Author Topic: Personal Observations of an American Shugdenpa  (Read 8750 times)

Ven. Lozang Gyaltsan

Personal Observations of an American Shugdenpa
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:12:11 AM »
I have written short articles entitled "My Position on Dorje Shugden".  They have been posted in my Facebook "Notes" and also here in this forum. This is the latest installment. I will also post the other articles here in this new thread.

Personal Observations of an American Shugdenpa in India: More about "My Position on Dorje Shugden" by Ven. Lozang Gyaltsan

Some friends have recently asked me what the situation is like here in Bylakuppe for Shugdenpas and for me in particular.  So far, I have not been the object of any abuse or harassment at all. Being the only western monk in residence here and having a prominent double-dorje tattoo on my upper arm, I have been the object of ongoing curiosity and pretty much everyone around has either heard something about or seen the American Shugdenpa. There are portions of the colony in which it has been made it clear that Shugenpas are not welcome to either congregate or shop. We simply stay away from those intolerant areas. The colony is relatively small in size and passing through it is a short trip. Beyond the very limited area the colony occupies, the “Shugden” matter is of no concern.  The Indian population has far too much on its own plate to notice the petty concerns of Tibetan politics. .It should be noted that the Nyingma Monastic Community of The Golden Temple here in Bylakuppe and the lay population of the nearby Nyingma Camp do not engage in this bigotry. In both places we are freely welcomed and treated warmly . The same cannot be said to be true for the Tibetans living here and in the other Tibetan colonies of India who are not monks or nuns who have both the social status and relative safety of their monasteries to protect them. For them, life is constantly unpleasant and often dangerous.
I know that many have been the object of much criticism and abuse from what my own Root-Lama,  a well-respected tulku from Kham, called the poor, ignorant, largely uneducated Tibetan population who think HHDL is a god-incarnate capable of no wrong or error in judgment. A concept that is nothing less than laughable, generally-speaking, and too downright ludicrous in Buddhism to even contemplate. Those who are more well-educated and well-informed who engage in this outrageous and unseemly behavior are those who think they have something to gain from publicly currying the favor of HHDL and the largess that ensues when the “line-is-toed”. Fortunately, the influence of these people and the influence of HHDL himself are both waning. Despite the celebrity and reputation he has enjoyed for so long as a religious leader and prominent world figure, the more widespread his unrelenting attempt to ban Shugden practice becomes known the more the world-at-large is coming to see that he not only openly advocates but persistently encourages religious intolerance and social ostracism among his own people and in his own faith. This can, in the end, only diminish his reputation, tarnish the public image of the Tibetan people and irreparably damage the cause of Buddhadharma.  The simple truth is that this whole business is a disgraceful display of institutionalized ignorance, intolerance, hatred and bigotry.
HHDL speaks of peace, harmony, and universal brotherhood in some parts of the world and of intolerance against Shugden practitioners in others. One would think that someone as well-educated, well-traveled and constantly in the spotlight of the world stage as the Dalai Lama would have figured out that, in the 21st century, under the scrutiny of a large cadre of journalists catering to the insatiable appetite of a prurient population eager for any scrap of controversy or unguarded moment and in the constant line-of-fire of I-phones, Blackberrys and similar devices, that one cannot speak in condemnation of others or one thing in one part of the world and something completely different in another and not have the expectation that, sooner or later, it will rise up and lash out at unexpected moments and in unforeseen ways.
It is up to the generations now practicing Buddhism, regardless of the particular tradition to which they belong, to maintain, promote and pass on the pure, undiluted teaching of Shakyamuni free of politics and dissention.
Many Lamas, and the monastic communities continuing to openly practice Dorje Shugden are passing to their followers a pure, unspoiled lineage. My own Lama and the others from whom I continue to have the blessing of receiving teachings pass the same purity of unbroken lineage. Their endless sacrifices and unswerving dedication serve as an example that encourages us all to do everything we can to maintain our practice, strengthen our samaya, keep unswerving faith in our precious Lineage Lamas, and never surrender our devotion to Gyalchen Dorje Shugden. For those of us who have spoken the vows of ‘srog rtag’, this is nothing less than a sacred commitment to which we have dedicated “our lives and our sacred honor”. I will continue to relentlessly share this oft-repeated teaching my Lama. “It does not matter what anyone thinks of you or your practice, regardless of who they are.”

