Author Topic: Dalai Lama appoints new Gaden Tripa  (Read 6801 times)

TARA

Dalai Lama appoints new Gaden Tripa
« on: June 30, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
News from Phayul.com
By Tenzin Monlam
[Sunday, June 25, 2017 21:54]
DHARAMSHALA

The Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama has appointed the new Ganden Tripa, the highest leader of the Geluk school of Tibetan Buddhism.

Jangtse Choejey Kyabje Jetsun Lobsang Tenzin Palsangpo is the new Ganden Tripa, or the Holder of the Ganden Throne a position that has been left vacant since the demise of the previous Ganden Tripa H.E. Jetsun Lobsang Tenzin Rinpoche in April.

The new Ganden Tripa, Jangtse Choejey Kyabje Jetsun Lobsang Tenzin Palsangpo. 25 June 2017.

The news was first broken by Tibet.net, the official website of the exile Tibetan government, which quoted Ven. Atuk Tseten and Ven. Gowo Lobsang Phendey who are members of the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile representing the Gelug constituency. Kyabje Jetsun Lobsang Tenzin Palsangpo becomes the 104th Gaden Tripa.

The new Ganden Tripa was born in Tibet in 1934 and was ordained as a monk at the age of seven. Following China’s occupation of Tibet, he escaped into exile and joined Sera Je Monastery in South India. In 1979, Lobsang Tenzin Palsangpo received his Geshe Lharampa degree, the highest academic honour in Gelugpa School.

He assumed many responsibilities in some of the major monasteries in India and abroad. In 2010, he was appointed the Jangtse Choeje.

The tenure of Gaden Tripa is seven years and the appointment is based on scholarly merit and is not a reincarnation lineage.

Belinda Mae

Re: Dalai Lama appoints new Gaden Tripa
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:07:32 AM »
I was just wondering if the newly appointed Gaden Tripa by H.H. 14th Dalai Lama is a Dorje Shugden practitioner or not.  If yes, what will other people say? They find what is said will be contradicting to the ban.

grandmapele

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
I always thought the seat of the Gaden Tripa was an elected one and not something for the Dalai Lama to appoint. The election is supposed to be based on merit and the Dalai Lama merely confirms the result.

As much as I understand it, the seat of the Gaden Tripa is as spiritual head of the Gelug school and is not for the political head to appoint. Just confused, that's all. Anyone can enlighten on this matter.

dsnowlion

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
I always thought the seat of the Gaden Tripa was an elected one and not something for the Dalai Lama to appoint. The election is supposed to be based on merit and the Dalai Lama merely confirms the result.

As much as I understand it, the seat of the Gaden Tripa is as spiritual head of the Gelug school and is not for the political head to appoint. Just confused, that's all. Anyone can enlighten on this matter.

That is a very good point grandmapele! Again where is the so called democracy? Suppose to have an election and then Dalai Lama gives his blessing? It seems like EVERYTHING is being appointed by the Dalai Lama. That is like changing Lama Tsongkhapa's entire tradition and NO ONE can say anything.

Well, I just hope this Gaden Tripa does not get pulled into politics and starts talking negatively about Dorje Shugden like the previous Gaden Tripa that died after sitting on the throne in 5 months! I hope this Gaden Tripa will be spiritual and focuses on Dharma and would lead by kindness, wisdom and compassion, which should not encourage schism, criticism of other faiths and discrimination. Because that is not Dharma and certainly not how a spiritual leader should be doing.

I tried finding out who is this Gaden Tripa's Gurus, from there we could guess whether he is a Dorje Shugden practitioner or not. Does anyone know? Interesting.

pemachen

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:21:56 PM »

The Ganden Tripa is an automatic appointment occurring once every 7 years, from one of two Chojeys (Sharpa Chojey or Jangtse Chojey) or Dharma Masters, on an alternating basis. Sharpa Chojey is the former abbot of Gyütö, while Jangtse Chojey is the former abbot of Gyümé. When a Ganden Tripa steps down or passed away, one of the two Chojeys is elevated. If the retiring Ganden Tripa is a (former) Sharpa Chojey, his replacement will be the current Jangtse Chojey (and vice versa).

It is not an elected position, as in voted in. This appointment is automatic but is confirmed by the Dalai Lama who, being the pre-eminent spiritual leader, publicly announces the appointment or nomination at the time of changeover.

