Author Topic: What can we DO??  (Read 7865 times)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
What can we DO??
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »
I started this topic with the hope of generating some ideas about how to be more proactive concerning this issue.
Maybe we can brainstorm and generate some practical plans for more direct action.

Here are a few of the obvious ideas that immediately come to mind:

1-Keep commitments and vows relating to our protector.
2-Represent our lineage well by guarding your three doors.
3-Share with others, when appropriate, the vast benefits you have recieved from having a relationship with our protector.
4-Share with others the many good qualities of your Teacher/Teachers.
5-If you are quaified and ready; do the various retreats and pujas so that you are able to then pass the practices on to others.
6-Come out of the closet as a Dorje Shugden practitioner. (This is not possible for everyone, but I think it will help break down the cylce of suspicion.)
7-Sponsor a monk at one of the great monasteries.
8-Sponsor the Shar Gaden World Peace Tour to come to your city.
9-Become a pen-pal with a monk living at Shar Gaden. :)
10-Visit one of the great monasteries of our lineage.
11-Sponsor a puja at one of the great monasteries.
12-Get involved and support the various online activities of the monks and the great monasteries. (Facebook, websites, blogs etc.)
13-Stand in unity with others who have a relationship with our protector, regardless of differing views and tactics. United we stand, Divided we fall.

lightning

Re: What can we DO??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »
I am supportive of your ideas ;D

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 09:24:25 PM »
Dear Tenzin Sungrab,

I like your proposal very much. It is logical, positive and proactive.

United we stand, Divided we fall indeed. This is universally applicable and if everyone can think like you - the world would be a better place. I was thinking what to add to your list, perhaps that we learn the history and benefits of the practice in order to better share.

However, your list is quite comprehensive already and if we can even achieve what you have listed, i strongly feel that this would create the cause for Dorje Shugden's practice to become more widespread and mainstream.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaDefender

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »
I started this topic with the hope of generating some ideas about how to be more proactive concerning this issue.
Maybe we can brainstorm and generate some practical plans for more direct action.

3-Share with others, when appropriate, the vast benefits you have recieved from having a relationship with our protector.
5-If you are quaified and ready; do the various retreats and pujas so that you are able to then pass the practices on to others.
6-Come out of the closet as a Dorje Shugden practitioner. (This is not possible for everyone, but I think it will help break down the cylce of suspicion.)
12-Get involved and support the various online activities of the monks and the great monasteries. (Facebook, websites, blogs etc.)
13-Stand in unity with others who have a relationship with our protector, regardless of differing views and tactics. United we stand, Divided we fall.

I would like to add (or perhaps this goes without saying), to uphold the vows and practices given to us by our lamas. I think that first and foremost, that should be our priority because without our lamas, everything else as you've kindly suggested, is not possible. Commitment to our guru springs to mind because I've been reading the 50 stanzas and I quote from the commentary:

If your Guru acts in a seemingly unenlightened manner and you feel it would be hypocritical to think him a Buddha, you should remember that your own opinions are unreliable and the apparent faults you see many only be a reflection of your own deluded state of mind. Also, you should think that if your Guru acted in a completely perfect manner, he would be inaccessible and you would be unable to relate to him. It is therefore out of your Guru's great compassion that he may show apparent flaws. This is part of his use of skilful means in order for him to be able to teach you. He is mirroring your own faults; therefore check within and learn from him how to remove your shortcomings. If you are only intent on criticizing your Guru, you will never be able to benefit from him.

I think this applies when we look at all gurus, and also upholds the spirit of this forum. Keeping this teaching in mind helps with #4 - "Share with others the many good qualities of your Teacher/Teachers" - how likely are people to agree with the good qualities of your teacher/teachers if you're so busy talking about the negative in others? What kind of reflection is that on the effect of your lama's teachings and methods?

Also, I like your idea of #6, particularly because it was substantiated with a reasonable statement "This is not possible for everyone, but I think it will help break down the cylce of suspicion." - I do think that it's true, it will help to break down the cycle of suspicion because there's so much lack of clarity...people are amazing at muddying waters.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:36:36 AM »
Thank you for the post, Tenzin Sungrab. It's short, but very logical and concise.

I agree with DharmaDefender in him/her saying that, having to "uphold the vows and practices given to us by our lamas", should be first and foremost on the list. Like he/she says, without our Lamas, everything that you have kindly suggested would not be possible.

Perhaps it's because you see your Guru/Lama and your protector as one, that it's on the top of your list as 'protector'?
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Regarding #3, would you like to share with us the benefits that you have received from your protector? (If it's not too private, of course). I'd just like to hear how DS has helped you. You seem to be doing such wonderful things with the monks at Shar Gaden, I trust that DS has cleared many obstacles for you to be there (if you're there).

honeydakini

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:58:02 AM »
Thank you Tenzin Sungrab – I think this is a wonderful step in the right direction, similar to the thread “even handed information” that was started by TK. It is good to get some balance to the situation and look at the positive instead.

I echo what has already been said by both DharmaDefender and Jess about keeping our vows and commitments.

I think it’s great that you list includes both spiritual aspects – holding our vows, representing the lineage well – as well as the “worldly”, more secular things that we can also do – facebook, websites etc. It is heartening to see how there isn’t such a big divide between the secular and spiritual when we have a strong motivation to bring Dharma to others in whatever methods may suit them.

May also suggest to add to the list that we should also strive to be strong practitioners of the Lamrim and all that Je Tsongkhapa has taught. After all, this is what our Protector always encourages us to practice and if we wish to inspire others onto the path, we should be practising exactly what we are encouraging them to join.

Thank you TS – you are an inspiration and your post is also making me look at what I’m doing (or not doing) to protect the lineage and practice. I believe all of us here – whatever differing views we might have – are united in our strong faith in our protector, as you have highlighted in point #13. Can we focus on that very strong similarity between all of us, instead of the differences?

pgdharma

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »
Thank you TS for your advice which has some similarity posted by TK on Even Handed Information.
I like what you said regarding keeping commitments and vows relating to our protector. This is what dharma practice is all about. One needs to trust and have a clean samaya with one’s Guru to enable one’s spiritual practice to go.
The threads that you posted are very refreshing and informative and not political. I believe that your protector had helped you in many ways to clear your obstacles as can be seen from your many actions in helping Shar Gaden. Perhaps this is the right way to repay the kindness of the protector.

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:34:20 PM »
I know this is repetitive but I would like to reiterate the importance and privilege that we have to uphold our commitments and vows related to our Protector. Many times, when I get lazy and consider skipping a sadhana or other Dharma tasks (oops, confession time!!!), I think to myself about all the other frivolous secular commitments that I can “uphold”. Thinking: “if I can stay up for samsara, if I can be sick for samsara, if I can be tired for samsara” I must certainly be all that for the Dharma and for my Protector. If there is anything worth doing anything for, it is Dorje Shugden and the Dharma as they have been by us through thick and thin lifetime after lifetime and they reveal the path to liberation.

Thank you Tenzin Sungrab for this kind sharing and reminder about what we CAN do for our Great King.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 01:57:05 AM »

Thank you Tenzin Sungrab for sharing. I think apart from our inner practice of no. 1 & 2 which we should uphold all the time,  what you have shared below are very practical & easy steps that we can do, especially on this forum:

I also think this website has provide a platform for us to do no. 12 & 13 below. We should really do no. 12 & add each other on Facebook etc and build a strong community together. 

And of course, nothing beats working DIRECTLY to support the lineage and practice like what you did - volunteering at a Shugden monastery and help the monks grow in skills and knowledge! Thank you for your good work and keep it up!

:)