Author Topic: A real HERO showing Gratitude  (Read 8862 times)

DS Star

A real HERO showing Gratitude
« on: June 01, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »
NBA's 2013/14  Most Valuable Player of the Year Kevin Durant gave the most touching acceptance speech where he thanked his family, team-mates and above all, his mother.

Small | Large

Kevin Durant is a hero in his own way for over-coming all the difficulties in life and transformed it into a force for his success. And Durant is humble enough to acknowledge that all his success is not possible without his loved ones' supports. He shows his gratitude for the kindness he received from these people.

Indeed, showing gratitude is a virtue of a real hero. He is the man...

“You have no cause for anything but gratitude and joy.” ~The Buddha

cookie

• Email
Re: A real HERO showing Gratitude
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »
I agree that showing gratitude is a very rare thing . Most people are so focused on self that they believe that they achieved everything on their own accord without the help of others. Or they continue to pursue their lives totally forgetting all those that have assisted them in one way or another. We come to this world totally naked helpless and alone. Hence there would have been tonnes of people that have gone out of their way to assist us to get to where we are today. Always be humble and have gratitude to these people. It would bring great peace to oneself to always think this way !

RedLantern

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »

The Buddha spoke of the importance of gratitude, a close cousin of compassion. Practicing gratitude promotes happiness,contentment and good health.
It is tough to deny the power of gratitude when an extensive body of research supports it's health and well-benefits.When we feel true gratitude ,whether toward a particular people or toward life,loving kindness will flow from us naturally. Great heroes,don't brag!

Klein

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:53:23 AM »
This is a brief article about the importance of gratitude from www.existentialbuddhist.com. Being grateful does help in alleviating our negative emotions and in focusing on cherishing what we have. When we are grateful, we feel more at peace.

“Monks, I will teach you the level of a person of no integrity and the level of a person of integrity. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak.”

“As you say, lord,” the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, “Now what is the level of a person of no integrity? A person of no integrity is ungrateful & unthankful. This ingratitude, this lack of thankfulness, is advocated by rude people. It is entirely on the level of people of no integrity. A person of integrity is grateful & thankful. This gratitude, this thankfulness, is advocated by civil people. It is entirely on the level of people of integrity  -  Kataññu Sutta

Gratitude is an antidote for the poisons of greed, jealousy, resentment, and grief.  When we are grateful we do not wish for more than we have, but appreciate that which is already present in our lives.  We do not chafe at the good fortune of others, or resent or mourn that which is missed, lost, gone, or never had.  The desire for more can be boundless and endless.  There is always one more thing to want.

Acceptance and gratitude are feelings that can occur spontaneously, but they are also attitudes that can be cultivated.  The more space we make for them in our lives, the more we practice them, the less room there is for mental poisons to take root.

Can we be grateful in this moment that we have this human life to cultivate and develop?  That we live in a time and place where we can hear and study the dharma?  Can we be grateful for the earth that holds us up, the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food that nourishes us?   Can we be grateful for the presence in our lives of people who love us, and people that we love?  Can we be grateful that, whatever ailments afflict us, we are still able to breathe and think and move?   Can we be grateful that, whatever financial reverses we may have suffered, we still have shelter, clothing, and food to eat?  Can we be grateful for our parents who gave us life and kept us alive through childhood, who fed and clothed us, who cared for us when we were ill?

As you try to cultivate gratitude for what is present, do resistances arise?  The “yes, buts” and “if onlys?”  Yes, but my parents were self-absorbed, judgmental, controlling… If only I were thinner, richer, healthier, younger… Let the resistances arise, observing them without pushing them aside, without amplification, without judgment.  Do they persist or dissolve?  What’s possible in this very moment?

What’s it like to be grateful when you have cancer?  When you are incarcerated?  When you are unemployed?   Can we be grateful and appreciative no matter what?  In practice we “open the hand of thought” and let the story line become permeable, transparent.   We let the world shine through.

“Continuous practice, day after day, is the most appropriate way of expressing gratitude. This means that you practice continuously, without wasting a single day of your life, without using it for your own sake. Why is it so? Your life is a fortunate outcome of the continuous practice of the past. You should express your gratitude immediately.”  – Dogen (Kazuako Tanahashi, trans.)

X

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »
Kevin Durant is definitely a HERO! It is a really touching video, I definitely feel something inside after watching. I respect him for being so humble and appreciate everything others do for him. He is a role model for all of us. A lot of us actually forget about the good things people done to us. But Kevin Durant remember it all, he keep it close in his heart. There is one thing this video reminds me is that I must always remember how much my parents have done for me, and one day I will show gratitude towards them, repay their kindness.