Author Topic: Buddhism encourages going green  (Read 7020 times)

Q

Buddhism encourages going green
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
The Tzu Chi Foundation truly is amazing in their own ways. Although their practice is not my cup of tea, as I believe there is not much Dharma knowledge in their volunteers... but doing action with their body for a Dharmic purpose, I think that is the first step to cleansing the body so that they can later learn the Dharma in depth...

What amazes me is the sheer amount of volunteers that come forward to help Tzu Chi. I like how they are turning this abused world into a greener one by encouraging recycling and actually carrying it out in such that gives great impact.

**********************************************************************************
Taiwan turns plastic junk into blankets, dolls

TAIPEI, March 1, 2013 (AFP) - Some 40 people stand ankle-deep in used plastic bottles in the yard of a recycling station in Taipei, stamping them flat in the first step of a process that will transform the junk into usable goods.

At the station operated by Taiwan's largest charity group Tzu Chi Foundation, hundreds of volunteers help sort and recycle plastic waste along with used glass bottles and electronic appliances.

"Plastic bottles won't be decomposed even if they are buried for 1,000 years so we started to recycle and re-use them to reduce garbage and pollution," said Chien Tung-yuan, a spokesman for the foundation.

"The used bottles are being treated and processed in a 13-step procedure to be made into textiles such as blankets and clothes and even dolls."

Tzu Chi runs 5,400 recycling stations across Taiwan with the help of more than 76,000 volunteers and has distributed more than 460,000 blankets made from plastic bottles since 2007 for relief use at home and abroad.

For the volunteers in charge of crushing the plastic bottles, who are from two nearby nursing homes for the mentally ill, the recycling work has also become part of their therapy, Chien said.

"They come in twice a week as the simple task helps them concentrate and stabilise their emotions. It's not only therapeutic for them but also for a very good cause."

Taiwan started recycling plastic more than a decade ago and today it boasts more than 70 percent recycling rates, according to the Environmental Protection Administration.

In 2011, 193,000 tonnes of used plastic were collected and turned into raw materials worth Tw$5.0 billion ($172 million).

Taiwan made international headlines with the "eco-fabric" used to make the jerseys for nine teams in the 2010 football World Cup in South Africa.

bambi

Re: Buddhism encourages going green
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:39:09 AM »
Well Q, you may say that there are not much Dharma knowledge but I believe they are collecting much positive karma as their motivation is to help people and the environment. To a point they are practicing selflessness. There are many people who are not spiritually inclined but they love to do charity as it gives them a sense of peace. I know quite a lot of them. I rejoice that Master Cheng Yen was able to encourage people who are spiritual and non spiritual. So much positive values and lives She have encouraged! And another thing is that there are different types of charity one can take part in so there are more choices for people who prefer different types of charity. Do read here for more info http://www.us.tzuchi.org/us/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=293&Itemid=283&lang=en

Jessie Fong

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
Master Cheng Yen is heading the right way in encouraging recycling.  If you visit any of their outlets, you will be able to find items made of recycled products on their shelves. 

To say that the is not much Dharma knowledge in their volunteers --- well, we are not here to size people up. Tzu Chi Foundation is so well-known worldwide and their volunteers are geared in one direction --- promote their master and all that Master Cheng Yen stands for and all the related works.

lotus1

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
Rejoice in seeing the great work of Tzu Chi. It is Dharma in action! By recycling, Tzu Chi and their volunteers are helping the world and all the beings to have a better, greener and cleaner world to live in. It is also a way to train and purify our mind from protecting our earthly environment.

In Lamrim, there is a story on how Buddha using his skillful means to ask Chudapanthaka who was once considered as “dullest of the dull” to clean and sweep the temple in order to purify his karma. From there, Chudapanthaka has achieved arhatship by cleaning and sweeping the temple while reciting “Abandon dirt, abandon stains”.   

So, I believe it's a way from Master Cheng Yen to bring Dharma to the volunteers through this recycling project.

Aurore

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »
You will not believe your eyes !!!

Watch this video and you can see why it's important to go green. Sometimes, it's difficult to see how throwing rubbish in the sea and using plastic can be so harmful to another living being. Well, there are consequences and many lives has been affected by human carelessness.

What Tzu Chi is doing is great but don't just rejoice rejoice and be happy of other's good deeds. We can do our part too. Start by refusing plastic. Sort out our rubbish. Recycle!

Q

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
@Aurore

That is truly a gruesome video of how pollution has affected our environment.... animals and plants.

I found this interesting statement on recycling in the perspective of Buddhism. As we all know, at the time of the Buddha, obviously recycling is not an issue with clear reasons that people just do not produce so much junk compared to now. In our age and time, how often do we discard electronic items when it is still in good condition just to get a new one? Not even having to think that far, just look at all of our instant food packages and water bottles... which is just a single use packaging but cause so much damage.

