just sits back and not improve and now they even go and demand their gracious host to help them fight their battles. I find this absurdly stupid in more ways than one. It is only a matter of time before India gets angered and clamps down on them.

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:27:47 AM »
I wrote a comment and it disappeared just now. I have to re-write that comment again now. What I was saying is that this is really good reasoning for why India shouldn't get involve with the Tibetan cause although it is already doing that by being hosts to the Tibetan community. I think that Tibet is doing to much by asking India to fight for its cause for simply being a neighbor.  I think that the Tibetans have to do much more than that. India owes nothing to the Tibetans but the Tibetan owe everything to the Indians for giving them refuge when their homeland were taken over by the Chinese.

Instead of being grateful, there are some Tibetans that are askin India to assist them in their quest for a free Tibet? India has much more pressing issues to deal with than deal with something that can potentially spark confrontations with China. This confrontation will be even more dangerous on the economic front. India has a lot of its own issues like poverty, economics, the recent high profile rape cases and much more to deal with. It is already pretty obvious that no nation on earth would directly want to be at loggerheads with China on this issue.

Therefore, it would be wiser for the Tibetan leaders to employ a more revolutionary stance and that is to make friends with China. I thought that the ideas as detailed in the Operation Make Friends (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/operation-make-friends/)  was reasonable and within the capability of the Tibetan leaders to employ. It is fresh and different from what they have been use to. What harm can come from trying something different instead.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
I wrote a comment and it disappeared just now. I have to re-write that comment again now. What I was saying is that this is really good reasoning for why India shouldn't get involve with the Tibetan cause although it is already doing that by being hosts to the Tibetan community. I think that Tibet is doing to much by asking India to fight for its cause for simply being a neighbor.  I think that the Tibetans have to do much more than that. India owes nothing to the Tibetans but the Tibetan owe everything to the Indians for giving them refuge when their homeland were taken over by the Chinese.

Instead of being grateful, there are some Tibetans that are askin India to assist them in their quest for a free Tibet? India has much more pressing issues to deal with than deal with something that can potentially spark confrontations with China. This confrontation will be even more dangerous on the economic front. India has a lot of its own issues like poverty, economics, the recent high profile rape cases and much more to deal with. It is already pretty obvious that no nation on earth would directly want to be at loggerheads with China on this issue.

Therefore, it would be wiser for the Tibetan leaders to employ a more revolutionary stance and that is to make friends with China. I thought that the ideas as detailed in the Operation Make Friends (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/operation-make-friends/)  was reasonable and within the capability of the Tibetan leaders to employ. It is fresh and different from what they have been use to. What harm can come from trying something different instead.

I doubt India would give in or listen to CTA because India is a real country, CTA is not. India has hosted the CTA out of goodwill and CTA is taking advantage of it and even demand more from them that would potentially be disastrous for India economically (when China cuts off some supplies to them or something like that) and it seems that CTA does not care or take into account these things at all. CTA just wants their own objective filled even if it will cause disasters to their kind hosts. CTA is indeed asking for too much from India when they have not even contributed anything back to India and they dare ask some more. CTA should make peace with China but for now, they could start by making peace with Dorje Shugden as he is already very established in Tibet.

Dulzie Bear

• Like the moon appearing from behind a cloud...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »

What is quite funny is that CTA has only begun to put pressure on India to take up its cause after it became clear that the US and Western nations will not. I shared with an Indian friend this post and he remarked whether it has occurred to anyone that Tibetans are no where to be seen whenever India experiences a catastrophe? Apparently there wasn't s single Tibetan present to help with the Latur earthquake, or assist victims in the 2005 tsunami, or during any of the dozens of floods and droughts that India experiences regularly. the CTA has never bothered to send aid. And even then the Tibetan government in exile receives an annual grant from the Indian government to help its people.

As vajratruth pointed out, when it came down to the crunch, the Dalai Lama and CTA chose the pro-Chinese Karmapa over the Indian-preferred one, showing such insensitivity towards India's concern over the Sikkim issue. How can the CTA ask for more? I wonder how the average Indian citizen feels about having to carry the Tibetan burden?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:22:54 AM »
The ungratefulness of the CTA and how self centered and how self absorbed they are is now on full display. I mean, the US and all would obviously just say that they want to help and all the lip service, but who can actually do anything to China? The US cant say that they can sanction Chinese goods because China is just too self sufficient for them to be able to do that. What else can anyone do to make China cough Tibet back out for CTA? Even if China extends their hand to the Dalai Lama, I would not want CTA to take over Tibet. They cant even manage themselves efficiently in Dharamsala, what more of such a huge number of people? How can a self absorbed government serve the people? they only serve themselves.

kris

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »
India has given so much to CTA: places and lands for settlement, protection from China since 1959, etc. Has CTA ever asked "What have I given to India? What I can give to India?"

They seem like they have forgotten Generosity as one of the six paramitas. Though CTA is on "exile", there are still many things they can help.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:03:55 AM »
India has given so much to CTA: places and lands for settlement, protection from China since 1959, etc. Has CTA ever asked "What have I given to India? What I can give to India?"

They seem like they have forgotten Generosity as one of the six paramitas. Though CTA is on "exile", there are still many things they can help.

Like developing Dharamsala and also building more hospitals and schools so that the people of the neighboring villages can actually benefit from them. But so far, any school or hospital that happened came from the Dalai Lama's instructions, or it was built and sponsored by other charity groups (that are probably westerners who are compelled by their plight) and it did not really come from the CTA themselves. But CTA has never really did anything to help. They're just too engrossed in their own things until nothing else matters. The ban on Dorje Shugden could create a chain reaction with the neighboring indian communities who might find it an example to start a ban on certain Hindu deities from their community....so it is best that the CTA work to eradicate it or keep it very low key.