Rowntree

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »
I agree too with Pemachen. The position is almost automatic as the system is setup as such. However, one would think that the Dalai Lama is capable of confirming a qualified one but it was not the case with the previous one who passed away in less than a year and got really sick when he ascended to the throne. Most of the Gaden Tripas especially the last 7 including Kyabje Ling Rinpoche who was in the position for two terms (14 years), the previous one doesn't seem to have the merits to hold such sacred position but confirmed by the Dalai Lama to the role. I have attached a comparison for your reference.

Richardlaktam

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 06:40:16 PM »
To be a Gaden Tripa, as a throne holder of Gelug must have a lot of merit to hold the position for the whole 7 years, which is one term of being Gaden Tripa. Yes, it'll be interesting to know who is the the Guru of the current Gaden Tripa, so that we can know whether he is a Dorje Shugden practitioners or not. But whether he is a DS practitioner or not, let's hope the current Gaden Tripa can hold his throne for one whole term. Which is 7 years. It is because it's said that its very inauspicious if a Gaden Tripa pass on to light or can't finish his 1 term as the service as Gaden Trip. Let's hope the current Gaden Tripa can fulfil his one full term.

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »
I was just wondering if the newly appointed Gaden Tripa by H.H. 14th Dalai Lama is a Dorje Shugden practitioner or not.  If yes, what will other people say? They find what is said will be contradicting to the ban.

To be honest, I think it does not matter if the Gaden Tripa is a DS practitioner or not. It is whether he politicise the DS issue by saying something bad about DS or not. Definitely the Dalai Lama would not pick a DS practitioner to be appointed as the Gaden Tripa. This is for sure unless he practices in secret. I believe the previous Gaden Tripa was not a practitioner but he was known to be vocal about his criticism against the practice, which is very bad and he could not finish his term. The Gaden Tripa before that was not a practitioner but he said nothing about DS and that is good. He finished his term successfully and collected the merits for doing so.

christine V

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »

To be honest, I think it does not matter if the Gaden Tripa is a DS practitioner or not. It is whether he politicise the DS issue by saying something bad about DS or not. Definitely the Dalai Lama would not pick a DS practitioner to be appointed as the Gaden Tripa. This is for sure unless he practices in secret. I believe the previous Gaden Tripa was not a practitioner but he was known to be vocal about his criticism against the practice, which is very bad and he could not finish his term. The Gaden Tripa before that was not a practitioner but he said nothing about DS and that is good. He finished his term successfully and collected the merits for doing so.

I do agreed on Big Uncle. Whether it is Dorje Shugden practitioner or not is not important. As a monk or a Buddhist, to even criticize another sangha and causing split the sangha is consider schism.    

Matibhadra

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
The Gaden Tripa before that was not a practitioner but he said nothing about DS and that is good.

That a Ganden Tripa did not say anything while a witch-hunt rages amongst Gelugpas is a testament to the evil dalie's oppressive, anti-Buddhistic tyranny.

Therefore, Buddhists and freedom lovers in general, both Tibetan and non-Tibetan, want the evil dalie the sooner the better where he belongs, the garbage bin of history.

PrajNa

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 02:17:36 AM »

That a Ganden Tripa did not say anything while a witch-hunt rages amongst Gelugpas is a testament to the evil dalie's oppressive, anti-Buddhistic tyranny.

Therefore, Buddhists and freedom lovers in general, both Tibetan and non-Tibetan, want the evil dalie the sooner the better where he belongs, the garbage bin of history.

If a Gaden Tripa wishes to remain a Gaden Tripa, then I think he cant say anything  8) 

Please do not say that both Tibetan and non-Tibetan, "want the evil dalie the sooner the better where he belongs".  I think most people would want the ban to end and no harm done to anyone.

Matibhadra

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 02:28:32 AM »
If a Gaden Tripa wishes to remain a Gaden Tripa, then I think he cant say anything

Which is a testament to the evil dalie's oppressive, anti-Buddhistic tyranny.

Please do not say that both Tibetan and non-Tibetan, "want the evil dalie the sooner the better where he belongs".

I said “Buddhists and freedom lovers in general, both Tibetan and non-Tibetan”. Of course I didn't mean to include you.

I think most people would want the ban to end and no harm done to anyone.

Which is only possible with the evil dalie placed where he belongs, the garbage bin of history.