Author Topic: Shaving heads  (Read 22963 times)

dharmacrazy79

• Email
Re: Shaving heads
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »
Humans are said to be living in the desire realm. We are driven by our desire and the ultimate desire is that of sexual desire. Hair in many cultures, including the Islam religion is considered the symbol of beauty that fuels sexual desire. Therefore, i believe shaving the hair is a method to remove a means to ignite sexual desire and protect us from breaking one of our 10 refuge vows.

Additionally, shaving also another method to removes the attachment we have towards our "I". This is a basic, tangible and powerful way to redirect our focus away from ourselves towards others, which is the fundamental of Dharma practice: benefitting all sentient beings. This can expand into equanimity because the person we separate most from other and cherish as most dear is the "I".

The wisdom, compassion and multitude of benefit every method taught in the Dharma never fail to awe me. 

diablo1974

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 07:12:02 AM »
Hair has the analogy of roots of all problems and obstacles to enlightenment. If we enter monk and nun hood, it symbolises our cutting off from these problems because we are sheltered by the triple gems. We seek shelter under their teachings instead of relying on the mundane and oneself according to the norm practices of a conformed society.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
It takes a great deal of courage to shave one's heads.
Shaving heads is to cut off one's vanity and not to be attached to anything and to live a simple life.
It's also a way of letting go of attachment .

Aurore

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 06:08:04 PM »
When a person shaved their heads normally, it would mean its to conduct a religious ceremony or prayer or as an offering to the deity, like Hindus when they go on street procession. When an ordained sangha shaved their heads, it is a sign to the world that they had renounced and will hold the sangha's vows and will adorn the sangha's monks.

I believe what you are referring to is people who vow to shave their heads as an offering to the deity in exchange of another person's well-being, health, etc. It's a common practice in Hinduism. If I do this "difficult" move, please help grant my wishes. I knew someone who did it for her sick sister.