Author Topic: Vietnam to remove all ‘copulating’ Buddha statues, if any  (Read 7392 times)

Ensapa

• Email
I am speechless at the many levels of ignorance that is being displayed by this incident. But it's still fun to read.

Vietnam to remove all ‘copulating’ Buddha statues, if any
TUOITRENEWS A+ A-
    Print 
Updated : Thu, March 7, 2013,1:44 PM (GMT+0700)

Posted on Facebook, this photo is said to be taken in Vietnam

An inspection will be done at all pagodas in Vietnam and statues depicting the Buddha hugging nude women will be removed. This is in response to recent claims that there is such a statue in Vietnam, triggering anger among many who say it is blasphemous.
A photo showing one such statue was posted on Facebook and its poster claimed it was taken in Vietnam but did not specify the location. Thailand’s The Bangkok Post late last month wrote that the figurine draw condemnation from Thai Buddhist world.
In response, Thich Gia Quang, head of the Buddhist Church of Vietnam’s communication department, told Buddhist news site phatgiao.org.vn that his organization will soon request all Buddhist units across the country to check all pagodas and worshipping sites for such statues and, if found, will remove them completely.
His comments were published on the site yesterday.
The senior monk said the Buddhist Church does not know if the said statue is of Vietnamese origin or not. But he stressed that there is no such figurines under the Vietnamese Buddhist tradition and that the public would protest if they appear in public.
There are two main Buddhist branches in the country: Mahayana and Theravada and they both do not recognize such images, the monk confirmed.
He added that even though such sculptures are common in India, Nepal or Tibet, they are definitely “not appropriate” for Vietnam taking into account its Buddhism history, tradition and culture.
Priceless artifact
Meanwhile, Doctor Nguyen Minh Ngoc, a Buddhist researcher at the Vietnamese Institute of Religions, told Thanh Nien that the statue could be in Vietnam but it is likely to belong to someone’s personal collection and is not on display in public.
“It is just a normal tantric statue …It is completely wrong to say that it depicts sex between Lord Buddha and a woman. Such ideas stem from the fact that we impose our own modern views while its cultural root is different”.
Dr. Ngoc explained that it represents the union of yin and yang, of the male representing compassion with the female representing wisdom. The marriage of wisdom and compassion leads to enlightenment.

The researcher added that if the statue in the Facebook photo is indeed an ancient one and has Vietnamese origins, it is priceless and a breakthrough for archeology, art and religion studies. “It fills the gap in the history of Tantric Buddhism or Vajrayana in Vietnam”.
According to Dr. Ngoc, it is not known when Vajrayana first arrived in Vietnam and exactly which Vajrayana sects existed in the country.
Evidence says that Vajrayana did survive during the Ly dynasty but no tantric statues of the period have ever been found.
Art scholar Pham Trung of the Institute of Arts told Thanh Nien he once saw similar statues on display at an exhibition inside the Vietnam Fine Arts Museum in Hanoi. “But the sculptures were very small and I think did not originate from Vietnam”.
They are considered artworks and not objects of worship, Trung added.
Nguyen Quoc Tuan, head of the Institute of Religions, says he does not know of any instances of such ‘sexy’ figurines being made in Vietnam. So, it could be brought from abroad like Nepal.
The Bangkok Post quoted a Thai netizen as saying that “the person who sculpted the statue was evil and wanted to give Buddhism a bad name”. Others called for its immediate destruction.
However, many disagree. One wrote on Facebook that the image of the Buddha with a nude woman is easily found in many museums in Nepal. It spreads the message that despite being tempted by beauty, the Lord does not fall into materialistic traps.
In fact, similar images can be found in ancient texts of India, Bhutan, Nepal or Tibet and statues depicting the Lord being intimate with women are on sale in many countries. A normal sculpture would show the Buddha in his tantric aspect in embrace with a woman, in a position of union known as Yab-Yum (literally Father-Mother) in Tibetan and Maithuna in Sanscrit.
But Vietnam is quite conservative when it comes to sex.
In November last year, two Buddhist monks in southern Vietnam were punished by being banned from leaving a monastery and from contact with the outside world for three months after it was found that a pop singer kissed them in public – against their will - as a thank-you gesture.

