Author Topic: Interesting Pehar thangka with the 3 Longevity Deities  (Read 3428 times)

Ringo Starr

• Email
Interesting Pehar thangka with the 3 Longevity Deities
« on: November 02, 2016, 04:15:21 PM »
The protector Pehar with the Three Deities of Longevity in the upper
register, accompanied by Padmasambhava (top left) and Green T?r? (top
right). 18th c. 44.45x31.75cm. Ground Mineral Pigment on Cotton. Courtesy
of the Rubin Museum of Art (acc.# P1999.7.1).

Page 398
Matthew T. Kapstein
Selected Articles on Tibetan Religion
During the 18th-19th Centuries

grandmapele

Re: Interesting Pehar thangka with the 3 Longevity Deities
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 06:09:56 AM »
Agreed, it is very interesting. At a glance, I thought it was Dorje Shugden with the domed hat. But after careful scrutiny, it is indeed Pehar. The thangka is very elaborate and old but still beautiful. The artist did a very good job  with the thangka as Buddha Shakyamuni is still clear and so is Guru Rinpoche. As for the longevity deities as stated by the curator of Rubin museum of Art, from the left of the thangka to the right, it is probably Green Tara, Namgyalma and White Tara.

When you have a really serious problem, such as a life-threatening disease, if you rely upon Tara, very commonly you will be freed from that problem; you will recover from that disease. If you eat poison, if you rely upon Tara, the poison will not harm you. - http://www.insightstate.com/video/green-tara-mantra-om-tare-tuttare-ture-soha/

The practice of Namgyälma removes obstacles to long life and brings powerful purification for all sentient beings. Even just reciting the Namgyälma mantra brings unimaginable benefit. Namgyälma pujas and practice help those with very severe disease. - http://shop.fpmt.org/Practices-of-Namgyalma-_p_687.html

“White Tara is particularly associated with healing, protecting and stabilizing your life-force.” Gelek Rimpoche -http://buddhaweekly.com/swift-healing-white-tara-rapid-path-long-life-merit-wisdom-health/

But, what is the significance of having all these deities in the same thangka as Pehar?

grandmapele

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 03:30:01 PM »
oh, my mistake on the thangka. The Buddhas above the central figure of Pehar, from left to right are Guru Rinpoche, White Tara, Amitayus, Namgyalma, Green Tara.

But i have yet to find the real significance of the Buddhas of Longevity together with Pehar on this thangka.
Anyone can help?

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
Grandmapele, thank you for your explanation and links on the long life deities and their specific healing properties. I am also curious to find out the significance of having Pehar together with the long live deities in this Thangka. The domed hat is traditionally a traveling Tibetan Lama's hat, so I reckon there would be many other deities depicted having a domed hat too.

grandmapele

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »
Tenzin Malgyur, I was confused when i first saw the thangka with Pehar. At a glance I thought it was Dorje Shugden but upon close examination of the iconography, it was as stated that of Pehar. That is why it is important for us to study the iconography of the deities.

Dorje Shugden holds a sword in his right hand, and a heart jewel in his left. He wears Tiger Skin Boots. And, he has 2 arms. He wears monk robes and a domed hat. - http://www.dorjeshugden.com/introduction/appearance/appearance/

So, though i wasn't sure of the identity and had to rely on the explanations accompanying the thangka. But, it was clear, to me at least, that it was not Dorje Shugden.