Mana

Re: Personal Observations of an American Shugdenpa
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:32:47 AM »
Dear Ven Lozang Gyaltsan,

Your post here is from powerful personal observation. I do not see you as attacking the Dalai Lama in any way but just sharing your feelings. Your pain and the pain of many others can be heard. Thank you for sharing.

I have rejoiced in reading what you have wrote and I know others will also. Powerful. Not everyone in our team agrees with everything you have written, but fully respect it just the same because it is not an attack.

We at www.dorjeshugden.com welcome insightful views from both sides of the fence. Your views are not personal nor bias or petty attacks at all we have feel.

Some here may like HHDL and some may not but everyone has the right to be heard and to speak from a Dharma mind using Dharma speech with Dharma motivations.

Mana
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:30:09 AM by Mana »

Ven. Lozang Gyaltsan

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »
It is shared in the hope that it is, in some way, both powerful and insightful. The forum is, after all, called Rattle That Cage...

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »
Dear Ven. Lozang Gyaltsan

Thank you for sharing ... as Mana says, it is very insightful and i treasure your sharing very much. I truly feel that you are sincere, and I rejoice that you serve the Dharma from that deep sincerity. In fact, through all the time that I have known you, you have always shown me kindness, respect and understanding and a willingness to share your perspective on Dorje Shugden.

I always enjoy reading your observations here on the forum and appreciate your efforts to share your experiences. And yes, my dear Lozang, you do rattle that cage :)

With respect always
x
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

beggar

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:32:56 AM »
I have just seen this on Facebook, and I hope Lozang Gyaltsen will not mind me sharing his note with the forum-readers here. It is a very powerful statement and has many, many very logical points. It is an empowering piece of writing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts - it will help many and give confidence to many Dorje Shugden practitioners.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will not be a re-hashing of the pros and cons of this controversy. In this respect, I take a position of neutrality. Recent conversations with Lamas and other Dharma practitioners have convinced me that it is time for me to make a public statement. As a long-time Dharma practitioner in the Gelug Lineage, this is not a topic with which I am unfamiliar.

My Tsawa-Lama is Chodag Tulku Rinpoche, with whom I studied until his passing at the end of 2001. I was ordained by Dagom Rinpoche at Dagom Ganden Tensung Ling Monastery in Bloomington, Indiana.
Chodag Tulku and I had many long and detailed conversations about this matter. He gave me very specific instructions regarding how I was to handle discourse on this topic and the things I have to say about it are either his direct words or are informed by what he taught me. His teaching was that while this all started as an internecine religious squabble some centuries ago, it has degenerated into a squabble about Tibetan politics and not religion.

Tibetan politics, both before and since the introduction of Buddhism, has a long, violent, bloody history filled with deep political intrigue, and long-standing sectarian hatred, including the assassinations of many religious figures, even the Dalai Lamas, and open warfare between monks in rival monasteries. My Lama said that as a practitioner and a monastic, I am to avoid the mixing of politics and Dharma. It is always disastrous and always poisons both.

This first thing I want to address is the first question usually asked, aside from, perhaps, “What is all this Shugden mess?” And that question is: “Are you a Shugden practitioner?” As with ALL tantric practices, I will neither deny nor confirm any connection to this practice. As with all of one’s practices, especially Tantra, it is an inappropriate topic for public discourse for any practitioner; period. A true Tantric practitioner will not engage in any public discourse with respect to whether or not they have an empowerment for a specific practice. To do so violates one’s tantric vows. This is the teaching of my Tsawa-Lama.