Read more: http://www.tuoitrenews.vn/cmlink/tuoitrenews/lifestyle/vietnam-to-remove-all-copulating-buddha-statues-if-any-1.99676#ixzz2MvLC3pkJ

sonamdhargey

Re: Vietnam to remove all ‘copulating’ Buddha statues, if any
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »
It is not surprising that these copulating Buddha Statues are to be removed in these region as what they practice is non tantric and most likely have not seen such statues before as this statue is a tantric statue. It will be a rude shock to these Buddhist who are predominantly Mahayana or Theravada who has no idea or whatsoever and may take offense of this type of statues as it maybe mis interpreted as Buddha having sex with a female. Maybe some research will be good before going on a witch hunt to remove these statues With that said, yes every region have their culture and traditions however by not finding out the meaning of these statues is as good as not wanting to know the truth.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:48:49 PM »
It is not surprising that these copulating Buddha Statues are to be removed in these region as what they practice is non tantric and most likely have not seen such statues before as this statue is a tantric statue. It will be a rude shock to these Buddhist who are predominantly Mahayana or Theravada who has no idea or whatsoever and may take offense of this type of statues as it maybe mis interpreted as Buddha having sex with a female. Maybe some research will be good before going on a witch hunt to remove these statues With that said, yes every region have their culture and traditions however by not finding out the meaning of these statues is as good as not wanting to know the truth.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »
To find out more about "copulating" Buddha, read ... http://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/tantra/
a section extracted as below:

Notwithstanding the fact that the Buddha essence is non-polar, Buddhist iconographers use sexual polarity to symbolize the twin concepts of insight and compassion. All goddesses are symbols of insight and the gods represent compassion. The union of compassion and insight symbolizes the non-polarized state of bodhicitta, or the mind of enlightenment, which is represented visually by showing two deities engaged in sexual union. Tibetans characterize such images as yab-yum, which literally means father-mother; in Sanskrit the expression is yuganaddha (pair united). This sexual metaphor is also used to denote the highest stage of yoga in which there is no polarity, no discrimination, and the truth is indivisible as the vajra itself. It may be added parenthetically that while such images, whether statues or paintings, are today much sought after by collectors and boldly displayed in museums, in Tibet they were always meant to be seen only by the initiated. The rites associated with these images were also arcane and not for public consumption.

The word Tantra itself is derived from the verbal root tan, meaning to "weave". Many things are interwoven on the Tantric path, including the lives of men and women. The Buddha couples of Tantric iconography celebrate this deep harmony of the sexes. The purpose of this dynamic was the creation of partnerships devoted to the realization of the ultimate truth. For instance, the man cultivates pure vision by seeing the woman as a deity, her sexual organ as the throne of enlightenment, and her sexual fluid as divine nectar.

DS Star

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »
Before I was introduce to Vajrayana or Tibetan Buddhism I was not aware of such Buddha images. I too would be very shock like the rest of Mahayana and Theravada Buddhists.

Nevertheless the witch hunt manner by Vietnamese Buddhist is a little too dramatic. It seems to be more politically motivated rather than for religious concerns. The outspoken Vietnamese and the Thais set their own standards for how an enlightened Buddha should be depicted without checking the practice of other Buddhist traditions.

Even among the Vietnamese scholars themselves, there are those who are aware of the significant of this form of Buddha image like one Dr Nguyen Minh Ngoc.

Q

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
Funny... the first time a saw a statue that is Yab Yub, I didn't think it was inappropriate, but the first thing that crossed my mind was... Why? What Buddha is this? How is it significant?

Of course I eventually got my answer after some surface explanation from a Dharma student.

Basically, I have never had any problem with these statues... in fact, I was naturally drawn towards Vajrayana although the place where I live in is very strongly inclined towards Theravada and Mahayana teachings.

At least Dr Ngoc in this news report, knows what's going on. Therefore fortunately the news of the Vietnamese and Thais go berserk over this statue is not a big deal. Funny how they would criticize a Buddha statue just because it does not appear as how they like it... very little Dharma values in them for a Buddhist country.

I suppose this is why in Vajrayana, rarely do we see people displaying tantric deities in public to avoid these type of response from ignorant people... 

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »
This is quite funny actually. People are having a reaction because they are not used to Tantric images of the Buddha. Wait till these people see a deity like Kalachakra, Heruka or even Vajrabhairava. Now, that would be even more terrifying and unBuddha-like. That's why in the past, Tantrikas kept Tantric images, liturgies and paraphernalia hidden. They don't want non-initiates to see and develop wrong views about them. Even recently, Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche has written about not casually displaying Tantric imagery.