The term recycling is commonly used today to refer to the practice of using resources prudently and fully. This practice had grown out of a concern for pollution, an awareness that the Earth’s resources are limited and a growing respect for nature. A Buddhist would be motivated to try to recycle for all these reasons but also by the Buddha’s teachings of thoughtful gratitude and respect for all life. The Buddha envisaged his monks and nuns living entirely on the donations they received from others and so he encouraged them to use what they were given fully and with care. According to the commentary, ?nanda once said that when robes were too shabby to be worn any longer, he would find numerous other uses for them until they had been fully utilized and worn out (Ja.II,23). The Buddha also taught his disciples to be careful towards both animal and plant life. This would include taking from nature only what we need, using it prudently and giving something back in return. - See more at: http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=334#sthash.Cc95huZJ.dpuf

RedLantern

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
Caring for the environment is a natural part of the Buddhist path.The Buddha encouraged us to understand more deeply the underlying unity and interconnectedness of life.
Tzu Chi innovative neighborhood recycling program began in Hualien and has spread to all chapters of Tzu Chi around the world.
.Besides for calling for waste reduction and recycling,the organ construction projects are also
of the "green" variety.
"The myriads of disasters on Earth are casual by humanity's greed and selfish desires,to cherish and protect the earth,we must purify our hearts and reach out to care for those around us" Venerable Chen Yen.
Every object we own-furniture,clothings,beer cans,any stuff-comes from somewhere,every object has an environmental impact.Nothing comes from the store.
We all make a difference,and just by doing a few things,create a huge ripple effect on all living things.

brian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
The idea of going green certainly sells in the mainstream as compared to vegetarianism as many would not be able to give up eating meat. Idea of recycling certainly is more popular in this sense as global community are fully aware of this recycling waste produce and minimizing harm towards mother earth. This explains why they are popular and also their outlets are well supported because of the idea of recycling sells. This indirectly benefits the people as a whole when they join in recycling activities because it gives an imprint of thinking good doing good. I personally like this way of benefitting very much.

apprenticehealer

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 03:23:25 AM »
Personally, I think as a whole The Tzu Chi Foundation is doing a great job for the public.
Besides playing a part in cleaning up the planet, they raise funds from the recycled products to help as many people as possible.
In times of natural disasters , anywhere in the world, Tzu Chi members are there to assist as best as they can, They have rebuilt homes,schools, places of worship, roads, provided food, temporary shelters and medical care , irrespective of the country's culture and religion.
The Foundation also provides a venue for their members who are not so spiritually inclined , a sense of purpose when they help out in collecting old newspapers, aluminum products and plastic bottles etc. and recycling these items.
As a member of Tzu Chi once said to me " I don't have it in me to go to the temples to pray , nor the money to donate, but i can roll up my sleeves and put in my effort to help to relieve suffering as best as i can ".
Isn't it our goal to help, benefit and serve all sentient beings ?

dondrup

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
Tzu Chi Foundation is one of the largest Buddhist organisations in the World today.  Founded by the very compassionate nun Master Cheng Yen.  It is through Master Cheng Yen’s perfect example of a bodhisattva and of her leadership that attracted and inspired many to join her organisation.  Tzu Chi Foundation emphasises practical Buddhism.  All their work is essentially based on the practices of the Six Paramitas.  By engaging in the practices of the Six Paramitas, members and volunteers of Tzu Chi Foundation experience the bodhisattvas’ way of life.  Though their volunteers may the lack Dharma knowledge at the outset, but through their involvement in the work of a bodhisattva, they eventually gain the realisation of the Six Paramitas. Recycling is one of the skilful means of the Tzu Chi Foundation to spread the Dharma teachings.  Tzu Chi Foundation is one of the leaders in the World today that practices and encourages recycling.

Q

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
Personally, I think as a whole The Tzu Chi Foundation is doing a great job for the public.
Besides playing a part in cleaning up the planet, they raise funds from the recycled products to help as many people as possible.
In times of natural disasters , anywhere in the world, Tzu Chi members are there to assist as best as they can, They have rebuilt homes,schools, places of worship, roads, provided food, temporary shelters and medical care , irrespective of the country's culture and religion.
The Foundation also provides a venue for their members who are not so spiritually inclined , a sense of purpose when they help out in collecting old newspapers, aluminum products and plastic bottles etc. and recycling these items.
As a member of Tzu Chi once said to me " I don't have it in me to go to the temples to pray , nor the money to donate, but i can roll up my sleeves and put in my effort to help to relieve suffering as best as i can ".
Isn't it our goal to help, benefit and serve all sentient beings ?

Very nicely said. I think they not only have a sense of purpose when they get involved with the recycling program, but they also become more humble. Without Tsu Chi educating people on the benefits of recycling, people will not only continue to pollute our environment just like what happened with the birds in the video... but will not have a second thought about being environmental friendly.

Just like you, I have a few friends that go to Tzu Chi... and I have never seen them take away food in a disposable material before. Everything they use is either 100% recyclable or washable... all in the effort to reduce disposal and encourage reuse. Knowledge about the negative effects of things certainly makes a huge change in people's attitude towards how they live their life. Just imagine if everyone learnt the Dharma and want to change their lives just because they understand the benefits of Dharma... such a beautiful world it would be!