Some of you will make an immediate assumption one way or the other about what my answer “means”. If you actually care one way or the other about whether or not I, or anyone else, is a Shugdenpa then you already have a proclivity for wasting your time and meddling in affairs that do not concern you. My personal observation would simply be that you do not spend enough time on your meditation seat or reading the Bodhisattva and Tantric vows.

The second thing I wish to address is this. I do not have relationships with Lamas and other practitioners, or friendships and acquaintances with anyone, based on their position on this matter. I don’t know how most people feel about this controversy and, truthfully, don’t much care what anyone thinks.

I know many people who are Shugden practitioners, even more who are not and, for the most part, have no clue about the vast majority of the practitioners I know. If it matters to you, then I’m probably not someone you want to know. I base my decisions regarding friendship on how one treats other people and whether or not they are disruptive to my mind-stream.

My Lama’s teaching on this was, also, quite clear.
    1. You can have all the compassion and loving-kindness toward another sentient being and, quite reasonably (and well within the dictates of yogic principles) not want that being to be anywhere near you.
    2. You should always avoid those who are disruptive to your mind-stream regardless of who they may be.

Any of you who have gone to hear Tibetan Lamas since the introduction of the Dharma in the West has taken teachings from, studied with, or has been empowered by one or more Shugden Lamas, whether you know it or not. Many of you still take teachings from a Lama who is a practicing Shugdenpa. The fact that you don’t know is an example of the both the critical importance of secrecy in Tantra and the facetious pretense of superiority that is at the heart of this centuries-old, occasionally rehashed, squabble about political influence and sectarian persecution.

I have a zero-tolerance policy toward, and absolutely no respect for, anyone who engages in such nonsense, who perpetuates this blatant disrespect for the teachings of the Buddha, or for anyone who harasses or intimidates another person for their spiritual beliefs and practices.

My Lama was very clear on this aspect of the teaching of Shakyamuni:
    The beliefs of others are not your concern.

(original Facebook posting can be read  here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/lozang-gyaltsan/revisiting-my-position-on-dorje-shugden-earlier-this-year-i-posted-an-article-it/10150355294735955)

WisdomBeing

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 05:26:41 AM »
Thank you for sharing that, Beggar.

I'd like to share my personal experience with Lozang Gyaltsan which touched me deeply then and still does. And I hope that he doesn't mind that i share it.

About a year ago, someone from an established Dharma centre in Europe had told Lozang Gyaltsan to unfriend me on facebook because i was a Shugden practitioner. And that if Lozang Gyaltsan would not unfriend me, he would have to unfriend them. Many would not have wished to alienate this established Dharma centre, especially for a facebook friend he had never met. Yet on principle, Lozang Gyaltsan objected to the 'implied threat' and promptly unfriended them instead.

This was really playground politics. I am not going to be friends with you if you are friends with so-and-so?? Gosh, i hope we've ALL outgrown that. Thank goodness Lozang Gyaltsan was someone of integrity and principle and he really lives according to what he has written in his posts which are shared in this thread.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »
Dear Ven Lozang Gyaltsan,

Thank you for sharing your personal observation.  I appreciate your views very much and it is inspiring to hear it from someone who is in the midst of all the controversy.  It is heartening to know that despite all the tremendous obstacles, many Lamas, monks and practitioners still continue to maintain and practise their faith in DS.

Please continue to share your views with us.  It will give many Shugdenpas strength in face political and social discrimination for their faith in DS.   

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:11:34 AM »
Dear Ven. Lozang Gyaltsan

Thanks for the update....

Beyond the very limited area the colony occupies, the “Shugden” matter is of no concern.  The Indian population has far too much on its own plate to notice the petty concerns of Tibetan politics.

This is nice to hear the another perspective, a real perspective from our man on the ground in amongst it all. You are like our UN reporter to the world. Not even the pro-ban war mongers can silence you.

You have a voice here. We are glad you can share openly.

Thank you!

