Author Topic: Lama Chopa  (Read 5662 times)

Lineageholder

Lama Chopa
« on: June 08, 2008, 08:23:50 PM »
Hey everyone,

I heard some time ago that the Dalai Lama banned the practice of Lama Chopa.  Is this correct?  What's the situation with Lama Chopa in the 'Brave New World' of the modified Gelugpa Tradition?

Thanks!

Lineageholder

emptymountains

Re: Lama Chopa
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:05:04 AM »
It is mentioned on page 50 of Ursula Bernis' book (http://www.shugdensociety.info/Bernis0EN.html), but no reference is given:

late 70's:
The Dalai Lama forbids the recitation of the primary prayer, common to all Gelugpa (Lama
Chöpa, composed by the First Panchen Lama), in front of the stupa at Bodh Gaya, the Buddha's
place of enlightenment. Names of some outstanding masters of this lineage, such as Pabongka
Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche, are removed from common (lineage) prayers and paintings.

I asked before if this was still the case, but nobody seemed to know. See http://dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0.

pclayton

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »
Hello Lineageholder and emptymountains,

I can't address the ban about performing Lama Chopa at Bodh Gaya, as I know nothing about that, but I can let you know that at my Dharma Center (which operates under the patronage of His Holiness the Dalai Lama) that we practice the Lama Chopa every month. We perform it in both Tibetan and English.

I can also state that at our center, that Lineage Gurus such as Pabongka Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche are not removed from prayers and paintings.

I can't address anyone else's Center, but our Center operates very strictly according to His Holiness' guidelines.

Best regards,
Pup Clayton

Lineageholder

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »
Hi Pup,

Thanks very much for the information, I'm very happy to hear that this blessed practice is still being performed in the Gelugpa tradition.  I wish you every success and good condition for your spiritual practice.

With love,

Lineageholder