Author Topic: Accepting both the good and the bad.  (Read 11104 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Accepting both the good and the bad.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
In more ways than one, I tend to find myself stuck at either direction and I cannot get my mind unstuck out of the said state. It's not exactly entirely about whether or not the states are temporary at those points of time but rather what can we do when we are stuck at either one state? What happens when the mind is physically wired to be in one of those states perpetually due to hormones or physical body chemistry? What can someone in that state do about it other than taking medications which does work, but on that brief moment of clarity, perhaps i guess the person would have to make a change in decisions so that he or she would be able to react in a better way.

pgdharma

Re: Accepting both the good and the bad.
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
It is a fact that things will happen to us in our lives which we will like and which we will dislike, and which will give us pleasure and which will give us pain. Of course we want the former and not the latter; yet we will get both.

When we get things we like, we will be happy and when we get things we don’t like we will be miserable; this is our human nature but in our modern lives where events happen so quickly and where instant gratification is often expected, life easily can become a rollercoaster – one minute up, the next down. In the midst of all turmoil we should not measure life by what is happening at any given moment, nor by what has happened over recent days. We should not react negatively to the bad things which were going on because firstly they would pass and secondly, all would be resolved in time. To quote William Shakespeare “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

What we have come to realize is that everything resolves itself in time and even though things might seem terrible, they are passing phases. However, what determines our well being is not what happens but how we deal with what happens. Things will happen – we have to accept it because it WILL happen to everyone including us. So let it happen, learn lessons from it and don’t fight it – all will be well in the end if we LET IT BE. “Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” - Lao Tzu