... you are right... very petty indeed:)

Ven. Lozang Gyaltsan

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
Friends,

I have just spent the evening meal at Serpom discussing some of my observations here "on the ground" in India among Tibetans. One of the things that is very clear to me and should be shared with you all is this: Seen from the relative comfort and isolation of the West, the Shugden situation seems dire and unpleasant, if not a bit distant. Being here in India at one of the many "ground-zeroes", some things have become much clearer. But even my close, daily association with some of the Rinpoches, Geshes, Lamas, and Monastics, both young and old, who are at the center of this controversy has made one thing very clear. Even my increased understanding and first-hand observations are only a brief hint, a quick "coup d'oeil",  into how deeply this problem permeates the very fabric of Tibetan culture. This society has not been torn asunder like this for millennia, if ever. This is, perhaps, the most devastating assault upon the the social fabric of Tibetan culture since the diaspora. It is most certainly the most damaging thing that has ever happened to the spiritual life of these people. There is absolutely nothing that has ever happened in the cultures and societies of the Western world that comes even remotely close, except for one. If you want to develop an approximate parallel, think of what the Third Reich rained-down upon Jewish society and religious life. What they did to decimate Jewish society, the Chinese government has done to Tibetans, though in not nearly such great numbers. What they attempted to do the spiritual life of Jews [and failed miserably at doing] this Dalai Lama has attempted to do to his own people. It is, likewise, failing miserably. If the damage ever comes close to be being eradicated, it will take many generations. In my own experience as a Shugden practitioner, the only negativity I been personally subjected to has been being "dis-invited" to a retreat, having my character questioned and being insulted, occasionally in vulgar terms, for my openness in speaking "against the person of His Holiness" [as this social crime is known in Tibetan society] and, by far the least important, being "unfriended" in social media. I have even had my character and the character of others who will not demonize HHDL, called into question. From my observational point-of-view, at least from the limited perspective of any Westerner, even that of a Shugdenpa, one of the the saddest things of all may be that when this Dalai Lama passes away it will be a cause of great relief and not a small amount of celebration for tens upon tens of thousands of people. Few people, except for older Tibetans who still remember the 13th Dalai Lama, have any cause to remember the lives or times of previous Dalai Lamas, except for what is written about the "Great Fifth". The infamy of the 14th will resound for generations and his legacy will be tainted for all time.

As always, the faithful and devout Shugdenpa.

Lozang Gyaltsan

WisdomBeing

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 03:10:25 AM »
I just wanted to share this which Ven Lozang Gyaltsan posted on his facebook - it was in response to someone who was criticising Shugden practitioners. You can read more here https://www.facebook.com/notes/lozang-gyaltsan/personal-observations-of-an-american-shugdenpa-in-india-more-about-my-position-o/10150392998125955 although the person who was criticising Ven. Lozang Gyaltsan eventually took herself off the thread:

Please understand this is not Shugden propaganda.. I don't care to convince anyone to do this practice or to convert anyone to my way of thinking or to disrespect HHDL.

Imagine, just briefly, being told that you could no longer practice part of the religion you have chosen, read certain scriptures, sing certain songs and, if you refused to comply, had a religious leader persuade your family to disown, businesses to refuse to sell or provide services to you or your government provide the same rights to you as to any other citizen. I won't try to imagine how you'd react, I'm not asking how you'd react, just to imagine for a moment. to answer about what we are discussing earlier and some background: Now, having re-read what we both have written, I think I may see where the confusion lies. I did not mean to create the impression that I did not think the experience you related did not happen or that it not was a real one. I think the confusion may be one of both language and interpretation.

I do think that HHDL, or any other human, does have Buddha-nature or illusory-body qualities, but that no human has any God-like qualities like omniscience, omnipresence, etc. The position of Dalai Lama arose as a political one and its only connection to the spiritual side came from the fact that the Dalai Lamas have always been monks and had, as a result, some spiritual influence within the Gelug order. The institution of the position “Dalai Lama” was established during the period of the man known as the 3rd Dalai Lama. The first two never existed as DLs, they were so named after they had been dead some years in order to justify the choice of lineage from which the man known as HHDL 3 was chosen.