Well, I think in this day and age, there are certain deities that are still alright and having a meditating Buddha Samantabhadra embracing his consort is really quite mild. The Internet has largely made such Tantric imagery highly accessible and there's really not really much we can do to keep things hidden. However, the commentaries, sadhanas and mantras should still be reserved for the initiated only. My dream is to own a large Heruka and/or Vajrayogini statue and have it on an altar with lots of offerings. Well, that would be hard to come by unless I fly to Nepal or China to commission but I don't have the budget for that yet. If the Vietnamese can't stomach Tantric images, send it my way!

dondrup

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
Buddha statues in Yab-Yum position would attract attention.  Without proper education on its iconography, ignorant people will criticize the statue.  That means these ignorant people will create negative speech karma!

It is unfortunate that during this time and age of internet there are still ignorance about the Vajrayana Buddhism e.g. the Buddha statues in Yab-Yum position in Vietnam and Thailand. The person who placed the picture on the Facebook will benefit many if he were to explain the iconography of the Buddha statue in Yab-Yum position. 

kris

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »
I would agree with sonamdhargey that in Vietnam, Thailand and Myanmar where Vajrayana is not "popular" and tantric practices are not commonly known, and as such, removing "copulating" Buddha statues may calm the mind of people.

Just like many Mahayana practitioners do not understand why we offer bear or alcohol to Dorje Shugden (and other protectors).

I felt we should conform to general practice of the people to avoid "culture shock", but through education, we can teach them about the actual practice.

bambi

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 07:30:21 AM »
Sometimes we look at certain things, we too get curious and say something that is not nice. This is simply because of the ignorance that arise in many of us. And instead of finding out the real reason, we jump to conclusions. When I first saw the wrathful deities and Samantabhadra, I was curious and it led me to find out more instead of making my own judgement. Times have changed, it used to be sacred and passed on from Lamas to students but now it is more 'commercialized' but dont forget this is also the time that we need all the sacred Blessings (eg. Samantabhadra, Vajrayogini, Guhyasamaja) to plant the seeds for us to be able to practice them if not in this life perhaps all other lives.

Samantabhadra. The word Samanta means, "universally extending." Bhadra means "great virtue." The word samantabhadra means as Universal Virtue and Universal Worthy.

He is naked and blue in color, and is most often pictured embracing his white consort Samantrabhhadri. The union of the two understood to represent the primordial (or mystical) union of wisdom and compassion. The masculine form is passive, representing the compassion and skillful means (upaya) that have to be developed in order to reach enlightenment. The feminine form is active and represents wisdom (prajna), which is also necessary to enlightenment. United, the figures symbolize the union necessary to overcome the veils of Maya, the false duality of object and subject. The sacred Tantric practice leads to rapid development of mind by using the experience of bliss, non-duality, and ecstasy while in union with one's consort.

Like Manjushri, Samantabhadra was an assistant to Sakyamuni Buddha. Historically, there are four famous bodhisattva in the East Asia; each symbolizes the Buddha's emphasis on different aspects of Dharma practices. They are Avalokitesvara's compassion, Manjushri's wisdom, Samantabhadra's practice, and Ksitigarbha's vow. Samantabhadra is also called the Great Conduct Bodhisattva, a name that reflects his practice of Buddhism through his famous Ten Great Vows.

Samantab is a cosmic entity embodying all the bodhisattva practices and merits which must be fulfilled in order to attain Buddhahood. According to the Flower Garland Sutra, bodhisattva practitioners must dedicate all of their efforts to the enlightenment of all sentient beings and sacrifice everything for the welfare of all. In this way, the boundaries of selfhood and the limitation of self-effort are transcended, and one enters into the ocean of merits of all beings, an ocean of merits which is the Samantabhadra's omnipresent body of virtue.

In the ?vata?saka-s?tra, the Buddha states that Samantabhadra Bodhisattva made ten great vows in his path to full Buddhahood:

To pay homage and respect to all Buddhas.
To praise the Thus Come One-Tathagata.
To make abundant offerings. (i.e. give generously)
To repent misdeeds and evil karmas.
To rejoice in others' merits and virtues.
To request the Buddhas to continue teaching.
To request the Buddhas to remain in the world.
To follow the teachings of the Buddhas at all times.
To accommodate and benefit all living beings.
To transfer all merits and virtues to benefit all beings.