There was at the time open warfare between Kagyu & Gleug monasteries in the central Yarlung valley of Tibet. The shooting each other with guns, stabbing with swords, killing each other kind of warfare. The newly-emerging Gelug order and the Kagyus were struggling for supremacy in the political arena. The Gelug order held greater influence with the Mongolian leader and they convinced him to send soldiers into central Tibet to protect the smaller Gelug monasteries. He did this and set-up the political office of Dalai Lama and used the Mongol army to enforce this new political power structure. This power structure grew until the Gelug order became increasingly powerful and finally dominated Tibetan politics and the Dalai Lamas ever since ruled Tibet the way the early kings of Tibet ruled, with absolute political power. This power struggle has always existed.

Very few Dalai Lamas have lived to be old enough to hold office. Most were murdered. They have always been politicians. This one is no different. As to the Shugden matter, HHDL has the right to practice whatever Guru Yoga he chooses and for whatever reason he chooses. What he does not have, never has had, and never will have is the spiritual authority or the right, to force others to do as he does or to follow his wishes.

HHDL 14 counted on his influence and the blind devotion that most of them have enjoyed all these centuries to work in his favor. It has not and will not. Tibetans in Tibet are free of the domination of the Dalai Lamas. They are oppressed by the Chinese now but HHDL has no control there. The Tibetan populations of America and other countries are beyond his control and of those who live outside India, the only place he has any real influence now, many are Shugdenpas.

I have lived among the Tibetans in America for many years and this is first-hand knowledge. The Gelug Lamas who came to the west before this “ban” was proposed were Shugden practitioners, as were the Tibetans who were also Gelug who emigrated. It is how so many Americans who became Tibetan Buddhists of Gelug Lamas were introduced to the practice of Dorje Shugden.

After the ban, the Shugdenpas among the Tibetans in India {who could afford to do so} fled to the west where they would be safe from the violence, the persecution and the social isolation in which this Dalai Lama has been able to persuade other Tibetans to engage.

I now reside in India. I came to teach English to young monks at Serpom Monastery. I live in a place where there was no problem until recent years. For the first 35 years of the attempts of HHDL 14 to ban this practice, the monks of Sera continued the practice of Shugden with no problems until HHDL decided to force the issue here at the Sera monasteries in Bylakuppe Tibetan Colony.

Of the approximately 1200 monks at Sera mey, 900 were members of Pomra House. Sera Mey had more than 50 such “houses” mostly comprised of small numbers of monks.. 5 or 6, a dozen or so. The monks of Pomra house, nearly all 900 of them, refused to follow his orders, left Sera Mey, taking with them their personal belongings, their real estate properties, acquiring more land supplied by the Indian government {which refuses to endorse or support the political aspirations of HHDL 14} and formed the new Serpom Monastery over which HHDL has no power and no influence.

This should give you just a brief glimpse into one small part of the suffering and negativity that has ensued because HHDL is not satisfied to give others within his own society and his own religion the freedom to choose what Guru Yoga they practice. He wants the freedom to choose for himself whether or not to practice Dorje Shugden. He just doesn’t want that freedom for anyone other than himself.

These are the facts. This is the truth.

All of this I know from first-hand experience as a monk who has lived among Tibetans in both America and India. The historical background comes from my undergraduate and graduate school studies at Indian University in the Tibetan Studies Program where my university mentor, my professor of Tibetan language & history and graduate school advisor was Thubten Jigme Norbu, the Tagster Tulku Rinpoche , the older brother of HHDL14.

You may not like the truth of this matter. But it is the truth. It is not offered to persuade you to not follow or believe in or to convince you to disrespect HHDL. It is offered so that you know the truth about what he is doing. Whether you think he has the right to deny religious freedom to Tibetans is something you must decide for yourself. As you can see from all the conflict and suffering that has ensued, most people do not support his attempts to deny religious freedom to his people.

He cannot deny it to me or the many thousands of non-Tibetans who practice Dorje Shugden. He has no control over us and we really don’t give a crap what he thinks. As I stated in a comment earlier in this thread of comments, the only person whose opinion of me matters even the slightest is that of my own Lama.

Big Uncle

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 05:34:40 AM »
Thank you Wisdom Being for posting Lozang Gyeltsen's facebook comment here. I do agree with a part of what he is saying about the Dalai Lama. However, I think there is a fuller picture of the Dalai Lama's previous lives that he didn't mention and this earned his respect amongst his own people. His previous lives were not only politicians, they were great scholars who were prolific writers, meditators with innumerable mystical visions and were great teachers to innumerable other Lamas and scholars.

If you were to read Tibetan history, you would understand the circumstances that shape the Dalai Lamas who chose to wield their political power. For example, the Great Fifth Dalai Lama came to power with the support of the Mongolian king because the Gelug tradition was being threatened by the Tsang Kings who were Kagyupas and they were forcibly converting Gelug monasteries. If the Dalai Lama didn't ally himself with the Mongolians, the Gelug order would most likely have been assimilated by the Kagyus. There's nothing wrong with being Kagyu but the assimilation would have meant that Je Tsongkhapa's precious and unique teachings would have been lost.

On the other hand, the Great Fifth Dalai Lama himself, besides being a politician, he was a great meditator, often having visions and he also composed a lot of books on the teachings including a version of the Lamrim, that became one of the the basis of the little known Southern Lamrim tradition, that Pabongka Rinpoche later propagated widely. So, my point is to add points so people have a fuller picture of the Dalai Lama. I don't agree with his ban but that does not mean he is just a politician, using this ban to further his own aims. There many other examples of the Dalai Lama that one can make including the current Dalai Lama.

Ven. Lozang Gyaltsan

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 08:57:44 AM »
Big Uncle,

Thank you so much for filling in what is a glaring omission from the comments I posted on Facebook. It was written as a response to someone who, judging by her comments, idolizes HHDL14 as an the incarnate god-king incapable of human error. It was not my intention to create the impression that there had not been erudite scholars or great and holy men among them but to point out that, historically-speaking, the post was conceived and intended as a political one and that the current Dalai Lama and, at times his immediate predecessor, tried to use that political influence to achieve political ends. The previous also failed to break down the well-defined and well-reasoned difference between the Four great traditions of Tibetan Buddhism and, instead, sparked a determination in each to maintain their unique identity and the distinct and unmistakable purity of all lineages. Most of them used their political influence wisely and were able to make contributions to Buddhadharma that far outweighed any political considerations. I am in your debt. I appreciate your kindness.

Lozang

Image of Ngawang Lobsang Gyatso -  The Great Fifth

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 07:09:42 AM »
Big Uncle,

Thank you so much for filling in what is a glaring omission from the comments I posted on Facebook. It was written as a response to someone who, judging by her comments, idolizes HHDL14 as an the incarnate god-king incapable of human error. It was not my intention to create the impression that there had not been erudite scholars or great and holy men among them but to point out that, historically-speaking, the post was conceived and intended as a political one and that the current Dalai Lama and, at times his immediate predecessor, tried to use that political influence to achieve political ends. The previous also failed to break down the well-defined and well-reasoned difference between the Four great traditions of Tibetan Buddhism and, instead, sparked a determination in each to maintain their unique identity and the distinct and unmistakable purity of all lineages. Most of them used their political influence wisely and were able to make contributions to Buddhadharma that far outweighed any political considerations. I am in your debt. I appreciate your kindness.

Lozang

Image of Ngawang Lobsang Gyatso -  The Great Fifth

yes the Dalai Lama is indeed extremely skillful to be able to deal with the  Tibetans and help lead and guide them towards a more Dharmic direction. The Dalai Lama does not need Tibet, but Tibet needs the Dalai Lama. And unfortunately, the Tibetans do not seem to be able to stand on their own without the Dalai Lama's help and assistance. I mean, shouldnt they learn how to stand up and rule their own country by now? Perhaps they will, perhaps they wont, but the Dalai lama will do something to help them learn. After all, that is a far better idea than to just spoonfeeding them